On freewill and choice.

Ali phil

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 06:43 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;163833 wrote:
I never knew we had an active sense of free will. I always thought that when someone does something or his own free will that meant that he wasn't being compelled to do that thing. Or I did until you told be about active free will. Is passive free will still free will? Did I still marry Esmeralda of my own free will even if I overcame no obstacles?

It might just be that if you insist that only what you call, "active free will" is free will, that if we look for it, and we do not find it, we'll conclude that there is no free will at all. Now, wouldn't that be tragic?

---------- Post added 05-13-2010 at 08:18 AM ----------

If free will is only a delusion, then how can it be a good thing, since if it is a delusion, it does not exist, and what does not exist cannot be a good thing, for what does not exist is not a thing at all? A pink elephant cannot be a good thing, for it is a delusion, and so, it is not a thing, and if it is not a thing, how can it be a good thing? Something wrong here.

As in we make 'choices' but they are pre determaned dessisions based of of previous events and circumstances. So choice doesnt really exist but people alowed to do harmful things because its their right isnt a good thing, this is what you call choice there is no other word for it but choice even though its not, so dont try and say im being contradicting when there is no other word for it that i know.

---------- Post added 05-16-2010 at 12:47 PM ----------

hmm i could call it your pre determaned actions.
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 02:45 pm
@Doubt doubt,
Doubt doubt;161144 wrote:
I would like for anyone willing to give an example of freewill or a case were freewill is involved to do so here. i believe i can point out the lack of free will in any circumstance. can anyone say that even their own personality and thoughts has in any way displayed freewill.
Out of compulsive behaviour, killing people, stealing, streaking ..etc.
0 Replies

Doubt doubt

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 12:32 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;163648 wrote:
I have brought this up before but, at times, free will, to me, only comes into play when we consciously decide to resist the natural flow of events.

In nature, I would say, typically most things, including animals, take the path of least resistance. There are times when we as humans know what we ought to be doing(or are at least deliberating a choice between something which would be easy and something that would be more effort consuming) but doing so would require an act against the natural flow of events at the time.

For example, say someone is walking along at a somewhat brisk pace(maybe their late for something) and they accidentally drop a small piece of unimportant paper but notice themselves do so. I would say most would heavily consider continuing on. This, to me, would be going with the natural flow of events. In this situation, I think one has the opportunity to employ their free will by resisting this flow and stopping and going back to pick it up and dispose of it properly.

Now this is quite an arbitrary analogy but I think it at least exemplify what I mean when I say resist the natural flow of events.

Having said that, I will note that going with the natural flow of events is not a bad things in and of itself. But in each moment we must attempt to be conscious of both the natural flow of events and what is important to us so that we can make sure we are flowing in the direction we ought to be.

it seems to me that someone would want to stop and pic it up out of guilt. doing something because everything in your live averaged out to littering being bad is not a choice. the will is only free to spin the mind and take everything your subconscious remembers and form associations, predict the outcomes of the options and pick one. in your analogy it is even less of a choice as the environment(being late) is leaning on the will to leave the paper and hurry up. going against that would come down to how strongly all the experiences of your life make the urge to pic it up.

---------- Post added 05-27-2010 at 02:45 PM ----------

kennethamy;163655 wrote:
I have but a vague notion of what you mean by "the natural flow of events", so I can make only a very vague comment about what you have just posted. However, suppose I meet a girl, I fall in love with her, and I marry her. I would say that is an example of the natural flow of events. But, according to you, because I did not consciously resist this natural flow of events, I did not marry the girl I married of my own free will. Is that what you are arguing? If it is, I find that rather disconcerting, since you are denying I married of my own free will for precisely the reason that I, and most who speak English, would say that I did marry of my own free will! I wonder whether it was because of episodes like this that Cicero remarked that there is nothing so absurd that some philosopher has not said it.

if you married her because you loved her love was the reason you married her and free will does not apply. you could make the case that you fell in love of your own free will but we all know you can not make yourself love someone. so your environment and a chain of cause and effect lead to your marriage.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 12:47 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;164394 wrote:
Why are you telling me this?

Because you seem to be ignorant of it. Isn't that why you asked?

---------- Post added 05-27-2010 at 02:52 PM ----------

Doubt doubt;169608 wrote:

---------- Post added 05-27-2010 at 02:45 PM ----------

so your environment and a chain of cause and effect lead to your marriage.

Well of course they did. What makes you think that means I did not marry of my own free will? That is to say, what makes you think that I did not marry because I wanted to marry, and that no one compelled be to marry. What has environment and the chain of cause and effect to do with free will anyway. I wanted to marry the girl. I was not forced to marry her. Therefore, I married her of my own free will.
Doubt doubt

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 01:00 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;163684 wrote:
When I tell them that I think what they argued (or said) was absurd, I did tell them I disagreed, and also why I disagreed. I think, that is in this instance, your argument that not only when everything does smoothly, there is no free will, but that precisely because everything goes smoothly there is no free will, is simply absurd. There really is no other word for it. People do say absurd things, and they do it especially when they philosophize, as Cicero noted. But, as Cicero noted, you are not alone in spouting absurdities while philosophizing. It is a common thing. And there are good explanations for it too.

Perhaps you would like to explain why you think that just because things go smoothly, there is no free will. Can't easy decisions be made as well as difficult decisions? (It that is what lies behind your view). We have seen the position is absurd. But, as Cicero points out, that never seems to deter philosophers. And, in fact, I have always maintained that it is from the greatest philosophers that we have most to learn just because they make the greatest mistakes (some of which are absurdities) and we learn so much from pinning down the absurdity, and trying to find out why it was that such intelligent, and often talented people found themselves uttering blatant absurdities.

It was a Church father who is the most notorious and most candid case of all this:

Tertullian wrote that he not only believed in the Incarnation and understood that the doctrine of the Incarnation was absurd, but furthermore, he, Tertullian believed in the Incarnations just because it was absurd. "Credo quia absurdum est!", Tertullian wrote.

Tertullian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

i bet people said that the sun being the center of the universe was absurd. either way saying something is absurd is rhetoric. you say its absurd because you dont have something substantial to refute the idea with. clearly you just cant deal with not having free will. the natural flow he speaks of is just a less complex situation which in which the causes and effects leading to the marriage can be seen. i disagree with him and to me no mater how much you go against the flow you still make every choice for a reason.

---------- Post added 05-27-2010 at 03:12 PM ----------

kennethamy;169612 wrote:

Well of course they did. What makes you think that means I did not marry of my own free will? That is to say, what makes you think that I did not marry because I wanted to marry, and that no one compelled be to marry. What has environment and the chain of cause and effect to do with free will anyway. I wanted to marry the girl. I was not forced to marry her. Therefore, I married her of my own free will.

wanting to marry is a reaction not a choice. wanting to marry her is a reaction not a choice. being attracted to girls is a reaction. your not accounting for the whys. for free will to apply there needs to be no reason. or does free not mean free in free will? sounds like you are asking for the right to choose which you already have. just ask yourself why and if you can get off your conformation bias for a few you will see how the world works and will trace your marriage back to things you learned as a child. you got married because everything you brain knows told you thats whats to do.

---------- Post added 05-27-2010 at 03:29 PM ----------

Night Ripper;163793 wrote:
Your argument is invalid. Dogs and cats are both mammals but calling a cat "a mammal" is not the same as calling a cat "a dog".

Here's a counterexample. Newton's Laws are wrong but they are not absurd.

no your invalid lol

he THINKS hes wrong(disagrees) and absurd is wrong. kennethamy was wrong when he said that guys idea was absurd. if he said he thinks hes wrong or disagrees then it would be fine. seeing as how their is no right or wrong answer to what we are talking about, kennethamy lied. he called an unproven theory absurd aka wrong when it could be right for all anyone knows. also he has not stated any theory of his own but has trashed on other people doing some thinking. that guy has a conformation bias so far up his ass all he can do is troll and quote.

---------- Post added 05-27-2010 at 03:33 PM ----------

Night Ripper;163797 wrote:
You make it sound as if love was a sufficient condition for his marriage but love did not guarantee his marriage. He could have just kept dating her if he chose to.

well now you need to have sam define his concepts to see. he didnt want to marry her he didnt want to loose her. we will now be needing 10 pages of sams definition for 30 or so concepts to know why he married her.

---------- Post added 05-27-2010 at 03:48 PM ----------

Razzleg;163799 wrote:
I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with a lot of the above. Simply because terms are related, that does not mean that they are reducible to one another. You chose (sorry for using the term, but bear with me) to translate this phrase, "An agent has free will on occasions when they make and enact a conscious choice from amongst realisable alternatives," in this manner: " A person has free will when they use free will, because free will exists." What if I preferred to paraphrase ughaibu's phrase thusly, "An individual may exercise free choice when physical possibilities provide an opportunity." Who's version stays truer to both the form and intent of the original? I'm not at all sure how "realisable alternatives" can be reduced to an assumption of free will, it would seem rather that the former is a condition for the possibility of the latter. Also, you disregarded qualifying terms like "occasions", and their nuance, to reduce "choice" to "free will." I don't think the two are reducible. In fact, it might be possible to generate a theory of free will with minimal reference to "choice".

First off, are we assuming that free will is a faculty that we might only exercise in a rational way? What if it were otherwise? In the scenario above you say that a person, let's say me, has two alternatives: a red jelly bean and a blue one. Everything in my life has prepared me for this moment, epochs of cultural development rest their weight on my shoulders, millennia of biological evolution scream to me from out my amygdalae, i desire a red jelly bean. I use my rational mind to weigh the alternatives, the pros and cons, and consider the possible consequences. Finding the consequences relatively innocuous I fire up the old cerebellum to work out the pragmatics of reaching for the jelly bean, and accomplishing this, I finally consume and digest it. Thus fulfilling history's ultimate telos, and initiating Ragnarok.

Now at what point in all that did I react to anything outside myself, beyond the physical alternative presented to me: two jelly beans? And at what point did the "choice" take place? If the "everything in my life" (quoted from above) is put into motion in decision-making, in what way is this "everything" in fact distinct from "me"? Even if we loan this "everything" some external reality, isn't it's meaning subject to the dynamics of my brain's ability to process information? Am I not my brain, or at least, isn't my brain a part of me? If a desire is an an accurate expression of the one who desires, then in what way is it un-free?

I don't really want to reduce the question of free will to a biological or neurological process. I'm just trying to simplify for the sake of an example. My point is that so long as an individual gives some evidence of personal dynamism, a self-interfering pattern, doesn't that provide the grounds for the possiblity of free-will? If not as a rational process, per se, at least an individuating process that "rationality" helps to regulate?

:Cara_2:

because you picked what you desired making all options you did not desire not options. also you need to ask why you desire these things. are you free to desire anything or has your brain scanned everything you ever experienced, read, tasted, known and then desired. could you desire something different if every single thing was the same or do you desire what you do because of how things happened. i believe that ever desire can be traced back to something that was never a choice. it seams like free will because we can not remember everything that our subconscious takes into account when a choice is presented. that or it would be too boring if we could remember and seeing as how the mind is a creation of the body to help it thrive, boring it to death would not be beneficial.

---------- Post added 05-27-2010 at 04:07 PM ----------

kennethamy;163833 wrote:

If free will is only a delusion, then how can it be a good thing, since if it is a delusion, it does not exist, and what does not exist cannot be a good thing, for what does not exist is not a thing at all? A pink elephant cannot be a good thing, for it is a delusion, and so, it is not a thing, and if it is not a thing, how can it be a good thing? Something wrong here.

you not believing pink elephants exist does not make them not exist. i agree it is not probable but im not a god so i will not lie and say an unknown is a fact. i bet they could cross a pig and an elephant someday and have a pink elephant. also i think that one planet with life on it times infinity means there could be an infinite planets with life on them. so no i am not god and i dont know everything so i will say its a possibility. im glad i dont feel the need to know everything even when im just convincing myself my assumptions are facts like kennethamy.

---------- Post added 05-27-2010 at 04:21 PM ----------

kennethamy;163945 wrote:

Calling something someone says, "semantics" is an empty epithet. All it means is that you don't like what he said. And insisting that persons are free because they have wills is just insisting that exactly what is at issue is true. What is the good of that? That ploy is called, "begging the question".

It is a good idea to separate philosophy from theology. Then you don't confuse the two.

no i believe saying something is semantics means its semantics. i dont doubt that you say things you dont mean though or doubt that you dont understand whats going on half the time. all i see you do is quote people from books that are almost always wrong. we would not be here if they got it right 300 years ago. they had ideas and some of us contradict them while you quote them. after im done with this thread i will not even read your posts. all the other threads we talked in ended with me posting your quotes contradicting yourself which may be why you stick to quoting others. you are a classic example of conformation bias with a side of sunk cost effect.
0 Replies

Doubt doubt

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 05:00 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;169612 wrote:

are you serious lol. cant be.
Night Ripper

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 05:37 pm
@Doubt doubt,
Doubt doubt;161153 wrote:
my definition of freewill is the ability to make a choice for no reason.

Why would anyone desire that? Also, how is that compatible with moral responsibility? I think your definition of free will is a straw man so it's no wonder you've never seen an example of it.
Doubt doubt

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 10:05 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;170546 wrote:
Why would anyone desire that? Also, how is that compatible with moral responsibility? I think your definition of free will is a straw man so it's no wonder you've never seen an example of it.

well free to me means free. if their is a reason a choice was made then how can free and reason be the same. the appearance of free will is only a concept if you dont have a perfect understanding of the situation. if you did you would be able to say this is why and how that happened. the brain creates the mind so it is rooted in the objective.

all it takes is a good enough understanding of any situation to know why and how things went the way they did. this goes for choices as well. if you ask the right questions to someone willing to answer you will see that everything is a reaction to something else. there is no such thing as randomness or chaos there is only a lack of understanding the situation. free will is a concept and as with all concepts no two people have ever thought of it the same way. all concepts are Wittgenstein's beetle in a box. we describe concepts with other concepts and expect people to understand. for anything to be communicated everyone in the discussion must have the same definitions.
kennethamy

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 10:43 pm
@Doubt doubt,
Doubt doubt;170532 wrote:
are you serious lol. cant be.

Yes, quite serious, since that is what the term "free will" means as we ordinarily use it. It has nothing at all with picking something for no reason. It may mean that to you, but why would that matter? If "free will" meant "poached egg" to me, would that matter? It is up to me what a word means to me, but it is not up to me what a word means. I cannot decide what a word means. It is not my decision.
0 Replies

Seancha

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 07:36 am
@Doubt doubt,
I believe everyone has an opinion, therefore we must have free will.
0 Replies

Night Ripper

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 09:54 am
@Doubt doubt,
Doubt doubt;170665 wrote:
there is no such thing as randomness or chaos there is only a lack of understanding the situation.

I disagree. Also, your belief is not testable or supported by any evidence at all. You have no reason to claim that the universe isn't random.
Doubt doubt

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 11:21 am
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;170845 wrote:
I disagree. Also, your belief is not testable or supported by any evidence at all. You have no reason to claim that the universe isn't random.

seams to me that history is full of random things becoming understood and not being random anymore. you have no reason to claim things can be random other than it gives you a reason to give up on understanding the world. has science proved anything to be random? if so is there no chance of ever understanding what is happening thus realizing it was never random? rolling a dice is not random. the situation of the die has everything to do with how it lands. same goes for everything else called random. even thought has a reason. random and chaotic are worlds for not understood.

---------- Post added 06-01-2010 at 01:26 PM ----------

kennethamy;170679 wrote:
Yes, quite serious, since that is what the term "free will" means as we ordinarily use it. It has nothing at all with picking something for no reason. It may mean that to you, but why would that matter? If "free will" meant "poached egg" to me, would that matter? It is up to me what a word means to me, but it is not up to me what a word means. I cannot decide what a word means. It is not my decision.

Well i hate to break it to you but "freewill" is a concept and as such can only be defined by everyone differently. "freewill" can not be communicated from person to person in a clear way as to define it you must use other concepts. It is your decision but you have no freewill to help you choose. you get to take every situation you have ever been in and calculate them to give you a concept of freewill. dont worry it will be different from everyone elses concept of the same.
0 Replies

fast

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 01:05 pm
@ughaibu,
[QUOTE=ughaibu;164387]You could have demonstrated free will had you made a decision to spit or not, as you didn't, you had no free will about the matter.[/QUOTE]Demonstrated free will? What's that about? I wasn't trying to demonstrate that I had free will when I walked past the sign. I'm saying that I had it. I could have spit on the sign of my own free will.

Yes, I could have spit on the sign of my own free will had I chosen to spit on the sign, but don't mistake that truth for my saying that choosing to spit or not spit was a necessary condition of having free will. So long as I could have done it, so long as I wasn't restrained from doing it, and so long as I wasn't constrained to do it, then I could have done it of my own free will; hence, it was possible that I could have done what I wanted in the absence of compulsion.
ughaibu

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 08:41 pm
@fast,
fast;171766 wrote:
I'm saying that I had it. I could have spit on the sign of my own free will.
Affirmation of free will is a metaphysical claim concerning certain abilities, that is abilities that are actualisable. If you do not consider spitting on the sign but do in any case spit on the sign, then you will not have spat on the sign as an act of will. And as you did not consider spitting, you made no decision to spit or not, thus you had no free will relation with the possibility of spitting.
Zetherin

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 08:45 pm
@ughaibu,
ughaibu;171915 wrote:
Affirmation of free will is a metaphysical claim concerning certain abilities, that is abilities that are actualisable. If you do not consider spitting on the sign but do in any case spit on the sign, then you will not have spat on the sign as an act of will. And as you did not consider spitting, you made no decision to spit or not, thus you had no free will relation with the possibility of spitting.

But he was just saying he could have spit on the sign on his own free will. That is, he could have chosen to spit on the sign.

That said, you have a point. Not every action involves free will or compulsion. Sometimes we do things without consciously choosing.
ughaibu

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 08:55 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;171917 wrote:
But he was just saying he could have spit on the sign on his own free will. That is, he could have chosen to spit on the sign.
Sure, but that amounts to no more than that he had freedom, free will also involves will.
Zetherin

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 08:57 pm
@ughaibu,
ughaibu;171925 wrote:
Sure, but that amounts to no more than that he had freedom, free will also involves will.

Yes, well, I don't think you are using the term like he is using the term. Do you think you are?
ughaibu

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 09:03 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;171928 wrote:
Yes, well, I don't think you are using the term like he is using the term. Do you think you are?
The term "free will" includes the component "will", if he's using the term without that component, then he is misusing it.
Zetherin

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 09:05 pm
@ughaibu,
ughaibu;171931 wrote:
The term "free will" includes the component "will", if he's using the term without that component, then he is misusing it.

How we've been using it here is thus:

Free will means the ability to make choice free from compulsion.
ughaibu

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 09:22 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;171932 wrote:
How we've been using it here is thus:

Free will means the ability to make choice free from compulsion.
There's no mention of that in the opening post, so I dont know who you mean by "we", but in any case, this is a legal usage with no implications of philosophical interest, as far as I know, so why are you using it?
0 Replies