Who is Alvin Greene and does he have a snowball's chance in hell of winning the SC senatorial seat?

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 12:20 pm
South Carolina head scratcher: More curiosities in election of Alvin Greene:
The question of how Alvin Greene, a discharged Army soldier living with his dad, won a major US senatorial primary tests South Carolina's bounds of credulity.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politics/2010/0612/South-Carolina-head-scratcher-More-curiosities-in-election-of-Alvin-Greene
Quote:
By Patrik Jonsson, Staff writer / June 12, 2010

Atlanta
Is he a working class hero, proof that anyone can make it in politics? Or did someone put Alvin Greene up to it, paying his way to sabotage the Democratic statewide primary to take pressure off South Carolina Republican incumbent Sen. Jim DeMint?

As calls for an investigation into Mr. Greene's surprise election widened on Saturday, more irregularities cropped up as details emerged about a US Senate race that, in essence, pitted a well-known candidate, Charleston County Council member Vic Rawl "" who logged nearly 17,000 miles on the campaign trail "" against a jobless guy who lives with his dad and who described his own campaign as "nothing fancy." Greene came away with 59 percent of the vote, to Rawl's 41 percent.

So far, there are far more questions than answers in the curious case of Alvin Greene, the Senate candidate with $114 in his campaign chest.

For the rest of the article:
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politics/2010/0612/South-Carolina-head-scratcher-More-curiosities-in-election-of-Alvin-Greene

nimh

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 04:07 pm
PubliuSC did a radio interview with Alvin Greene. This tape clips together some of the questions and answers. Almost seven minutes of very, very painful, stunning failure at articulation. He just doesn't seem to be quite there.

The last two minutes are especially baffling:

There's also this video collage of Greene's recent TV interviews:

The Alvin Greene Interviews: A TPMtv Collage
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 06:20 pm
@nimh,
UGGGH!

Eeggads!! I had to stop it at the one minute mark. He better pull his act together and soon or the Republican candidate will end up with 90% of the vote in the election.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 05:41 am
Speaking as a South Carolinian, no, I don't think he has a chance of winning. His own party is doing all they can to get him to back out of the race so they can put up a viable candidate. No way he beats DeMint in November.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 09:16 am
Conservative radiojock Laura Ingraham has a field day with the hapless Alvin Greene ... click the link that should be at the top of the page there, that says "Alvin Greene plays "This or That"' ... the Mean Meets the Clueless.

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 12:08 pm
@nimh,
The poor guy needs to call it quits before he gets into legal trouble regarding the Federal Election Commission's rules on political donations. Something tells me he's not properly reporting any of his donations not because he maybe crooked but simply because he doesn't have the wherewithal or the accounting knowledge to run such a campaign.

I felt the interview with this gent was a fair and rightfully patronizing given his uberenaive/arrogant attempt at running for the US Senate.

A person with one word answers shouldn't run for higher office. He's like a parrot. He "plays sports ... um watch sports. Listen[s] to music ... music concerts...." He's not quick witted enough to answer such softball questions in less vague terms?! He needs softball follow-up questions to prod him into details for the cheesy human interest level questions and he fails to articulate any reasonable responses about his own personal life in which he should be an expert.

And when it comes to the almighty political issues of the day? If he fails with these grade school level human interest questions? How should we expect him to articulate any reasonable policy answers and solutions when it obviously appears he has no grasp of what's going on around him: socially, culturally, politically, academically, poetically, etc....
~~

How about this just-improvised theory of our dear lightheaded friend from South Carolina:

He's actually a mentally retarded alien from another planet where a group of mean-spirited bully aliens duped him into thinking he could run for a higher office so he can get the planet ready for his home world's inevitable invasion.

Perhaps he's the willing alien version of the Manchurian Candidate for an alien invasion that will never happen. These bullies are sitting up there in their low Earth orbit in their cloaked space ship laughing at Alvin's expense. Knowing there never will be an invasion and that he'll remain here on Earth as the butt of the political joke for both liberals and conservatives.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 12:47 pm
Leave Alvin alone!!!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 02:51 pm
His incompetency is stunning, that's for sure. We've all seen a lot of incompetent politicians, but this one - if you can call him that much - can't even talk.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 03:23 pm
Yes I do seem to agree with most of what you all have said. The only problem that I see is that most of the so called facts of mine that I see are like this [some what].

The problem is that many do not have confidence in the people that are already in office.
Most people believe that people in office are corrupt.
With this perception I will not be suprised that the mojority will vote for him in the hope that he will serve their interest.
0 Replies