This is probably a stupid question

boomerang

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 04:45 pm
Quite alright - quite fun actually.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 05:02 pm
Rumour has it your mission is to hijack any and all threads with your odd brand of langourous humour.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 05:51 pm
Not at all. One just tends to have a curiously strong reaction to seeing the word "glamour" in publications in the States...
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 06:15 pm
Being pedantic myself and all, I looked up glamor in my oldest handy reference, a 1937 Roget's. Sorry, D'A, but it was glamour then, too. Btw, did you know it comes from a dialectic Scottish form of the word Grammar?

Sorry, Boomerang. Wink Yours really is an interesting question.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 07:21 pm
boomer brings glamour into even the darkest corners of the globe...
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 08:08 pm
That's me - a total glamour pus (or is that glamorpus?)!

Theres a word I don't get to use very often - glamourpus (another alternative). I think I'll start using it once a day to see if it will catch on.

Never-the-less, you have absolutely made my otherwise sticky day, SealPoet. It's no wonder that I love you.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 10:17 am
Umm, it's "puss", boomerang. "Pus" is that green stuff that leaks from wounds. And you are. Glamorous.

I throw in the towel on "glamor"...
0 Replies

Rezman

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 10:45 am
hobitbob wrote:
Quote:
Bringing the system back up to a level that is at least near the Internatioanl average is a sign of things "getting back to normal" for the average Iraqi.

Things will be "normal" when girls are not terrorized or subject to rape and abduction when attempting to attend these institutions.

I haven't seen this type of activity being reported in Iraq. Do you have any sources for this assertion? The reports I have seen are of children of both sexes going to schools, being taught by women.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 10:51 am
You might want to try reading recent reports in al-Jazeera.net, Arabnews.com, Guardian.UK, London Times, London Sunday Times, FAZ.de, Jordantimes.com, Le Monde, Foreign Affairs, World Policy Journal, or the recent NPR interview with three male university students in Iraq, etc.....
I would like to see these reports you speak of. It isn't that I don't believe you, its just that I find it unlikely to be occurring in any but a few very isolated places.
0 Replies

Rezman

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 11:19 am
The reports I saw were on NBC Nightly News.

From what I can tell perusing the web, it looks as though there are threats being made against schools, and on these days children are kept out of school. And the Ba'athist resistance is setting explosives and terrorizing school attendees. I can't find reports in mainstream online media about what you describe (which, if I'm reading you correctly, is an organized effort specifically to keep girls out of school and women off the street, like some reversion to Sharia.)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/3210844.stm
http://www.metimes.com/2K3/issue2003-44/reg/baghdad_bombs_terrorise.htm
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 11:52 am
Quote:
From what I can tell perusing the web, it looks as though there are threats being made against schools, and on these days children are kept out of school. And the Ba'athist resistance is setting explosives and terrorizing school attendees

Give the conservative a cigar. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 11:55 am
What are the odds, with the current Bush plan of turning the country over to the Iraqis (whatever that means at this point) before the next election, that the situation won't be worse than ever by 2005?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 11:59 am
hobitbob wrote:
You might want to try reading recent reports in al-Jazeera.net, Arabnews.com, Guardian.UK, London Times, London Sunday Times, FAZ.de, Jordantimes.com, Le Monde, Foreign Affairs, World Policy Journal, or the recent NPR interview with three male university students in Iraq, etc.....
I would like to see these reports you speak of. It isn't that I don't believe you, its just that I find it unlikely to be occurring in any but a few very isolated places.

I'd like to see some of yours. Punch "Iraq School Rape" in and do a search for any article containing all 3 words on the very WWW sites you listed comes back with a big goose-egg. Not one article from The Guardain, not one from the London Times, none from Arab News and not one from the Jordan Times. Nothing in the World Policy Journal either. Nor is there any mention on Human Rights Watch's WWW site.

The ONLY reference I could find was in an article on Amnesty International's WWW site and that article was discussing the situation in Basra back in April 2003 - just after the US and UK had taken over that city.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 01:13 pm
Never tried Iraq school rape(great name for a band), but try abductions, school openings or school closings. I would hope that rapes in school are purely an American phenomenon. Sad
0 Replies

Rezman

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 11:46 am
hobitbob wrote:
Quote:
From what I can tell perusing the web, it looks as though there are threats being made against schools, and on these days children are kept out of school. And the Ba'athist resistance is setting explosives and terrorizing school attendees

Give the liberal a big middle finger.

Why is that people on this site get immediately rude? I've yet to have more than 1 actual civil discussion.

Why not address the rest of what I said?
I wrote:
I can't find reports in mainstream online media about what you describe (which, if I'm reading you correctly, is an organized effort specifically to keep girls out of school and women off the street, like some reversion to Sharia.)
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 11:57 am
Rezman wrote:
hobitbob wrote:
Quote:

Why is that people on this site get immediately rude? I've yet to have more than 1 actual civil discussion.

Rudeness would appear to be in the eye of the beholder, but your response is attacking a gnat with a machine gun...
0 Replies

Rezman

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 12:05 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
Rezman wrote:
hobitbob wrote:
Quote:

Rudeness would appear to be in the eye of the beholder, but your response is attacking a gnat with a machine gun...

I'd say it was right on scale.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 02:26 pm
Calm down people. It's just a message board.

Back to glamour, I've never seen it spelled glamor either. The one word misuse thing that gets me is "loose" instead of "lose". Some say it is because of the way "choose" is spelled/pronounced that causes the confusion. But what about "noose" or "moose" as compared to "nose"?

I see more people loosing more **** on the web. Wink
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 03:35 pm
This discussion was more fun (and interesting) when it was about spelling "glamour"--thanks for pulling us back on track, cjhsa.

As for "lose" and "loose": I can't answer that, but the words are pronounced differently (the "s" sound). I thought that perhaps the two words were derived from different root langugages, which accounts for a lot of the anomalies in English spelling. But that's not the case with these words. So I'll leave it to someone else to explain it, someone who knows about etymology than I do...
0 Replies