The Next Time A2K Absorbs A Board.........

salima

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 08:46 am
@msolga,
hi msolga-
the thing is, we also had a wide variety of ideas and opinions and a lot of hot debates. of course we always knew who would be on which side of the issues, but it didnt matter. we also covered as wide a range of subjects there as are here, and there was also more going on behind the scenes in private messages and some of us emailed each other and have become really good friends. we also had a great mix of serious and light-we would be going through four pages of a heavy argument and someone would come in with a one-liner that would actually make me laugh out loud (and i dont laugh very easy) and it was grand. but it was less than more, just the right mix for me.

sure there was a lot of the old stale questions (you have them too, i.e. 'circumsism to be or not to be) but there were newer members who would show up and sometimes put new life into them. there are only so many philosophical questions to be asked, you know? but the thing is we keep asking and want to know what other people think, or some of us just want to tell others what we think, so it isnt even the questions that matter.

i havent run into any of the negative members that other people have, i have seen some clever, caustic, compassionate, humorous and entertaining posts. i think this is a nice place to visit, but i am not sure i can live here either...
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 08:59 am
I think it is well past time to debate the concept, to ask whether this plan to buy forums and kill them in the attempt to grow a2k can ever work to grow a2k, and even if it can is this good for a2k, and even if it is good for a2k is this action morally right.
msolga

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 09:02 am
@salima,
Hi Salima.
Nice to finally speak with you. I have really enjoyed reading your posts on a number threads. I haven't actually participated in many of those threads, but I've certainly enjoyed reading.

Quote:
we also covered as wide a range of subjects there as are here, and there was also more going on behind the scenes in private messages and some of us emailed each other and have become really good friends. we also had a great mix of serious and light-we would be going through four pages of a heavy argument and someone would come in with a one-liner that would actually make me laugh out loud (and i dont laugh very easy) and it was grand. but it was less than more, just the right mix for me.

Smile You know, you could be describing what A2K is, to many of us here. Interesting ...

I'm wondering, actually, whether some of you feel a little overwhelmed by us all being thrown together so suddenly? The culture clash thing. I'm also wondering if some of us embraced your threads a little too enthusiastically, a little too fast, for some of you? (If you understand what I mean. Wink ) Or perhaps a few reserved "philosophy people only" threads might have been a good idea, till your group found your feet here? Anyway, just thinking out loud.

Theaetetus

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 09:10 am
@dlowan,
The threads are rather difficult to find--probably because I don't remember what forums they were in. I was kind of on hiatus for a six month period as a posting member of the forum, and had little time to read through the forum on occasion. I tended to only have time to tend to moderator functions due to school, and the overload due to half the staff disappearing right after the sale of the forum.

All that "can we prove that we exist?" and such was always there, but it was usually new members that would stand up the beaten horse for another beating. I will find some of the classic threads that I remember today since I am both sick and have the day off.
0 Replies

Theaetetus

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 09:17 am
@msolga,
I am not planning on leaving. It's just that the amount of work to do is rather daunting. The tagging system is rather odd after the transfer, and seems very clumsy for philosophy. A thread on Kierkegaard could be tagged "philosophy," "philosophers," "morality," "existentialism," and "Christianity" and then it looses its most relevant forum--"Kierkegaard." Thus, if you look in the Kierkegaard forum, the thread has oddly disappeared because people had tagged it with more popular tags. And I don't think many members care enough to go back and retag their own threads so our organization is rather jacked as a result.
msolga

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 09:36 am
@Theaetetus,
Quote:
I am not planning on leaving.

I'm glad to hear that, Theaetetus.

Quote:
It's just that the amount of work to do is rather daunting. The tagging system is rather odd after the transfer, and seems very clumsy for philosophy.

Ah. I've found it pretty hard to find some of the philosophy threads I've been interested in, too. (I should have put them on email update.) But there was such a rush of them, in so short a time. Actually, I'm thinking it might not be that difficult for your members to retag their own threads (how many would each individual member have started?) .. the trick would be working out the tags which best suit your group & would be easily identified by all your members, I'm guessing. As to the logistics of how that could be achieved, I'm not sure. Group discussion/meeting? On your roll call thread? (Trying to be helpful, but I'm not sure of how helpful I've actually been. Smile )

0 Replies

Theaetetus

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 09:41 am
@dlowan,
Here are a few of the better threads I found in a couple places.

http://able2know.org/topic/146415-1
http://able2know.org/topic/149096-1
http://able2know.org/topic/150218-1
http://able2know.org/topic/149088-1
http://able2know.org/topic/147144-1 - This thread lists our top threads by stats. I am sure some classic arguments happened in many of these.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 10:45 am
On tagging one's own threads, I did that when a2k changed to tagging. I have, mmm, 1400 threads, although at that time, it was more like 1100. It took me a couple of weeks, off and on, but was sort of fun.
0 Replies

salima

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 11:02 am
@hawkeye10,
you mean you think we should debate it or you think we should get over it?

someone could start a thread in ethics area...
0 Replies

salima

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 11:14 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Hi Salima.
Nice to finally speak with you. I have really enjoyed reading your posts on a number threads. I haven't actually participated in many of those threads, but I've certainly enjoyed reading.

Quote:
we also covered as wide a range of subjects there as are here, and there was also more going on behind the scenes in private messages and some of us emailed each other and have become really good friends. we also had a great mix of serious and light-we would be going through four pages of a heavy argument and someone would come in with a one-liner that would actually make me laugh out loud (and i dont laugh very easy) and it was grand. but it was less than more, just the right mix for me.

Smile You know, you could be describing what A2K is, to many of us here. Interesting ...

I'm wondering, actually, whether some of you feel a little overwhelmed by us all being thrown together so suddenly? The culture clash thing. I'm also wondering if some of us embraced your threads a little too enthusiastically, a little too fast, for some of you? (If you understand what I mean. Wink ) Or perhaps a few reserved "philosophy people only" threads might have been a good idea, till your group found your feet here? Anyway, just thinking out loud.

in case you didnt notice, i am following you! i like your posts too, especially when you got into it with robert (hee hee!)

i dont think segregating us is the fix...have thought about it myself too and i dont know what it is. it just may be that we are misfits and wont fit...but if we are segregated then what was the point of throwing us in here? if any of you wanted you could have come and joined the philosophyforum....i watched new members come sometimes 10 or 12 in a day and most of them disappeared. but those who stayed were of like mind though all opinions represented and a complete array of personalities (and personality disorders).

if there were only about 100 of us regular posters...and half of us didnt decide to give this a try...and how many of those still trying will give up...was there any point to this? nothing will have been lost by a2k and maybe a few new members gained, heaven knows you dont really need any more members, so did this really work out? and philosophyforum is gone.

i really do like so many of the members here...but i just cant seem to think of anything to say to y'all...and i dont know why.

ehBeth

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 11:22 am
@salima,
salima wrote:
what was the point of throwing us in here?

would it have been better to simply shut down PF?
salima

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 11:24 am
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus wrote:

Here are a few of the better threads I found in a couple places.

http://able2know.org/topic/146415-1
http://able2know.org/topic/149096-1
http://able2know.org/topic/150218-1
http://able2know.org/topic/149088-1
http://able2know.org/topic/147144-1 - This thread lists our top threads by stats. I am sure some classic arguments happened in many of these.

most of those threads are pretty technical. how did you rate them 'better'?
not that i am arguing, but i would try and find some subjects that might be more mainstream...and i am really interested in that last link...

and thanks ever so much for the one that had new mysterianism! i was looking for him, he was great-another of my friends who got banned from the old forum.

if only i could remember some of the ones...well when i find at least three of them, i will post them here.
Krumple

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 11:26 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

salima wrote:
what was the point of throwing us in here?

would it have been better to simply shut down PF?

perhaps but there could have been other options. We could have opted for public support to help maintain the site. Many people donated but i think more would have donated even more had they known the site was going to disappear. So many had invested a lot of effort and time in their discussions only to have them now washed out and scattered.
0 Replies

salima

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 11:32 am
@ehBeth,
it is shut down, isnt it?
ehBeth

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 11:34 am
@salima,
shut down - without anything being moved over (or saved to move over)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 11:34 am
@salima,
The content is here though, no?
ehBeth

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 11:36 am
@sozobe,
like this ...

http://able2know.org/topic/148511-1

Theaetetus

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 11:43 am
@ehBeth,
That was a classic. There is a reason why we were able to weed out things of the sort from the board. There was another aliens thread going on at about the same time by the same member. GHOST never found any followers so he left.
0 Replies

salima

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 11:45 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

take a look at the last post on that one-a perfect example of a one-liner that had me rolling in the aisles. i never looked into that thread by the way, but those things were there for people who were interested-large number of views, aint it?
salima

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 11:49 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

The content is here though, no?

well some of it is, but whatever it was that was on my list i havent really found much of.

by the way, i loved the thread about the daughter who confronted the bully...that was you, wasnt it? but i couldnt think of anything i could say that would add to it, it was kind of all covered.
0 Replies