Philforum Focus Group

ughaibu

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 03:10 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
Please add to this. Especially any minor annoyances that I can get rid of quickly.
I go to the philosophy page to see new posts. It would be really nice if threads were to stop appearing after I have looked at them and until something new is again posted in them.
jgweed

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 05:12 am
Just as a note from another thread and a follow up to a PM between Weed and Robert ; increase the (number or time limit) for editing posts after submitted. Ideally, there should be no limit to the number of times a post can be edited, and the time limit should be at least six hours. I understand the exceptional case where a post could be completely changed after quite a few replies, but this is the exception, and I am sure the community will "call" the Member about it.
G-Thomson

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 05:20 am
Don't know if it's already been put forward, but if you are posting a detailed reply to a thread and wish to look back on previous posts while typing it, you have to copy your paragraph, click 'Read Discussion' then click 'Reply to All' again and paste in what you copied.
Is there not a way in which you are able to type up a reply and read previous comments at the same time?

Edit: For a theme, I liked the colours used in PF.
0 Replies

Twirlip

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 05:22 am
@jgweed,
jgweed wrote:

Just as a note from another thread and a follow up to a PM between Weed and Gentel ; increase the (number or time limit) for editing posts after submitted. Ideally, there should be no limit to the number of times a post can be edited, and the time limit should be at least six hours.

Agreed, but the rule that you can't edit after someone has replied is a good one, although it can be frustrating! (In another thread, I was just comparing our situation to Lost, and I didn't think to mention Locke - damn!)
0 Replies

lazymon

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 06:18 am
Would it be such a bad idea for the admins to administer the forum topics and threads, or does that go completely against what the forum is trying to accomplish. For instance on the old Philforum, I click on Religion > Abrahamic Religions > Christianity to navigate ALL posts regarding Christianity on the entire forum. Now I have to search and be creative with coming up with search tags to find all christianity topics. Also I am kind of confused, after clicking on religion, it offered me topics like "Gay" and "homosexuality". Are those really religions? Suprize buttsex? Cmon!

http://perfect-dawn.com/images/what.jpg
G-Thomson

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 06:30 am
@lazymon,
lazymon wrote:

Also I am kind of confused, after clicking on religion, it offered me topics like "Gay" and "homosexuality". Are those really religions? Suprize buttsex? Cmon!

And the Lord thus did say, "Oooooh matron!"
ughaibu

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 06:32 am
@G-Thomson,
G-Thomson wrote:

lazymon wrote:

Also I am kind of confused, after clicking on religion, it offered me topics like "Gay" and "homosexuality". Are those really religions? Suprize buttsex? Cmon!

And the Lord thus did say, "Oooooh matron!"
It would be nice to see where other members are, so as to judge whether they're likely to understand jokes such as that above.
djjd62

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 06:40 am
@ughaibu,
this canadian chuckled

as for topics such as homosexuality being in the religion forum, one of the biggest arguments against gay marriage comes from the religious community, so it's a topic that resonates with religion, and politics, and sociology and......
lazymon

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 06:43 am
@djjd62,
well couldn't we just put the gays in the sexuality topic?

My point is I like "threaded" categories with relevant topics that are administered by a human and not a bot...
djjd62

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 06:46 am
@lazymon,
because some of the discussions revolve around the religious attitude to homosexuality

i'm one of those weird folks who never uses the topics, in my little world everything is interconnected, i just cruise the board looking for titles that interest me, or i use the "my posts" tab
lazymon

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 06:49 am
@djjd62,
I do the same, but after a few minutes of getting attention deficit disorder I would like some order Smile
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 06:54 am
@lazymon,
Quote:
well couldn't we just put the gays in the sexuality topic?

I don't think that trying to put discussions in little compartments is possible if you are dealing with interesting topics with any depth.

There are discussions about the role of religion in opposition to gay marriage-- does this belong in the religion topic, or in the sexuality topic?

Then there are posts about the openly homosexual episcopal Bishop-- doesn't this belong in the religion topic? It certainly doesn't belong in the sexuality topic (being a Bishop has nothing to do with sexuality).

The idea of the tags is that intelligent discussions on interesting topics often range over a variety of areas -- it is impossible to put worthwhile intellectual discussions in tidy little boxes (or should I say 'closets').
lazymon

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 07:06 am
@ebrown p,
sigh.... I suppose. I just want to have a little home where I feel comfortable and a few friends to chat with. Now I feel cast out and exposed. Everything and anything, ever changing with no substance. No place to land and perch to find a bearing.
0 Replies

Lily

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 07:12 am
@ughaibu,
yeah, that'd be great, one of the best things about PF was that you could get to know people from around the world. And if I write something with poor English grammar people could see that "oh, well, she's from Sweden, then it's just fine".

And another thing, even though I hardly ever used it I sort of miss the "poke in the eye with a stick"-emoticon, haha. Pf had some great emoticons, and I'm one of those who feel that the right emoticon really makes communication much, much easier. Btw, Laughing <-- is this dude laughing or just showing off some upper lip skills?
I'm sure I'll get used to it...
0 Replies

Khethil

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 07:27 am
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:
The idea of the tags is that intelligent discussions on interesting topics often range over a variety of areas -- it is impossible to put worthwhile intellectual discussions in tidy little boxes (or should I say 'closets').

This is actually a very good point and speaks to the one transitional issue I can't seem to get passed; this tag-based setup.

I think its a fantastic idea for situations where you're covering a vast area of related topics - as A2K seems to want to do. The downside to this is that when you try to cover everything for all people in all places, you end up being the jack of all trades and master of none. Cross referencing is great, but at a certain point it becomes overload; great for searches, overkill for a basic layout.

You're right in that virtually no discussion can completely fit in any neat little box; nor can people. But by having various areas (not 10,000 "forums" dynamically created from what's being posted) available to users, we can navigated from the general to the specific and feel relatively confident that we know where we're at (at any point in time), so to speak. It should be self-evident that each kind of organization has its benefits and its drawbacks. In any case, I'm getting used to it slowly while looking around for other places to call home.

Personally, I've found (so far) that hanging out with the "New Posts" feature and voting down the "Oh my cat pooped again"-kind of threads is a good way of interacting thus far.

Thanks
lazymon

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 07:41 am
@Khethil,
Khethil wrote:

Personally, I've found (so far) that hanging out with the "New Posts" feature and voting down the "Oh my cat pooped again"-kind of threads is a good way of interacting thus far.

Thanks

Thanks, I will try that out

Drunk we need new emoticons, but keep that one I like.
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 07:48 am
- find it highly illogical to enter the front page in order to change account details. Seems it would be better to put it up right, where our names are.

- I sorely miss the consyness of our old forum, with pictures

- where is the blog list, I could easily enter some exciting new blogs people have made, with easy surveying.

- where is all other lists?
HexHammer

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 07:55 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer wrote:

- find it highly illogical to enter the front page in order to change account details. Seems it would be better to put it up right, where our names are.
Please disregard this suggestion.

- edit/delete button disappears when closing browser or going to other page! Sad
0 Replies

Theaetetus

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 08:00 am
I would like to see some customizable skins or features for the site. I personally like reading light colored text on a darker background or at least dark writing in front of a color other than white or a shade of off-white. Looking at the white for too long seems rather hypnotic.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 08:39 am
Hi,
Is there any chance we could employ a 'general discussion' area, like at pp? And, can we at least view who is online?
Thank you, mark...