On this day.....years ago...

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 07:08 pm
well, on this day, 14 years ago, the keys were ringing across the Wenceslas Square in Prague and the Square of the Slovak National Uprising in Bratislava - the Velvet Revolution took place, ending the four decades of communism. It was a major change for most of us that had the honor to witness it and people poured across the borders to celebrate (well, and shop or at least stare into the windows of the shops in Austria and Germany). I am now in the United States - when I was growing up I never even dreamed I would ever have a chance to study at some major university abroad. Or to even go abroad. I would thus like to light a virtual candle to commemorate that breath-taking event, for many people nowadays forget how much it really meant and where would we be today without it.

This is a place to share your memories about events in the past, distant or recent - some sort of a calendarium, if you will. If a certain day rings a bell, for something important happened years ago on the same day, do tell us about it. It does not have to be exactly a groundshaking event. Anything little, yet important will please.

http://www.sme.sk/vydania/20031115/photo/5-1.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,202 • Replies: 16
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 09:23 pm
Nice idea for a thread, Dag.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 09:32 pm
Tomorrow marks the birthday of my best friend ever, Karen.

We met in the second grade. She was my roomate while I was in college, then again after college. She was there through every important part of my life.

She now lives in North Carolina and I live in Oregon. We rarely speak anymore. When we do we're only reminded of how different we've become. Sometimes its better to just remember.

But on November 18 she is always and forever foremost in my mind.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 10:56 pm
I agree, nice thread Dag. I'm glad the Velvet Revolution (what a perfect revolution name to be associated with you!) happened and you came here.
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 11:39 pm
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 05:34 am
This is the 25th anniversery of the Jonestown suicide/massacre.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 05:37 am
D's bday is just 3 days away <sniff>
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 09:12 am
Thanks, guys. Seal, I know I should know, but was the Jonestown massacre the one in Guyana (or thereabouts), of that sect? I heard something on NPR, but do not know much.
Boomerang, I have a friend like that. We were so close and now have hardly anything to talk about. But memories are nice.
G- there are so many D's out there who would love to get that kind of affection from you!!!
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 09:34 am
On this day in 1983 one of my ex wives came into my home while I was at work with her current boyfriend and two brothers...locked the sitter in the spare bedroom and took off with my infant son.....

It took a few years but I eventually got him back.....and the mom and I have forgiven one another and enjoy a healthy relationship now.....she even gets along well with squinney...
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 07:50 pm
Oof, I am sure I would rather go through another regime change, Bi-Bear. A few years, I can't even begin to imagine...
Hope your other ex-wives were better! ;-)
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 03:10 am
dagmaraka wrote:
G- there are so many D's out there who would love to get that kind of affection from you!!!

Not like him. Never.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 08:32 am
Ah, it's today, isn't it? Well, why not give him a call?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 08:45 am
On this day, November 19, 140 years ago, a tall, spare man stood under an overcast sky, and delivered a brief, few remarks, which were derided by the press as lackluster, and unworthy of the occassion. This is what he said:

Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth, upon this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation, so conceived, and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met here on a great battlefield of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of it as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But in a larger sense we can not dedicate -- we can not consecrate -- we can not hallow this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled, here, have consecrated it far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember, what we say here, but can never forget what they did here. It is for us, the living, rather to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they have, thus far, so nobly carried on. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they here gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain; that this nation shall have a new birth of freedom; and that this government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/gadd/images/abe.jpg

(This is the only known photograph of him at the dedication of the cemetary.)
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 01:50 pm
On this day, November 19, but on 1976, Mrs. Pirod died.
I hardly ever saw Mrs. Pirod; for me she was only the wife of a salesman who had worked with my father.
The importance of the date, is that the day after, November 20, my parents went to Mrs. Pirod's funeral, and I was able to make love with my girlfriend without any trouble.
Many years later, in 1991, I talked a little with Mr. Pirod at my father's mourning. I said to him: "Oh, yes, I remember your lovely wife. She died in 1976, I recall. On November, if I'm not wrong".
He was moved.
Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 01:58 pm
Lovely story, fbaezer. I am smiling. Smile
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 05:55 pm
The Gettysburg Address was recited on NPR this morning. Got me a bit teary...
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 02:31 pm
fbaezer, that is hillarious. reminds me of my boyfriend's story at the hospital. he is a surgeon, thus they get a ton of pens and stuff from drug manufacturers. they had a patient named Cipro. At the morning rounds Eric hands him a Cipro pen (Cipro is an antibiotic) and tells him he was such a good patient that they had a pen made for him. The old man was so happy, he was touched to tears. He still sends Christmas cards every year.
0 Replies