Can Any Two Things Be Identical???

Fido

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 10:46 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

JLNobody wrote:

If two "things" were identical they would be the same thing.

Now, if only you had a good argument for that, you would be all set.

The obvious does not need support... All Identical things are the same thing... All trees are trees... All dogs are dog.... See what I mean; the same thing...
kennethamy

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 11:08 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

JLNobody wrote:

The obvious does not need support... All Identical things are the same thing... All trees are trees... All dogs are dog.... See what I mean; the same thing...

In which case, you are just begging the question, since it clearly is not obvious to those who think that A and B can share all the same qualities, and still be two different things. And it really will not do to say that it is obvious that is not true, since, "It is obvious" is not an argument. And it leads to the conclusion that the person who says that it is obvious is simply being dogmatic. What you say is obvious might turn out to be true, but not because it is obvious since those people who think that what you think is obviously true is not true at all, don't find what you insist is obvious, obvious. (Sometimes telling someone who disagrees with you that it is obvious that what you say is true, is just another way of saying that unless he agrees with you, he is a fool). History is littered with the bones of those who insisted that something was obvious when it turned out that it was no such thing. We can begin with the insistence that the parallel postulate of Euclid's geometry was self-evident (another way of saying "obvious"). It turned out that discovering that the parallel postulate was not only not obvious, but not even necessarily true, led to the discovery of non-Euclidean geometries.
fresco

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 11:45 pm
@kennethamy,
Quote:
In which case, you are just begging the question, since it clearly is not obvious to those who think that A and B can share all the same qualities, and still be two different things. And it really will not do to say that it is obvious that is not true, since, "It is obvious" is not an argument. And it leads to the conclusion that the person who says that it is obvious is simply being dogmatic. What you say is obvious might turn out to be true, but not because it is obvious since those people who think that what you think is obviously true is not true at all, don't find what you insist is obvious, obvious. (Sometimes telling someone who disagrees with you that it is obvious that what you say is true, is just another way of saying that unless he agrees with you, he is a fool). History is littered with the bones of those who insisted that something was obvious when it turned out that it was no such thing. We can begin with the insistence that the parallel postulate of Euclid's geometry was self-evident (another way of saying "obvious"). It turned out that discovering that the parallel postulate was not only not obvious, but not even necessarily true, led to the discovery of non-Euclidean geometries.

What a hypocrite ! How many times have you appealed to "everyday common knowledge" in your rambling diatribes ?

fresco

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 12:22 am
@fresco,
BTW You haven't got a hope of knowing what JLN is talking about because you want t0 play truth table games. Your elementary "logic" relies on static set membership, independent of the act of assignment of such membership by observers. But the concept of "identity" is inextricably linked to the thoughts and actions of observers. (Read my post above on observer states). The understanding that the very usage of "words" suggests "persistent states" is the key to dissipating the pseudo-problem of "identity".

And just to correct you on geometry, new geometries are constructed NOT discovered. Naive realism rides again with its axiom of "uncovering reality" !
0 Replies

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 12:33 am
I guess not... I think every particle is unique in it's information content. I would be supprised if two or more Higgs-particles (?) could exits at the same Time.
ACB

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 06:13 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
JLNobody wrote:

In the real world, one way in which two separate objects must differ is that they must experience a different set of gravitational forces, due to their different position relative to the other objects around them. Even if one does not regard spatial location as a property in itself, the experience of a particular gravitational pull is clearly a property.

Therefore, in a universe containing other objects, two separate objects A and B cannot have all their properties the same, so they cannot be identical.
kennethamy

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 06:45 am
@ACB,
ACB wrote:

kennethamy wrote:
JLNobody wrote:

In the real world, one way in which two separate objects must differ is that they must experience a different set of gravitational forces, due to their different position relative to the other objects around them. Even if one does not regard spatial location as a property in itself, the experience of a particular gravitational pull is clearly a property.

Therefore, in a universe containing other objects, two separate objects A and B cannot have all their properties the same, so they cannot be identical.

When you say that in "the real world" something is true, I suppose you mean that although it is possible for it not to be true, it is, in fact true. So, in this context, what you are saying is that although it is possible for two things to have all their properties in common, it never, in fact happens. Of course, the question that philosophers have asked is whether it is possible for two objects to have all their properties in common, not whether there are any cases of it. Of course, if there are cases of it, then it is possible for it to be true, since if something is actual, it is possible. But the converse is not true, namely, if it is possible, then it is actual.
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 06:45 am
@kennethamy,
Can we not agree ?
kennethamy

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 06:48 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep wrote:

Can we not agree ?

Of course. If you agree with me, we can. But if you do not, then we cannot.
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 06:48 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
Cannot believe I said so... Mr. Green 2 Cents Drunk
0 Replies

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 06:59 am
@kennethamy,
I am trolly sorry Kenn, I choose Myself.
kennethamy

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 07:11 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep wrote:

I am trolly sorry Kenn, I choose Myself.

Yes, to err is human. And you are all too human.
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 07:15 am
@kennethamy,
I am
kennethamy

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 07:24 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep wrote:

I am

But some error is enough. It is not necessary to be mistaken as much as you are in order to be human. Moderation in all things.
0 Replies

ACB

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 07:58 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
When you say that in "the real world" something is true, I suppose you mean that although it is possible for it not to be true, it is, in fact true. So, in this context, what you are saying is that although it is possible for two things to have all their properties in common, it never, in fact happens. Of course, the question that philosophers have asked is whether it is possible for two objects to have all their properties in common, not whether there are any cases of it. Of course, if there are cases of it, then it is possible for it to be true, since if something is actual, it is possible. But the converse is not true, namely, if it is possible, then it is actual.

It may be that it is logically possible for two objects to have all their properties in common, although I am not sure about that. But such a possibility would require either (a) that the universe contains no other objects, or (b) that the other objects in the universe exert no gravitational pull, or (c) that they exert gravitational pull in some weird ad-hoc way that results in the two objects experiencing exactly the same set of forces. Unless (a), (b) or (c) is the case, it is not even logically possible for two objects to have all the same properties - for the reason I gave in my previous post.

If we are talking about bare logical possibilities, let me remind you that it is logically possible that Quito is not the capital of Ecuador, or that unicorns exist, or that you are a brain in a vat. If you don't think these possibilities are of much philosophical interest, why should the logical possibility of two identical objects be any more interesting?
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 08:01 am
Can Any two Boeings have the same Identity ?
kennethamy

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 11:13 am
@ACB,
ACB wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

If we are talking about bare logical possibilities, let me remind you that it is logically possible that Quito is not the capital of Ecuador, or that unicorns exist, or that you are a brain in a vat. If you don't think these possibilities are of much philosophical interest, why should the logical possibility of two identical objects be any more interesting?

You are confusing issues. One issue is whether it is only contingently or necessarily impossible that two things share the same properties. That is one question. The other issue is about the nature of knowledge, and whether knowledge implied certainty. I have never argued that to know is to imply that it is not logically impossible to be mistaken because that possibility is not "of much philosophical interest". That would be simply an irrelevant consideration for the problem of knowledge or, so far as I can tell, any other philosophical problem, since I have no idea how to determine whether something is of philosophical interest or not, and neither, I bet, do you. On the contrary, my argument that knowledge does not imply that what is known is a necessary truth depend (for one thing) on having shown that view commits a modal fallacy. Not on whether it is of no philosophical interest that knowledge implies that what we know is necessarily true (whatever that comes to). And you will not be able to show me any place where I did make what I consider to be an idiotic argument of that kind. It is disappointing that after all the back and forth we have had, that you should think first that kind of argument had any role in my discussion of whether knowledge implies certainty, and second, that I would even employ such an idiotic consideration as the "philosophical interest" one. The second is far more disappointing than the first.
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 11:16 am
@kennethamy,
I changed my mind Ami
Cool o 8-]
kennethamy

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 11:21 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep wrote:

I changed my mind Ami
Cool o 8-]

That sound like a good idea. Any change in that direction would be all to the good.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 11:49 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep wrote:

Can Any two Boeings have the same Identity ?

All humans are human...Human, is an identity... All Americans are Americans... Americans is an identity... So, yes...