Supporters of American Democracy, defend yourselves.

prothero

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 01:21 am
@amist,
"The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter."
"It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried." Winston Churchill quotes.

American is not a democracy; it is a republic, an elected representative form of government. Heaven knows republics and democracies have their problems, mostly achieving sufficient political consensus and political will for action; the tendency to focus on short term goals and gains sometimes at the expense of long term planning, etc. I can not think of another form of government (other than some form of representative government) that is superior in the long run. What is it you are proposing to replace representative forms of government?

It really is a comparison to other forms, is it not? A historical comparison to the performance and history of other forms of government? Yes, there are ideal or utopian notions of government like Plato's republic but there is no history of such governments ever actually existing or functioning. There have been good monarchs even good dictators but over the long term power corrupts and incompetents come to rule at least representative governments can rid themselves of the most incompetent of rulers.
0 Replies

amist

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 01:23 am
@amist,
Quote:
What are the best answers to these questions?
Over the past few thousand years many philosophers have written on the subject and there is much overlap between most of them, and those which are irrational ought to be readily apparent to any rational person. I really don't feel like writing a whole dissertation just to answer that question. Though it is possible to. In short the function of the state is to organize human society and interaction in a manner in line with morality and respecting the autonomy of the rational individual. The statesman is simply the person who helps to run the state towards these ends.

Quote:
Should we take a vote? Or should we wait to see who can get a brutal gang together first?
I can't produce an answer to this question, so there must not be one. Infallible reasoning.

Quote:
There is a difference and it needs to be noted, because if you want to talk about democracy then you can't use the US as your example.
The specific area of the government I am critiquing is a wholly democratic element, but yes the US is more like a republic.
0 Replies

Insty

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 01:32 am
@amist,
amist;126651 wrote:
There's a clear sense in which if the American form of goverment ever produces any competent, wise leaders, it is purely accidental. And I'm not entirely convinced that American democracy runs well (Iran Contra, Vietnam, Iraq, Spanish American war, Nuking people, Overthrowing the Chilean government, to name a few major missteps)

You may not be convinced that American democracy runs well. If you want to take a pessimistic view of it, that's your prerogative. My point was only that I'm not pessimistic about it. On the contrary. (And it would take a great deal more than the list of "missteps" you've mentioned to even begin to show that American democracy doesn't work well).

amist;126651 wrote:

I'm fairly certain that it is entirely clear. What Plato were you reading?

The Republic. I recommend taking a look at Alan Bloom's interpretation. Plato's actual views regarding democracy are very far from clear.
amist

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 01:33 am
@amist,
Prothero, please explain to me how, in any way, the American form of government comes to weed out incompetents. Especially given...say...every president who has been out of office long enough to be placed in some kind of historical context since say, the 50's?

---------- Post added 02-10-2010 at 03:39 AM ----------

Prothero, please explain to me how, in any way, the American form of government comes to weed out incompetents. Especially given...say...every president who has been out of office long enough to be placed in some kind of historical context since say, the 50's?

Quote:
You may not be convinced that American democracy runs well. If you want to take a pessimistic view of it, that's your prerogative.

I'm not taking a pessimistic view of it, my view is simply grounded in history and philosophy. The historical component simply backing up the philosophical one with examples of how badly the government fails at it's role.

Quote:
My point was only that I'm not pessimistic about it. On the contrary. (And it would take a great deal more than the list of "missteps" you've mentioned to even begin to show that American democracy doesn't work well).

Leaders in any country where you have a democratic election aren't chosen for their ability or competency, it's simply a popularity context.That is why it cannot work well except as an accident of competent people being more popular than others. Do you really want to call a government that works well only accidentally good?

Quote:
The Republic. I recommend taking a look at Alan Bloom's interpretation

I am almost 100% certain that Plato is on record innumerable times as being anti-democratic. I'll look into this Alan Bloom's interpretation though.
Insty

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 02:14 am
@amist,
amist;126657 wrote:

I'm not taking a pessimistic view of it, my view is simply grounded in history and philosophy. The historical component simply backing up the philosophical one with examples of how badly the government fails at it's role.

If you think that American democracy is generally a failure, your view of American democracy is pessimistic.

Nevertheless, the issue is tangential. You suggested that my view was grounded in "pessimistic pragmatism." I explained that it wasn't. The issue insofar as "pessimism" was concerned was whether your characterization of my view was correct, not whether my view itself was correct.

amist;126657 wrote:

Leaders in any country where you have a democratic election aren't chosen for their ability or competency, it's simply a popularity context.That is why it cannot work well except as an accident of competent people being more popular than others. Do you really want to call a government that works well only accidentally good?

With all due respect, this description of American democracy is much too superficial. Even taking into account the well-known figures regarding campaign spending, media monopolization, etc., elections in the U.S. can hardly be reduced to a popularity contest.

amist;126657 wrote:

I am almost 100% certain that Plato is on record innumerable times as being anti-democratic. I'll look into this Alan Bloom's interpretation though.

Yes, Plato has traditionally been regarded as an opponent of democracy. Bloom offers a Straussian way of interpreting the Republic as a covert argument in favor of democracy. His view can be found in his translation of the Republic.
Jonblaze

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 02:23 am
@Insty,
Insty;126638 wrote:
There's nothing pessimistic about it. I think American democracy runs quite well.

Our "well-run" system is one where uninformed people vote between two different party factions of the same basic ideological genre based primarily on personal preference.

The best argument against American democracy is that it is not a democracy in any real sense of the word.

An interesting link...

Investment theory of party competition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and the documentary

Golden Rule: The Investment Theory of Politics
0 Replies

Deckard

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 02:42 am
@Insty,
There's a difference between democracy and representative democracy. Maybe we should be moving more towards the former rather than abandoning democracy altogether.

Under-regulated capitalism effs it all up. That much is clear. Money is power and power is political influence. Meritocracy might work if it wasn't measured by annual income and how else could it be measured? There must be some other way to measure it. Some sort of standardized test? But such a test would have to measure other things besides mere intelligence.

Most media doesn't help either since it is owned. However, I think there is hope in the internet.
0 Replies

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 02:47 am
@Insty,
Insty;126656 wrote:

The Republic. I recommend taking a look at Alan Bloom's interpretation. Plato's actual views regarding democracy are very far from clear.

The Dutch Republiek der Verenigde Nederlanden also functioned well for two centeruries more or less. The last century was one of pollitcal corruption and a slow econmic decline, mainly noticed by citizens, not the elite. Investments in the Americas proved more provitable then investing in the homeland.

You might want to read Il Principe by Machiavelli, he analyzes the same matter as Plato did.:whoa-dude:
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 02:48 am
@Insty,
Insty;126645 wrote:
It's not entirely clear that Plato really thought democracy was a bad idea.

Just sayin'.

Quote:
Democratic self-government does not work, according to Plato, because ordinary people have not learned how to run the ship of state. They are not familiar enough with such things as economics, military strategy, conditions in other countries, or the confusing intricacies of law and ethics. They are also not inclined to acquire such knowledge. The effort and self-discipline required for serious study is not something most people enjoy. In their ignorance they tend to vote for politicians who beguile them with appearances and nebulous talk, and they inevitably find themselves at the mercy of administrations and conditions over which they have no control because they do not understand what is happening around them. They are guided by unreliable emotions more than by careful analysis, and they are lured into adventurous wars and victimized by costly defeats that could have been entirely avoided.

Source.

Pretty well mirrors exactly the OP, don't it?
0 Replies

amist

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 03:44 am
@amist,
Deckard has a good point, we are actually talking about representative democracy technically. The critique can be applied to any democracy I feel but this is besides the point and I concede, we're talking about representative democracy and from here on out I'll call a spade a spade.

I want to address a post a few posts back if you all don't mind. The reason I call Insty a pessimist is because his grounds for rejecting an ideal state are that it could not possibly be practically applied(and that's why I called him a pragmatist.). You were nay saying about something and seem unwilling to even give it a shot. Why? Probably for the same reasons I'm pointing out that the current system fails. I on the other hand, am not simply being pessimistic when I say the American system of government fails and has failed, I am simply stating facts. It has a well enough established track record of failing that to predict future failures is simply empiricial observation and not pessimism.
kennethamy

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 08:01 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;126653 wrote:
Well first of all, the US is NOT a democracy, it is a republic. There is a difference and it needs to be noted, because if you want to talk about democracy then you can't use the US as your example.

This country is a democratic republic, as contrasted with (say) the United Kingdom or Sweden which are democratic monarchies. The United States is a republic, and also, a representative democracy, as contrasted with a direct democracy. I think it is a direct democracy that Madison meant when he said that the United States is not a democracy, but a republic. He did not mean it was not a representative democracy, which is clearly is. Terms change their meaning during a span of 200 years. So, of course, the United States is not an example of a direct democracy (no country is (nowadays) buit it is, of course, a representative democracy, and also, a republic (as contrasted with a monarchy).
0 Replies

Jebediah

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 10:12 am
@amist,
We already have a meritocracy, except when we do referendums (and those are part of the checks and balances). To be senator or president you have to have years of experience in politics. Our politicians are tested on the pass/fail system.

Why should everyone be allowed to vote for their representative, not just those who pass a civil service exam? Because he is supposed to be a representative.
amist

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 10:14 am
@amist,
Moot point.
I'm arguing against the concept of having representatives as leaders because those 'representatives' have to actually lead a country. And the masses who choose their representatives don't generally select for those qualities which are best in a statesmen.
Jebediah

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 10:39 am
@amist,
amist;126748 wrote:
Moot point.
I'm arguing against the concept of having representatives as leaders because those 'representatives' have to actually lead a country. And the masses who choose their representatives don't generally select for those qualities which are best in a statesmen.

They do if the quality that's best in a kind of statesman is "represents his electors" not "has read plato".

I think you are better off arguing for repealing the amendment that made senator's directly elected.

By the way, in theory the "unqualified" voters split down the middle and the "qualified" voters end up deciding in favor of one candidate. That's just theoretical, but so is the claim that a civil service exam would work.
0 Replies

amist

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 11:19 am
@amist,
Quote:
By the way, in theory the "unqualified" voters split down the middle and the "qualified" voters end up deciding in favor of one candidate.

I could see where this may be a statistical fact, but what is the theory behind it?

For the sake of argument, let's assume this is correct and the unqualified(no quotation marks) voters are split 50/50 down the middle, is it this way necessarily? No matter what? Or is it because the candidates are generally selected so that they will get the most unqualified voters as possible, and it just winds up being the case that it is split 50/50. If this is the case, then is it not likely then, that the qualified voters are simply deciding the vast majority of the time between a lesser of two evils? And if this is not the case, and they are necessarily split 50/50 every time for some reason, why even have them vote at all, since we know their votes will be inconsequential and they are unqualified to decide?
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 11:27 am
@amist,
Why don't you try a One man One vote for choosing your President by populair vote. Checks & Balances are important so you also would have to strengthen the position of the Senate by electing it's Chairman by senators.

Also I think for now it would be a wise test to see who is making money during a crises as now is occuring. Should they fail & loose voting-right
0 Replies

Jebediah

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 11:28 am
@amist,
amist;126760 wrote:
I could see where this may be a statistical fact, but what is the theory behind it?

For the sake of argument, let's assume this is correct and the unqualified(no quotation marks) voters are split 50/50 down the middle, is it this way necessarily? No matter what? Or is it because the candidates are generally selected so that they will get the most unqualified voters as possible, and it just winds up being the case that it is split 50/50. If this is the case, then is it not likely then, that the qualified voters are simply deciding the vast majority of the time between a lesser of two evils? And if this is not the case, and they are necessarily split 50/50 every time for some reason, why even have them vote at all, since we know their votes will be inconsequential and they are unqualified to decide?

It is problematical, but we can argue about the problems with it instead of the problems with a civil service exam. I'm not really interested in that anyway.

Let's start with the theoretical "always 50/50". If that's the case, then the qualified voters always decide things. The benefit would be that we don't have to spend time and money developing a civil service exam, and everyone is happier, there is less class resentment, etc. The only downside compared to the cse is the extra cost of tallying more votes.
0 Replies

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 11:33 am
@Jebediah,
Jebediah;126745 wrote:
We already have a meritocracy, except when we do referendums (and those are part of the checks and balances). To be senator or president you have to have years of experience in politics. Our politicians are tested on the pass/fail system.

Why should everyone be allowed to vote for their representative, not just those who pass a civil service exam? Because he is supposed to be a representative.

Maybe test the Representative better on knowledge, arts & economy, what is freedom? Let them write a epic about American Historie:lol:
Jebediah

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 11:39 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep;126766 wrote:
Maybe test the Representative better on knowledge, arts & economy, what is freedom? Let them write a epic about American Historie:lol:

They are tested. They vote on a law, the law and vote are available for public reading. People can read both and and judge the man, and the talk about it publicly, spread the word if he did a bad job, and then vote for the other guy next time.

Of course, people don't really do that, including phd's and philosophers. So how would a meritocracy work any better? Since we do have a testing, meritocratic system, you have to look at why it doesn't work before proposing a different meritocratic system.
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 12:07 pm
@amist,
No, the MeritoCats are all the same. USA, EU< China and former Sovjets

Clintons are doing well, finally Health Insurance for 70% of the people