The Next Time A2K Absorbs A Board.........

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 10:52 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
I don't want to seem defensive on his behalf, but I think it's a bit tough for him to be doing all this work to try to repair the damage from being forced into doing something the exact way he didn't want to do it because of an emergency, and also to have folk telling him he should do it the exact way he had planned to do it.

Thanks. Everything is easy for the man who doesn't have to do it himself and the incessant suggestions that we do more hand holding are incredibly annoying.

PhilosophyForum was purchased last year, we had slow plans for integration that had to change. We don't have an army of people to do the work others so freely suggest for us.

We are volunteers. This is offered as-is.

I wish folks like msolga would eventually get that.
msolga

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 10:54 am
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:

We are volunteers. This is offered as-is.

I wish folks like msolga would eventually get that.

I think I already do get that Robert.

I haven't criticized you in any way.
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 10:57 am
@msolga,
No, but you are always quick to suggest a metric shitload of extra hand holding work for me without any consideration at all as to whether I have the time to do the work you so freely suggest others do.

It's incredibly annoying, because it almost invariably comes at a time when I am not sleeping for nearly a week and don't have any more to give.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 10:59 am
somebody needs a nap...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 10:59 am
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
No, but you are always quick to suggest a metric shitload of extra hand holding work for me without any consideration at all as to whether I have the time to do the work you so freely suggest others do.

Where have I done this on this thread?

Show me.
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 11:05 am
@msolga,
I'm not just talking about this thread.
msolga

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 11:05 am
@Robert Gentel,
Which thread are you talking about then?
mismi

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 11:07 am
@Rockhead,
I have never thought of this place as normal. Bunch of weirdos.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 11:10 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
a metric shitload of extra hand holding work for me

well, that is precisely what djjd's post http://able2know.org/topic/152774-1#post-4167536 was about - trying to suggest a way that existing members here could perhaps be more helpful in responding to the newly arrived

the technical side of the merge is one thing - making it mean something by having the new members stay is another

If you measure the success by some percentage of new members who stayed longer than a week or two, have previous merges worked?

I would totally love the merges to be successful, and I'd certainly be onside with trying to help in any 'social' way possible. Not sure if that means more or less interaction with new members (each group would probably require slightly different approaches).
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 11:12 am
@msolga,
Many of them, you've made many many suggestions about how I should do extra hand holding for you even in cases that didn't really affect you at all (for example you said you deserved advanced notification about the droid forum, and that was a dead forum averaging less than 1 post a day).

It isn't just one thread, but seems like a theme to me of wanting me to do more hand holding all the time.
dlowan

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 11:13 am
@ehBeth,
I think a lot of A2kers have really tried to be welcoming and helpful...but you're right...don't want to overwhelm them.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 11:15 am
@Robert Gentel,
oh - just to be clear - I don't think we (the existing members) need "hand-holding" when there are going to be merges

It's great when you do have the opportunity to announce them - gives the keeners a chance to ready the welcome mat - but I don't think there's a need for you to do that for our benefit.

0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 11:25 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
If you measure the success by some percentage of new members who stayed longer than a week or two, have previous merges worked?

The droid forum was a dead forum, and worked as well as it was expected to (we get a small trickle of people coming here a day from those topics) and I am working with other android board members to do some consolidation here (more android forum members may be in the works) to generate activity but they didn't have activity on the droid forum either, there was not enough network effect for it there or here.

This is not a very similar case though, this is an active forum and we are going to have many new active members here for a long time. I do define success here as member retention, but don't think the droid activity levels say much about what the philforum ones will be. The droid forum had a few hundred total members and averaged something like .7 posts a day. The philosophy forum is an active forum with many posts a day and we certainly are going to get valuable regulars for a long time out of it. So yeah, I'd define anything less than that as unsuccessful here but have no illusions that this will be like the import of a dead forum.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 11:27 am
The philosophy folks are a lot more fun than the droid folks. Just sayin'.
msolga

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 11:29 am
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
Many of them, you've made many many suggestions about how I should do extra hand holding for you even in cases that didn't really affect you at all (for example you said you deserved advanced notification about the droid forum, and that was a dead forum averaging less than 1 post a day).

It isn't just one thread, but seems like a theme to me of wanting me to do more hand holding all the time.

I do not recall ever requesting that you do any, say nothing of more "hand holding", Robert. And I absolutely dispute it is some sort of "theme" I constantly express here. It isn't. You are doing me a disservice in suggesting that.

I do recall, however, expressing concerns about the Droids amalgamation into A2k.
I do recall saying that their amalgamation into this forum could have been handled better, with more notification. As I recall, you agreed with me. And also said that there were plans to employ a person to undertake this sort of (publicity?) function in the future.
I believed that discourse between you & me ended quite amicably.

I don't recall ever saying we "deserved" notification.

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 11:39 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
I do recall saying that their amalgamation into this forum could have been handled better, with more notification. As I recall, you agreed with me. And also said that there were plans to employ a person to undertake this sort of (publicity?) function in the future.

You have an odd perspective, what you did was so thoroughly frustrate me that I swore off having anything to do with hand holding and told you that this service is offered AS-IS. But that's one way to put it, that I agreed with you and had plans to "employ" someone else to do it. My perspective was that I was so fed up with the role that I wanted nothing to do with a2k leadership.

Thing is, I asked around for others in my company to do it and nobody else wanted anywhere near the job. This is a free forum of volunteers as-is, we don't have money to "employ" a customer service person either.
djjd62

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 11:51 am
@dlowan,
is there a list of other forums that A2K is associated with, i'd be curious to see, until the motorola board and now this i didn't know any such thing existed
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 11:51 am
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:

The philosophy folks are a lot more fun than the droid folks. Just sayin'.

Friggin A we are!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 11:55 am
@Robert Gentel,

I'm sorry, but that isn't any sort of response to what I said.
Nor to the discussion you & I about the Droid amalgamation.
I so thoroughly frustrated you?
I expressed an opinion. As a member of this community. I would have thought that was an OK thing to do.
You assume I'm attacking you when I'm absolutely not.
You really disappoint me, Robert.

I know you were fed up with the (PR) role & didn't want to do it. You said that during our discussion about the Droid amalgamation.

I know absolutely nothing about what negotiations went on in your company about the PR job. All I know is that you wanted someone other than you to undertake that side of the job. That's what you said to me in our discussion.
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 12:02 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
I'm sorry, but that isn't any sort of response to what I said.

Yes it is, you take issue with my perspective that you incessantly suggest more work for me, but we clearly just have different perspectives on the exchanges.

In any case, I can live with failing to convince you that you are a high-maintenance forum person and it's just a frustration that comes with the territory to have a lot of opinionated cooks in the kitchen when operating forums and is not a big deal to me beyond my moments of frustration with it.