On freewill and choice.

Zetherin

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 09:25 pm
@Doubt doubt,
ughaibu wrote:
so I dont know who you mean by "we"

Well, I say "we", since fast and I have discussed free will in many other threads. So, I'm pretty sure I know what he's talking about.

Quote:
this is a legal usage with no implications of philosophical interest, as far as I know, so why are you using it?

What is the usage which philosophers should have interest in?
ughaibu

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 09:41 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;171940 wrote:
What is the usage which philosophers should have interest in?
Perhaps I misspoke, and your usage is of interest to philosophers of law, but the metaphysical thesis of free will concerns freedom, ie the availability of alternatives, and will, ie conscious volition. So, I usually express this as; an agent has free will on occasions when that agent makes and enacts a conscious choice from amongst realisable alternatives.

ETA: when quoting a poster, why do you cut out the link to that post?
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 10:12 pm
@Doubt doubt,
ughaibu wrote:
an agent has free will on occasions when that agent makes and enacts a conscious choice from amongst realisable alternatives.

Do you think this conflicts, or is that different from, the definition I provided? Well, as far as I can see, there is nothing conflicting. I think it is as you say.

Quote:
ETA: when quoting a poster, why do you cut out the link to that post?

It is because I usually respond in the "Quick Reply" section. So, I copy what I want to reply to, and then paste it in the quick reply box below.
ughaibu

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 10:15 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;171951 wrote:
Do you think this conflicts, or is that different from, the definition I provided? Well, as far as I can see, there is nothing conflicting. I think it is as you say.
Okay, then you'll appreciate that freedom isn't free will.
Zetherin;171951 wrote:
It is because I usually respond in the "Quick Reply" section. So, I copy what I want to reply to, and then paste it in the quick reply box below.
I see.
0 Replies

Doubt doubt

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 02:21 pm
@fast,
fast;171766 wrote:
Demonstrated free will? What's that about? I wasn't trying to demonstrate that I had free will when I walked past the sign. I'm saying that I had it. I could have spit on the sign of my own free will.

Yes, I could have spit on the sign of my own free will had I chosen to spit on the sign, but don't mistake that truth for my saying that choosing to spit or not spit was a necessary condition of having free will. So long as I could have done it, so long as I wasn't restrained from doing it, and so long as I wasn't constrained to do it, then I could have done it of my own free will; hence, it was possible that I could have done what I wanted in the absence of compulsion.

this is my point. thats not free will. if you wanted to spit you would have yes. but the point is that your life up till then has made you the kind of guy that doesnt spit on things, or didnt spit in that situation but it could not have happened any other way.
stevecook172001

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 05:33 pm
@Doubt doubt,
I am fairly illiterate when it comes to physics, but I feel it has relevance to this thread. So please bear with me...

There are two basic theories of existence. Classical and Quantum

Classical theory states that all physical conditions that pertain in the universe at any one time will have non-random material causes. Thus, in much the same way as I could predict when each and every domino in a domino rally will fall and in what direction, so long as I know the initial condition prior to pushing the first domino over, if one had a God's eye view at the beginning of the universe such that one knew the precise trajectory, velocity and position of each and every material entity at that point in time one could, in principle, predict the precise position, trajectory and velocity of every single entity right up to the present time. Given that the human brain is a part of the physical universe and, given that human cognition is a material function of human brains, one would be forced to conclude that there can be no such thing as free will since each and every particle of the human brain is just so much dominoes. But then, in a classical universe consisting of a non-random chain of causal events, I would say that, wouldn't I....

Quantum theory operates at the very tiny and also at the every extremes. Thus, at the beginning of the universe, it would be imposable to predict ahead (even for a God) because of the random popping in and out of existence of physical entities. So far as I understand it, this is also true right now if you go small enough. However, in terms of free will, the above is of little comfort since the predictable determinism of classical theory is merely replaced with the non-predictable determinism of quantum theory. There is still no place for free will. But then, in a quantum universe consisting of a random chain of causal events, I would say that, wouldn't I ....

Or am I missing something?
Razzleg

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 03:52 am
@stevecook172001,
stevecook172001;172275 wrote:
I am fairly illiterate when it comes to physics, but I feel it has relevance to this thread. So please bear with me...

There are two basic theories of existence. Classical and Quantum

Classical theory states that all physical conditions that pertain in the universe at any one time will have non-random material causes. Thus, in much the same way as I could predict when each and every domino in a domino rally will fall and in what direction, so long as I know the initial condition prior to pushing the first domino over, if one had a God's eye view at the beginning of the universe such that one knew the precise trajectory, velocity and position of each and every material entity at that point in time one could, in principle, predict the precise position, trajectory and velocity of every single entity right up to the present time. Given that the human brain is a part of the physical universe and, given that human cognition is a material function of human brains, one would be forced to conclude that there can be no such thing as free will since each and every particle of the human brain is just so much dominoes. But then, in a classical universe consisting of a non-random chain of causal events, I would say that, wouldn't I....

Quantum theory operates at the very tiny and also at the every extremes. Thus, at the beginning of the universe, it would be imposable to predict ahead (even for a God) because of the random popping in and out of existence of physical entities. So far as I understand it, this is also true right now if you go small enough. However, in terms of free will, the above is of little comfort since the predictable determinism of classical theory is merely replaced with the non-predictable determinism of quantum theory. There is still no place for free will. But then, in a quantum universe consisting of a random chain of causal events, I would say that, wouldn't I ....

Or am I missing something?

Haha! I happened to read this post earlier today, and not having time to respond to it at that moment, I was determined to look it back up this evening. However, when I returned to this forum I was drawn to a very similar post you made in a very similar thread, and I thought, "This seems a bit different than earlier, but it doesn't appear that the poster has edited it." I thought I was going a bit crazy until I realized what had happened. Oh, how these "free will v. determinism" threads proliferate.

I know that you are already debating these claims in another thread, but I wanted to come at this argument from an angle different than ughaibu's so I thought that I would do so in this thread. I have some reservations regarding your argument, but I do not want to give the impression that I am trying to gang up on you.

In my response, I'm going to lay aside the claims of classical physics, seeing as how they have largely been superceded by those of general relativity and quantum mechanics. I should also make it plain that I am not a physicist, nor can I lay any claim to any great understanding of the higher mathematics involved in either discipline. (Over the course of the last year, however, I have been doing an increasing amount of reading in physics, with a greater focus on relativity rather than QM. It's strange how a few small questions about fluid dynamics can snowball into a more involved course of reading. But I am afraid that because I am weak in math that I will never have more than a layman's grasp of the either physical theory. [Whew, what a long preamble the above has proven to be, given how minor and stumbling the thing is that I want to say.])

The issue I have is, in part, with your domino rally metaphor. While it is an acceptable illustration of a causal series, this model of causation is undermined by both general relativity and quantum mechanics. It seems to me that both scientific theories problematize the idea of linear time in general, but they certainly challenge the idea of casaul chains. The apparent randomness presented by QM, as well as relative motion in relativity theory, is largely presumed by scientists to represent a higher order. And in order to begin analyzing their "occurence" calculations need to be made assuming more than the three dimensions accessible by Newtonian physics. If I can say something so absurd without sounding too "science fiction"-y, in order for the problems of modern physics to be sorted out we have to figure out how bodies operate in a fourth dimension. In other words, the properties of space/time are very different than either of the classical notions of space and time.

This undermining of the linear theory of cause and effect, to me, also undermines most of the arguments that make up the classical determinist position. Of course, it also undermines the standard arguments of the free will advocate, since they also rest on a linear time model. If you want to look at my few feeble contributions to this thread, available on pgs. 4 and 5, you might see that I try to advocate for a view that contains some compromised features of the free will argument. However, I do think that the terms in which each position is presented are inadequate tools to achieve the tasks they set for themselves.

There are many problems within modern physics that have yet to be resolved (ridiculous understatement), much less how they may be reasonably applied to explain the mundane processes of everyday experience. However, as scientists continue to develop their investigation, I believe that certain features of both the free will and the determinist positions will survive, and likely be combined in a complex synthesis. Whether that belief, tenuous as it is even for me, represents a form of optimism or pessimism is difficult for me to say.

I am not even close to a point where my own thoughts have coagulated into a coherent theory, nor am I prepared to give a full presentation regarding the scientific/philosophical reading that forms the background for much of the incoherent thoughts that I do have, but my current speculative position goes something like this: If the entirety of an individual's life forms a discrete unit, the apparent temporal progression of the same describing a dynamic pattern, then one must consider the possibility that when one's being (and I assure you that the term "being" is only being adopted because I am exhausted and can't think of a better word) encounters another the results are the product of their interaction on multiple levels, not restricted to an action/reaction process.

In much simpler language (Really?! Well, it couldn't be any more complicatedly nonsensical), when one object affects another, the effect is not the product of the cause. Rather the effect is the result of the interaction of both participating bodies. In my own poor analogy, every event is less like one domino mechanically hitting another in succession, and more like the encounter between sperm and ovum. The two participants each contribute something to an entirely new event, and generate a map for a host of new possible occurrences. Or to use a less biological metaphor. An event is less like a moving cue ball hitting a stationary 8-ball, but more like two balls converging on a single point of impact. The result affects the trajectory of both balls. Extending this sort of "inanimate interaction metaphor", when one domino hits another, the stationary domino is not so much passively at rest waiting for the forward falling domino to hit it, so much as it is actively falling as well, straight down on a solid surface. The impact of the forward falling domino affects the trajectory of the stationary one, and the stationary domino's new position arrests the fall of the first.

I'm thinking now that I have wasted a lot of time, mine and yours if you've read this far, on some rather ridiculous speculations, as boring as they are specious. I'm not entirely sure whether all of this verbiage is not a fallacious bit of sophistry. I'd be interested if you have any criticism, provided such a badly put together bunch of half-notions can even be criticized, but I probably won't respond. I don't feel what I have said warrants defending. And now, I go to bed...
stevecook172001

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 04:33 am
@Razzleg,
Razzleg;172896 wrote:
Haha! I happened to read this post earlier today, and not having time to respond to it at that moment, I was determined to look it back up this evening. However, when I returned to this forum I was drawn to a very similar post you made in a very similar thread, and I thought, "This seems a bit different than earlier, but it doesn't appear that the poster has edited it." I thought I was going a bit crazy until I realized what had happened. Oh, how these "free will v. determinism" threads proliferate.

I know that you are already debating these claims in another thread, but I wanted to come at this argument from an angle different than ughaibu's so I thought that I would do so in this thread. I have some reservations regarding your argument, but I do not want to give the impression that I am trying to gang up on you.

In my response, I'm going to lay aside the claims of classical physics, seeing as how they have largely been superceded by those of general relativity and quantum mechanics. I should also make it plain that I am not a physicist, nor can I lay any claim to any great understanding of the higher mathematics involved in either discipline. (Over the course of the last year, however, I have been doing an increasing amount of reading in physics, with a greater focus on relativity rather than QM. It's strange how a few small questions about fluid dynamics can snowball into a more involved course of reading. But I am afraid that because I am weak in math that I will never have more than a layman's grasp of the either physical theory. [Whew, what a long preamble the above has proven to be, given how minor and stumbling the thing is that I want to say.])

The issue I have is, in part, with your domino rally metaphor. While it is an acceptable illustration of a causal series, this model of causation is undermined by both general relativity and quantum mechanics. It seems to me that both scientific theories problematize the idea of linear time in general, but they certainly challenge the idea of casaul chains. The apparent randomness presented by QM, as well as relative motion in relativity theory, is largely presumed by scientists to represent a higher order. And in order to begin analyzing their "occurence" calculations need to be made assuming more than the three dimensions accessible by Newtonian physics. If I can say something so absurd without sounding too "science fiction"-y, in order for the problems of modern physics to be sorted out we have to figure out how bodies operate in a fourth dimension. In other words, the properties of space/time are very different than either of the classical notions of space and time.

This undermining of the linear theory of cause and effect, to me, also undermines most of the arguments that make up the classical determinist position. Of course, it also undermines the standard arguments of the free will advocate, since they also rest on a linear time model. If you want to look at my few feeble contributions to this thread, available on pgs. 4 and 5, you might see that I try to advocate for a view that contains some compromised features of the free will argument. However, I do think that the terms in which each position is presented are inadequate tools to achieve the tasks they set for themselves.

There are many problems within modern physics that have yet to be resolved (ridiculous understatement), much less how they may be reasonably applied to explain the mundane processes of everyday experience. However, as scientists continue to develop their investigation, I believe that certain features of both the free will and the determinist positions will survive, and likely be combined in a complex synthesis. Whether that belief, tenuous as it is even for me, represents a form of optimism or pessimism is difficult for me to say.

I am not even close to a point where my own thoughts have coagulated into a coherent theory, nor am I prepared to give a full presentation regarding the scientific/philosophical reading that forms the background for much of the incoherent thoughts that I do have, but my current speculative position goes something like this: If the entirety of an individual's life forms a discrete unit, the apparent temporal progression of the same describing a dynamic pattern, then one must consider the possibility that when one's being (and I assure you that the term "being" is only being adopted because I am exhausted and can't think of a better word) encounters another the results are the product of their interaction on multiple levels, not restricted to an action/reaction process.

In much simpler language (Really?! Well, it couldn't be any more complicatedly nonsensical), when one object affects another, the effect is not the product of the cause. Rather the effect is the result of the interaction of both participating bodies. In my own poor analogy, every event is less like one domino mechanically hitting another in succession, and more like the encounter between sperm and ovum. The two participants each contribute something to an entirely new event, and generate a map for a host of new possible occurrences. Or to use a less biological metaphor. An event is less like a moving cue ball hitting a stationary 8-ball, but more like two balls converging on a single point of impact. The result affects the trajectory of both balls. Extending this sort of "inanimate interaction metaphor", when one domino hits another, the stationary domino is not so much passively at rest waiting for the forward falling domino to hit it, so much as it is actively falling as well, straight down on a solid surface. The impact of the forward falling domino affects the trajectory of the stationary one, and the stationary domino's new position arrests the fall of the first.

I'm thinking now that I have wasted a lot of time, mine and yours if you've read this far, on some rather ridiculous speculations, as boring as they are specious. I'm not entirely sure whether all of this verbiage is not a fallacious bit of sophistry. I'd be interested if you have any criticism, provided such a badly put together bunch of half-notions can even be criticized, but I probably won't respond. I don't feel what I have said warrants defending. And now, I go to bed...

Bleeding hell....!

I have read you post and am extremely grateful you have taken the time and trouble to respond so comprehensively to my initial post. Thanks.

I am going to need to re-read what you have written a number of times before I can fully respond. However, my first impression is that while you have indicated that the cause and effect relationships between matter is far more complicated than a merely time sequenced number of mechanical interactions outlined in my domino metaphor, Those relationships, no matter how complicated in reality, still exist. Even under extremes such as QT where effects can even precede causes.

What I am getting at is that whatever the interactional relationship between such material entities in the universe, those interactions lie way below human cognition and so provide the material foundation from which human cognition and other macro level phenomena eventually emerges. I don't see how the content of your post provides the opt-out from the physical constraint of the universe that, it seems to me, free will requires.

However, as I have said, I have only read your post once over and need to read it a number of times. And so I fully reserve the right to retract any/all of the above.......Laughing
Razzleg

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 08:07 pm
@stevecook172001,
stevecook172001;172902 wrote:
...However, as I have said, I have only read your post once over and need to read it a number of times. And so I fully reserve the right to retract any/all of the above.......Laughing

You know, having reviewed what I wrote last night, I wouldn't recommend it. It doesn't bear up to any degree of scrutiny. I was on quite a tear last night; not booze, merely exhaustion induced mania. Most of what I wrote relates to a lot of other thoughts I've been tossing around, and has only a tenuously tangential connection to the free will v. determinism debate. Besides, it represents such an eclectic mix of analogies and cross discipline comparisons in so stunted a form that it would probably only make sense to me, or someone who has read the exact books that I have read in the same order and developed a similar conceptual short-hand.

That being said, I would like to make some meaningful contribution here that does actually touch on the issue at hand. My objection to both the free will advocate and the determinist is this: The classical arguments of both perspectives seem to assume that an event can be divided (in some sense) into separate temporal states, connected by a transitional leap. The debate circles around the nature of this leap. "Is the agent of change free will, or is it a case of cause and effect?" My contention is that modern physics shows us that change, far from being the exception that requires explanation, is in fact the norm. What requires investigation is not the change, but instead the nature of the interaction between two disparate processes. This interaction can not be reduced to either free will nor cause and effect.

To me, the controversy surrounding free will v. determinism is not terribly unlike two interior decorators arguing about what sort of decoration to apply to an empty wall. One wants to put up a mirror, the other wants to put up a trompe 'oeil picture of a bookshelf. They disagree vehemently, but they are both in agreement that this wall "needs" something. However, their concern is primarily aesthetic, and has no bearing on the wall's integrity. Regardless of the frame applied, the wall is there to hold up the ceiling and keep out the wind.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 09:12 pm
@Razzleg,
Razzleg;173192 wrote:
You know, having reviewed what I wrote last night, I wouldn't recommend it. It doesn't bear up to any degree of scrutiny. I was on quite a tear last night; not booze, merely exhaustion induced mania. Most of what I wrote relates to a lot of other thoughts I've been tossing around, and has only a tenuously tangential connection to the free will v. determinism debate. Besides, it represents such an eclectic mix of analogies and cross discipline comparisons in so stunted a form that it would probably only make sense to me, or someone who has read the exact books that I have read in the same order and developed a similar conceptual short-hand.

That being said, I would like to make some meaningful contribution here that does actually touch on the issue at hand. My objection to both the free will advocate and the determinist is this: The classical arguments of both perspectives seem to assume that an event can be divided (in some sense) into separate temporal states, connected by a transitional leap. The debate circles around the nature of this leap. "Is the agent of change free will, or is it a case of cause and effect?" My contention is that modern physics shows us that change, far from being the exception that requires explanation, is in fact the norm. What requires investigation is not the change, but instead the nature of the interaction between two disparate processes. This interaction can not be reduced to either free will nor cause and effect.

To me, the controversy surrounding free will v. determinism is not terribly unlike two interior decorators arguing about what sort of decoration to apply to an empty wall. One wants to put up a mirror, the other wants to put up a trompe 'oeil picture of a bookshelf. They disagree vehemently, but they are both in agreement that this wall "needs" something. However, their concern is primarily aesthetic, and has no bearing on the wall's integrity. Regardless of the frame applied, the wall is there to hold up the ceiling and keep out the wind.
Razzleg

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 01:48 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;173231 wrote:

Yes, I find that seeming contradiction interesting, and I've been thinking a lot about patterns and randomness lately. Not that I have any thoughts worth sharing.

Fil. Albuquerque;173231 wrote:
My argumentation for Hard Determinism is not linear in Time, and neither in the circumscription of events...at best I may use such particulars sporadically for the convenience of making myself understood...But I strongly believe that Reality is a DEFINED a priori MONAD...all elements sequence is instantaneous and interdependent in all directions in such way that we may not even speak on elements apart from each other...Time as I conceive it is a convenient illusion !...

I see where you are coming from. I've heard/read similar perspectives expressed elsewhere, both in a strictly philosophical context and in terms of physics. And while I respect the thought that has led to that conclusion, I must also respectfully disagree. My disagreement, which may merely be the product of my own short-sightedness, primarily comes from my inability to see any resolution to Parmenide's delimma. I suppose my attempts to "resolve" it tend to look similar to the one made by Leucippus, and tend to be unacceptable to a more faithful disciple.

Two random thoughts, one is an objection to the refutation of time, and the second regards that refutation's classification. My problem lies with the assertion that time's passage is an illusion, time's unity proscribes change. How does the difference between the monad and the illusion not already represent a plurality? (I'm not really looking to start an argument here. I'm not trying to persuade or inviting persuasion, just expressing a reservation of my own.) The second thought: The, for lack of a better term, monadological theory of time does not seem to me to be a form of determinism at all. It raises the stakes so much higher, and requires an entirely different conceptual framework. By denying multiplicty, the questions of determinism are entirely avoided. This, again, is just my take on it. I understand why this monadological perspective falls on this side of the line dividing determinism from other theories, since it clearly resembles determinism more than, say, free will. But it is still so different for me, that it is like saying, "well, this horse is more like that bird than it is like that tree." The statement is certainly true, but I'm not sure why it would need to be pointed out, and I would look a little askance at someone making it.
0 Replies

Doubt doubt

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 03:32 am
@Razzleg,
Razzleg;172896 wrote:

I would suggest you look for no answers in quantum and relativity and all mathematical physics in general. If you invoke critical thinking without a conformation bias or sunk cost mathematical physics shows how nonsensical it is.

first mathematical physical is bases on the assumption that all numbers and equations that are true in the mathematics sense can relate to physical objects. but they also state that there is a limit to how small things can be. this is an undeniable contradiction of all mathematical physics. also space time is hogwash and time is in no way a 4th dimension and they just want to add more numbers to their BS. I would suggrst everyone reads at least the time portion of Kant's critique on pure reason. time is as he claims only a perception of a subject. so space without a being to perceive it is timeless and would just skip to the point when something new could perceive it. time is erosion in a sense being watched by something. rocks dont know what time it is or sense anything so in a world of nothing but rocks there is no time. just rocks eroding with nothing to perceive it or care. also mathematical physics is based on fuzzy math involving many many undefined terms used in multiple ways and all claimed to be proofs. it is nothing but a numbers game with people who claim to be an authority spouting rubbish to people that just take their word for it. do some thinking of your own and you will see. whenever they find they are wrong they change their theory. they define light in many ways to BS an explanation for different things though the definition in one could not explain the other. they talk about light but they cant explain what it is consistently(scientifically) and they avoid defining a line or a point because it would not allow them to use the multiple definitions they use now when they use whichever one fits to make the theory work.
0 Replies

Gorilla Nipples

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 12:48 am
@Razzleg,
Razzleg wrote:

stevecook172001;172902 wrote:
...However, as I have said, I have only read your post once over and need to read it a number of times. And so I fully reserve the right to retract any/all of the above.......Laughing

Sorry for bolding up the quote, but my response is to a very specific statement you've made (the one in bold):

You've objected to both "the free will advocate" and the "determinist," but stevecook172001 represents neither:

However, in terms of free will, the above is of little comfort since the predictable determinism of classical theory is merely replaced with the non-predictable determinism of quantum theory. There is still no place for free will.

As I understand it, stevecook172001 is basically saying, "random or determined, there's still no room for free will." A signinifcant aspect of free will is that it gives the agent in posession of it control, and both determinism and randomness provide zero control. Unless you can show that randomess and/or determinism are not the only possible origins for an event, you can't get past the fact that there simply is no room for free will. The question changes from "Do we have free will? to "Is free will even a coherent concept?"
Night Ripper

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 01:52 am
@Gorilla Nipples,
Gorilla Nipples wrote:
A signinifcant aspect of free will is that it gives the agent in posession of it control, and both determinism and randomness provide zero control.

Randomness can allow for free will. The problem most people have with randomness is that they think randomness is always just white noise without any possibility for patterns or structure. That's simply false though. If you flip a coin an infinite number of times, you will get every pattern possible, including an infinite string of heads, an infinite string of tales, even a string that spells out the King James Bible in ASCII, and so on. All possible patterns will be represented and therefore there is plenty of room for patterns and structure.

What does randomness imply for human choice? Well, it means that from one moment to the next, anything can happen. You could decide to shake your friend's hand but instead your arm mysteriously flies out and punches him in the face. Yet, such things don't happen. Instead, randomly but reliably, when you decide to shake hands, you shake hands.

What matters is predictability, not some mysterious notion of control. If I can predict that when I will my fist to punch someone, that it does it, then I am responsible for just such an occurrence. Of course, my fist didn't have to punch someone just because I willed it. Yet, it does anyway, I can predict it and that's all that matters for moral responsibility.
Gorilla Nipples

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 02:18 am
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:

Gorilla Nipples wrote:
A signinifcant aspect of free will is that it gives the agent in posession of it control, and both determinism and randomness provide zero control.

Randomness can allow for free will. The problem most people have with randomness is that they think randomness is always just white noise without any possibility for patterns or structure. That's simply false though. If you flip a coin an infinite number of times, you will get every pattern possible, including an infinite string of heads, an infinite string of tales, even a string that spells out the King James Bible in ASCII, and so on. All possible patterns will be represented and therefore there is plenty of room for patterns and structure.

What does randomness imply for human choice? Well, it means that from one moment to the next, anything can happen. You could decide to shake your friend's hand but instead your arm mysteriously flies out and punches him in the face. Yet, such things don't happen. Instead, randomly but reliably, when you decide to shake hands, you shake hands.

What matters is predictability, not some mysterious notion of control. If I can predict that when I will my fist to punch someone, that it does it, then I am responsible for just such an occurrence. Of course, my fist didn't have to punch someone just because I willed it. Yet, it does anyway, I can predict it and that's all that matters for moral responsibility.

If predictability is all that is required for moral responsibility, then technically robots could be held morally responsible for their actions (if they are programmed to be "aware" of themselves and of their actions). Based on sensory input and their own programing, they can predict the effects of their next action, thus becoming morally responsible for their actions.

Also, these two sentences together make it seem like moral responsibility isn't possible:

"If I can predict that when I will my fist to punch someone, that it does it, then I am responsible for just such an occurrence. Of course, my fist didn't have to punch someone just because I willed it."

If you know that your fist doesn't have to punch someone, then how can you predict that it will? It seems more like you'd be guessing that your fist will be punching someone.

I'm fading fast (getting late here), so if this response doesn't make any sense feel free to say so and I can write out a better reply at a better time for my brain.
Night Ripper

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 02:34 am
@Gorilla Nipples,
Gorilla Nipples wrote:
If predictability is all that is required for moral responsibility, then technically robots could be held morally responsible for their actions (if they are programmed to be "aware" of themselves and of their actions). Based on sensory input and their own programing, they can predict the effects of their next action, thus becoming morally responsible for their actions.

I agree. There's nothing special about our biology. It's not the meat, it's the motion. If robots move in the right ways, like we do, I see no reason why they couldn't possess the same kind of consciousness we do.

Gorilla Nipples wrote:
If you know that your fist doesn't have to punch someone, then how can you predict that it will?

Let's go back to the coin-flipping example. If we are flipping the coin an infinite number of times and we start reading the King James Bible then if we know how the rest of the Bible goes we can predict the rest of the string. Of course, we could be wrong. It could be a string that is like the King James Bible up to that point but then turns to gibberish. In that sense maybe "guessing" would be more agreeable of a term than "predicting".

I can guess what will happen if I will my arm to punch you in the face. That's why I don't do it.
0 Replies

Razzleg

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 02:59 am
@Gorilla Nipples,
Gorilla Nipples wrote:

Sorry for bolding up the quote, but my response is to a very specific statement you've made (the one in bold):

You've objected to both "the free will advocate" and the "determinist," but stevecook172001 represents neither:

However, in terms of free will, the above is of little comfort since the predictable determinism of classical theory is merely replaced with the non-predictable determinism of quantum theory. There is still no place for free will.

As I understand it, stevecook172001 is basically saying, "random or determined, there's still no room for free will." A significant aspect of free will is that it gives the agent in possession of it control, and both determinism and randomness provide zero control. Unless you can show that randomness and/or determinism are not the only possible origins for an event, you can't get past the fact that there simply is no room for free will. The question changes from "Do we have free will? to "Is free will even a coherent concept?"

Well, first, absolutely no apologies needed for putting my statements in bold. Regarding randomness, I also think that the belief that causal events are random is a form of determinism. That is, the claim that an event is random does not impact whether or not it has causative powers. And a belief in absolute randomness is indistinguishable from a belief in absolute determinism.

In terms of your reformulated question: I am assuming that you are implying this, but even if not: I agree, free will is not a coherent concept, although the arguments for it might be internally logically consistent. Nor do I believe determinism relies on a coherent concept, although the arguments might be equally consistent. To me, both are inadequate descriptions of reality. Both sides of this argument seem to me to be a single picture of the world; borrowing terms from one another, nonetheless incapable of coming to an agreement. I think that it is quite short-sighted of the proponents of both these views, to "boil" all other views down to being either one or the other.

When this argument comes up and I am in the mood to contribute, I tend to fall on the side of free will, because I believe in a form of historical agency. At the same time, I do not think that people are like water balloons lobbed at events, filled with some fluid called "free will", that explode in an event called "choice" and saturate events with their innards. Nonetheless, however much we may be born in the throes of prior events, people are also born with their own innate dynamism, in which eventually critical intelligence and pragmatic considerations take part, which constitute our own causative power.

What my rather silly arm-waving in my first post to stevecook172001 was trying to get at was this: We might not be able to control our "selves", whatever that might mean to you, but that does not make a person any less him- or her-self. If one abstracts from temporal progression, and wants to make of one's life a whole pattern, one can do so; but that in-hindsight predictability (as one may consider it) does not subtract from either the "own-ness" of the life, nor the dynamism of the person. Again, I am doing a rather poor job of describing what I mean. Unfortunately, when one is thinking about these things on one's own, the thoughts tend to be supplemented by images and imagined diagrams, examples and metaphors, a wealth of context, etc. So when I am driven to expressing the thought succinctly in words, and my own mere words at that, I have to reach a bit more. I hope that you will indulge my lack of rhetorical skill, and give me a little leeway while trying to explain what I mean by all of this.

Here is a lazy man's metaphor (myself being a very lazy man): Say you wanted to build a wall out of stones. Each stone has to be in place for the wall to stand up properly, and each stone is unique. For the wall to stand it must take into account some general considerations, the effects of gravity for example, but it also requires that the stones' own integrity remain consistent. That is, a stone couldn't suddenly become all squishy, and shift so as to release the stones piled on top of it. Now time's progression is not really anything like building a wall, but if we take this rather stupid metaphor as a model, perhaps my position might be made a little clearer. Just as a stone in the wall has certain grooves of it's own that make it capable of "fitting" against another stone, so a person's life pattern has certain aspects that make him- or her-self "fit" within time. That is, you could call this stony protuberance a choice, this dent the shape of a preference, etc. What matters is that the aspects of each stone that make it sit a certain way in the wall are coherent within that stone's form, not with their "wall-ness" Now, I'm sure after all of my ham-handed metaphorical dabbling you might say, "But weren't the rocks formed by events that preceded their being put in the wall?" Well, I'm afraid that is called "stretching the wall metaphor", and I'll be forced to pretend like I didn't notice your saying that.

I'm afraid that the above paragraph will not prove any more effective an illustration of what I am getting at than my previous babbling at stevecook172001. But if not, at least it is another method I can scratch off my list in failing to present the picture of reality I am trying to draw. I really have to stop trying explain this sort of thing this late at night.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 08:29 am
I wish someone could clearly explain to me what in the hell does random even mean...random in what sense ??? random to what reference ? all of them ? even to itself ? random to be random ?

Magic thinking out of sheer modern ignorance is simply unacceptable...oh well, but then maybe, you just randomly believe in randomness, not all is lost !
Night Ripper

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 08:49 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Random meaning contingent. What happens from one moment to the next is not determined before the event happens.

Fil Albuquerque wrote:
Magic thinking out of sheer modern ignorance is simply unacceptable...oh well, but then maybe, you just randomly believe in randomness, not all is lost !

I agree that it's unacceptable. That's why I reject the mysterious notion of a clockwork universe that has all these magical laws of nature (obviously made by a magical lawmaker) making it tick. No, the universe just is, that's the simplest explanation. It's less magical than claiming that the universe has to be that way because of magical laws of nature or that the universe is somehow already planned out in advance. If you believe in God, these beliefs probably fit for you. For a modern person that gave up myths and superstition, my view is to be preferred.

There, maybe I've heaped on the anti-magic rhetoric enough so you will see that I consider myself more empirical and rational than you.
ughaibu

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 09:01 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:
I wish someone could clearly explain to me what in the hell does random even mean...random in what sense ?
It's been explained to you. These arguments rely on two equivocations, intentional randomness or computable randomness, and determinism or cause and effect.
0 Replies