The McVeigh Tapes

Deckard

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 09:11 pm
The McVeigh Tapes here:
Rachel Maddow Show

I just watched the McVeigh Tapes program presented by Rachel Maddow. I usually like Maddow usually but something stank about The McVeigh Tapes. The program is interspersed with "expert opinions" that attack McVeigh as a coward, a failure, and a psychopath. Maybe he was these things but what bothered me is that the program didn't want me to decide for myself. It was if the producers were worried that if The McVeigh tapes were presented in a truly objective manner it would be too likely that the viewer would sympathize with McVeigh.

All I really want to say about the matter is that perhaps he was neither a coward nor a hero. Perhaps he was neither a failure nor a success. Perhaps he was neither a psychopath nor completely sane.

Yet it is difficult to fault Maddow et al here. How else can such information be presented to a mass audience? How do we talk about someone like McVeigh without the ominous music and calling him a coward, failure and psychopath every 30 seconds? Are such ad hominum attacks on McVeigh obligatory, involuntary, necessary, or...a factual representation of who McVeigh actually was?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 685 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Jebediah

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 10:34 pm
@Deckard,
I know very little about him or the details of the incident. But in general I agree with you. I think there's an instinctive urge to separate such people into a completely different category than ourselves. Kind of a defense mechanism.
0 Replies

William

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 09:16 am
@Deckard,
Hello Ali, ain't television grand? I watched all the videos (12 in all in ten minute segments) and not one of those showed the (exclusive) videos the broadcast itself was based upon. If they were in fact "McVeigh talking", why did they have to use actors? They were "audio/video" tapes, why didn't they just show those? Maddow even commented on how the broadcast used manipulation to tell a supposed truth??????

Remember all is propaganda until the truth is known. With television today coupled with the technology we have, there is no way anyone will ever know what is and is not the truth that comes from that media.

William
0 Replies

Doubt doubt

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 09:50 am
@Deckard,
Deckard;155523 wrote:
The McVeigh Tapes here:
Rachel Maddow Show

I just watched the McVeigh Tapes program presented by Rachel Maddow. I usually like Maddow usually but something stank about The McVeigh Tapes. The program is interspersed with "expert opinions" that attack McVeigh as a coward, a failure, and a psychopath. Maybe he was these things but what bothered me is that the program didn't want me to decide for myself. It was if the producers were worried that if The McVeigh tapes were presented in a truly objective manner it would be too likely that the viewer would sympathize with McVeigh.

All I really want to say about the matter is that perhaps he was neither a coward nor a hero. Perhaps he was neither a failure nor a success. Perhaps he was neither a psychopath nor completely sane.

Yet it is difficult to fault Maddow et al here. How else can such information be presented to a mass audience? How do we talk about someone like McVeigh without the ominous music and calling him a coward, failure and psychopath every 30 seconds? Are such ad hominum attacks on McVeigh obligatory, involuntary, necessary, or...a factual representation of who McVeigh actually was?

I saw that lady on some show talking about how they had to edit it on purpose to make McVeigh look bad so as not to have someone else bomb something. It saddens me to say but had he picked a better target i would respect him. but he killed innocent people and that is just as bad as what he was against. Had he blew up the people responsible for the dead children in Texas i would have supported it as much so as i could without me being charged with a crime.
0 Replies