Supporters of American Democracy, defend yourselves.

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 02:22 am
@amist,
:detective:Is it not possible to organise the House of Representatives on the same basis as the juries in the courts? More a direct representation.
0 Replies

Insty

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 02:56 am
@prothero,
prothero;126972 wrote:
It is true that must of the protections in the Bill or Rights against the power of the federal government have now been extended to protection against the power of state and local governments as well. This has been a slow process (in 1833 the supreme court denied that the bill of rights protected individuals from the power of the states), the fourteenth amendment was passed after the civil war and the extension of the protections of the bill of rights has taken place slowly over the subsequent 100 yrs. Some provisions of the Bill of Rights still have not been determined to apply to states. In any event my point is that individual liberties have been slowly undermined at both the federal and the state level by ever larger, more powerful, more extensive government and this process has been aided by both "conservative and liberal" judges. The overall general trend is difficult to deny.

Off the top of my head, the only provision of the Bill of Rights that hasn't been applied to the states is the right to indictment by a grand jury. And the reason that it hasn't been applied to the states is that the states already afford as much protection in this respect as the Bill of Rights (if not more so).

The application of the Bill of Rights to the states has resulted in greater protection of individual rights, not less. The right to free speech wouldn't mean very much if it applied only to the federal government and left the states free to punish unpopular points of view.

And this is one of the respects in which American democracy works incredibly well. For example, there is more freedom of expression in the U.S. than any other nation I can think of. And there is much more freedom of expression in the U.S. today than there was at the time of the Founding Fathers. Yes, the federal government has expanded over time -- it's hard to see how it could have been otherwise -- but that hasn't automatically resulted in less freedom. And of course substantial benefit has come from the expansion of federal power. Many people who criticize the increasing size of the federal government take these benefits for granted, and I strongly suspect that if they were ever really presented with the option, they would eliminate few of the federal agencies and programs that they pretend the oppose.

prothero;126972 wrote:

Well even the current conservatives on the court are more than happy to defer to executive power in the name of national security, allow the taking of private property under eminent domain to be turned over to another private party for the public good, and most doubt that any right to privacy exists. They may be conservatives limiting government power in your view but not mine. In any event the clear course over the last 250 years has been a federal government of ever increasing size, scope and powers quite beyond the intentions of the original constitution.

I disagree. In which cases have the conservatives deferred to executive power in the name of national security? It is true that Scalia and Thomas have sided with the government in recent terrorism cases involving issues of national security. When they have done so, however, their arguments have more to do with statutory construction than deference to executive power; and to the extent that they have recognized the importance of deferring to executive power, they have relied on precedents going back to the early days of the Republic.

Again, it's obviously true that federal power has grown since the founding, but the growth isn't beyond the framers' intentions. The framers purposely left a lot of leeway in drafting the Constitution precisely because they realized that it would be necessary to adapt the Constitution to changing circumstances in the future.
0 Replies

BrightNoon

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 03:32 am
@amist,
amist;126057 wrote:
What makes every legal adult with U.S. citizenship qualified to choose the leaders of the most powerful country in the world? If they are not qualified, then why do they have a right to choose who the most powerful people in the world are?

In truth, rights do not exist, neither do morals, etc. There is only what happens and what does not happen. A political philosophy is like any other philosophy; it is ultimately based on premises which are accepted as true.

The premises for my political philosophy all revolve around the concept of individual liberty. My goal is to determine which specific social structures best realize that ideal. Democratic government - NOT democracy - is neccessary for individual liberty, though it is by no means sufficient.

Any non-democratic system prevents the individual from participating (however fractionally) in the government of the nation. Again, the advantage gained by democratic government for individualism is pretty meager if there aren't certain other realities within the society, but it is an essential advantage nonetheless. It is intended to be the great protector of those other structures that allow for individual freedom: the free market e.g. It's great flaw may be in the assumption that people want to be free, though I don't accept that - call me naive.

Assuming that the most popular theoretical alternative to democracy is some kind of benevolent and competent dictorship or oligarchy, I'll limit my response to those. In either case, the essential and insurmountable problem is that there is no possible mechanism by which to objectively determine and ensure the position of the most qualified person. In reality, sooner or later, a person who is either non-benevolent or incompetent will come to power, and the apparent advantages of the system vanish. Furthemore, once this happens on one occasion, and the myth that held together the system of succession previously is shattered, the doors open to even more competition for the supreme power among people who are not wise or kind but merely ambitious. And finally, once such an unmeritorious person comes to power, it becomes exceeding difficult - by the very nature of a non-democratic system - to remove him peacefully.

Long story short, unless your desired destination is despotism - which would be odd unless you personally intend to become the despot - the only path is democratic government, though of course that path could well lead to despotism as well. As I said, democratic government is neccessary for freedom but in no way sufficient.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 07:16 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;126901 wrote:
I'm waiting for benevolent aliens to arrive. A good dictator is better than a bad democracy. To change that song about cowboys a bit: "Where have all the good dictators gone?"

A constitution monarchy is also fine. I think the rule of law is more important than the rule of the mob, but only if I like the laws. The Bill of Rights was a swell idea, seems to me.

Flowers, not cowboys.
0 Replies

amist

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 12:18 pm
@amist,
Quote:
Democratic government - NOT democracy - is neccessary for individual liberty, though it is by no means sufficient.

The individual is always at liberty to do anything within the realms of possibility. I think technically anarchism provides for the maximum amount of liberty of the individual.

In any case with regard to the rest of your post I've already outlined a system of government that is neither despotic, nor democratic in any way. In short a largely non centralized administrative meritocracy.
0 Replies

Emil

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 01:32 pm
@Insty,
Insty;126946 wrote:
I think this discussion would be better carried on without the use of words like "stupid," and without claims that the political system of anyone's country is "retarded."

If you wish we can use other good words such as stupid, moronic, idiotic, unintelligent, ...
Reconstructo

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 02:43 pm
@Emil,
Emil;127096 wrote:
If you wish we can use other good words such as stupid, moronic, idiotic, unintelligent, ...

From Wiki, because this thread is silly. (And I'm a lazy American)

The occupation was so quickly accomplished that most Danes got out of bed without realizing that their country had already been occupied. To the rest of the world these events seemed perplexing, almost as if Denmark's Social Democratic government had sided with Germany, and indeed Denmark had a pro-Nazi government until 1943.

"Something is rotten in the state of Denmark."
amist

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 02:51 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;127115 wrote:

The occupation was so quickly accomplished that most Danes got out of bed without realizing that their country had already been occupied. To the rest of the world these events seemed perplexing, almost as if Denmark's Social Democratic government had sided with Germany, and indeed Denmark had a pro-Nazi government until 1943.

What in the hell does this have to do with anything? If there's any reason this thread is silly it's because of side tangents about 'no dood denmark iz wai bettr than us' and 'nauh amerikuh kicks azz'. Get back on topic people.
Reconstructo

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 03:25 pm
@amist,
amist;127118 wrote:
What in the hell does this have to do with anything? If there's any reason this thread is silly it's because of side tangents about 'no dood denmark iz wai bettr than us' and 'nauh amerikuh kicks azz'. Get back on topic people.

Look at your thread title, man. Also, you choose me to vent this crap on. I leave you to plot the overthrow of our obsolete open society with these enthusiastic Euros.

"Defend yourselves." To arms, men! The great questioner of Democracy rides tonight!

Sure, plenty of us Americans are ready to play dictator. Sure, we don't mind the voting rights of the "unqualified" being stripped because we are absolutely certain that no one would dream of stripping our voting rights. After all, we spend time on a philosophy forum. Everyone knows that philosophers are eminently practical and politically sophisticated. Look at Marx! What a genius! Or Berty Russell, who urged us toward World Peace on Tuesday and nuking the Soviets on Wednesday. I'm sure you'll be sought out for philosophical insight in the abstract world of politics, where theory is everything and experience nothing. (Yes, sarcasm.)

Keep your thread. I'm done with amateur politics that takes itself seriously, and defending the obvious virtues of America against the obvious criticisms. Politics is the zone of discourse where most of us are going to sound like fools. Do we study the world in its concrete details? No, we float idle questions on philosophy forums. Add ignore. I did.
kennethamy

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 04:01 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;127115 wrote:

The Nazi occupation of Denmark unfolded in a unique manner. The conditions of occupation started off very leniently (although the authorities banned Danmarks Kommunistiske Parti (the Communist party) when the Wehrmacht invaded the Soviet Union in June 1941), and Denmark retained its own government. The new coalition government tried to protect the population from Nazi rule through compromise. The Germans allowed the Folketing to remain in session, the police remained under Danish control, and the German authorities stayed one step removed from the population. However, the Nazi demands eventually became intolerable for the Danish government, so in 1943 it resigned and Germany assumed full control of Denmark. After that point, an armed resistance movement grew against the occupying forces. Toward the end of the war, Denmark grew increasingly difficult for Germany to control, but the country remained under occupation until the end of the war in May 1945.
Denmark succeeded in smuggling most of its Jewish population to Sweden in 1943 when the Nazis threatened deportation; see Rescue of the Danish Jews.

From Wikipedia.

Hmmm. Hardly fits in with your description of Denmark's relation to the Nazis. I think that King Christian wore a yellow star to symbolize his solidarity with the Jews of Denmark. And most of the Danish Jews were rescued by the Danish people. Denmark has a shining record during the Nazi occupation, so far as I can determine. It was the only country to have done so.
amist

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 04:47 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;127127 wrote:
Look at your thread title, man.

This thread is supposed to be about either explaining why the system is good, or why it is not. This is what most of the thread has been dedicated to. That certainly doesn't sound silly to me. There was a tangent about whether Denmark or America had a better system of government. This tangent largely failed to make itself relevant to the main topic and remained that, a tangent. I am simply trying to get the thread back in a linear, topical direction. Saying that Denmark got occupied by the nazi's doesn't justify your form of selecting your leaders, or if it does you have failed to point it out to me.

Quote:
Sure, plenty of us Americans are ready to play dictator. Sure, we don't mind the voting rights of the "unqualified" being stripped because we are absolutely certain that no one would dream of stripping our voting rights.

This is the last time I will address this point. You are making a false dichotomy between despotism and representative and or democratic government. I've already demonstrated that this is a false dichotomy by positing a form of government that was neither despotic, nor democratic in any way. In pragmatic terms, I would agree that a representative government would work out better than a despotic one. That's a false dichotomy though, so it remains a moot point.

Quote:
After all, we spend time on a philosophy forum. Everyone knows that philosophers are eminently practical and politically sophisticated. Look at Marx! What a genius! Or Berty Russell, who urged us toward World Peace on Tuesday and nuking the Soviets on Wednesday. I'm sure you'll be sought out for philosophical insight in the abstract world of politics, where theory is everything and experience nothing. (Yes, sarcasm.)

There are abstract, a priori concerns when it comes to politics. In fact, you cannot even explain to me what the function of your government should be at all without considering them! Not to mention what your natural rights are and so on.

Next point. I'm not going to sit here and argue to you that every philosopher ever has been right, but this has nothing to do with any of the main points of the thread.

Quote:
Keep your thread. I'm done with amateur politics that takes itself seriously, and defending the obvious virtues of America against the obvious criticisms. Politics is the zone of discourse where most of us are going to sound like fools. Do we study the world in its concrete details? No, we float idle questions on philosophy forums. Add ignore. I did.

Oh hell, you're not even going to respond to this. I'd just like to point out to you that your founding fathers (At least I hope you'd respect them as political figures? Given everything you've said thusfar) were well versed in and borrowed heavily from entirely theoretical political philosophy of the timewhen they were deciding how they should build their new government. Generally people have to think about things and form consensuses before taking action. That's what philosophy is here for, the thinking part.
0 Replies

Emil

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 04:50 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;127134 wrote:
The Nazi occupation of Denmark unfolded in a unique manner. The conditions of occupation started off very leniently (although the authorities banned Danmarks Kommunistiske Parti (the Communist party) when the Wehrmacht invaded the Soviet Union in June 1941), and Denmark retained its own government. The new coalition government tried to protect the population from Nazi rule through compromise. The Germans allowed the Folketing to remain in session, the police remained under Danish control, and the German authorities stayed one step removed from the population. However, the Nazi demands eventually became intolerable for the Danish government, so in 1943 it resigned and Germany assumed full control of Denmark. After that point, an armed resistance movement grew against the occupying forces. Toward the end of the war, Denmark grew increasingly difficult for Germany to control, but the country remained under occupation until the end of the war in May 1945.
Denmark succeeded in smuggling most of its Jewish population to Sweden in 1943 when the Nazis threatened deportation; see Rescue of the Danish Jews.

From Wikipedia.

Hmmm. Hardly fits in with your description of Denmark's relation to the Nazis. I think that King Christian wore a yellow star to symbolize his solidarity with the Jews of Denmark. And most of the Danish Jews were rescued by the Danish people. Denmark has a shining record during the Nazi occupation, so far as I can determine. It was the only country to have done so.

Yes, I suppose that Norway did something like it because Denmark and Norway are so alike. But I'm just guessing. The jews were transported to Sweden so probably some swedes are too to be thanked for saving jews from nazis.

All the above is of course irrelevant for this thread and I don't know why he brought it up. Perhaps he thinks this is a competition between nations (and I happen to live in Denmark, not that I could control which country I was born in).

---------- Post added 02-11-2010 at 11:53 PM ----------

amist;127118 wrote:

Let me just add that I did not intend to start any comparison between nations. I merely remarked upon some of the idiotic features of the american democracy (=democrazy).

If anything, I'm highly sympathetic to your meritocratic views and I describe myself as a meritocrat when asking about my political views.
0 Replies

Insty

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 05:40 pm
@amist,
It appears that the thread may have run aground. Perhaps you could put it back on track by summarizing, in light of the discussion so far, what your questions are, and why you think that meritocracy is superior to other forms of government (or at least why it's superior to democracy). With all of the back-and-forth in the posts, I've had a difficult time following precisely what your position is.

In order for your view to be plausible, it's also necessary for you to give some basis for believing that such a system might be feasible in the real world (unless, contrary to your earlier statements, you intend this to be a theoretical discussion of what an ideal state should look like). With all due respect, the brief remarks so far about civil service examinations fall woefully short. If you haven't done so already, maybe you can identify a currently existing state, or one that has existed in the past, that embodies the kind of meritocracy you're advocating. If so, it could help focus the discussion.
Emil

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 05:57 pm
@Insty,
Insty;127158 wrote:
It appears that the thread may have run aground. Perhaps you could put it back on track by summarizing, in light of the discussion so far, what your questions are, and why you think that meritocracy is superior to other forms of government (or at least why it's superior to democracy). With all of the back-and-forth in the posts, I've had a difficult time following precisely what your position is.

In order for your view to be plausible, it's also necessary for you to give some basis for believing that such a system might be feasible in the real world (unless, contrary to your earlier statements, you intend this to be a theoretical discussion of what an ideal state should look like). With all due respect, the brief remarks so far about civil service examinations fall woefully short. If you haven't done so already, maybe you can identify a currently existing state, or one that has existed in the past, that embodies the kind of meritocracy you're advocating. If so, it could help focus the discussion.

I don't know if this is the sort of system he advocates but it is a meritocratic system.

Meritocracy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Besides, meritocracy is not entirely relevant to asking people to defend the proposition that democracy is a good government form unless one takes that to be some shorthand for democracy is better than all other government forms.
0 Replies

amist

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 05:58 pm
@Insty,
Insty;127158 wrote:
If you haven't done so already, maybe you can identify a currently existing state, or one that has existed in the past, that embodies the kind of meritocracy you're advocating. If so, it could help focus the discussion.

No new forms of government would ever have gotten established if people always required instances where such a type of government had existed successfully in the past. I only have brought up what an ideal, non democratic, non despotic government would be like to appease claims for a better alternative to the representative democratic government of the United States. Certainly such a government as I have described in no great detail ought to be implemented in my opinion.

Anyways, here is the problem with representative democracy, as laid out by myself.

If those who choose the leaders are not themselves qualified to choose the leaders, then unqualified people will make ill informed and potentially(nearly certainly) wrong decisions about who the leaders ought to be and any choosing of the actual leader, since it he/she is not being judged on the correct criterion, would be entirely accidental. It is clearly the case that a government ought to have governors who are qualified to govern, so why leave it to the hands of those unqualified to judge a good governor? I have asked for a justification or sufficient explanation of representative democracies in particular the one of the United States, since it gives the 'right to vote' to all of its citizens over 18 who haven't gravely offended society in some way or another. The aim of this thread is either to find a valid justification or to likewise thoroughly debunk all possible justifications and leave the farce of U.S. style representative democracy bare.
Emil

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 06:03 pm
@amist,
As an example of the stupidity of direct democracy see the recent event in Switzerland.

Swiss referendum, November 2009 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
0 Replies

Insty

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 06:20 pm
@amist,
amist;127163 wrote:
No new forms of government would ever have gotten established if people always required instances where such a type of government had existed successfully in the past. I only have brought up what an ideal, non democratic, non despotic government would be like to appease claims for a better alternative to the representative democratic government of the United States. Certainly such a government as I have described in no great detail ought to be implemented in my opinion.

I take this as a concession that a meritocratic state (as you understand "meritocracy") has never existed in any significant degree. A clear yes or no on this point would be helpful. Such a concession isn't fatal to your view, but it's a big problem, and I think it's important to acknowledge it squarely.

amist;127163 wrote:

Anyways, here is the problem with representative democracy, as laid out by myself.

If those who choose the leaders are not themselves qualified to choose the leaders, then unqualified people will make ill informed and potentially(nearly certainly) wrong decisions about who the leaders ought to be and any choosing of the actual leader, since it he/she is not being judged on the correct criterion, would be entirely accidental. It is clearly the case that a government ought to have governors who are qualified to govern, so why leave it to the hands of those unqualified to judge a good governor? I have asked for a justification or sufficient explanation of representative democracies in particular the one of the United States, since it gives the 'right to vote' to all of its citizens over 18 who haven't gravely offended society in some way or another. The aim of this thread is either to find a valid justification or to likewise thoroughly debunk all possible justifications and leave the farce of U.S. style representative democracy bare.

I realize that you have already been asked earlier in this thread how you would determine who is and isn't qualified to choose political leaders. But so far, I think the answers have been very vague. In any case, humor me and explain again in non-question-begging terms: what is the criterion (or what are the criteria) that must be met in order to be deemed qualified to pick leaders?
0 Replies

Jebediah

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 06:27 pm
@amist,
You're assuming that:

a) There are people that are qualified to govern
b) There are identifiable people that are qualified to identify the people who are qualified to govern
c) There are identifiable people that are qualified to identify the people that are qualified to identify who is qualified to govern

etc...and add to that:

c) That our current system is terrible, a farce, and not meritocratic enough
d) That disenfranchising a majority of the population would not have hugely negative effects.
e) A vague kind of meritocracy would work great, it's easy to pick out who the experts are and any difficult people could be weeded out no problem

Where do expect the thread to go?

Ugh, "what system of government is best" is such a terribly complex question that I can't get up the energy to debate it with someone who considers the answer obvious.
0 Replies

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 10:31 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;127134 wrote:

What about Belgium, former Yugoslavia, Greece, Canada to name a few?
What about the resistance in other European countries? Germany?:detective:

---------- Post added 02-12-2010 at 05:53 AM ----------

Jebediah;127172 wrote:

c) That our current system is terrible, a farce, and not meritocratic enough
d) That disenfranchising a majority of the population would not have hugely negative effects.
e) A vague kind of meritocracy would work great, it's easy to pick out who the experts are and any difficult people could be weeded out

Ugh, "what system of government is best" is such a terribly complex question that I can't get up the energy to debate it with someone who considers the answer obvious.

What merits would you think important? Scholing, University, nett=tax-payer, old money, new money, Olypic medals, people's knowledge, empathy, christianity, race, gender, old age, landownership, nationality, etc..

Does the vice-president has to be born in USA?:detective:
amist

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 11:30 pm
@amist,
Insty;127170 wrote:
I take this as a concession that a meritocratic state (as you understand "meritocracy") has never existed in any significant degree. A clear yes or no on this point would be helpful. Such a concession isn't fatal to your view, but it's a big problem, and I think it's important to acknowledge it squarely.

It's not a big problem. Explain to me how, if it is. The only evidence that could possibly be detrimental to my view is if there were many cases of meritocracies essentially of the type I have proposed had been implemented, and collapsed due to some fundamental flaw that was inherent in the system.

Insty;127170 wrote:
I realize that you have already been asked earlier in this thread how you would determine who is and isn't qualified to choose political leaders. But so far, I think the answers have been very vague. In any case, humor me and explain again in non-question-begging terms: what is the criterion (or what are the criteria) that must be met in order to be deemed qualified to pick leaders?

The administrators of the meritocracy must have a clear and profound understanding of what the natural and inherent rights of the human individual are, and why they ought not be infringed upon. The administrators of the meritocracy must also understand what the role of a 'government' is in managing human affairs and interaction between people and peoples is. Once they understand these things, they will be able to administrate human affairs rightly and correctly.

@ Jebediah

For the last time. I am NOT trying to construct an argument for what a meritocracy is. This is why I have given as general an account of what I think a good alternative state would look like, not because I do not have a clear conception of it, but because this is not what I wish the focus of the thread to be. If you would like, I could make a blog post or separate thread about how I define the ideal state. The main focus of this thread is to either point out the FATAL FLAWS in a particular type of government. Or show how these flaws are either at least not as fatal as I claim they are, or better.

Quote:
"what system of government is best" is such a terribly complex question that I can't get up the energy to debate it with someone who considers the answer obvious.

Then don't! Debate what I am trying to start a debate about!