The handiwork of God

Insty

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 05:33 pm
@Jebediah,
Jebediah;122870 wrote:

Atheists do not believe in a god (zeth is right, I worded that wrong last time). So, of course they do not have a sophisticated conception.

Even accepting this different way of defining "atheism" for the sake of argument, the point remains the same: there are more and less sophisticated forms of atheism, and how sophisticated a person's atheism is (or even whether a person is an atheist at all) depends on how "god" is conceived. If you define "god" as a cosmic puppeteer, I'm an atheist, but a fairly primitive one. If you conceive of god in the way that, say, Feuerbach conceived of god, that's an entirely different proposition altogether.

Jebediah;122870 wrote:

More nuanced is not necessarily better. Conceptions of god become more nuanced when people have to fit their conception of god to their beliefs about how the world works. If you belief that god created mankind, but read a few books about evolution, you take the more nuanced view that god started the whole process and guided it somehow. That is not likely to convince the atheist though, since you are just putting god in the gaps of what the atheist already believes.

In your example, the more nuanced conception is still superior to the less nuanced conception. The fact that the more nuanced conception doesn't ultimately convince an atheist doesn't mean it's no better than the less sophisticated conception. But this is a tangent.

Jebediah;122870 wrote:

See, here I think you guys reveal a misconception of atheists. By and large, we are fine with a god in the gaps type of sophisticated theology. It's the basic, in your face blunt theology that we actually care about. So it's not "the lame runner vs the world class sprinter" it's "the graffiti vandal vs the abstract modern artist". I may not like modern art, but I care a lot more about people spray painting my house.

(For the record, I don't regard the "god of the gaps" view as a sophisticated form of theology. On the contrary). In any case, I don't think my remarks indicated any misconception about atheists. My whole point was that there are lots of different kinds of atheists and atheism. Again, some forms of atheism are deeper and more nuanced than others.
0 Replies

Amperage

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 05:38 pm
@Jebediah,
Jebediah;122876 wrote:
Our views of science don't change when we learn more about god; our views of god change when we learn more about science.
I can grant this but what does this prove exactly? It doesn't prove that God changed, it just proves we had a misunderstanding of His nature.
Krumple

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 05:40 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;122862 wrote:
The problem of evil is best used as an existential exercise. It's best used as a meditation. If God is so lame as to be made repulsive by this challenge, I'd suggest that the God you have in mind is not God. I know that can sound strange, but it's not so odd if we go back to that classic concept regarding God: aseity.

But it is not from the aspect of existentialism that the details come to mind. All you have to do is compare the old testament to the new one and quickly one starts to notice there is a drastic change in god's behavior or reactionary actions towards man.

For example, the original sin concept. The details by which I understand it is that god made humans and they were free to do as they wanted. God gave them only one rule and they disobeyed that rule. God now condemned them because of their disobedience.

That shows the behavior of god. Obey me, or suffer the consequences. So that type of reasoning can be used in other situations. Is god punishing people any time there is a natural disaster? NO you proclaim? Well lets look at another story to see if that is god's behavior or not.

The Noah's arc story? Hmm god sees that humanity have fallen into sin on top of sin and all goodness has been tossed out, their hearts are nothing but wicked. So frustrated, or annoyed, god decides that humans just can not be what he would like them to be and decides he will just destroy everything. But wait, hold on a second, what's this? A man of purity? One out of all these sinful humans, there is one whom is without blemish? Oh if god were to bring harm to this one, it would injustice. So he tells Noah to build a boat because he plans to destroy everything.

Now this story reflects on god as using nature to do his work for him. ie. the flood. So you can use this type of story to reflect on the behavior of the god in the bible. ie. the source of where the concept of god that most adopt comes from. If god is willing to use nature in the bible to do his work, would he still do the same using natural disasters today?

This is where that understanding comes from. The bible is propaganda for anti-theists and it is confusion for the theist, and a book of humor for myself.

No matter how you spin it... Does this mean that you are familiar you all types of prayer? And that you know, for a fact, that prayer is necessarily a form of protest?

Well, if you think so, you're quite wrong. I can recommend some reading if you'd like.

Typical. I present an argument and since you have nothing to answer it with you suggest that I don't know there are other forms of prayer when I clearly pointed out that I did. I acknowledge that there are other forms yet you did not address the forms in which I presented.

Unless I'm not trying to get anyone to arrive at my reasoning. If I say that God is experienced, not reasoned to, then there is no sense in me explaining any sort of reasoning.

Alright fair enough, but why mention it at all then? You didn't provide anything other than to simply say, that is not how I see it. Alright but yeah you are not alone with that argument. There are thirty three thousand denominations of Christianity alone, and not even the same people from the same church can agree on the concepts of Christianity. Because people use vague arguments and convoluted reasoning to proclaim their understanding. When asked why they think that way, you don't get a response, what more can you do?
0 Replies

Jebediah

@Pyrrho,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Well, geology isn't and never was a serious objection to Christianity.
It is and has been to many christians, those who believe in the literal truth of the bible.

I get the impression "god in the gaps" has a much more specific meaning that the more general "religious beliefs adapt to science" way I was using it? I also didn't mean it in a derogative way.

I feel that science has and will have much to say about spirituality.

Amperage wrote:
I can grant this but what does this prove exactly? It doesn't prove that God changed, it just proves we had a misunderstanding of His nature.

But if we had a misunderstanding of his nature, and science showed us otherwise, then it isn't a stretch to say that we still have a misunderstanding of his nature, and that science will show us otherwise. And perhaps our misunderstanding of his nature is thinking he exists.
Didymos Thomas

@Amperage,
If our views of God change as we learn more about science, we have missed God in the first place.

---------- Post added 01-26-2010 at 06:43 PM ----------

Jebediah;122890 wrote:
It is and has been to many christians, those who believe in the literal truth of the bible.

It has been an a challenge to fundamentalist Christianity, to Christianity that has forgotten how to read its scripture. To Christianity that reads the creation story as a scientific work rather than a spiritual work.

Jebediah;122890 wrote:
I get the impression "god in the gaps" has a much more specific meaning that the more general "religious beliefs adapt to science" way I was using it?

Nope, you understand God of the gaps correctly.

Jebediah;122890 wrote:
I feel that science has and will have much to say about spirituality.

To some incarnations of what some people call spirituality. But that can only occur when people conflate science and spirituality.
Amperage

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 05:47 pm
@Jebediah,
Jebediah;122890 wrote:
But if we had a misunderstanding of his nature, and science showed us otherwise, then it isn't a stretch to say that we still have a misunderstanding of his nature, and that science will show us otherwise. And perhaps our misunderstanding of his nature is thinking he exists.
Science helps to point out where our misunderstandings are. Some people believe in God and think the world is only x years old or whatever, clearly they have a misunderstanding. God and science co exist. No amount of science can disprove God, but science can help to show us where we make hasty assumptions.

---------- Post added 01-26-2010 at 05:50 PM ----------

Didymos Thomas;122892 wrote:
If our views of God change as we learn more about science, we have missed God in the first place.
peoples views of God don't necessarily change but their views on what they consider to be facts about Him do
0 Replies

Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 05:56 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Krumple;122889 wrote:
But it is not from the aspect of existentialism that the details come to mind. All you have to do is compare the old testament to the new one and quickly one starts to notice there is a drastic change in god's behavior or reactionary actions towards man.

Yes, the presentation of God changes. But God is not presented in exactly the same way throughout the Old Testament, either.

Krumple;122889 wrote:
For example, the original sin concept. The details by which I understand it is that god made humans and they were free to do as they wanted. God gave them only one rule and they disobeyed that rule. God now condemned them because of their disobedience.

Sort of. It's a bit more involved. God commanded Adam and Eve not to eat of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil - in other words, they are not supposed to judge the world, much less judge the world in terms of dualities. Because Adam and Eve eat of said tree, because we humans like so very much to judge the world, to judge in terms of duality, we are separated by degree from God.

God does not condemn in the story. Adam and Eve separate themselves from God by their disobedience. The message being basically that we humans separate ourselves from God by believing that we can judge, and that we can be so self-righteous as to call something good and something else evil.

Krumple;122889 wrote:

Now this story reflects on god as using nature to do his work for him. ie. the flood. So you can use this type of story to reflect on the behavior of the god in the bible. ie. the source of where the concept of god that most adopt comes from. If god is willing to use nature in the bible to do his work, would he still do the same using natural disasters today?

The story is not a work of history. It is a figurative legend, one with a deeper, didactic purpose.

Krumple;122889 wrote:
Typical. I present an argument and since you have nothing to answer it with you suggest that I don't know there are other forms of prayer when I clearly pointed out that I did. I acknowledge that there are other forms yet you did not address the forms in which I presented.

Except that you claimed that all prayer is a form of protest. That claim is not true. Again, would you like some sources?

Krumple;122889 wrote:
Alright fair enough, but why mention it at all then?

To challenge the strange assumptions some people make about the nature of God.

Krumple;122889 wrote:
You didn't provide anything other than to simply say, that is not how I see it. Alright but yeah you are not alone with that argument.

Except that it wasn't an argument.

Krumple;122889 wrote:
There are thirty three thousand denominations of Christianity alone, and not even the same people from the same church can agree on the concepts of Christianity. Because people use vague arguments and convoluted reasoning to proclaim their understanding. When asked why they think that way, you don't get a response, what more can you do?

Reevaluate your method of approach.

If you go into the subject with aggressive, dismissive arguments armed with simplistic understandings of complex texts, you are not going to get very far at all.

If you are not into religion, if you have no interest in the practice of religion in your own life, there is little sense trying to understand the nature and ways of that practice.

If you want any understanding of God, you have to seek - and seeking God is not merely an intellectual adventure.
Krumple

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 06:05 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;122888 wrote:

Well how do you know that your current belief about god is not wrong? With this one line that you posted here it basically makes all those people who had faith in a tyrant of a god, wrong. You are saying to them that they were misled. But honestly let's look at this with a much more rational reasoning.

How about? When we change, we change god to suit that change? Why? Because god is just our imagination, something we just made up so we can cope with existence.

If we can't understand god's nature then we never will be able to. If we will never be able to then how can you ever be certain that your current understanding is ever right? Because you have faith that you are right? Well hell, all those people in the past you just said they were wrong and misunderstood gods nature. I ask how do you know that you have it right?

What this ultimately leads to is that god wants you to believe but you have absolutely no idea what to believe in. It's so convoluted but no one wants to accept that it is.
Amperage

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 06:12 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple;122908 wrote:
How about? When we change, we change god to suit that change? Why? Because god is just our imagination, something we just made up so we can cope with existence.

If we can't understand god's nature then we never will be able to. If we will never be able to then how can you ever be certain that your current understanding is ever right? Because you have faith that you are right? Well hell, all those people in the past you just said they were wrong and misunderstood gods nature. I ask how do you know that you have it right?

What this ultimately leads to is that god wants you to believe but you have absolutely no idea what to believe in. It's so convoluted but no one wants to accept that it is.
How can you be certain that current scientific understand is right?

What I was pointing out was that people can be wrong about their ideas of what God is but their being wrong does not change what God is.

Faith in God is never wrong however, people can have faith in God for faulty reasons.

I don't think I said that we couldn't understand Gods nature but there will always be more to learn about God's nature. And we can/should in fact come to a better understanding of God's nature all the time.

There are petty issues and there are serious issues when concerning God. Petty issues we can be wrong about as long as we have a good grasp of the serious issues. whether the earth is x years old or not or whether the universe started at the big bang or not or rapture vs no rapture are petty issues. loving others as yourself, believing that God exists, believing I have a soul, believing God is love is a serious issue
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 06:20 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;122904 wrote:
Yes, the presentation of God changes. But God is not presented in exactly the same way throughout the Old Testament, either.

That only strengthens my statement. There is a lack of consistency which favors that god is just a made up concept that is allowed to free float in definition and any definition is never challenged because it is allowable to have any definition one wants to have.

Sort of. It's a bit more involved. God commanded Adam and Eve not to eat of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil - in other words, they are not supposed to judge the world, much less judge the world in terms of dualities. Because Adam and Eve eat of said tree, because we humans like so very much to judge the world, to judge in terms of duality, we are separated by degree from God.

God does not condemn in the story. Adam and Eve separate themselves from God by their disobedience. The message being basically that we humans separate ourselves from God by believing that we can judge, and that we can be so self-righteous as to call something good and something else evil.

Yeah but someone had to design the path way. You can't say there is a choice that never had the premise of the question. It is absurd. It would be like asking someone, which direction they want to drive if there are no roads to drive on. Unless you have an off road vehicle it wouldn't make any sense to ask them that. So there has to be a thought behind the reactionary measure. Therefore god would have to have designed it that way making it his reaction. If you do not accept, you will be cast out.

The story is not a work of history. It is a figurative legend, one with a deeper, didactic purpose.

Yes, you think that, but there were billions that believed it was actual events. There are still thousands that believe it was an actual event. Worse yet there are people in power making political decisions that believe it was an actual event.

Except that you claimed that all prayer is a form of protest. That claim is not true. Again, would you like some sources?

Now I know you didn't read what I wrote because I did state that could be other reasons other than protest. Once again, no direct challenge to my statement about prayer only a strawman to insight I didn't know something that I already knew.

If you go into the subject with aggressive, dismissive arguments armed with simplistic understandings of complex texts, you are not going to get very far at all. If you are not into religion, if you have no interest in the practice of religion in your own life, there is little sense trying to understand the nature and ways of that practice. If you want any understanding of God, you have to seek - and seeking God is not merely an intellectual adventure.

In other words you have to abandon reasoning before you can understand god. Just believe to believe because believing is better than non-belief. That is why the pink elephant exists.

---------- Post added 01-26-2010 at 04:31 PM ----------

Amperage;122913 wrote:
How can you be certain that current scientific understand is right?

I don't and I wouldn't ever assume that it was. However; science can be verified through testing, retesting and continued testing. If the same or similar results keep reoccurring it is safe to assume that you can make rational decisions based of that logic. With god you can't do that because there is nothing to test instead it is just assumptions.

Amperage;122913 wrote:

What I was pointing out was that people can be wrong about their ideas of what God is but their being wrong does not change what God is.

And I am asking, how do you know they are wrong? How do you know what you believe is right?

Amperage;122913 wrote:

Faith in God is never wrong however, people can have faith in God for faulty reasons.

Faith in god is never wrong? How does that make any sense? I believe that my god would want me to kill people for saying a bad word. That is never wrong?

Amperage;122913 wrote:

I don't think I said that we couldn't understand Gods nature but there will always be more to learn about God's nature. And we can/should in fact come to a better understanding of God's nature all the time.

How do you verify it?

Amperage;122913 wrote:

There are petty issues and there are serious issues when concerning God. Petty issues we can be wrong about as long as we have a good grasp of the serious issues. whether the earth is x years old or not or whether the universe started at the big bang or not or rapture vs no rapture are petty issues. loving others as yourself, believing that God exists, believing I have a soul, believing God is love is a serious issue

It is only serious in your point of view, not even other believers would accept what you say here to be the only things that are serious. Therefore your statement is not universal. So how are you verifying that what you say is serious or not serious to discuss?
Amperage

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 06:50 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple;122916 wrote:
I don't and I wouldn't ever assume that it was. However; science can be verified through testing, retesting and continued testing. If the same or similar results keep reoccurring it is safe to assume that you can make rational decisions based of that logic. With god you can't do that because there is nothing to test instead it is just assumptions.
science is based on assumptions as well. God has given us holy books such as the bible(I hope we can at least agree that the bible is a spiritually driven text). We can then make presuppositions(assumptions) about God's nature/will through our understanding of what we've read and by putting those things into practice, say loving others as we love ourselves, we can determine if these things are verifiable.

Krumple;122916 wrote:
And I am asking, how do you know they are wrong? How do you know what you believe is right?
Well through my own understanding and personal reflection and reading of the word I have formulated what I believe. The reason for believing God exists abound in great quantity one needs but to be open to them. Now, presupposing God exists, we are left to try and discover His nature and will. This is why as we discover more about God we begin to pick away at our incorrect notions and slowly reveal what has always been there in the first place.

Krumple;122916 wrote:
Faith in god is never wrong? How does that make any sense? I believe that my god would want me to kill people for saying a bad word. That is never wrong?
Is that why you have faith in God? That's what I was talking about....people can have faith in God, but their reason for having faith may not be correct. That does not mean that their faith isn't though, just their reasoning.

Krumple;122916 wrote:
How do you verify it?
by applying the principles to my life and seeing the results.

Krumple;122916 wrote:
It is only serious in your point of view, not even other believers would accept what you say here to be the only things that are serious. Therefore your statement is not universal. So how are you verifying that what you say is serious or not serious to discuss?
Everything is valid for discussion but only certain things have eternal repercussions. If the subject has eternal repercussions then it's a serious matter. I hold that to be self evident. Whether God created the universe in 6 days or not is not a serious matter because it has no eternal ramifications ie Salvation does not hinge upon it.
As I said it's fine to discuss any and everything but we must bear in mind that there are petty discussion(things with no eternal significance) and there are serious discussions(things with eternal significance). I can be and often probably am wrong about petty discussions, however, I believe that I am and must be correct about serious discussions
Krumple

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 07:09 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;122923 wrote:
science is based on assumptions as well.

Assumptions and hypothesis are not the same thing. Hypothesis are not assumptions because they are used to "guess" what might, or would result to help strengthen the validity of the data. If the data can be predicted prior to testing it shows that the science is in line with the hypothesis. But science never assumes something to be accurate or true without the test or verifying evidence to back it up.

Amperage;122923 wrote:

God has given us holy books such as the bible(I hope we can at least agree that the bible is a spiritually driven text).

Well it can not be confirmed. It is assumed that it is god's reflection of inspired spirituality. There are god believers on this very forum that would object to the bible being a spiritual inspiration. I have also shown that you can't use the bible as any accurate reflection of god's traits. Therefore it is more than likely not an accurate representation of god or anything divine.

Amperage;122923 wrote:

We can then make presuppositions(assumptions) about God's nature/will through our understanding of what we've read and by putting those things into practice, say loving others as we love ourselves, we can determine if these things are verifiable.

Well first of all, god never said love others as we love ourselves. You can make the claim that jesus was god but it is just another assumption. The most rational explanation is that he was just an ordinary man with some understanding of the human condition. If that is the case he is nothing other than using secular reasoning in a spiritual context. It is nothing other than what a non believer can do as well. You don't need god to arrive at that concept.

Amperage;122923 wrote:

Well through my own understanding and personal reflection and reading of the word I have formulated what I believe. The reason for believing God exists abound in great quantity one needs but to be open to them.

And so have the people of the past, but you stated earlier that they got it incorrect. Well you still have not answered how you can know that what you understand to be right, you only went in circles. You basically are saying, you believe you are right because you believe you are right.

Amperage;122923 wrote:

Now, presupposing God exists, we are left to try and discover His nature and will. This is why as we discover more about God we begin to pick away at our incorrect notions and slowly reveal what has always been there in the first place.

Sort of like picking the peddles off a flower can reveal the flower in it's completeness?

Amperage;122923 wrote:

Is that why you have faith in God? That's what I was talking about....people can have faith in God, but their reason for having faith my not be correct. That does not mean that their faith isn't though, just their reasoning.

This is where you are making the whole thing convoluted. Why have faith at all? What is your reasoning for having faith?
Amperage

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 07:17 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple;122927 wrote:
And so have the people of the past, but you stated earlier that they got it incorrect. Well you still have not answered how you can know that what you understand to be right, you only went in circles. You basically are saying, you believe you are right because you believe you are right.
As long as they were correct about the serious issues it really doesn't matter if they were right or wrong about the petty issues.

Krumple;122927 wrote:
Sort of like picking the peddles off a flower can reveal the flower in it's completeness?
No it's more akin to unwrapping a present or sifting through sand to find the gold....the present was always there we just couldn't see it before...the gold was always there we just couldn't see it before.

Krumple;122927 wrote:
This is where you are making the whole thing convoluted. Why have faith at all? What is your reasoning for having faith?
I think there is enough evidence for me to conclude that God exists, therefore it takes little faith(if any at all) for me to make the leap that He does.
0 Replies

Pyrrho

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 07:52 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;122802 wrote:
If we are going to blame God and God alone for this disaster (and ignore, for some inexplicable reason, the human involvement in the disaster, ie, hundreds of years of human tyranny on that island) then we must also blame God for everything good in this world, too. It's God's fault, and no one else had a hand in it, that you are safe, secure, with a marvelous machine that allows you to communicate with millions of people all over the globe, his fault that you have a warm, nutritious meal in the evenings should you be hungry or bored, and a comfortable bed at night.

Not that I think that God is this sort of being (considering that God, traditionally, is not a being at all), but if we're going to make such an assertion, at least give Him credit for everything else, too.

The earthquake is the cause of the disaster. If there is a god who created the world, then earthquakes are caused by god. Human tyranny does not cause earthquakes.

---------- Post added 01-27-2010 at 09:07 AM ----------

kennethamy;122810 wrote:
So is it your claim that God actually caused the earthquake, or that He permitted it to happen, or that He permitted the evil (pain and suffering) that it caused to happen. I am not clear?

That is because I purposefully left it open, as it does not matter which of those is the case for my purposes. If there is a God, and if it created the world, then it caused the earthquake. If there is a God, and if it is omnipotent and omniscient, then even if it were not the creator of the earth, then it knowingly allowed it to happen, and being omnipotent, correcting the problem would have been effortless. What we would be dealing with is a being who did not care enough about the thousands of people to even so much as lift a finger to prevent the earthquake.

The final sentence was a hint that I am not seriously asserting that there is a god. But if there is one, it obviously did not stop the earthquake from happening. And so, it either wanted that, or was unable to prevent it. So we either end up with an evil god or an impotent god (which is so impotent that it was unable to even give a warning of the impending disaster) or both.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 09:37 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple;122916 wrote:
That only strengthens my statement. There is a lack of consistency which favors that god is just a made up concept that is allowed to free float in definition and any definition is never challenged because it is allowable to have any definition one wants to have.

Of course the concept of God is made up - every concept is made up. Someone made up the concept of beauty, yet no one objects to the reality of beauty for this reason. Why make such an objection about God?

As for shifting definitions - the traditional theological opinion is that a definition of God cannot be accurate. God is beyond human language, and the inability of our language to completely express God is taken as evidence of His reality.

People can have whatever definition of God they want, but people doing this does not discredit God. I can paint the most awful paintings, but this ability of mine is no strike against the great paintings. Similarly, just because someone might have a foolish theology, it does not follow that any and all theology is foolish.

Krumple;122916 wrote:
Yeah but someone had to design the path way. You can't say there is a choice that never had the premise of the question. It is absurd. It would be like asking someone, which direction they want to drive if there are no roads to drive on. Unless you have an off road vehicle it wouldn't make any sense to ask them that. So there has to be a thought behind the reactionary measure. Therefore god would have to have designed it that way making it his reaction. If you do not accept, you will be cast out.

Okay, so God allowed Adam and Eve the freedom to disregard His wishes. Sure. But so what? The story is still not simply about condemnation and disobedience. It's deeper than that.

Krumple;122916 wrote:
Yes, you think that, but there were billions that believed it was actual events. There are still thousands that believe it was an actual event. Worse yet there are people in power making political decisions that believe it was an actual event.

You are mistaken about that "billions" figure, given historical populations - and that assumes that, at some point in the past, most people thought the story to be history. But that's really beside the point...

Yes, there are many people who think about scripture in silly, childish ways, people who cannot read very well. So what? Instead of criticizing the scripture, criticize the people. It is not the fault of the scripture that these people refuse to learn anything.

Krumple;122916 wrote:
Now I know you didn't read what I wrote because I did state that could be other reasons other than protest. Once again, no direct challenge to my statement about prayer only a strawman to insight I didn't know something that I already knew.

Or maybe you just don't recall what you wrote. Post #13:

"No matter how you spin [prayer], no matter the method, you are in fact protesting a situation."

Maybe you meant something else, and it's just that your paragraph was not very clear? It happens to everyone.

Krumple;122916 wrote:
In other words you have to abandon reasoning before you can understand god. Just believe to believe because believing is better than non-belief. That is why the pink elephant exists.

No, not at all. Nor did I say such a thing. Yet you accuse me of not reading? Think it over about what I said about aggression.

I do not have to abandon reason in order to learn by experience. I can do both. I said that seeking God is not merely an intellectual matter. It's also experiential.

We can reason to many things, but just because something is logically valid, it may not be logically sound. Without the experience, you cannot know if the premises are true.
[/COLOR]

---------- Post added 01-27-2010 at 10:52 PM ----------

Pyrrho;123000 wrote:
The earthquake is the cause of the disaster. If there is a god who created the world, then earthquakes are caused by god. Human tyranny does not cause earthquakes.

Human tyranny does not cause earthquakes - ya, thanks for the science lesson. I somehow missed that tidbit of information.

Human tyranny does herd massive populations into small areas, house them in poorly built structures, and neglect to provide the necessary tools for handling disaster.
Pyrrho

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2010 09:31 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;123160 wrote:

Human tyranny does not cause earthquakes - ya, thanks for the science lesson. I somehow missed that tidbit of information.

Human tyranny does herd massive populations into small areas, house them in poorly built structures, and neglect to provide the necessary tools for handling disaster.

In other words, people need to take precautions against attacks on their safety by god. That does not excuse god from causing the earthquakes in the first place. You see, the only reason people need to take precautions against earthquakes is because the earth is such that there are earthquakes. If there were a good and powerful god, then it would not make the world so dangerous for people to live in.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2010 09:42 am
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;123000 wrote:

---------- Post added 01-27-2010 at 09:07 AM ----------

That is because I purposefully left it open, as it does not matter which of those is the case for my purposes. If there is a God, and if it created the world, then it caused the earthquake. If there is a God, and if it is omnipotent and omniscient, then even if it were not the creator of the earth, then it knowingly allowed it to happen, and being omnipotent, correcting the problem would have been effortless. What we would be dealing with is a being who did not care enough about the thousands of people to even so much as lift a finger to prevent the earthquake.

The final sentence was a hint that I am not seriously asserting that there is a god. But if there is one, it obviously did not stop the earthquake from happening. And so, it either wanted that, or was unable to prevent it. So we either end up with an evil god or an impotent god (which is so impotent that it was unable to even give a warning of the impending disaster) or both.

Yes, I agree. Or, at least, Leibniz would agree. God created a world which contained earthquakes, and clearly, the evil consequences of earthquakes, because it would have been logically impossible for God to create a world as good as the actual world without creating earthquakes. So, yes, God (in that sense) wanted earthquakes, since God wanted to create the best of all possible worlds, and the best of all possible worlds was an earthquaky world. (And so would Alexander Pope also agree).

Safe in the hand of one disposing Pow'r,
Or in the natal, or the mortal hour.
All Nature is but Art, unknown to thee;
All chance, direction, which thou canst not see
All discord, harmony not understood,
All partial evil, universal good:
And, spite of pride, in erring reason's spite,
One truth is clear, whatever is, is right.

(Alexander Pope: "Essay on Man")
0 Replies

Emil

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2010 11:57 am
@josh0335,
josh0335;122733 wrote:
Perhaps you could thank God for not hitting Haiti with another Earthquake, killing the remaining population along with the American helpers.

While we're at the stupid remarks. Let's thank God for saving the people who got out of the Twin Towers before they collapsed. There must have been some 'greater good' for allowing the planes to hit it first...
Caroline

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2010 12:02 pm
@Emil,
Emil;123281 wrote:
While we're at the stupid remarks. Let's thank God for saving the people who got out of the Twin Towers before they collapsed. There must have been some 'greater good' for allowing the planes to hit it first...
People died at the hands of men driving the planes, not for the sake of some "greater good". You're right that is a stupid remark.
Emil

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2010 12:03 pm
@Caroline,
Caroline;123282 wrote:
People died at the hands of men driving the planes, not for the sake of some "greater good".

All of this was chosen by any tri-omni god.