The handiwork of God

Pyrrho

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 09:57 am
The handiwork of God and human efforts to clean it up:

http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/interactive/2010/01/world/gallery.large.haiti-1/images/26.jpg

http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/interactive/2010/01/world/gallery.large.haiti-1/images/24.jpg

http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/images/01/17/02.rescueteam.afp.gi.jpg

http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/images/01/17/04.medical.afp.gi.jpg

http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/interactive/2010/01/world/gallery.large.haiti-1/images/10.jpg

http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/interactive/2010/01/world/gallery.large.haiti-1/images/14.jpg

http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/interactive/2010/01/world/gallery.large.haiti-1/images/Haiti_photo4.jpg

http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/interactive/2010/01/world/gallery.large.haiti-1/images/Haiti_photo6.jpg

http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/interactive/2010/01/world/gallery.large.haiti-1/images/Haiti_photo7.jpg

http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/interactive/2010/01/world/gallery.large.haiti-1/images/Haiti_photo8.jpg

You can see more pictures (and the above again) starting at:

Haiti earthquake: Photos

The conditions are such that some medical personnel who volunteered to go to Haiti, and have years of experience in U.S. emergency rooms, have begged to be brought back after only three days there, because of the horrific conditions. Things are, however, improving slowly. No thanks to any God, real or imagined.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,892 • Replies: 86
No top replies

josh0335

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 10:29 am
@Pyrrho,
Perhaps you could thank God for not hitting Haiti with another Earthquake, killing the remaining population along with the American helpers.
Insty

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 02:49 pm
@Pyrrho,
Remarks of this sort do atheism a great disservice.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 03:10 pm
@Insty,
If we are going to blame God and God alone for this disaster (and ignore, for some inexplicable reason, the human involvement in the disaster, ie, hundreds of years of human tyranny on that island) then we must also blame God for everything good in this world, too. It's God's fault, and no one else had a hand in it, that you are safe, secure, with a marvelous machine that allows you to communicate with millions of people all over the globe, his fault that you have a warm, nutritious meal in the evenings should you be hungry or bored, and a comfortable bed at night.

Not that I think that God is this sort of being (considering that God, traditionally, is not a being at all), but if we're going to make such an assertion, at least give Him credit for everything else, too.
Zetherin

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 03:24 pm
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho wrote:

No thanks to any God, real or imagined.

What makes you say that? You're angrily blaming God for this?

josh0335 wrote:

Perhaps you could thank God for not hitting Haiti with another Earthquake, killing the remaining population along with the American helpers.

We have to thank God for not doing all the evil acts he could have potentially done?

I suppose that's an interesting way to look at this whole spirituality bit, but I'll pass.

Insty wrote:

Right. And it makes you question if they're even atheist at all. If they're actually blaming this on God, well, it seems to me they believe in something. Or, it gives the appearance that they want to believe, but do not out of anger, fear, or pain.

Didymos Thomas wrote:

If we are going to blame God and God alone for this disaster (and ignore, for some inexplicable reason, the human involvement in the disaster, ie, hundreds of years of human tyranny on that island) then we must also blame God for everything good in this world, too. It's God's fault, and no one else had a hand in it, that you are safe, secure, with a marvelous machine that allows you to communicate with millions of people all over the globe, his fault that you have a warm, nutritious meal in the evenings should you be hungry or bored, and a comfortable bed at night.

Not that I think that God is this sort of being (considering that God, traditionally, is not a being at all), but if we're going to make such an assertion, at least give Him credit for everything else, too.

I think that's reasonable. Consistency.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 03:28 pm
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;122729 wrote:
The handiwork of God and human efforts to clean it up:

http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/interactive/2010/01/world/gallery.large.haiti-1/images/26.jpg

http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/interactive/2010/01/world/gallery.large.haiti-1/images/24.jpg

http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/images/01/17/02.rescueteam.afp.gi.jpg

http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/images/01/17/04.medical.afp.gi.jpg

http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/interactive/2010/01/world/gallery.large.haiti-1/images/10.jpg

http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/interactive/2010/01/world/gallery.large.haiti-1/images/14.jpg

http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/interactive/2010/01/world/gallery.large.haiti-1/images/Haiti_photo4.jpg

http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/interactive/2010/01/world/gallery.large.haiti-1/images/Haiti_photo6.jpg

http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/interactive/2010/01/world/gallery.large.haiti-1/images/Haiti_photo7.jpg

http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/interactive/2010/01/world/gallery.large.haiti-1/images/Haiti_photo8.jpg

You can see more pictures (and the above again) starting at:

Haiti earthquake: Photos

The conditions are such that some medical personnel who volunteered to go to Haiti, and have years of experience in U.S. emergency rooms, have begged to be brought back after only three days there, because of the horrific conditions. Things are, however, improving slowly. No thanks to any God, real or imagined.

So is it your claim that God actually caused the earthquake, or that He permitted it to happen, or that He permitted the evil (pain and suffering) that it caused to happen. I am not clear?
Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 03:31 pm
@kennethamy,
Zetherin;122809 wrote:

I think that's reasonable. Consistency.

Right, I agree. Now if only we could find a significant theological school of thought more than eighty years old that agrees with such a view of God.

Oh, that's right....
0 Replies

Jebediah

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 03:31 pm
@Insty,
Insty;122791 wrote:

No. They piss people off though. But as an argument for atheism they have some merit.

Why worship and pray to a god who allows tens of thousands of innocents to die? Presumable many of them prayed and worshiped.

It at least says something about the nature of god, if you believe in one.
Insty

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 03:46 pm
@Jebediah,
Jebediah;122815 wrote:
No. They piss people off though. But as an argument for atheism they have some merit.

Why worship and pray to a god who allows tens of thousands of innocents to die? Presumable many of them prayed and worshiped.

It at least says something about the nature of god, if you believe in one.

It does atheism a disservice precisely because it isn't a good argument for atheism and because it betrays an unsophisticated conception of god and of god's relationship to the world.
Jebediah

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 03:58 pm
@Insty,
Insty;122825 wrote:
It does atheism a disservice precisely because it isn't a good argument for atheism and because it betrays an unsophisticated conception of god and of god's relationship to the world.

The atheist conception of god is that he doesn't exist. With the "why would god permit evil" argument, they question the why religious people believe in god. It's an argument with a long history because many people have been driven to some form of atheism by it. So how does it do atheism a disservice?

You can give a more nuanced argument for god's relationship to the world like "he gave us the ability to make our own choices", and "his reasons aren't knowable", but they don't have merit merely because they are more sophisticated. Presumably Pyrrho disagrees with those notions.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 04:07 pm
@Jebediah,
And the problem of evil, in many forms, has been addressed time and time again. It's to the point where it's really not even a serious objection.

Most of the expressions of the problem of evil rely on God as some sort of being. But God as a being is explicitly rejected by traditional theology. Sure, you can find "theology" that considers God a being, but that's picking on the lame runner when a world class sprinter is waiting for a real contest.
Zetherin

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 04:09 pm
@Pyrrho,
Jebediah wrote:
The atheist conception of god is that he doesn't exist.

Wait, make note that's strong atheism. A weak atheist does not say God doesn't exist. He just says he doesn't believe in God (and, of course, it would have to be clarified which God we're speaking of). You can, at the same time, not believe in something, but still acknowledge that that thing may exist or be true.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 04:30 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;122840 wrote:
And the problem of evil, in many forms, has been addressed time and time again. It's to the point where it's really not even a serious objection.

It still points out problems with some religious thinking. Like praying helps? If praying helps, it implies that god would consider getting involved or "helping" to solve your dilemma. Perhaps that is not how people want prayer to be used? Okay so it is not used to protest to god but instead just some kind of reminder to do what exactly? "I'm here god, don't really like what's going on, but hey if you feel this is your plan, then I'm fine with it, but would you mind, seeing it from my point for a second?" No matter how you spin it, no matter the method, you are in fact protesting a situation. That you feel the need to remind god that you exist and don't really like some current experience. I guess you could use it in positive terms too but there is a story about that I'll save for another time.

Most of the expressions of the problem of evil rely on God as some sort of being. But God as a being is explicitly rejected by traditional theology.

Alright, god is not a being, then explain what god is in very specific terms because this is very vague to leave it like this. You have to explain it or else no one can arrive at your reasoning. It would be like me saying if you want to get from point A to point B just do something. It's so vague it doesn't give you anything to go on.

Is your definition universal for all gods? Or just one god? Is Amon Ra not a being too?
Insty

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 04:38 pm
@Jebediah,
Jebediah;122835 wrote:
The atheist conception of god is that he doesn't exist. With the "why would god permit evil" argument, they question the why religious people believe in god. It's an argument with a long history because many people have been driven to some form of atheism by it. So how does it do atheism a disservice?

You can give a more nuanced argument for god's relationship to the world like "he gave us the ability to make our own choices", and "his reasons aren't knowable", but they don't have merit merely because they are more sophisticated. Presumably Pyrrho disagrees with those notions.

All atheists deny that god exists, but that doesn't mean that they all conceive of "god" in the same way. Some atheists think of god as a kind of divine puppeteer; some atheists think of god as a divine watch-maker; still others think of god along Spinozist lines, or in Wittgensteinian terms, etc. Some of these conceptions of god are more sophisticated than others. When someone refers to horrible events like the earthquake in Haiti as god's "handiwork," it's clear that his conception of god is unsophisticated.

More nuanced conceptions of god do have more merit than less nuanced conceptions. That's part of what it means to say that the conception of god is more nuanced.

The argument from evil and/or suffering has been around for millenia. Wheeling this argument out argument every time a horrible tragedy happens in the world -- especially by referring to the tragedy as god's "handiwork" -- does atheism a disservice because it makes atheism seem glib. It also makes atheists look predictable and boorish. It's not very interesting or enlightening to hear this same argument over and over, and over.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 04:42 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple;122852 wrote:
It still points out problems with some religious thinking.

Yes, the problem of evil is quite useful against some lines of thinking. But this is why I compared using the problem of evil seriously to challenging a lame runner when a world class sprinter waits for a race.

The problem of evil is best used as an existential exercise. It's best used as a meditation. If God is so lame as to be made repulsive by this challenge, I'd suggest that the God you have in mind is not God.

I know that can sound strange, but it's not so odd if we go back to that classic concept regarding God: aseity.

Krumple;122852 wrote:
Like praying helps? If praying helps, it implies that god would consider getting involved or "helping" to solve your dilemma. Perhaps that is not how people want prayer to be used? Okay so it is not used to protest to god but instead just some kind of reminder to do what exactly? "I'm here god, don't really like what's going on, but hey if you feel this is your plan, then I'm fine with it, but would you mind, seeing it from my point for a second?" No matter how you spin it, no matter the method, you are in fact protesting a situation. That you feel the need to remind god that you exist and don't really like some current experience. I guess you could use it in positive terms too but there is a story about that I'll save for another time.

No matter how you spin it... Does this mean that you are familiar you all types of prayer? And that you know, for a fact, that prayer is necessarily a form of protest?

Well, if you think so, you're quite wrong. I can recommend some reading if you'd like.

Krumple;122852 wrote:
Alright, god is not a being, then explain what god is in very specific terms because this is very vague to leave it like this. You have to explain it or else no one can arrive at your reasoning. It would be like me saying if you want to get from point A to point B just do something. It's so vague it doesn't give you anything to go on.

Unless I'm not trying to get anyone to arrive at my reasoning. If I say that God is experienced, not reasoned to, then there is no sense in me explaining any sort of reasoning.

Krumple;122852 wrote:
Is your definition universal for all gods?

No. Not if you mean all conceptions of God.
Zetherin

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 04:55 pm
@Pyrrho,
Insty wrote:
All atheists deny that god exists

Once again, this is wrong. All atheists don't believe in God, but not all atheists deny that God exists.

I'd like to now echo your first post -

"Remarks of this sort do atheism a great disservice."
0 Replies

Jebediah

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 05:01 pm
@Insty,

It's been addressed time and again, and people's conceptions of god have changed. This is like saying geology isn't a serious objection to christianity, because hardly anyone is a young earther.

Insty;122858 wrote:
All atheists deny that god exists, but that doesn't mean that they all conceive of "god" in the same way. Some atheists think of god as a kind of divine puppeteer; some atheists think of god as a divine watch-maker; still others think of god along Spinozist lines, or in Wittgensteinian terms, etc. Some of these conceptions of god are more sophisticated than others. When someone refers to horrible events like the earthquake in Haiti as god's "handiwork," it's clear that his conception of god is unsophisticated.

More nuanced conceptions of god do have more merit than less nuanced conceptions. That's part of what it means to say that the conception of god is more nuanced.

Atheists do not believe in a god (zeth is right, I worded that wrong last time). So, of course they do not have a sophisticated conception.

More nuanced is not necessarily better. Conceptions of god become more nuanced when people have to fit their conception of god to their beliefs about how the world works. If you belief that god created mankind, but read a few books about evolution, you take the more nuanced view that god started the whole process and guided it somehow. That is not likely to convince the atheist though, since you are just putting god in the gaps of what the atheist already believes.

Insty wrote:
The argument from evil and/or suffering has been around for millenia. Wheeling this argument out argument every time a horrible tragedy happens in the world -- especially by referring to the tragedy as god's "handiwork" -- does atheism a disservice because it makes atheism seem glib. It also makes atheists look predictable and boorish. It's not very interesting or enlightening to hear this same argument over and over, and over.

Didymos Thomas wrote:
Most of the expressions of the problem of evil rely on God as some sort of being. But God as a being is explicitly rejected by traditional theology. Sure, you can find "theology" that considers God a being, but that's picking on the lame runner when a world class sprinter is waiting for a real contest.

See, here I think you guys reveal a misconception of atheists. By and large, we are fine with a god in the gaps type of sophisticated theology. It's the basic, in your face blunt theology that we actually care about. So it's not "the lame runner vs the world class sprinter" it's "the graffiti vandal vs the abstract modern artist". I may not like modern art, but I care a lot more about people spray painting my house.
Amperage

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 05:09 pm
@Jebediah,
Jebediah;122870 wrote:
More nuanced is not necessarily better. Conceptions of god become more nuanced when people have to fit their conception of god to their beliefs about how the world works.
scientist do the exact same thing....as they learn more their conceptions change....as we learn more about God our conception changes. If this is an invalidation of God it's an invalidation of science
Jebediah

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 05:14 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;122873 wrote:
scientist do the exact same thing....as they learn more their conceptions change....as we learn more about God our conception changes. If this is an invalidation of God it's an invalidation of science

Tons of science has been invalidated. I certainly wouldn't want to be bled to restore the balance of my humors.

It isn't an invalidation of science because the sophisticated conceptions of god include a belief in science. Our views of science don't change when we learn more about god; our views of god change when we learn more about science.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 05:22 pm
@Jebediah,
Jebediah;122870 wrote:
It's been addressed time and again, and people's conceptions of god have changed. This is like saying geology isn't a serious objection to christianity, because hardly anyone is a young earther.

Well, geology isn't and never was a serious objection to Christianity.

Jebediah;122870 wrote:
See, here I think you guys reveal a misconception of atheists. By and large, we are fine with a god in the gaps type of sophisticated theology.

Misconceptions? A God of the gaps is a misconception. Spirituality and science are two completely different fields - and this is something traditional theology has understood for a thousand plus years. A God of the gaps assumes that science can diminish the role of God, but that's fundamentalism.

I'm not fine with a God of the gaps theology.
0 Replies