Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 01:42 am
Greetings to all..

In the thread, "Why Does God Permit Evil?" there have been definitions bandied about in a very general way about what constitutes "evil".

Therefore, I'm putting the question to the public soapbox.

How do you define "evil"?

-ITL-
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,033 • Replies: 98
No top replies

GoshisDead

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 04:23 am
@IntoTheLight,
'evil' of course is 'live' backwards
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 04:59 am
@IntoTheLight,
Yeah and if you put a d infront you get devil. Evil is caused by greed, weakness and abuse in early childhood can turn a person into a pretty bad character leading to heinous crimes and act, and people who are hungry for the wrong kind of power, (as opposed to the right kind).
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 07:39 am
@IntoTheLight,
IntoTheLight;106305 wrote:
Greetings to all..

In the thread, "Why Does God Permit Evil?" there have been definitions bandied about in a very general way about what constitutes "evil".

Therefore, I'm putting the question to the public soapbox.

How do you define "evil"?

-ITL-

Good question. Evil is suffering and pain that happens to people, but also to innocent animals. Events and things that cause suffering and pain, are also evil, but the causes of suffering and pain are often called, "evils". Evils are, for example, disease, floods, earthquakes, and other natural disasters which cause suffering and pain to people and animals. Evil can be divided into: moral evil, and non-moral evil. Moral evil is the evil intentionally caused by people. Rape, murder, wars, and so on. Non-moral evil is the evil caused by natural disasters like disease, pestilence, famine, flood, and so on, and such natural disasters are evils too, since they are the cause of evils.

By the way, I don't think the above is particularly the way I define "evil". It is the way that the term, "evil" (and its synonyms) is used in English, and how synonyms of "evil" are used in other languages. How I, or a particular person, or even a particular group of people, define, "evil", really does not matter. What matters is what "evil" means, or how the term, "evil" is used by fluent English speakers.
re turner jr

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 08:13 am
@kennethamy,
Caroline;106343 wrote:
Yeah and if you put a d infront you get devil. Evil is caused by greed, weakness and abuse in early childhood can turn a person into a pretty bad character leading to heinous crimes and act, and people who are hungry for the wrong kind of power, (as opposed to the right kind).

Evil is caused by greed? I would say that greed is also evil; which re-worded would be "evil is caused by evil" and while that may be true it gets us no closed to the answer to the OP, but that's not what I wanted to ask... see below

kennethamy;106353 wrote:
Good question. Evil is suffering and pain that happens to people, but also to innocent animals. Events and things that cause suffering and pain, are also evil, but the causes of suffering and pain are often called, "evils". Evils are, for example, disease, floods, earthquakes, and other natural disasters which cause suffering and pain to people and animals. Evil can be divided into: moral evil, and non-moral evil. Moral evil is the evil intentionally caused by people. Rape, murder, wars, and so on. Non-moral evil is the evil caused by natural disasters like disease, pestilence, famine, flood, and so on, and such natural disasters are evils too, since they are the cause of evils.

How does one come to the conclusion that pain and suffering are evil. Is there an objective point of reference? If not, then couldn't we just as easily say that happiness and bliss (or whatever cause happiness and bliss) are evil?
kennethamy

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 09:15 am
@re turner jr,
re_turner_jr;106358 wrote:
Evil is caused by greed? I would say that greed is also evil; which re-worded would be "evil is caused by evil" and while that may be true it gets us no closed to the answer to the OP, but that's not what I wanted to ask... see below

How does one come to the conclusion that pain and suffering are evil. Is there an objective point of reference? If not, then couldn't we just as easily say that happiness and bliss (or whatever cause happiness and bliss) are evil?

If you don't like the word, "evil", how about the word, "bad". Aren't pain and suffering bad?

Evil is often caused by evil. If a thing like disease, causes pain and suffering, which it does, then what causes the pain and suffering, is itself, an evil. Disease is an evil as a cause of evil, and what it causes is also, evil, since it causes pain and suffering.

You seem to think that all evils are moral evils, and since you don't think there are moral evils, you don't think there are evils. But, not all evils are moral evils. There are non-moral evils, like disease, or like earthquakes. So the first premise of the above argument is false. Namely, that all evils are moral evils.
re turner jr

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 09:43 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;106364 wrote:
If you don't like the word, "evil", how about the word, "bad". Aren't pain and suffering bad?

Evil is often caused by evil. If a thing like disease, causes pain and suffering, which it does, then what causes the pain and suffering, is itself, an evil. Disease is an evil as a cause of evil, and what it causes is also, evil, since it causes pain and suffering.

You seem to think that all evils are moral evils, and since you don't think there are moral evils, you don't think there are evils. But, not all evils are moral evils. There are non-moral evils, like disease, or like earthquakes. So the first premise of the above argument is false. Namely, that all evils are moral evils.

I think you misunderstood my post and my position. Let me try again..
I agree that evil/bad/sin can beget evil. My question is 'on what basis do we distinguish between what is good and what is evil?' --or-- 'Why is pain and suffering (murder, rape, hurricanes, drought) evil?'

I may be wrong, but my understanding of the OP was not to list examples of evils but to answer what defines something as evil (what makes evil evil.)
kennethamy

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 09:49 am
@re turner jr,
re_turner_jr;106369 wrote:
I think you misunderstood my post and my position. Let me try again..
I agree that evil/bad/sin can beget evil. My question is 'on what basis do we distinguish between what is good and what is evil?' --or-- 'Why is pain and suffering (murder, rape, hurricanes, drought) evil?'

I may be wrong, but my understanding of the OP was not to list examples of evils but to answer what defines something as evil (what makes evil evil.)

As I said, if you don't like "evil" drop it. Aren't pain and suffering, especially bad pain and suffering bad? Isn't what hurts, bad, and pain and suffering hurt? As for the question, why is what hurts bad, I really don't know how to answer that.
QuinticNon

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 10:04 am
@IntoTheLight,
God = Truth = Information

Satan = Deception = Entropy (noise)

The Medium is not the Message. Evil manifests when the Medium and Message are conflated as equals.

Apple wants you to believe that the iPod is entertainment, rather than a gateway to entertainment. This is the goal of all commercial advertising.

Pass me a KleenX... when any tissue will do.

I can walk into any Kinkos and ask for a Xerox... but what I really want is a copy. I cannot ask for a Canon, a Ricoh, a Minolta, or a Kyocera.

Remember when AOL wanted you to believe that they were the internet, rather than a gateway into the internet?
0 Replies

re turner jr

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 10:28 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;106370 wrote:
As I said, if you don't like "evil" drop it. Aren't pain and suffering, especially bad pain and suffering bad? Isn't what hurts, bad, and pain and suffering hurt? As for the question, why is what hurts bad, I really don't know how to answer that.

OK, then we'll go in this direction.

1) All pain is evil
2) Things that cause pain are also evil
3) Childbirth is painful and causes pain
Therefore
4) Childbirth is evil

Is this what you mean?
lol, it would defiantly put a different view on the prolife/prochoice debate
kennethamy

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 10:50 am
@re turner jr,
re_turner_jr;106375 wrote:
OK, then we'll go in this direction.

1) All pain is evil
2) Things that cause pain are also evil
3) Childbirth is painful and causes pain
Therefore
4) Childbirth is evil

Is this what you mean?
lol, it would defiantly put a different view on the prolife/prochoice debate

The pain childbirth causes is, of course, evil. (Just as the pain a root canal procedure causes is evil). But childbirth also causes good things (presumably) like children, the preservation of the race, and so on. So, childbirth is a mixed bag. Just as a root canal is. It is valued for some of its effects, but also disvalued for some of its effects (just as a root canal procedure is). But, overall, we seem to think that both childbirth and root canal procedures are more valuable than disvaluable, or we would not choose either. Long ago, Aristotle distinguished between intrinsic value and extrinsic value. Pain and suffering are both intrinsically bad (bad in themselves) but what causes them may cause sufficient extrinsic value, to compensate for the pain and suffering. You take the bitter with the sweet, because, over all, the sweet in this case is sweeter than the bitter is bitter. So the mother chooses the evil associated with child birth in order to get the good she associates with child birth. It is a package deal.
re turner jr

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 11:03 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;106378 wrote:
The pain childbirth causes is, of course, evil. (Just as the pain a root canal procedure causes is evil). But childbirth also causes good things (presumably) like children, the preservation of the race, and so on. So, childbirth is a mixed bag. Just as a root canal is. It is valued for some of its effects, but also disvalued for some of its effects (just as a root canal procedure is). But, overall, we seem to think that both childbirth and root canal procedures are more valuable than disvaluable, or we would not choose either. Long ago, Aristotle distinguished between intrinsic value and extrinsic value. Pain and suffering are both intrinsically bad (bad in themselves) but what causes them may cause sufficient extrinsic value, to compensate for the pain and suffering. You take the bitter with the sweet, because, over all, the sweet in this case is sweeter than the bitter is bitter. So the mother chooses the evil associated with child birth in order to get the good she associates with child birth. It is a package deal.

So would we have to delete proposition (2) altogether. In fact, would we now have to say that things are amoral (neither good nor evil). Rather only the results of things may be classified as good or evil?

so Childbirth (thing) is not good or bad but the results may be classified. Pain (result) attributed to childbirth = bad. Production of life (result) = good
kennethamy

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 02:30 pm
@re turner jr,
re_turner_jr;106381 wrote:
So would we have to delete proposition (2) altogether. In fact, would we now have to say that things are amoral (neither good nor evil). Rather only the results of things may be classified as good or evil?

so Childbirth (thing) is not good or bad but the results may be classified. Pain (result) attributed to childbirth = bad. Production of life (result) = good

No. Why would we eliminate 2? Evil is intrinsically bad (by definition) but it may be extrinsically good. So what causes evil is also evil (intrinsically) but may be good (extrinsically). So it may be said to be bad in one aspect, and good in a different aspect. The only question, then, is its overall evaluation. Does the good outweigh the bad, or vice-versa? It certainly is not neither good evil. It is either good (overall) or bad (overall). Is a root canal procedure neither good nor bad? Of course not. It is bad in that it is painful, but it is good in that it results in a healthy mouth. Is the healthy mouth worth the pain. Apparently, otherwise people would not choose to do it. Notice, we are not talking about morality here at all. Just about bad and good. There is no morality involved. A healthy mouth is a good mouth, but it is not a moral mouth.
re turner jr

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 02:40 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;106423 wrote:
... So what causes evil is also evil (intrinsically) but may be good (extrinsically). ... It is either good (overall) or bad (overall). ...

These two statements seem to contradict one another, as the first is dialectic (a thing can be both good and evil) and the second appeals tothe law of non-contradiction (it is either good or bad... implying that it is not both)

So are you saying a thing or event / action can only be evaluated by the end result? In short, that any means can be justifiable so long as the end is more good than bad?
kennethamy

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 02:56 pm
@re turner jr,
re_turner_jr;106428 wrote:
These two statements seem to contradict one another, as the first is dialectic (a thing can be both good and evil) and the second appeals tothe law of non-contradiction (it is either good or bad... implying that it is not both)

So are you saying a thing or event / action can only be evaluated by the end result? In short, that any means can be justifiable so long as the end is more good than bad?

No. I am saying that some actions, for instance, like having a root canal procedure, are worth doing although they entail pain because the good result outweighs the bad of the pain. So, some things can be intrinsically bad (painful) but extrinsically good. Result in overall satisfaction. So that a rational person will endure the pain in order to achieve the good. I did not say that things can be only evaluated by their ends. Sometimes, for instance as in the case of terrorism, unacceptable means are used to achieve an end which the terrorist may consider good. Whether the ends are worth the means or not cannot be rationally decided in the abstract. No more than whether the cost of a purchase is worth the purchase. Just as both the cost and the purchase have to be known, so, also, the ends and the means have to be known.
0 Replies

prothero

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 11:08 pm
@IntoTheLight,
I am afraid evil is really a value judgment: an aesthetic notion and not an objective reality.

In the absence of some notion of the divine and some notion of transcendent values it is virtually impossible to establish agreed upon criteria for evil and even then it is difficult.

In general I would say evil is any occurrence or action without which the world would have been better off in the long run. The phrase is somewhat carefully structured. The reason is that in the traditional problem of evil many evils are held to be "necessary" evils not "gratuitous evils" and thus not "genuine evil". The argument is often made that what seems to be "evil" to us actually is necessary to achieve a greater good in the future or in the world. From our limited human perspective what seems like "evil" is a necessity for the greater good. This is essentially the Leibniz argument about "the best of all possible worlds".

The general characteristics of evil are loss of harmony, discord, chaos, loss of value the destruction of beauty, the denial of truth or preventing the realization of intrinsic goodness. Evil could be judged in comparison to what might have been (no Auschwitz, no Nagasaki). Evil is exhibited in physical suffering, mental suffering and loss of the higher experience (value) for the lower experience. Evil is generally divided into "moral evil" that due to the misuse of reason and free will and "natural evil" that due to the processes of nature and natural events.

Evil is generally a religious term and has a religious connotation. The subject of "evil" comes up in discussions of divine power and divine goodness. The experience or perception of evil is a major cause of disbelief and loss of faith and deserves an adequate religious and philosophical response.

I do not see any escaping the notion of "evil" as being an aesthetic judgment about harmony, beauty, intensity and experience and a relative judgment about what is or was versus what could have or should have been.
re turner jr

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 04:33 pm
@prothero,
prothero;107002 wrote:
I am afraid evil is really a value judgment: an aesthetic notion and not an objective reality.

In the absence of some notion of the divine and some notion of transcendent values it is virtually impossible to establish agreed upon criteria for evil and even then it is difficult.

In general I would say evil is any occurrence or action without which the world would have been better off in the long run.

You have stated well an answer to my previous question
"on what basis do we distinguish between what is good and what is evil?"
In short, individual relativism.

I have only one question about your general statement on what evil is.
You said, "In general I would say evil is any occurrence or action without which the world would have been better off in the long run."
Who is to decide what the 'better off in the long run' is, since that is a statement of value (good/evil). Is this also to be left up to the individual?
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 06:42 pm
@prothero,
prothero;107002 wrote:

Evils are pain and suffering, namely bad things. Aren't they? That is pretty objective. I think that everyone will agree about that.
re turner jr

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 07:56 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;107143 wrote:
Evils are pain and suffering, namely bad things. Aren't they? That is pretty objective. I think that everyone will agree about that.

No, it isn't objective. What is painful for me might not be painful for you.

and to further complicate matters we can throw in a sadist. Now for the sadist pain is good, right? This brings me back to my previous question.
Who says that pain is bad. Humanity might be screwed up on this notion of pain being 'bad'. Of course if there is no objective point of reference then pain being good for the sadist and pleasure being good for the 'normal' man is fine. Then the question becomes 'when the two contradicting ideas of good come in to competition which should be given preference? Does might make right? or is there something higher to appeal to make a case?
prothero

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 07:58 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;107143 wrote:
I think you might want to add "unnecesary pain and suffering" or "involuntary pain and suffering". Lots of people voluntarily undergoe pain and suffering, necessary surgery, chemotherapy or even athletes and other artists seeking to be the ultimate in their chosen area. It is not so simple as just "pain and suffering" I maintain my postion that there is always a value judgement involved in "evil". ?