Gay Marriage & Conflict Resolution

joefromchicago

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 11:12 pm
@jackowens,
jackowens wrote:
The main point, I think, is that, if we consider a sexual perversion as a misdirected reproductive drive, there certainly is a distinction between a) a heterosexual couple indulging in anal or oral sex as an erotic variation, where sooner or later the woman will be impregnated --multiple times-- and b) a homosexual couple where impregnation is simply impossible.

OK, so if the final destination is pregnancy, you're willing to allow a heterosexual couple a detour or two on the way. That's fine. But what about a heterosexual couple that, for one reason or another, is unable to conceive. For instance, suppose the man in a heterosexual couple has had a vasectomy. They still have sex, but there's no chance that it would produce a pregnancy. Wouldn't you have to conclude that every sex act between that man and woman is, by your definition, perverted?

jackowens wrote:
Question answered?

Yes, thanks. You get a cookie.
Thomas

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 12:56 am
@jackowens,
jackowens wrote:
The main point, I think, is that, if we consider a sexual perversion as a misdirected reproductive drive, there certainly is a distinction between a) a heterosexual couple indulging in anal or oral sex as an erotic variation, where sooner or later the woman will be impregnated --multiple times-- and b) a homosexual couple where impregnation is simply impossible.

Question answered?

Joe can speak for himself, but I can't help wondering yet again why you think elderly heterosexual couples are not engaging in sexual perversion.
  1. Sooner or later, the woman will not be impregnated, because she's too old. That means
  2. Your distinction from homosexuals fails. The capability to reproduce is exactly equal for homosexual couples and elderly heterosexual couples---zero.
And yet, a few pages earlier, you told me that elderly heterosexuals are off the hook. By what reasoning is their "reproductive drive" not misdireccted in any kind of sex? How are they not perverts?
0 Replies

jackowens

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 03:20 am
@failures art,
Dear failures art,

In reply to your post of 6/20/10:

"There are no conditions or circumstances that drive a necessity to ban homosexual marriage."

How and by whom is that determined?

Quote:
"In the case of marriage, your marriage in CA is recognized in each state because of FF&C. With the passage of the Defense of Marriage Act of 2004 (DOMA for brevity), it made it such that states could choose to not recognize same sex marriages from other states. This creates a direct contradiction in the law. DOMA violates the FF&C by picking and choosing, and the selection targets a specific group of citizens."

As an anwer to that question, I'm in favor of diversity and state's rights regarding the acceptance of homosexual marriage. In other word, if we want to discard diversity and supplant it with unity, have the matter decided by the federal Supreme Court. You may not agree with me, but that is my answer to your question. Your question is not evaded.

Does that answer #2?

Quote:
"You are using your belief as a valid premise, but you haven't supported it. Keep the horse before the cart."

The difficulty we are having with this point seems to be in regards to the difference between the words "proposition" and "premise".

I'm giving "homosexuality is a sexual perversion" as a proposition the truth or falsity of which is still up in the air. We have to decide which it is.

If we decide that it is false, we discard it. If we decide that it is true, then we can validly use it as a premise. The cart before the horse is to use the proposition as a premise before it has been determined to be true.

I am using "homosexuality is a sexual perversion" as a possibly false proposition, not a premise.

Does that clarify the confusion?

Quote:
"No. You used this fallacy in multiple ways and I described them previously."

Alright. I'm assuming that the above is one of the multiple ways that you considered that I used it. Let's start with it and my clarification

Are we in agreement that the above explanation, in this use, makes sense in absolving me of being involved in the begging the question fallacy?

Quote:
"I composed a post that numerated the false premises I observed, and supported my claim. Read back."

I did and am now on your #2

Regards,

Jack
jackowens

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 03:35 am
@joefromchicago,
Dear joefromchicago,

In reply to your post of 6/20/10:

Quote:
"They still have sex, but there's no chance that it would produce a pregnancy. Wouldn't you have to conclude that every sex act between that man and woman is, by your definition, perverted?"

No. You have to make a distinction between the physical genitalia and the drive.

In the case that you present the genitalia may be faulty but the drive is on target.

(Jack:) "Can we agree on the above? Does it need modification?"

Quote:
"Fine. I'll accept all of your conditions."

Are they now our conditions rather than my conditions?

Regards,

Jack
joefromchicago

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 08:15 am
@jackowens,
jackowens wrote:
No. You have to make a distinction between the physical genitalia and the drive.

In the case that you present the genitalia may be faulty but the drive is on target.

Let me get this straight: non-procreative sex between a man and a woman is OK because their basic sexual drive is "on target," whereas non-procreative sex between a man and a man or a woman and a woman is not OK because their drives are "perverted."

I think I understand. But aren't you just equating the definitions of "homosexual" and "perverted?" In other words, you object to homosexuals marrying because they are engaged in acts of perversion, but you define "perversion" to mean, in effect, homosexuality. So you end up objecting to homosexuals marrying because they're homosexuals. That's not begging the question. That's not even an empty tautology. It's an ipse dixit.

jackowens wrote:
Quote:
"Fine. I'll accept all of your conditions."

Are they now our conditions rather than my conditions

Nope, they'll always remain your conditions. I said I would accept them. I didn't say that I would adopt them.
Thomas

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 08:41 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
Let me get this straight: non-procreative sex between a man and a woman is OK because their basic sexual drive is "on target,"

... even when there no longer exists any target to be on ...

joefromchicago wrote:
whereas non-procreative sex between a man and a man or a woman and a woman is not OK because their drives are "perverted."

That seems to be his "distinction". Sorry, by the way, for arguing the matter with you. I'd clarify the matter with Jack himself, but I can't, see. He's giving me the silent treatment now that I've rejected his legalistic debating rules.
joefromchicago

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 08:54 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
That seems to be his "distinction".

And that's the problem with any argument that revolves around procreative sex as the only "normal" sex. Plenty of heterosexuals engage in non-procreative sex, yet they can't be lumped into the same class as homosexuals, since that would mean that no one could get married. In short, the conundrum for the Jacks of the world is that they want to condemn homosexual sex but they still would like a blow job now and then.

Thomas wrote:
Sorry, by the way, for arguing the matter with you. I'd clarify the matter with Jack himself, but I can't, see. He's giving me the silent treatment now that I've rejected his legalistic debating rules.

No tickee, no washee.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 06:56 pm
@jackowens,
jackowens wrote:

Dear parados,

In reply to your posts of 6`18/10:

(Jack:) "My vote would be to permit homosexuals to marry, which they already can and do, by means of their preferred procedure as long as others aren't obliged to approve of such marriages."

Quote:
"All I can say is that statement contradicts itself completely."

That's a start. Now please clarify by telling me what, precisely identified, I am both affirming and denying.

Quote:
"There is no such thing as a marriage without recognition and by that recognition comes tacit approval."

Do those homosexuals who marry, regardless of community recognition, deny that they're married?
Do you not think that recognition of marriage by society is approval? If you don't think that your argument is moot and there is no reason to not let them marry as heterosexuals do using the same procedure under the law. Either recognition by society is approval which gives a basis for your argument or recognition by society is not approval and your argument against homosexual marriage fails.

Quote:

Quote:
"Several questions have been asked of you but you haven't answered."

Please pick out and give me the --one-- most pertinent of the questions you believe I have failed to answer.
Others have pointed those out repeatedly.
Quote:

(Jack:) "We start with our agreement that there are such things as sexual perversions. If I'm questioned as to what I mean by a 'sexual perversion', my answer is that it is a misdirection of the reproductive drive.
Interesting.

Quote:
"So by that definition can we assume that a female orgasm is a sexual perversion?"

If achieved by lesbian interaction, yes.

The goalposts seem to move from your original statements. So it isn't anything that takes away from procreation but only certain things you decide based on your biases. It's nothing but a subjective standard there. One that changes based on what you want to argue rather than on setting out specific standards. Suddenly sexual acts by heterosexuals that clearly are not for procreation are exempted from your statement. Either you don't know what you are talking about or you aren't able to communicate it clearly.

Quote:

Quote:
"Can we also assume that you think masturbation is a sexual perversion?"

If that is the individual's exclusive preference, yes.
So a widower that resorts to masturbation because he/she doesn't want to get married or be with anyone else becomes a sexual pervert? That seems to be rather a harsh judgment, don't you think? I do.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
"Now we are getting somewhere it appears but not quite where we wanted, is it?"

Who's "we"?

Do you believe that there are such things as sexual perversions?

Regards.

Jack

Between consenting adults? No. There is only outside the norm. I would guess lot more people practice homosexuality than do bondage between a married man and woman (which certainly can lead to procreation).
jackowens

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 02:01 am
@joefromchicago,
Dear joefromchicago,

In reply to your post of 6/21/10:

Quote:
"Let me get this straight: non-procreative sex between a man and a woman is OK because their basic sexual drive is 'on target,' whereas non-procreative sex between a man and a man or a woman and a woman is not OK because their drives are 'perverted.'"

That's right.

Quote:
"I think I understand. But aren't you just equating the definitions of 'homosexual' and 'perverted?'"

Yes.

Quote:
"In other words, you object to homosexuals marrying because they are engaged in acts of perversion, but you define 'perversion' to mean, in effect, homosexuality."

Any member of the species Homo sapiens, taking into account its nature as a species, who is driven to other than a live, postpubescent member of the same species and opposite sex has a misdirected reproductive drive. The reproductive system is not fully functional. That's what I mean by the term "sexual perversion".

That would include homosexuals.

Quote:
"So you end up objecting to homosexuals marrying because they're homosexuals."

More accurately, the objection is to making such marriages part of the current cultural institution. If they want to go through a ceremony of their own devising and consider themselves married, I don't object to that.

Quote:
"That's not begging the question. That's not even an empty tautology. It's an ipse dixit."

Can you explain that? I'm assuming that you're accusing me of being involved in a fallacy or contradiction.

(Jack:) "Are they now our conditions rather than my conditions."

Quote:
"Nope, they'll always remain your conditions. I said I would accept them. I didn't say that I would adopt them."

What is needed to make them our conditions? For instance, backing up a bit, is "the controversy over homosexual marriage should be solved factually, rationally and fairly" my contention or our contention?

Regards,

Jack

jackowens

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 02:26 am
@Thomas,
Dear Thomas,

Quote:
"I'd clarify the matter with Jack himself, but I can't, see. He's giving me the silent treatment now that I've rejected his legalistic debating rules."

The silent treatment is on your part as much as mine. In other words, "So, no deal on the rulebook," closes the matter out for me. In other word, to have a purpose (conflict resolution, homosexual marriage being incidental and subsequent) with a withdrawal from deciding on how to solidly nail down its attainment is to start to dabbling in irrationality.

When you're ready to deal with methodolgy in whatever detail is needed we can continue. Until then we have no common universe of discourse.

Regards,

Jack
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 08:08 am
@jackowens,
jackowens wrote:
Quote:
"I think I understand. But aren't you just equating the definitions of 'homosexual' and 'perverted?'"

Yes.

Well then, that settles it. You object to homosexuals marrying because they're homosexuals. That's not logic, that's pure bias.

jackowens wrote:
Quote:
"That's not begging the question. That's not even an empty tautology. It's an ipse dixit."

Can you explain that? I'm assuming that you're accusing me of being involved in a fallacy or contradiction.

It's the "bare assertion fallacy." In other words, it's true because you say it's true.

jackowens wrote:
What is needed to make them our conditions? For instance, backing up a bit, is "the controversy over homosexual marriage should be solved factually, rationally and fairly" my contention or our contention?

You can make your conditions our conditions by dropping your insistence on conditions.
failures art

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 08:24 am
@jackowens,
jackowens wrote:

"There are no conditions or circumstances that drive a necessity to ban homosexual marriage."

How and by whom is that determined?

How is a matter of a real outcome. If you wish to obstruct the rights of a group, you must demonstrate why it is a necessity. You've opined about not wanting to let "perversion" be "validated." So even if you were successfully able to prove homosexuality was a perversion (you have not), you'd still not be able to explain why it is a necessity to obstruct their ability to marry.

jackowens wrote:

Quote:
"In the case of marriage, your marriage in CA is recognized in each state because of FF&C. With the passage of the Defense of Marriage Act of 2004 (DOMA for brevity), it made it such that states could choose to not recognize same sex marriages from other states. This creates a direct contradiction in the law. DOMA violates the FF&C by picking and choosing, and the selection targets a specific group of citizens."

As an anwer to that question, I'm in favor of diversity and state's rights regarding the acceptance of homosexual marriage. In other word, if we want to discard diversity and supplant it with unity, have the matter decided by the federal Supreme Court. You may not agree with me, but that is my answer to your question. Your question is not evaded.

Does that answer #2?

It does answer it. I do not agree with you, but your argument is not internally consistent, so you don't agree with you either. If the FF&C clause says that states must recognize each other's documents. It's not an optional thing.

Nowhere in your argument have you established what a state's role is in defending and protecting the rights of homosexuals are.
jackowens wrote:

Quote:
"You are using your belief as a valid premise, but you haven't supported it. Keep the horse before the cart."

The difficulty we are having with this point seems to be in regards to the difference between the words "proposition" and "premise".

I'm giving "homosexuality is a sexual perversion" as a proposition the truth or falsity of which is still up in the air. We have to decide which it is.

I know what you're doing. I'm explaining that you can't. Well, you can... but not logically.

jackowens wrote:

If we decide that it is false, we discard it. If we decide that it is true, then we can validly use it as a premise. The cart before the horse is to use the proposition as a premise before it has been determined to be true.

You're not willing to discard this. So now what? you've laid out so many many rules. You do not seem capable of following them. Nobody here is willing to accept the idea that homosexuality is sexual perversion. You've not established why this would even be relevant, either.

So either you stand is stubborn solidarity on this, or you discard it (as per your own rules). None of us are psychologists, and the psychologist of the world have decided that homosexuality is not a sexual perversion or a mental disorder.

jackowens wrote:

I am using "homosexuality is a sexual perversion" as a possibly false proposition, not a premise.

Does that clarify the confusion?

You ARE using it as a premise when you continue to use it in the argument to ban same sex marriage. It's not like you stopped and said let's discuss if homosexuality is a sexual perversion, and whether or not that would have any relevance to the topic.

jackowens wrote:

Quote:
"No. You used this fallacy in multiple ways and I described them previously."

Alright. I'm assuming that the above is one of the multiple ways that you considered that I used it. Let's start with it and my clarification

Are we in agreement that the above explanation, in this use, makes sense in absolving me of being involved in the begging the question fallacy?

It does not.

jackowens wrote:

Quote:
"I composed a post that numerated the false premises I observed, and supported my claim. Read back."

I did and am now on your #2

It would be better for you to address all of my unanswered questions in one post. This way, I can simply tell you in one post what you have not answered. Additionally, this would allow me to factor in your responses. I'm intentionally avoiding asking you more questions until you make it through my list. I have more questions, but I'm holding off until you catch up. Please answer all in full, so I may resume.

A
R
Thanks
jackowens

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 02:22 pm
@joefromchicago,
Dear joefromchicago,

In reply to your post of 6/22/10:

Quote:
"You can make your conditions our conditions by dropping your insistence on conditions."

How about the condition that the controversy over homosexual marriage should be solved factually, rationally and fairly? Are you in favor of dropping it?

That takes a "yes" or "no" answer.

Regards,

Jack
joefromchicago

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 03:28 pm
@jackowens,
Give it a rest, Jack. I have already said that I accept all of your conditions. I cannot, for the life of me, understand why you are still going on about this, unless it is to create a pretext for you to drop out of the discussion.
jackowens

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 02:45 am
@parados,
Dear parados,

(Jack:) "My vote would be to permit homosexuals to marry, which they already can and do, by means of their preferred procedure as long as others aren't obliged to approve of such marriages."

(parados:) "All I can say is that statement contradicts itself completely."

Quote:
"Do you not think that recognition of marriage by society is approval?"

Yes, I do. (affirmation)

Quote:
"If you don't think that your argument is moot and there is no reason to not let them marry as heterosexuals do using the same procedure under the law."

I find that a bit jumbled because of your grammar.

Quote:
"Either recognition by society is approval which gives a basis for your argument or recognition by society is not approval and your argument against homosexual marriage fails."

That's better gammatically, but where did I deny that recognition of marriage by society is approval?

(parados:) "Several questions have been asked of you but you haven't answered."

(Jack:) Please pick out and give me the --one-- most pertinent of the questions you believe I have failed to answer.

(parados:) "Others have pointed those out repeatedly."

No no, parados. That's starting to turn into a ploy. Point out specifically a --any one-- question of yours that you're claiming that I've avoided.

But before dealing with that and the other points in your post, and to make progress in this matter, I think that I'm going to have to bring over to our exchange the details of the method for resolving this controversy that I've suggested to others involved in this thread. As things stand now, I'm not sure what you believe errors are and, perhaps more specifically, how they can be detected.

Here they are:

1. First, we both admit that we can be mistaken; that we may be involved in an error.

2. The exchange is to be cooperative. We each have the right to pose questions to the other with the expectation that an answer will be forthcoming. And, if the question takes a "yes" or "no" answer, it will be given or an explanation of why it can't be answered with a "yes" or "no" will be given. No evasiveness. I might point out that this avoidance of giving a "yes"/"no" answer and instead getting into detailed obliquities and tangentialities is almost a standard procedure. In fact the avoidance of "yes" or "no" answers, resulting in confusion and inconclusiveness, is probably the chief obstacle to making progress in arriving at a solution to this controversy. .

3. Since there must --and I emphasize must-- be an error in contradictory propositions, we must have test-criteria for identifying it (or them). To get away from subjectivity, and in the interest of simplicity, I suggest that we limit those test-criteria to fallacies and contradictions, nothing more. In other words, neither you nor I will be accused of being involved in an error unless it be a fallacy or a contradiction. And, regarding fallacies, the word is all too frequently used loosely. Fallacies have names. If the accusation of being guilty of using a fallacy is made, a) the name of the fallacy and b) how it is being applied will be given. Otherwise the only test-criterion of error will be contradictions.

4. Errors are to be sought on both sides of the issue. Progress will consist in seeking, identifying, agreeing on and discarding them. They will not be left inconclusive to clog up the exchange

5. There will be no unilateral control of the discussion, something that, sooner or later, Gay Liberation ideologues seek. There will be no trying to dictate what points will or will not be discussed.

6. If there is a disagreement as to how the matter should be approached, we divide the discussion into two, separate approaches gone into concurrently and, using those differing approaches, try to identify errors. There will be no attempt at unilaterally controling approaches for the purpose of prohibiting the use of any approach unless that approach can be shown to involve the one using it in a fallacy or contradiction.

The reason for getting into the above in such detail is that it has been my experience that those points seem to come up inevitably after one has spent quite a bit of time going over the matter. When there is really no agreed-on method for resolving the controversy one then finds that what one is involved in, as mentioned above, is a quarrel rather than a pro/con argument in search of a resolving truth.

Can we agree on the above? Are any changes needed?

Regards,

Jack

jackowens

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 02:54 am
@joefromchicago,
Dear joefromchicago,

Quote:
"I have already said that I accept all of your conditions."

Yes, you've said that, but you've also asked me to drop all conditions. I don't find that inconsistency very reassuring.

Please read point #2 of what you say you accept and answer. To repeat:

How about the condition that the controversy over homosexual marriage should be solved factually, rationally and fairly? Are you in favor of dropping that condition?

That takes a "yes" or "no" answer.

For my part, no. I am not in favor of dropping it. No.

Just for reassurance and in token of having really accepted #2, will you join me with your "no"?

Regards,

Jack
jackowens

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 03:42 am
@failures art,
Dear failures art,

(failures art:) "There are no conditions or circumstances that drive a necessity to ban homosexual marriage."

(Jack:) How and by whom is that determined?

Quote:
"How is a matter of a real outcome."

But you're not saying how that real outcome arrived at?

Quote:
"If you wish to obstruct the rights of a group, you must demonstrate why it is a necessity."

Who is the "you" in that sentence? And to whom must it be demonstrated and who gives approval of the sufficiency of the demonstration?

Quote:
"It would be better for you to address all of my unanswered questions in one post."

I can't handle all the stuff you're bringing up in one post. It's too much. Generally, two or three points maybe. But what's your hurry?

Unanswered question #3:

3 (failures art:) "Simply put, what is more valuable: Imposing regulation on homosexual relationships or ethical application of the law?'

That's a bit confusing.

The current law in California is that homosexual marriages are not to be recognized. What is ethical and unethical application of that law? I'm not sure I understand your question.

(failures art:) "Perhaps an even simpler question is to ask if you expect the law to protect your rights?"

Yes.

(failures art:) "If so, what clause do you think will guarantee that you're protected fairly?"

If you're talking about protecting rights fairly, we have to get into what supposed rights we're talking about. We don't all have the same rights, since rights depend on conditions and circumstances as I pointed out in my post to you of 6/20/10. In addition rights are invented. For instance, according to the 5/10 issue of "Laptop" magazine, "four out of five people around the world consider Internet access to be a basic human right".

Does that answer #3?

Regards,

Jack

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 06:33 am
@jackowens,
jackowens wrote:
Yes, you've said that, but you've also asked me to drop all conditions. I don't find that inconsistency very reassuring.

I never asked you to drop your conditions. I said that your conditions could only be our conditions if you dropped the conditions. But then I have no interest in making your conditions our conditions. I have accepted all of your conditions. Why isn't that enough? Have I violated any of them?

Look, Jack, if you want to leave the discussion, then just do it. Quit trying to fabricate an excuse to leave by making a mountain out of this molehill. I have no interest in continuing this and will not reply any further to your continued quibbling over your conditions. I have accepted all of them. That's the end of it.

Now, back to your actual position: you haven't replied to my last substantive remarks, so I can only conclude that you agree that, by equating "perversion" with "homosexuality," you object to homosexuals marrying because they're homosexuals. Am I correct?
failures art

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 06:41 am
@jackowens,
jackowens wrote:

(failures art:) "There are no conditions or circumstances that drive a necessity to ban homosexual marriage."

(Jack:) How and by whom is that determined?

Quote:
"How is a matter of a real outcome."

But you're not saying how that real outcome arrived at?

It's simple: You provide the conditions or circumstances in an example, and explain what you believe to be the outcome by your logic and why then government intervention is required. I counter with real world examples that will test your logic to see if it holds. Then we discuss.

For instance, you've made an argument about gay marriage being a cultural validation, but you've made no attempt at testing your idea against other civil contracts/documents. In other words, by your logic granting homosexuals the right to vote or even drive a car could be considered promoting "sexual perversion." You've also failed to explain how if the cultural imperative is to no endorse homosexuality, why homosexuality should not be illegal.

jackowens wrote:

Quote:
"If you wish to obstruct the rights of a group, you must demonstrate why it is a necessity."

Who is the "you" in that sentence? And to whom must it be demonstrated and who gives approval of the sufficiency of the demonstration?

"You" is jackowens, the person arguing to obstruct LGBT rights.
jackowens wrote:

Quote:
"It would be better for you to address all of my unanswered questions in one post."

I can't handle all the stuff you're bringing up in one post. It's too much. Generally, two or three points maybe. But what's your hurry?

It's not that there is a rush, but as I said before, you impair my ability to factor in your responses when I have to wait.

jackowens wrote:

Unanswered question #3:

3 (failures art:) "Simply put, what is more valuable: Imposing regulation on homosexual relationships or ethical application of the law?'

That's a bit confusing.

The current law in California is that homosexual marriages are not to be recognized. What is ethical and unethical application of that law? I'm not sure I understand your question.

I'm very positive that you don't.

By California choosing to ban same sex marriage, they are instituting bias in their laws, and by not recognizing same sex married couples from other states, a state is violating the FF&C clause.

jackowens wrote:

(failures art:) "Perhaps an even simpler question is to ask if you expect the law to protect your rights?"

Yes.

(failures art:) "If so, what clause do you think will guarantee that you're protected fairly?"

If you're talking about protecting rights fairly, we have to get into what supposed rights we're talking about. We don't all have the same rights, since rights depend on conditions and circumstances as I pointed out in my post to you of 6/20/10. In addition rights are invented. For instance, according to the 5/10 issue of "Laptop" magazine, "four out of five people around the world consider Internet access to be a basic human right".

I believe you're struggling here because you don't wish to acknowledge the role the EP and FF&C clauses have in protecting your own rights. If you did, you'd not be able to speak of them with such flexible speech.

We do not need to discuss access to the internet and if it is a right. If it is or is not, the right would be uniform across all people. We are discussing how Marriage rights are not uniform.

There are no conditions and circumstances necessitate the obstruction of same sex couples to marry.
jackowens wrote:

Does that answer #3?

Yes.

A
R
T
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 07:04 am
@jackowens,
jackowens wrote:

(parados:) "All I can say is that statement contradicts itself completely."

Quote:
"Do you not think that recognition of marriage by society is approval?"

Yes, I do. (affirmation)

Quote:
"If you don't think that your argument is moot and there is no reason to not let them marry as heterosexuals do using the same procedure under the law."

I find that a bit jumbled because of your grammar.

Quote:
"Either recognition by society is approval which gives a basis for your argument or recognition by society is not approval and your argument against homosexual marriage fails."

That's better gammatically, but where did I deny that recognition of marriage by society is approval?

from wiki -
Quote:
Marriage is a social union or legal contract between individuals that creates kinship.

If society has to approve of the marriage for it to be recognized then there is no such thing as gay marriage, is there Jack? You are doing nothing but playing word games when you say you will permit them to marry - as long as no one has to recognize it as marriage. Until you can define marriage in such a way that it is not a legal or social contract you are denying gays the rights to marry while patting yourself on the back about how willing you are to let them do so.

Quote:
3. Since there must --and I emphasize must-- be an error in contradictory propositions, we must have test-criteria for identifying it (or them). To get away from subjectivity, and in the interest of simplicity, I suggest that we limit those test-criteria to fallacies and contradictions, nothing more. In other words, neither you nor I will be accused of being involved in an error unless it be a fallacy or a contradiction. And, regarding fallacies, the word is all too frequently used loosely. Fallacies have names. If the accusation of being guilty of using a fallacy is made, a) the name of the fallacy and b) how it is being applied will be given. Otherwise the only test-criterion of error will be contradictions.
Since you raise that. If I show there is a contradiction in one of your statements, the one that started this thread, how about you have to show why there is no contradiction? Or do you get to ignore #3 when your contradictions are pointed out?
0 Replies