Circumcision; to be or not to be?

chai2

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 01:44 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

chai2 wrote:
drewdad, they really do keep asking that?

Yup. 15 might be an exaggeration.

Two shifts for three days, desk nurse, nurse assigned to us, pediatrician, lactation consultant, etc.

OK, maybe 10 times.

my mom had her babies really quick, like less than an hour.

my younger sister was practically born out in the hospital parking lot, and we lived only 15-20 minutes away.

she said some nurse came by to have her sign papers allowing them the circumcise the baby, and my mom said "but it's a girl"

"Yeah, but we didn't have time to have you sign it beforehand, and we just need it for the records, in case it had been a boy"

Another baby, one of my brothers, was not that interested in nursing at first, and would immediately doze off.
They brought her a baby to nurse, and the kid went to town. Mom looked in the diaper, they'd brought her a girl.
aidan

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 03:28 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
Another baby, one of my brothers, was not that interested in nursing at first, and would immediately doze off.
They brought her a baby to nurse, and the kid went to town. Mom looked in the diaper, they'd brought her a girl.

Now that's scary.

I think maybe the acceptance of the fact that we were choosing not to circumcise being readily accepted has to do with the fact that we were living in Philadelphia at the time and he was born right in the city - at Thomas Jefferson Hospital- which is a teaching hospital, so they saw all sorts of people of different nationalities and from all over the world giving birth. I doubt anyone who worked there was very shocked by anything.

Nobody gave me a hard time about my decision not to circumcise him. My father, husband, brothers, all of my brother-in-laws and all of my nephews (11) are circumcised-I just didn't think 'because everybody else is' was a good reason to subject him to pain.
He's never said anything about it one way or another. Maybe I'll ask him how he feels about it.

But I have a question. If the circumcised and uncircumcised penis is virtually the same during intercourse - where do they get these reports about increased or decreased stimulation depending on the presence of or lack of foreskin?
Yes, you can pull the foreskin back - but if it is still there, it is providing a thin layer of skin that has to make the overall sensation somewhat different than if it's totally gone.
Are there studies in which they've talked to adult men who've had sex before and after circumcision?
Those are the people I'd be inclined to listen to - everyone else is just theorizing.

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 04:08 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

aidan wrote:
But are 80% of babies still circumcised in the US? I thought that was changing- or at least it seemed to have been the trend when I gave birth - I know my pediatrician didn't push it one way or the other.

From my perspective, since we just had a little boy, the problem is that everyone in the damned hospital asks you if he's going to be circumcised.

We must've been asked that question 15 times in the first three days he was in the hospital. We had 'em write it on their board, and they still asked us.

And responses varied from a simple "OK", to a shocked "why not?!?!?"

And....

We researched circumcision prior to making the choice, and one thing that a lot of people mentioned is "he's not going to look like his father!"

Well, duh. He's not going to look like me in a lot of ways.

Policy here not to encourage it.

That "he's not going to look like you" thing is an incomprehensible mystery to me. Seems to be very strong in some fellas, though.
0 Replies

Paperheartstrings

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 04:11 pm
@Pangloss,
I meant removing it is simply for aesthetics. Studies claim it reduces feeling, yet actual men who have been circumcised also claim it doesn't hinder sensation. I think it's a person to person thing.
0 Replies

Paperheartstrings

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 04:32 pm
@shewolfnm,
I haven't, and I think that might be part of my initial reaction. After rolling it around a bit, I think I'm mostly okay with it. It was an overreaction on my part, partially, but I know it was a bit justified. Certain things will continue to stir emotions and memories whether a man is circumcised or uncircumcised for me. I don't think that's ever going to change. I'm sorry you've ever went through anything; it's unimaginable how heartless some people can be.

He's had a healthy and positive life sexually. I'm not sure if he was originally self conscious about it, but he's aware of my past, which normally causes him to question himself or what he does with me. I think that's probably why he offered. To him, our relationship isn't about the sex. Whether we're sexually compatible or not, he's not going anywhere. I know it may sound cliche, but he is in love and he's proven his commitment time and time again. Offering this is just another example of that. I think, to him, that having or not having a foreskin isn't what's on his mind. Neither is having sexual relations. He just simply wants to make anything sexual with me as comfortable as possible as he can.

I truly do appreciate your openness with me. It's nice to have a civilized conversation and not be judged about something that seems to be a sensitive subject for many.
Paperheartstrings

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 04:33 pm
@DrewDad,
Oh my, DrewDad, are you five? Act your age and not your IQ. I'm aware of how you feel. That doesn't mean I care, because don't get me wrong, I don't. You can stop bothering.
Paperheartstrings

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 04:39 pm
@aidan,
Well, it's a little bit lower than 80%. I was generalizing. About 76% of general US citizens are still circumcised. It's least popular in the west, and the south is second. It's most common in the Mideastern part of the US.

Personally, I agree with you. I don't think babies should have it taken away from them. They should be able to choose as an adult. I'm not for or against it in general though. I feel it's up to the person as an individual and whatever is best for their own lifestyle.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 04:50 pm
@Paperheartstrings,
<yawn>

Darlin', if you don't care then why are you still talkin' to me? Move along, sweetie. This is not the conversation you're looking for.
Eorl

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 07:21 pm
@Paperheartstrings,
I think he may react about the same way you would if he asked you to get some cosmetic surgery to make your face nicer. I think men invest a great deal of ego in that particular part of their bodies. Women probably won't understand that (and therefore think it foolish) but that doesn't make it untrue.
chai2

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 07:41 pm
@Paperheartstrings,
Paperheartstrings wrote:

After rolling it around a bit....

AAAAHHHHHH HAHAHAHAHA!

whoo wee <wiping eyes>
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 08:03 pm
@Pemerson,
I only read the first page.
I'm on the male side here.. and I'm a female. I would never think of asking that, it is very personal, and to me, not your business. I think it is your aesthetic/sexual problem, not his. I also remember reading that the surgery hurts a lot for an adult, not to mention changing the guy's sex organ. My reaction is ewwwwww to requesting that.
Further, if you would change your boobs for a guy... I think your boundaries are a little awry,
Paperheartstrings

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 09:19 pm
@DrewDad,
I'm still talking to you because you're incapable of realizing that your input is worthless to me. Adults rp'ing; what is this world coming to. And don't call me darling or sweetie as if I'm your child. That's just creepy. People like you make places like this pointless and unrewarding.
Paperheartstrings

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 09:21 pm
@Eorl,
I understand he has a point of view, although the question wasn't aimed at him. He can nicely tell me he opposes it and dislikes it. I'm fine with that. I tried to be polite.

I may not personally have an idea about how a man feels about themselves in that sense, but I do understand it's a delicate subject to most. I wouldn't ever call it foolish.
0 Replies

Paperheartstrings

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 09:28 pm
@ossobuco,
You're entitled to your opinion. I'm not uncomfortable with my self image and a body is just a canvas for personal expression in my opinion. If I choose to enhance a body part, get a piercing, or a tattoo; that is really my choice. Of course, I wouldn't solely change my body because my partner suggested it. I'd have to want it also.

First off, I never asked/requested him to change himself. In our relationship, everything is considered the others' business. He offered me for personal reasons. I've told him not to do anything. I don't consider a personal preference a problem either.

You people keep forgetting I've changed my stance to the male's side, so why are you still after me about me 'having problems'? As far as your view is concerned, I don't have any. It would help to read previous replies before getting judgmental. I believe A2K is beyond help.
Krumple

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 09:37 pm
@shewolfnm,
shewolfnm wrote:

Pangloss wrote:

Paperheartstrings wrote:

but it does not hinder the sexual experience for a man. It's only aesthetic.

Actually, this is incorrect. That skin is there for more than aesthetics. There are apparently lots of people who get circumcised later on in life, and sensation can be greatly reduced...so, yes, it would be a sacrifice of more than just some skin.

I wanted to hit on that too for much the same reason.
You are removing nerve endings. Yes, sex will still FEEL good, but it will never feel the same.

The soft skin helps to keep the penis soft. Not chaffed and tough. After a while, the loss of protection from the foreskin will cause the penis skin to harden a bit from the friction of jeans, underwear, shorts.. you name it. The skin will toughen up. When that happens , it loses sensitivity.

I don't agree with this at all. You usually have some well thought out things to say, so don't take this as an attack but i disagree completely here. i can speak for myself, and im a pretty analytical person, from my experience it seems that a majority of the time, sex is probably 80% psychological and the rest being physical. sensitivity is (for me) not a problem, but then again maybe i am an exception to the rule?

but maybe i should put it this way since i am circumcised, that had i not been, i think walking around would be a problem. 8)
roger

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 09:44 pm
@Krumple,
I don't know. Them Greeks seem to have gotten around alright. You ever seen some of those statues?
Krumple

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 09:51 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

I don't know. Them Greeks seem to have gotten around alright. You ever seen some of those statues?

yeah but didn't they wear robes? i know that might be a stupid question but clothing is everything, isn't it?
roger

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 09:58 pm
@Krumple,
Well, yeah, robes - except when the were posing or wrestling. Like they say, Krumple, "You can get used to anything if you do it long enough. Even hanging". Anyhow, while I bet the girls can't imagine how we even manage to walk with all that junk flapping around, I don't imagine the uncircumcised have any problem at all. Now, immediately after the operation, I'm sure a nice comfy robe would be most welcome.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 09:58 pm
@Paperheartstrings,
I did read further and did not change my mind. You might read your own first post again.

I have nothing to say if a person chooses varies body modifications at their own behest.
Pangloss

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 10:06 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:

I don't agree with this at all. You usually have some well thought out things to say, so don't take this as an attack but i disagree completely here. i can speak for myself, and im a pretty analytical person, from my experience it seems that a majority of the time, sex is probably 80% psychological and the rest being physical. sensitivity is (for me) not a problem, but then again maybe i am an exception to the rule?

but maybe i should put it this way since i am circumcised, that had i not been, i think walking around would be a problem. 8)

It seems that you've only experienced one side of the coin. So have I, but there are many studies and anecdotal reports that support the fact that foreskin is more than just about aesthetics. Though the studies do conflict as to whether or not sensitivity is increased or decreased, or as to whether or not the patient was satisfied with the outcome...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18481425

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11956453

Quote:
"Adult circumcision appears to result in worsened erectile function (p = 0.01), decreased penile sensitivity (p = 0.08), no change in sexual activity (p = 0.22) and improved satisfaction (p = 0.04). Of the men 50% reported benefits and 38% reported harm. Overall, 62% of men were satisfied with having been circumcised."

It seems that it's just kind of the luck of the draw...maybe some of these guys are getting better surgeons?