ARE YOU ORIGINAL A2Kr's Glad We Came, After All?

DrewDad

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 05:03 pm
@mark noble,
The more, the merrier.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 05:04 pm
@mark noble,
I think that once it settles down it will be one of the coolest things to ever happen to a2k. We gained many many valuable posters and it has already made the site much more interesting to me.

When the tools to filter forums are available I think everyone will have an easier time tailoring the topics to their liking (e.g. folk who don't like the philosophy influx will be able to filter the forum, and folks who just want the site to be about philosophy would be able to make it that way) and it will be even better, but the Philforum community is a very special one and is a very positive addition to a2k in my opinion.
Letty

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 05:07 pm
@mark noble,
Oops, well as Francis Bacon once observed: God invented war to teach Americans geography.Smile

Guess I was thinking about this place, Mark.

Raglan Rd
Sketty, Swansea SA2 9, UK
mark noble

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 05:20 pm
@Letty,
Letty wrote:

Oops, well as Francis Bacon once observed: God invented war to teach Americans geography.Smile

Guess I was thinking about this place, Mark.

Raglan Rd
Sketty, Swansea SA2 9, UK

Hi again Letty,
About a mile and a half from where I live. Where are you from Letty?
Mark...
Letty

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 05:36 pm
@mark noble,
Originally from Virginia, but now living in Florida.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 05:50 pm
I feel like I imagine anti war people who none the less support the troops feel.....I hate everything about why you are here, but I would do most anything to help you out now that you are ...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 06:07 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I'm kind of afraid that before you are set up to filter forums, you may have to take a more law-and-order approach to tagging, if tagging is what defines a forum. Too many tags are all noise and no signal.

I guess anything totally incomprehensible could be randomly assigned to either Politics or Religion.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 06:29 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Hi Folks,
You've had a little taste of both our collective and individual mindset by now. So tell me/us, what do you really think, and are you glad to have us on board?
Thank you, all. Be merry.
Mark...

Yes definitely! New blood is always welcome and it seems that some of you
have assimilated nicely already. All of you are exceptionally pleasant members, even criticism was written in a polite manner and constructive to a point. We (a2k) can emphasize of you being reluctant to change as we have had a format change not too long ago. For you philis there is an additional change - a merger with a new forum and perfect strangers and you're all handling it much better than some of us would.

I for one am delighted to have you philis at a2k!
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 06:57 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I'm very happy you're all here. I'm a little philosophy overwhelmed, but I'm also going to learn a lot, me being one of the least philosophy nuts and bolts inclined a2kers.

I am hoping a lot of the "original a2kers" will participate more in philosophy discussions. It is great to have new members and, speaking for myself, it is great to have new philosophy threads.

Here is something from one of my old college textbooks that may help you, osso:

Quote:
1. Do not try to arrive at ideas no one has ever thought of before. Even the greatest thinkers have rarely done that. The aim of thinking is to discover ideas that pull together one’s world, and thus one’s being, not to give birth to unprecedented conceptions. An idea is your own if it has grown by your own efforts and is rooted in your own emotions and experience, even though you may have received the seeds form someone else and even though the idea may be very much like ideas held by many others.

2. Be open. Ideas cannot be deliberately produced like industrial products. They appear uncommanded, they occur, as we recognize when we say, "It occurred to me that..." You place yourself in a fundamentally wrong relationship with ideas if you assume you can control their appearance. You can only be open to them.

3. Do not hurry. Initial efforts to think about a problem are often completely frustrating. They may best be regarded as a tilling of the ground; time is required before anything can be expected to grow.

4. Make plenty of notes. It is easier to work with your mind if you are doing some corresponding work with your hands. It is often helpful to make notes on large pads where there is room for sketching out patterns of ideas. It can also be helpful to make notes on cards and then to cut up the cards so that each idea is on a small piece of card. These can then be laid out on a desk and rearranged. Often this process suggests new connections among your thoughts.

5. Beware of substituting reading for thinking. Reading about the thoughts of others is not the same as having thoughts of your own. To be sure, to engage in thinking you need some acquaintance with the thoughts of others. The great thinkers inspire, provoke, confirm, and in other ways help you do your own thinking. But to think you must a some point lay down the book and strike out on your own.

-Glenn Tinder, "Political Thinking: The Perennial Questions"
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 07:06 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

... what do you really think, and are you glad to have us on board?

I mentioned it before- the Philosophy folks are a lot more fun than the previous orphans Robert brought home.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 07:12 pm
@Green Witch,
What ever happened to those Droid forumites?
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 07:13 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Hi Folks,
You've had a little taste of both our collective and individual mindset by now. So tell me/us, what do you really think, and are you glad to have us on board?
Mark...
Maybe it's because I got ADHD, but I don't understand these attention seeking posts which doesn't seemingly to me have any purpose or meaning other than stimulating the group think and flock instinct.

..I must be cold ..cold as ice!
roger

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 07:20 pm
@HexHammer,
Struck me as more ordinary curiosity than attention seeking. Now, when someone posts one of those "I am not appreciated here, and I'm leaving. Forever!" type threads, that's attention seeking. Also, not well received.
mark noble

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 07:21 pm
@HexHammer,
Hi Hex,
United we stand - Divided we fall.
I like interacting with people. Don't you?
Journey well sir.
Mark...
dlowan

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 08:05 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Hi Folks,
Mark...

Are we glad? I sure as hell am. It's fantastic!!!!!

I think you guys are going to bring a lot here, and I hope we bring a lot to you.

I think once you have all grieved a bit more (especially those doing a lot of grieving, and in the angry stage) you will see a lot of positives being here...especially as it looks as though you will be able to have your own mini-fora before too long, so you can still interact with the PhilForum Folk alone if you want to ).

I feel so welcoming of you my ears are spinning!!!

farmerman

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 08:05 pm
@mark noble,
I have added a whole nother dimension to my daily A2K journies. I am now being forced to rethink my worldview as a natural scientist. I used to consider myself as merely one who was "left leaning applied science guy" (with other interests too). Now I visit some of your phil phora pholk discussions and am becoming INTERESTED.

When I dont understand something I usually come right out and ask. When I talk in my sarea of main interest I sometimes resort to jargon so I must revert to my old sig line that implied:

"If I cant explain it simply, maybe I dont understand it as well as I thought"

Oh yeh,I **** up my posts with mucho typos. Its not deliberate, its structurl.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 08:08 pm
@G-Thomson,
G-Thomson wrote:

I must say that I'm starting to get the hang of this place and I'm enjoying it quite a bit.
I miss the old layout and colours though.
This white is WHITE!

You know we're hard-wired to be ultra-aware of difference, don't you?

I bet you'll not notice the white after a little while. Then you'll go back to a forum laid out like yours was, and moan about how it's so cluttered and cramped and you can't see nothing!
ehBeth

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 08:14 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
I bet you'll not notice the white after a little while.

actually, this is another reason I'm glad they are here.

Robert's seriously thinking about doing something about all the white. It was ick nearly 8 years ago, it's still ick, but it's finally on his agenda.
0 Replies

Khethil

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 08:22 pm
Well, I've decided to put a lid on my complaining and jump in whole-hog. I'm still in mourning, and do still feel hijacked but at a certain point one has to just shut up and start rowing or get out of the boat.

There's just too many good people to not give more of an honest shot.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 08:25 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

On the other hand, I'm somewhat reminded of folks who buy a house near the airport and then complain about the noise. Or, like my SIL, who moved into a house adjacent to a college campus and then complained that she couldn't sleep well at night because of the neighbors.

I know the users of the philoforum didn't ask to come here. I get the angst of being uprooted and dropped on another site. Trust me, I hate change -- I do get it. But I also think the pissing and whining has gone on long enough.

Someone (I don't remember who) made a comment about waiting to see if he/she was being treated as a paying guest. I almost lost it with that one. Anyone who feels they're being treated like a paying guest they should check their wallet. I don't think it's gotten any lighter from the stay.

I think that's a bit unfair.

The pissing and whining about the move to the new A2k went on for at least a month at cacophony level....and it's still going on in a few places!!!

I still recall the great piss and whine about some changes in Abuzz...you could have powered Manhattan for a day on the energy used and it went on for months.

I think what we perceive as whining is a perfectly normal grief response to a huge change for a close community.

They perforce had very little notice and, while I hope by now we all understand that that became a sad inevitability, I think it's been very hard for these new folk.