Supporters of American Democracy, defend yourselves.

amist

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 05:13 am
What makes every legal adult with U.S. citizenship qualified to choose the leaders of the most powerful country in the world? If they are not qualified, then why do they have a right to choose who the most powerful people in the world are?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,604 • Replies: 125
No top replies

GoshisDead

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 01:29 pm
@amist,
Circumstance and Arbitraryness
0 Replies

Jebediah

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 01:46 pm
@amist,
Why American democracy in particular?
amist

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 02:47 pm
@amist,
I wanted to focus on one system in particular but it outlines a problem with democracy in general.
0 Replies

Insty

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 11:55 pm
@amist,
amist;126057 wrote:
What makes every legal adult with U.S. citizenship qualified to choose the leaders of the most powerful country in the world? If they are not qualified, then why do they have a right to choose who the most powerful people in the world are?

It's not a matter of qualifications or rights. There's no better alternative.

P.S. For the record, not every legal adult with U.S. citizenship is allowed to vote in the U.S.
amist

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 11:57 pm
@amist,
Quote:
There's no better alternative.

Meritocracy

Quote:
For the record, not every legal adult with U.S. citizenship is allowed to vote in the U.S.

Let me rephrase, barring you commit a felony, you're given the vote no matter what. Why such low standards?
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 12:03 am
@Insty,
Insty;126622 wrote:
It's not a matter of qualifications or rights. There's no better alternative.

P.S. For the record, not every legal adult with U.S. citizenship is allowed to vote in the U.S.

In Holland we make a difference between active (voting) en passive (be voted for). Severe criminals lose their right to vote, you can't vote the royal for a public function and even disturbed people have a legal right to vote.:Glasses:
0 Replies

Reconstructo

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 12:12 am
@amist,
amist;126623 wrote:
Meritocracy

Let me rephrase, barring you commit a felony, you're given the vote no matter what. Why such low standards?

If not everyone, you would then need a smaller group to issue voting licenses. Who gets that job? The rich, the kind, the intelligent? Even wealth cannot be easily quantified (for not all wealth is cash). Kindness and intelligence would be probably more difficult to measure/establish. And who establishes the tests/standards? And how do we decide who creates these standards by which we determine who is worthy to vote? And so on and so on.
0 Replies

Insty

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 12:19 am
@amist,
amist;126623 wrote:
Meritocracy

What standards would you impose?

Also, it's not entirely clear whether by "meritocracy" you mean that only those with merit should be allowed to vote, or that only those with merit should be allowed to rule. It can mean both, and they are very different propositions.
0 Replies

amist

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 12:27 am
@amist,
Quote:
If not everyone, you would then need a smaller group to issue voting licenses. Who gets that job? The rich, the kind, the intelligent? Even wealth cannot be easily quantified (for not all wealth is cash). Kindness and intelligence would be probably more difficult to measure/establish. And who establishes the tests/standards? And how do we decide who creates these standards by which we determine who is worthy to vote? And so on and so on.

Does this mean you concede that my criticism is a valid one? I created this thread because I really wanted to hear a good solid defense of the system. But to answer your question the government should simply be an administrative structure with a rigid civil service examination system. Administrators should have a broad and profound understanding of political and ethical philosophy.

Quote:
Also, it's not entirely clear whether by "meritocracy" you mean that only those with merit should be allowed to vote, or that only those with merit should be allowed to rule. It can mean both, and they are very different propositions.

I mean both. You would go through a civil service examination system to get in and then there would be a department or committee to look into the appointment of anyone to any higher position.

Once again though, this is not supposed to be a discussion of the ideal state. If you have arguments for it other than 'what else are we supposed to do?' and pessimistic pragmatism, I'd like to hear them before we go headlong into a discussion of the ideal state.
kennethamy

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 12:36 am
@amist,
amist;126057 wrote:

The only legal requirement for being able to vote in the Constitution (including its amendments) is that a person be a citizen of the United States. Thus. every citizen has a right to vote. Whether it is right for every citizen to be able to vote is, of course, a different question.
0 Replies

Insty

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 12:41 am
@amist,
amist;126633 wrote:
Does this mean you concede that my criticism is a valid one? I created this thread because I really wanted to hear a good solid defense of the system. But to answer your question the government should simply be an administrative structure with a rigid civil service examination system. Administrators should have a broad and profound understanding of political and ethical philosophy.

I mean both. You would go through a civil service examination system to get in and then there would be a department or committee to look into the appointment of anyone to any higher position.

Once again though, this is not supposed to be a discussion of the ideal state. If you have arguments for it other than 'what else are we supposed to do?' and pessimistic pragmatism, I'd like to hear them before we go headlong into a discussion of the ideal state.

There's nothing pessimistic about it. I think American democracy runs quite well. The fact that it works so well is a powerful argument in its favor. I'm not sure what other kinds of arguments you're looking for, but they sound highly theoretical and more likely to lead to a discussion about an ideal state.
Reconstructo

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 12:47 am
@amist,
amist;126633 wrote:
Administrators should have a broad and profound understanding of political and ethical philosophy.

According to who? What if broad and profound don't mix? Isn't philosophy largely a clash of opposing viewpoints?

Who classifies which philosophers are required reading? Who tests for "profound" understanding? Who says philosophers are wise on the subject of politics in the first place?
jeeprs

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 12:51 am
@amist,
Read up on why Plato thought democracy was a bad idea. And in fact many people realize that democracy is dreadful. But what is the alternative? No matter what you come up with I think there are too many pressing problems to deal with to even consider reforming democracy in practical terms. The US is drowning in debt and approaching political paralysis in my view.

(And actually the merit system you suggest based on exams and attainment is very close to the Mandarin bureaucracy, although China has never been, and may never be, a democracy.)
kennethamy

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 12:53 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;126641 wrote:
According to who? What if broad and profound don't mix? Isn't philosophy largely a clash of opposing viewpoints?

Who classifies which philosophers are required reading? Who tests for "profound" understanding? Who says philosophers are wise on the subject of politics in the first place?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (Who watches the watchers)?
0 Replies

Insty

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 12:55 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;126643 wrote:
Read up on why Plato thought democracy was a bad idea. And in fact many people realize that democracy is dreadful. But what is the alternative? No matter what you come up with I think there are too many pressing problems to deal with to even consider reforming democracy in practical terms. The US is drowning in debt and approaching political paralysis in my view.

(And actually the merit system you suggest based on exams and attainment is very close to the Mandarin bureaucracy, although China has never been, and may never be, a democracy.)

It's not entirely clear that Plato really thought democracy was a bad idea.

Just sayin'.
amist

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 01:02 am
@Reconstructo,
First this

Reconstructo;126641 wrote:

According to experts in the field. There are many works which are universally considered to be important in the field such as Plato's Republic and Mill's On Liberty. Profound and broad ought to mix sufficiently given enough time.

Quote:
Isn't philosophy largely a clash of opposing viewpoints?

Well, we aren't going to have many anarchists applying for civil service jobs, and if they're going in to undermine it the administration they can be weeded out. And when it comes to ethics and political stuff there is much more consensus at the higher levels than one would imagine.

Quote:
Who says philosophers are wise on the subject of politics in the first place?

When you ask, 'What is the state? What is the purpose of the state?' you are doing philosophy. Naturally those who can best answer these questions and have the best understanding of what statesmanship is ought to be the ones who can best run the state.
Reconstructo

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 01:10 am
@amist,
amist;126647 wrote:

According to experts in the field.

How do we sort the experts from the non-experts? Shall we ask the experts of expertise? But who are they?

---------- Post added 02-10-2010 at 02:12 AM ----------

amist;126647 wrote:
Naturally those who can best answer these questions and have the best understanding of what statesmanship is ought to be the ones who can best run the state.

What are the best answers to these questions? Should we take a vote? Or should we wait to see who can get a brutal gang together first?
0 Replies

amist

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 01:16 am
@amist,
Insty;126638 wrote:
There's nothing pessimistic about it. I think American democracy runs quite well. The fact that it works so well is a powerful argument in its favor. I'm not sure what other kinds of arguments you're looking for, but they sound highly theoretical and more likely to lead to a discussion about an ideal state.

There's a clear sense in which if the American form of goverment ever produces any competent, wise leaders, it is purely accidental. And I'm not entirely convinced that American democracy runs well (Iran Contra, Vietnam, Iraq, Spanish American war, Nuking people, Overthrowing the Chilean government, to name a few major missteps)

Insty;126645 wrote:
It's not entirely clear that Plato really thought democracy was a bad idea.

Just sayin'.

I'm fairly certain that it is entirely clear. What Plato were you reading?

jeeprs;126643 wrote:

It would only take about a decade or two to make the switch over. We'd have to get the education system completely reformed so that we'd be able to have a first batch of administrators of course.

Quote:

It's really only close if you're looking at it on a skeletal level. First things first I don't really consider Confucius an important philosopher outside of the influence he exerted on the Chinese people for so many years. His ideas are negligible. Second the exam contained an essay which had to be written in prose :Not-Impressed:. Entirely besides the point though.

Quote:
How do we sort the experts from the non-experts?

It's pretty damn easy. How many years have they dedicated to studying it? Do they understand what it is correctly and precisely? Then they are an expert. But then they would only seem as an expert to someone who wasn't an expert. Sadly only an expert can be a truly proper judge of who is and who is not an expert. This administrative class would be an elite strata of society almost entirely removed from the rest. They would be able to understand that they are experts and explain to a non-expert how they know it, but they would not be able to prove it to them, such is the nature of expertise, it is esoteric.
Krumple

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 01:20 am
@Jebediah,
Jebediah;126207 wrote:
Why American democracy in particular?

amist;126226 wrote:
I wanted to focus on one system in particular but it outlines a problem with democracy in general.

Well first of all, the US is NOT a democracy, it is a republic. There is a difference and it needs to be noted, because if you want to talk about democracy then you can't use the US as your example.