What are your thoughts on Obama's Afghanistan plan?

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 08:22 pm
I've been so busy recently that I've not had the time to digest this. I'm interested in hearing the thoughts of other forum members about the direction of the war in Afghanistan.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 656 • Replies: 7
No top replies

kennethamy

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 08:28 pm
@Robert phil,
Robert;107702 wrote:
I've been so busy recently that I've not had the time to digest this. I'm interested in hearing the thoughts of other forum members about the direction of the war in Afghanistan.

"Direction" is ambiguous. Do you mean how the war is being conducted, or where it is going?
Robert phil

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 08:33 pm
@kennethamy,
I mean the surge and drawdown plans he announced in his speech yesterday.
kennethamy

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 08:42 pm
@Robert phil,
Robert;107711 wrote:
I mean the surge and drawdown plans he announced in his speech yesterday.

The question for me is how enthusiastically Obama will pursue this. He didn't sound enthusiastic. I am not happy about his placing a firm date on the beginning of exiting. I think it is a mistake to do that. At least, in public.
0 Replies

Theaetetus

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 12:04 am
@Robert phil,
Well, I am disappointed to say the least. I knew that Obama seemed to want to take on Afghanistan as his war before he was elected, but I just don't see how he thinks it is still a good idea now. It is one of those safe political moves because he can say that the war was already in place before he took power, and that his opposition (the Republican Party) started the war in the first place. The potential political repercussions are so minor that Obama really has nothing to worry about. It just seems like such a calculated move at this time in the administration in order to preserve itself.
kennethamy

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 01:07 am
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus;107750 wrote:
Well, I am disappointed to say the least. I knew that Obama seemed to want to take on Afghanistan as his war before he was elected, but I just don't see how he thinks it is still a good idea now. It is one of those safe political moves because he can say that the war was already in place before he took power, and that his opposition (the Republican Party) started the war in the first place. The potential political repercussions are so minor that Obama really has nothing to worry about. It just seems like such a calculated move at this time in the administration in order to preserve itself.

Strange post. Nothing about the conduct and plans about the war. But about politics. Obama called it a "war of necessity" about three months ago.
0 Replies

Camerama

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 09:46 am
@Robert phil,
He's committing 30000 American Troops and 5000 NATO troops so we can withdraw in 18 months? Sounds like a calculated retreat and a disguised surrender. He sets a deadline to defeat an enemy im afghanistan? If the enemy isnt deafeated then i guess we gave it our best right? I think it was a sloppy and ambivalent speech bereft of any emotion. The first year is estimated at $30 Billion...a $30 Billion retreat in the face of an estimated 100 Al Qaeda terrorists. But hey, at least he got the nobel peace prize. I cant believe that this war has taken longer than WW2
kennethamy

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 09:56 am
@Camerama,
Camerama;107821 wrote:
He's committing 30000 American Troops and 5000 NATO troops so we can withdraw in 18 months? Sounds like a calculated retreat and a disguised surrender. He sets a deadline to defeat an enemy im afghanistan? If the enemy isnt deafeated then i guess we gave it our best right? I think it was a sloppy and ambivalent speech bereft of any emotion. The first year is estimated at $30 Billion...a $30 Billion retreat in the face of an estimated 100 Al Qaeda terrorists. But hey, at least he got the nobel peace prize. I cant believe that this war has taken longer than WW2

Yes. It looks as if he is just splitting the difference between his left and his right. Get out, or give it the full shot. As usual, that kind of thing is a recipe for disaster. I keep hoping he knows what he is doing, but that seems to be the "triumph of hope over experience".
0 Replies