Is there any place folks from philforum can ask questions?

GoshisDead

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 04:54 pm
I enjoyed the Chat feature of the other forum, there a plan to implement something like that as well?
salima

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 07:22 pm
@Region Philbis,
ok, i can see the email notifications and for sure the ones i put in today are not listed. my name was having phil attached, it is now removed. so does that mean i will never get any email notifications now?
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 07:43 pm
@GoshisDead,
There hadn't been, but enough people have mentioned it that it's shaping up to be a popular request and one that will likely make it into our plans.

I need time to do it well, but do you guys want a quick and dirty solution in the meantime?
GoshisDead

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 10:15 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Just whenever you get to it. I liked the chat feature. It was nice to have real time discussion with people i had come to know through there posts. I sort of like this setup, and I like a lot of the regs from this forum already. Once I get used to learning how to find the stuff I am interested in I'll be right as rain.
solipsister

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 10:18 pm
@GoshisDead,
spot on gosh

the real time chat is a bonus despite the ineluctable downside

that'd be me incidentally cya there

0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 02:59 am
thanks! Starting to get some notification emails now, I think I have that worked out.

I had quite a few posts and threads saved as Favourites, for reference. Can't seem to find any of them. Is there a Member Search somewhere? Or the equivalent of the old Advanced Search (find by contributor AND keyword)?
Butrflynet

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 03:06 am
How to Navigate the New Philosophy Forum on A2K

Here are the links to various topics in the new tutorial I just posted so that when needed, you can navigate directly to the information you seek rather than having to scan the entire thread for the info.

Index of the new A2K site tutorial:

The Registration and Login Screens

Anatomy of the homepage

How to use the Filter/Sort Topics Tabs

Anatomy of the Profile and Preferences Screens

How to initiate a new topic thread

How to send a private message to a member, Anatomy of a topic thread, Anatomy of the post composition screen

How to use the Reply and Quote Buttons in a topic thread

Anatomy of a member's profile page
jeeprs

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 05:01 am
@Butrflynet,
Thanks! I can see you have put a lot of time into getting those screens annotated. I really appreciate the effort.

One more question - is there a Search facility, other than the Google Custom Search at top right?
jeeprs

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 01:45 am
And another - can't figure out how to do in-line URL's. Like, I can copy and paste a URL into a post, and it works, but the HTML tags for inline URLs don't work, and square brackets don't seem to do it either. Any tips? Or a reference manual for your markup language? Thanks
dadpad

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 02:04 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs wrote:

One more question - is there a Search facility, other than the Google Custom Search at top right?

There is no other search facility. We all agree its not ideal especially in regard to searching posts as opposed to threads but its the best we have at present.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 02:05 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs wrote:

And another - can't figure out how to do in-line URL's.

Me either. let me know if you find something.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 08:13 am
@jeeprs,

hovering over the URL button in bbcode editor gives you the format.

here is your post http://able2know.org/topic/152710-2#post-4169063

here is your post
Code:here is [url=http://able2know.org/topic/152710-2#post-4169063]your post[/url]
jeeprs

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 08:31 pm
@Region Philbis,
Thanks! Didn't quite get the syntax before.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 08:46 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs wrote:
I had quite a few posts and threads saved as Favourites, for reference. Can't seem to find any of them. Is there a Member Search somewhere? Or the equivalent of the old Advanced Search (find by contributor AND keyword)?

Not yet, good search is a hard thing to solve (forum software largely hasn't just breaking instead at certain thresholds) so it may be a while before we do. But our plans are to implement a post-level search engine as the page-level search engine Google provides misses a lot of forum search use cases.
0 Replies

salima

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 08:34 am
there were things i had posted on the old forum in creative writing which were copy and pasted from my documents-of course i may be hallucinating, but i thought they were all mixed up when i looked at them. today i looked and only one was bizarre. is something being worked on to fix the text issue?

i would like to have a ray of hope that when the blogs show up, if that ever happens, that they will be readable. short ones might have been typed directly onto the screen, but the longer kind of entry (like all my 79 of them) were of necessity taken from saved documents, which i often deleted from my hard drive after doing the blog entry ... i know, silly me.

i used to say i was writing my own epitaph to leave hanging out in cyberspace...now if this little mini showcase of my entire sad and sorry life doesnt get reincarnated, i guess i will have to live forever-chilling thought to say the least. and i am too disillusioned to think of doing any such silly thing again any time soon...

actually there is a question way back in paragraph one of this whine...
Setanta

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 08:39 am
Is there any place folks from philforum can ask questions?

No . . . now go away and stop bothering us.
djjd62

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 08:40 am
@Setanta,
bad doggy
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 08:45 am
Arf
0 Replies

salima

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 09:10 am
hey-there really are things being fixed!
ok, going to sleep now...

by the way setanta, i like your signature/quote
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 10:35 am
@salima,
I believe that is at least part of what's last night's a2k maintenance period was about.
0 Replies