English Language Reforms

kennethamy

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 09:07 am
@Emil,
Emil;108319 wrote:
Sebra. To me they sound almost the same. Is it really worth the trouble to keep a letter around for this niche, bit deviant s sound? If anything, we should better use the symbols we have and freeing up one would help that.

Yes. But you are not a native speaker. And if someone pronounced 'z's' as 's's" I would immediately know that they were not native speakers of English. The 'z' sound is voiced. But the 's' sound is not voiced. The difference is obvious to the native English-speaker. In fact, in the films, or on TV, actors who portray non-native speakers of English do just that. You don't hear the difference, of course. Just as Japanese speakers do not hear the difference between 'L' and 'R" as initial sounds, and so mispronounce many English words beginning with 'R'. For example, they say, "lice", rather than, "rice". Now if you are an advocate of phonetic spelling, why would you want the 'z' sound represented by the letter, 's'? That seems to me inconsistent.
Emil

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 09:18 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;108333 wrote:
Yes. But you are not a native speaker. And if someone pronounced 'z's' as 's's" I would immediately know that they were not native speakers of English. The 'z' sound is voiced. But the 's' sound is not voiced. The difference is obvious to the native English-speaker. In fact, in the films, or on TV, actors who portray non-native speakers of English do just that. You don't hear the difference, of course. Just as Japanese speakers do not hear the difference between 'L' and 'R" as initial sounds, and so mispronounce many English words beginning with 'R'. For example, they say, "lice", rather than, "rice". Now if you are an advocate of phonetic spelling, why would you want the 'z' sound represented by the letter, 's'? That seems to me inconsistent.

Fair enough. I drop the point. It was only a suggestion or idea anyway.
0 Replies

xris

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 09:22 am
@kennethamy,
It only proves the concept is a mine field of disagreement and conflict. For me even the word colour becoming color is a source of annoyance.
kennethamy

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 09:25 am
@xris,
xris;108344 wrote:
It only proves the concept is a mine field of disagreement and conflict. For me even the word colour becoming color is a source of annoyance.

Yes, simplification, and standarization, is not everything.
soz phil

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 09:27 am
@xris,
....and the preceding stretch of conversation is part of why I think it would be prohibitively difficult to reform the English language in a meaningful way.

Of the people who agree that there are problems, there are many different perspectives on WHAT, exactly, the problems are. So that would be hurdle one -- coming to some sort of an agreement on what should be changed.

I personally think the whole thing would collapse about there, with much bitterness and recrimination.

But say it goes further. There is an "authority" created... by whom... the president? (I can see the headlines now; "Obama Dictates New Language Standards: Steele Invokes George Orwell"). Right there are many more chances for implosion, as no authority that carries any weight wants to bother with this. Too little positives, a whole slew of politically dangerous negatives.

OK, but say for the sake of argument that the standards are agreed upon and the authority is created. Fine. The authority tells schools, "teach your children that there are no 'z's in the English language" (or whatever). Some teachers say um ok if you say so. Some say are you insane??? Of course I won't. That's ridiculous.

What happens to them? They lose their jobs? Not gonna go over well.

No penalty? They'll just ignore it.

Prohibitively difficult.
xris

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 09:35 am
@kennethamy,
Every time i see center on a building instead of centre it really annoys me. I know it sounds pathetic but i keep asking who decided to change my language and then rub my nose in it. I dont blame Americans but the administrations who allow these signs to be erected. For me its spelt wrongly and should be treated with derision. My English is terrible but I believe, I still have the right to defend it against foreign invasion.
Emil

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 09:36 am
@soz phil,
soz;108350 wrote:
....and the preceding stretch of conversation is part of why I think it would be prohibitively difficult to reform the English language in a meaningful way.

Of the people who agree that there are problems, there are many different perspectives on WHAT, exactly, the problems are. So that would be hurdle one -- coming to some sort of an agreement on what should be changed.

I personally think the whole thing would collapse about there, with much bitterness and recrimination.

But say it goes further. There is an "authority" created... by whom... the president? (I can see the headlines now; "Obama Dictates New Language Standards: Steele Invokes George Orwell"). Right there are many more chances for implosion, as no authority that carries any weight wants to bother with this. Too little positives, a whole slew of politically dangerous negatives.

OK, but say for the sake of argument that the standards are agreed upon and the authority is created. Fine. The authority tells schools, "teach your children that there are no 'z's in the English language" (or whatever). Some teachers say um ok if you say so. Some say are you insane??? Of course I won't. That's ridiculous.

What happens to them? They lose their jobs? Not gonna go over well.

No penalty? They'll just ignore it.

Prohibitively difficult.

You're making it sound more difficult than it is. The fact that it has been done many times prove that it ain't that difficult. Perhaps you should read the first chapter of the Cut Spelling handbook, here. It discusses some issues with implementation etc.

You're focusing on the US too. Everything is prohibitively difficult politically speaking in the US.

---------- Post added 12-05-2009 at 04:38 PM ----------

xris;108353 wrote:
Every time i see center on a building instead of centre it really annoys me. I know it sounds pathetic but i keep asking who decided to change my language and then rub my nose in it. I dont blame Americans but the administrations who allow these signs to be erected. For me its spelt wrongly and should be treated with derision. My English is terrible but I believe, I still have the right to defend it against foreign invasion.

Feelings seem to be the only thing you can write of in this thread. No arguments. No rationality. I feel this, I feel that. It is a discussion board and discussions involve arguments. Get on with it.
soz phil

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 09:39 am
@Emil,
Well, my original comment singled out "in America" -- I completely agree it would be more difficult here -- and also "now." I think there are times when it would have been easier.
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 09:54 am
@xris,
xris;108353 wrote:
My English is terrible but I believe, I still have the right to defend it against foreign invasion.
Tell that to William the Conqueror.

You'd have to go back to protolanguages, like proto-Indoeuropean (a progenitor of Latin, proto-Slavic, proto-Germanic, and even Hindi) to find a language with limited influence from outside.

I'm learning Hungarian now, which is my dad's language. It is not particularly difficult except insofar as it's totally and completely unfamiliar. You have to conjugate nouns in Hungarian. There is a definite and an indefinite verb conjugation (I pick up A rock is a different conjugation of "pick" than I pick up THE rock). As shielded as this Uralic language is from ANYTHING else in Europe (other than Finnish, Estonian, and Saami), it has some English, some French, some Slavic, and some Turkish words.
Emil

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 10:02 am
@Aedes,
Aedes;108360 wrote:
Tell that to William the Conqueror.

You'd have to go back to protolanguages, like proto-Indoeuropean (a progenitor of Latin, proto-Slavic, proto-Germanic, and even Hindi) to find a language with limited influence from outside.

I'm learning Hungarian now, which is my dad's language. It is not particularly difficult except insofar as it's totally and completely unfamiliar. You have to conjugate nouns in Hungarian. There is a definite and an indefinite verb conjugation (I pick up A rock is a different conjugation of "pick" than I pick up THE rock). As shielded as this Uralic language is from ANYTHING else in Europe (other than Finnish, Estonian, and Saami), it has some English, some French, some Slavic, and some Turkish words.

This idea of protecting a language from foreign invasion is a nationalistic nonsense. In Denmark the nationalist party leader suggested removing all loan words from danish. Sigh. Even more the idea of shielding english, english of all languages! It has a very, very turbulent history. Full of foreign influence. There are lots of danish/nordic-ish and french-ish words in english.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 10:12 am
@Emil,
Emil;108354 wrote:

You're focusing on the US too. Everything is prohibitively difficult politically speaking in the US.

Like????...............
Emil

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 10:18 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;108366 wrote:
Like????...............

For you, I'll cite the global warming conflict.
kennethamy

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 10:29 am
@Emil,
Emil;108368 wrote:
For you, I'll cite the global warming conflict.

But opposition to a program does not indicate difficulty for difficulty's sake. It indicates that there are people in the United States (like me) who resist being snowed. You could also mention the health-care debate. There are different views, and this is a democracy.

Gallup finds "a record-high 41%" of Americans now say the "seriousness of global warming" is exaggerated.
Pangloss

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 12:26 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;108370 wrote:

Gallup finds "a record-high 41%" of Americans now say the "seriousness of global warming" is exaggerated.

And around 1/3 of them were probably the same 12% gallup found who believed Obama was a Muslim. :bigsmile: Surely you can do better than an argumentum ad populum.
kennethamy

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 12:37 pm
@Pangloss,
Pangloss;108390 wrote:
And around 1/3 of them were probably the same 12% gallup found who believed Obama was a Muslim. :bigsmile: Surely you can do better than an argumentum ad populum.

This wasn't an argumentum ad populum. The question was why can't doesn't the United States join other nations is climate change legislation, and the answer is that this is a democracy, and there is considerable opposition.This was no argument against (or for) such legislation. It was a reply to why there is no such legislation.
Pangloss

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 01:24 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;108391 wrote:
This was no argument against (or for) such legislation. It was a reply to why there is no such legislation.

So then you are just stating the obvious. OK. :a-ok:
kennethamy

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 01:34 pm
@Pangloss,
Pangloss;108395 wrote:
So then you are just stating the obvious. OK. :a-ok:

I was answering a question. The answer, unless you knew the poll numbers, wasn't obvious. Sorry I committed no fallacy. A more considered reading would have told you that. Next time, maybe.
0 Replies

xris

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 02:06 pm
@Emil,
Emil;108354 wrote:
You're making it sound more difficult than it is. The fact that it has been done many times prove that it ain't that difficult. Perhaps you should read the first chapter of the Cut Spelling handbook, here. It discusses some issues with implementation etc.

Feelings seem to be the only thing you can write of in this thread. No arguments. No rationality. I feel this, I feel that. It is a discussion board and discussions involve arguments. Get on with it.
The us does not decide on the English language changes.

When have i mentioned feelings. You have proved my opposition to change over and over again. You cant even imagine the problem of substituting a z with an s , so how can you have anything of importance to add to this debate. Its you that have given silly examples with no value other than your base requirements. The world may find it the most convenient language but its the English that decides its future. Your arguments are common and insignificant not worthy of consideration.
Aedes

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 02:17 pm
@xris,
xris;108404 wrote:
The world may find it the most convenient language but its the English that decides its future.
Considering that English is the national language of numerous African countries, a national language in India, not to mention the primary language in the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, etc, the English will NOT be the ones to decide its future. It is originally English, but languages evolve in a way very similar to how genes evolve. No one gets to decide. American English is by far the most dominant strain in the world media, and it itself becomes progressively more influenced by Spanish as time goes on, so I don't see how the English will decide anything about it. No one decides. It happens.
xris

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 02:37 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;108406 wrote:
Considering that English is the national language of numerous African countries, a national language in India, not to mention the primary language in the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, etc, the English will NOT be the ones to decide its future. It is originally English, but languages evolve in a way very similar to how genes evolve. No one gets to decide. American English is by far the most dominant strain in the world media, and it itself becomes progressively more influenced by Spanish as time goes on, so I don't see how the English will decide anything about it. No one decides. It happens.
I never maintained the English, per se, would decide its future. The English speaking will forever change it by natural progression. I am against the enforced changes by a contrived board of linguists. Those who oversee the concise English dictionary take into account all the natural changes without prejudice. Its my right to stand up for my language and any silly alterations that may be recommended. It wont stagnate but neither will it become a pigeon English for those who dont understand its intricacies.
0 Replies