English Language Reforms

Aedes

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 02:46 pm
@Emil,
I'm sort of a conservative as well when it comes to language reforms. On the other hand, for whatever historical reason, you write "colour" and I write "color" and it doesn't really matter in the end if they're both regarded as acceptable. There needs to be some sort of rule system. Otherwise how can you ever run a spelling bee?
xris

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 03:03 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;108417 wrote:
I'm sort of a conservative as well when it comes to language reforms. On the other hand, for whatever historical reason, you write "colour" and I write "color" and it doesn't really matter in the end if they're both regarded as acceptable. There needs to be some sort of rule system. Otherwise how can you ever run a spelling bee?
I object to the piece meal changes without consideration. It does not consider the consequences, flour , flower are not chosen because the consequences are blatant. So why select silly examples of a complex language that has had centuries of subtle development. Any fool can change a word by phonetic reasoning, it takes learned souls, more than I, to examine a language and realise its consequences.
0 Replies

soz phil

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 07:38 am
@Aedes,
Nicely stated, Aenas, I agree.
0 Replies

Emil

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 07:45 am
@Aedes,
Aedes;108417 wrote:

But obviously "color" is the better way to spell it. It is shorter, which allows for faster communication and it is closer to the sound of the word than "colour" is.

Cut Spelling, the spelling (and nothing else) reform proposal that I know the best, is really just removing letters that are redundant for pronunciation such as the "u" in "colour" (CS "colr"), the "u" and "h" in "psychology" (CS "sycoloji") etc.
kennethamy

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 07:52 am
@Emil,
Emil;108797 wrote:
But obviously "color" is the better way to spell it. It is shorter, which allows for faster communication and it is closer to the sound of the word than "colour" is.

Cut Spelling, the spelling (and nothing else) reform proposal that I know the best, is really just removing letters that are redundant for pronunciation such as the "u" in "colour" (CS "colr"), the "u" and "h" in "psychology" (CS "sycoloji") etc.

And now that reason has examined the question, what is chosen lies with the passions. That's what Hume said.
Emil

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 08:22 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;108800 wrote:
And now that reason has examined the question, what is chosen lies with the passions. That's what Hume said.

I know. I read Hume already. (So I did read something old!)
kennethamy

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 08:26 am
@Emil,
Emil;108809 wrote:
I know. I read Hume already. (So I did read something old!)

Yes. I would say, off hand, that your age-criterion for what you should read is not a resounding success. They say that "truth is the daughter of time".
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 11:24 am
@Emil,
Emil;108797 wrote:
It doesn't matter -- do you speak French? Do you have any idea how many written characters go unpronounced? Travaillent is pronounced "travai". They seem to be doing ok.
kennethamy

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 11:30 am
@Aedes,
Aedes;108874 wrote:
It doesn't matter -- do you speak French? Do you have any idea how many written characters go unpronounced? Travaillent is pronounced "travai". They seem to be doing ok.

What you write does not seem to be inconsistent with what Emil wrote. It is the sort of thing he advocates changing.
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 11:48 am
@Emil,
I agree it's cumbersome. I don't agree it's worth changing.

For a native speaker it's not cumbersome at all -- it is what it is.

For someone learning the language, it's a different matter. If you know another Romance language, then the current French spelling is extremely easy because the conjugation is basically the same as in Spanish, Italian, etc, and it might be harder to learn if you just "simplified" the words. If you don't know another Romance language, it sure seems cumbersome.

But whom are we trying to help by simplifying words? "Lite" has become somewhat standard; does that mean we'll all have a "rite" hand? Sometimes just letting things take their own course is better than trying to force them.
0 Replies

Emil

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 11:56 am
@Aedes,
Aedes;108874 wrote:

I don't speak french, no. I'm familiar with danish which also has lots of unnecessary letters. Danish, like english, lacks a recent language reform.

That they are doing ok is not a good reason to believe that there english could not be improved by removing unnecessary letters.

---------- Post added 12-07-2009 at 07:00 PM ----------

Aedes;108886 wrote:
I agree it's cumbersome. I don't agree it's worth changing.

For a native speaker it's not cumbersome at all -- it is what it is.

For someone learning the language, it's a different matter. If you know another Romance language, then the current French spelling is extremely easy because the conjugation is basically the same as in Spanish, Italian, etc, and it might be harder to learn if you just "simplified" the words. If you don't know another Romance language, it sure seems cumbersome.

And it is cumbersome. That native speakers don't notice it is not a good reason to believe that it is not cumbersome. Indeed the best way, it seems to me, to learn the cumbersomeness of our native language is to study a different language. I've learned a lot about danish by learning german. That is an interesting fact.

Aedes;108886 wrote:
But whom are we trying to help by simplifying words? "Lite" has become somewhat standard; does that mean we'll all have a "rite" hand?

Everyone. The alphabetic principle especially helps non-natives. Many people are presumably an-alphabetic because of poor language.

Aedes;108886 wrote:
Sometimes just letting things take their own course is better than trying to force them.

Maybe, but irrelevant until it has been shown that it is the case with language. It has merely been stated, repeated and re-mentioned in this thread. I doubt (notice this word, how is someone supposed to know that the B is mute?) that any arguments are coming forth for this anytime soon. People are reluctant to argue but simply state their disagreement. It is like discussing politics.
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 08:49 pm
@Emil,
Ok Emil, so instead of codifying changes that happen naturally and rise up from common speech, would you rather convene a linguistic oligarchy to hand us all new rules?

How's that metric system coming on here in the States, by the way? That's a FAR simpler system than the English system we use, it's logical, it's intuitive, it's predictable -- and yet it just has never caught on. This would be infinitely harder if people just slashed and diced English into "thru" instead of "through".
Emil

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 03:55 am
@Aedes,
Aedes;109046 wrote:
Ok Emil, so instead of codifying changes that happen naturally and rise up from common speech, would you rather convene a linguistic oligarchy to hand us all new rules?

What does this mean?

Aedes;109046 wrote:
How's that metric system coming on here in the States, by the way? That's a FAR simpler system than the English system we use, it's logical, it's intuitive, it's predictable -- and yet it just has never caught on. This would be infinitely harder if people just slashed and diced English into "thru" instead of "through".

I don't know how it is coming. What is your point?
xris

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 07:45 am
@Emil,
Emil we have constantly given you valid reasons why we don't think its a good idea. You have failed to convince anyone. Why do you constantly say we give opinions rather than arguments? If it was rhetoric you would have no need to reply.
0 Replies

salima

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 07:34 am
@Emil,
i learned hindi and it is totally a phonetic language but that doesnt stop native people from making mistakes in grammar. also i notice that the order in which they repeat their alphabet does not match the order words are written in the dictionary. the funniest thing of all is that i havent yet met anyone here who actually knows the order of words in the dictionary, they just look around randonly trying to find a word in it.

so about the only reason for there to be a rule for spelling is to list things alphabetically as far as i can see. otherwise, it hardly matters how a person spells a word as long as we can understand what they mean. certainly people misspell words, but i have not found that a problem in knowing which word they were using.

now if changing spelling means we have to rewrite all the dictionaries, and change all the computer software for spellcheck etc, and probably other things i have yet to think of, is it really worth it? (i dont know the answer to that by the way)

i think the problem seems to be for people who are able to spell properly who find it annoying that other people make mistakes. maybe a little more tolerance would help?
0 Replies