On freewill and choice.

Andrew H

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 10:11 am
@ughaibu,
Sorry, I could not understand your argument. However, I am not suggesting you are not communicating well - I probably do not know enough to make sense of your answer. My point was this: I believe that a significant fraction of well-educated people believe that when a human makes any kind of decision, the "cause" is the complex outworking of the laws of physics, as manifested in that person's brain. In short, there is no "me" making a decision - the decision is simply the outworking of the laws of physics at work in my brain.

Now I am not suggesting that the mainstream scientific establishment explicitly promotes such a view, but I suggest it is nevertheless held by many people. I, for one, do not believe it. I believe that the present models of nature we have (quantum physics, atomic theory, relativility, Newtonian mechanics, etc.) are essentially incomplete and / or have a built-in world-view bias against the possibility that there are such things as truly "free" agents at work in the universe. Of course, this is just my hunch - I do not think I can make any kind of solid argument.
ughaibu

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2013 01:11 am
@Andrew H,
Andrew H wrote:
My point was this: I believe that a significant fraction of well-educated people believe that when a human makes any kind of decision, the "cause" is the complex outworking of the laws of physics, as manifested in that person's brain. In short, there is no "me" making a decision - the decision is simply the outworking of the laws of physics at work in my brain.
I understand that. My point is that there is no reason to take their belief seriously and easily demonstrated reasons to reject it.
0 Replies

llCOGll

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2020 07:03 am
Alright man I’m about to flip a coin for fun I can call head or tails. I can choose to call heads over and over I can choose to call tails over and over I can choose to call whatever I want.
Leadfoot

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2020 09:18 am
@llCOGll,
I’m gonna say it lands on edge. Evolution happens!
0 Replies

Albuquerque

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2020 01:59 am
@llCOGll,
You didn't chose to call it rabbit!
0 Replies