English Language Reforms

Emil

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 04:17 am
Does (unnecessary verbal conjugation) english need a reform?

Try taking this test for instance. How well do you perform? I got 12 (of 16).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,705 • Replies: 94
No top replies

xris

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 04:38 am
@Emil,
mI rcap ta enlgihs tub uoy aveh to darw hte lnie somhwere.
jgweed

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 10:36 am
@Emil,
16 out of 16 words were incorrectly spelled.

Rather than reform English over and over again, why not just put emphasis on correct spelling ("oh dear," someone whines, "now I have to MEMORISE stuff") and teach people to spell correctly (and perhaps how to use a dictionary and thesaurus properly).

One wonders if we aggressively change spelling over say, 30 years, that much of great value in English literature will be so taxing to their minds that they will abandon reading Macaulay or Mill or Dickens or Carlyle or Tennyson (to confine my list to some eminent Victorian authors)? At the very least, they would have to learn TWO spellings of many words.
0 Replies

Pangloss

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 10:42 am
@Emil,
Well, I just got one wrong on that test, but I blazed through it quickly, and made an easy error. Still, that's 3 better than the 'post-graduate teacher trainees' they tested, which is pathetic. For a native english speaking college grad, there's no reason to miss any of those words...the spellings may be redundant, or not entirely 'necessary' in some minds, but they are encountered in readings quite often. These should be words that are all well-known by the time one finishes high school.

This would be a reform that seems to be based on the idea that we need to dumb down the standards in this country. We don't need language reform, we need education reform, in my opinion; more reading, and less video games/TV/facebook.

Of course, now we have spell check to correct us all when necessary, but we can't always be at a computer. Some of the spelling errors and grammar errors I have seen made by college-educated 'professionals' and higher-level students are just shocking.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 10:43 am
@Emil,
Emil;106833 wrote:

I disagree with you. But you will like this:

http://www.nuspel.org/phonics1c.htm
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 01:52 pm
@Emil,
Emil;106833 wrote:

I got all 16 right, but I'm sort of anal about spelling.

I drive medical students and residents crazy because I hate them using so much medical shorthand that their documentation looks like a text message. "60 yo w/m w PMH CHF, DMII, HBV, ESRD p/w CP + SOB x 48h". It just looks unprofessional.
0 Replies

Emil

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 06:22 pm
@xris,
xris;106836 wrote:
mI rcap ta enlgihs tub uoy aveh to darw hte lnie somhwere.

Changing the order of the letters make it very hard to read.

---------- Post added 11-30-2009 at 01:31 AM ----------

jgweed;106866 wrote:
16 out of 16 words were incorrectly spelled.

Rather than reform English over and over again, why not just put emphasis on correct spelling ("oh dear," someone whines, "now I have to MEMORISE stuff") and teach people to spell correctly (and perhaps how to use a dictionary and thesaurus properly).

One wonders if we aggressively change spelling over say, 30 years, that much of great value in English literature will be so taxing to their minds that they will abandon reading Macaulay or Mill or Dickens or Carlyle or Tennyson (to confine my list to some eminent Victorian authors)? At the very least, they would have to learn TWO spellings of many words.

Over and over again? There haven't been one in a long time AFAIK. Do you know?

Language's primary function is communication. What is currently correct spelling is not important to that goal. Many forms of formally incorrect english are just as good for communication as formal english.

The main problem with english (and danish) is this: The spellings are hard to learn because they are highly irregular. It makes the language harder to learn, both to spell and to pronounce. German is much easier to both spell and pronounce because it lacks the same level of irregularities. (It has an awful grammar system instead though.) There is no need for this. In fact it is counter-productive to the primary function of language: Communication. It is possible to change the spellings over time.

Question: Should we do it?

My answer: Yes.

---

You're talking about our (your) cultural inheritance. Is it that important? Probably old english (that is, english now seen from 30 years into the future assuming we begin to reform english now), will still be easily readable, just as most of these reform proposals are easily readable to people we can current old english. Some of the reform proposals come in multiple steps. One cannot change it too much at a time.

As time passes new cultural objects will be made and the importance of the
old cultural objects will lessen.

And it is possible to simply update the spellings of old literature. In fact we do this already for much literature.

---------- Post added 11-30-2009 at 01:32 AM ----------

Aedes;106903 wrote:
I got all 16 right, but I'm sort of anal about spelling.

I drive medical students and residents crazy because I hate them using so much medical shorthand that their documentation looks like a text message. "60 yo w/m w PMH CHF, DMII, HBV, ESRD p/w CP + SOB x 48h". It just looks unprofessional.

If it works, then why is it unprofessional? Why not embrace their new words? They seem to be better than yours, since they allow for faster communication. Even though it may be a little more context dependent.

---------- Post added 11-30-2009 at 01:35 AM ----------

kennethamy;106871 wrote:
I disagree with you. But you will like this:

http://www.nuspel.org/phonics1c.htm

Link is dead. Link is dead.

---------- Post added 11-30-2009 at 01:41 AM ----------

Pangloss;106869 wrote:
Well, I just got one wrong on that test, but I blazed through it quickly, and made an easy error. Still, that's 3 better than the 'post-graduate teacher trainees' they tested, which is pathetic. For a native english speaking college grad, there's no reason to miss any of those words...the spellings may be redundant, or not entirely 'necessary' in some minds, but they are encountered in readings quite often. These should be words that are all well-known by the time one finishes high school.

Your expectations are insane compared to the reality of high schools in the US. Just saying. The US. education system is awful.

What about foreigners (notice the spelling of that word)? English is a world language. Tons of people that are non-natives learn it, yet they rarely become very good at it because it is so hard to learn. And there really is no point in it being so hard to learn.

Pangloss;106869 wrote:
This would be a reform that seems to be based on the idea that we need to dumb down the standards in this country. We don't need language reform, we need education reform, in my opinion; more reading, and less video games/TV/facebook.

Not really. They are not based on "dumbing down standards". They are based on "dumbing down" language. Why does it have to be so hard to learn it? What is the point? There is no point. That's the point! Wink

Of course, if people would use more time on learning, the problem would be less severe, but people won't and I see no way to change that fact. Light entertainment is how it is. This fact is irrelevant to the question of whether english should be reformed or not.

That said, I never watch television. I don't own a television.
xris

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 04:14 am
@Emil,
English is a mongrel of a beast and its construction defines our history as much as our need to communicate. It must evolve but not be sacrificed to the needs of the few. I need colour not color, it gives me fervour of a fever. No, seriously, leave it be and let evolution be its guide.
Emil

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 05:57 am
@xris,
xris;107026 wrote:
English is a mongrel of a beast and its construction defines our history as much as our need to communicate. It must evolve but not be sacrificed to the needs of the few. I need colour not color, it gives me fervour of a fever. No, seriously, leave it be and let evolution be its guide.

Arguments, hello? Where are you hiding? I can't find you! Sad
xris

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 06:24 am
@Emil,
Emil;107032 wrote:
Arguments, hello? Where are you hiding? I can't find you! Sad
I'm hiding in the language. What do want me to say? Its our language and mind your own business? Try telling a french man his language is outdated.. :perplexed:
Emil

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 07:55 am
@xris,
xris;107035 wrote:
I'm hiding in the language. What do want me to say? Its our language and mind your own business? Try telling a french man his language is outdated.. :perplexed:

Haven't seen an argument yet. I wonder if there really are any in your posts. Maybe in future posts...
kennethamy

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 08:01 am
@Emil,
Our Antiquated, Obsolete Spelling Ridiculed by George Bernard Shaw

For Emil (and anyone else).
0 Replies

xris

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 08:03 am
@Emil,
Emil;107054 wrote:
Haven't seen an argument yet. I wonder if there really are any in your posts. Maybe in future posts...
Dont need to, just an aversion to silly requests. Language comes from evolution not invention. If you try altering an evolutionary process it becomes a monster a deviant ,invalid. Esperanto is the consequence of invention and its example is my argument. Everything and nothing.
kennethamy

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 08:10 am
@xris,
xris;107056 wrote:
Dont need to, just an aversion to silly requests. Language comes from evolution not invention. If you try altering an evolutionary process it becomes a monster a deviant ,invalid. Esperanto is the consequence of invention and its example is my argument. Everything and nothing.

Yes. This sort of thing never works. The nearest to it is the French Academy whose job it is to prevent anglicisms from polluting the French language. But the French still call the weekend, "le week-end" despite all the efforts of the French Academy to get them to call it, "le fin de semaine".
Zetherin

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 08:25 am
@xris,
xris;107056 wrote:

You've aware that humans reform on a rather consistent basis, right? We've been doing so since our infancy. We've been reforming government, academic institution, law, healthcare, food distribution and consumption, economy & trade, etc. for centuries. Hell, Americans have reformed their constitution alone over a dozen times already!

Language has nothing to do with evolution, and it pains me for you to think this. It is a system that needs fine tuning, like many things. Why we would refrain from making the system better simply because of some archaic and sentimental desire to preserve original spelling is beyond me.

kennethamy wrote:

Yes. This sort of thing never works. The nearest to it is the French Academy whose job it is to prevent anglicisms from polluting the French language. But the French still call the weekend, "le week-end" despite all the efforts of the French Academy to get them to call it, "le fin de semaine".

I disagree. I think if people saw how beneficial it would be to simplify and make consistent our language, there would be people who would opt to support this. It would just be practical to do so.

Keep in mind most people are idiots and are already spelling words incorrectly, usually in simplified fashions (what it "sounds like"), so this task won't even be that difficult! Stupidity is already indirectly supporting this reform! Wink
kennethamy

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 09:05 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;107059 wrote:

Language has nothing to do with evolution, and it pains me for you to think this.

Language Evolution (Studies in the Evolution of Language) (Paperback)

~ Morten H. Christiansen (Editor), Simon Kirby (Editor)
Zetherin

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 09:15 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;107061 wrote:
Language Evolution (Studies in the Evolution of Language) (Paperback)

~ Morten H. Christiansen (Editor), Simon Kirby (Editor)

Sorry, I was attempting to contrast biological evolution and the disputes within the scientific community regarding genetic manipulation (it seemed as though he was stating we would create a "monster" in much the same way people whine about manipulating the DNA of organisms). You could say many things are evolving if you use the term loosely. To say language evolves is to say that convention changes. And that, of course, is correct. But that isn't what I was referring to. It seemed as though xris feared changing language in much the same way one would fear genetically modifying a lifeform, and I didn't understand this.

(But thank you for pointing this out: I should have rephrased, or just left that sentence out altogether. I was very unclear.)

Central questions here: What does it mean for a language to evolve naturally? Is it not natural for us to revise the system in order to communicate more effectively? At what point do we begin calling a natural language a constructed language? Lastly, why does it matter if it's constructed or not?

As an aside, I'd be interested in seeing your response to the rest of what I wrote.
Emil

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 09:51 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;107057 wrote:

Never works, hmm? Care to argue that? I don't believe you. Obviously, it does not work under all conditions.

I love esperanto. That language is actually doing pretty good. Consider that both Hitler and Stalin tried to get rid of it (the author/creator was a jew).

Wikipedia comes in esperanto too. The danish Wiki and the esperantoian (What is the adjective? This is a fine demonstration for the need of a general and universally applicable mechanism to create adjectives. Esperanto has just that.) have about the same number of articles, yet there are many more people that speak/write danish than esperanto. The language is far from dead.

---------- Post added 11-30-2009 at 05:02 PM ----------

Zetherin;107059 wrote:
You've aware that humans reform on a rather consistent basis, right? We've been doing so since our infancy. We've been reforming government, academic institution, law, healthcare, food distribution and consumption, economy & trade, etc. for centuries. Hell, Americans have reformed their constitution alone over a dozen times already!

Language has nothing to do with evolution, and it pains me for you to think this. It is a system that needs fine tuning, like many things. Why we would refrain from making the system better simply because of some archaic and sentimental desire to preserve original spelling is beyond me.

I disagree. I think if people saw how beneficial it would be to simplify and make consistent our language, there would be people who would opt to support this. It would just be practical to do so.

Keep in mind most people are idiots and are already spelling words incorrectly, usually in simplified fashions (what it "sounds like"), so this task won't even be that difficult! Stupidity is already indirectly supporting this reform! Wink

Words being written as close to how they sound like is how it should be. Is that "lowering the standards"? (Whatever that means.) If yes, then who cares? It's beneficial nonetheless.

Moral support. <3
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 10:05 am
@Emil,
Emil wrote:

Is that "lowering the standards"? (Whatever that means.) If yes, then who cares? It's beneficial nonetheless.

I'd be interested to see how one would demonstrate how streamlining language to facilitate effective communication is lowering standards. If anything, I would think that it would be raising standards, revising these muddy spellings in order to increase practical value.
0 Replies

Emil

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 10:05 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;107062 wrote:
Sorry, I was attempting to contrast biological evolution and the disputes within the scientific community regarding genetic manipulation (it seemed as though he was stating we would create a "monster" in much the same way people whine about manipulating the DNA of organisms). You could say many things are evolving if you use the term loosely. To say language evolves is to say that convention changes. And that, of course, is correct. But that isn't what I was referring to. It seemed as though xris feared changing language in much the same way one would fear genetically modifying a lifeform, and I didn't understand this.

(But thank you for pointing this out: I should have rephrased, or just left that sentence out altogether. I was very unclear.)

Central questions here: What does it mean for a language to evolve naturally? Is it not natural for us to revise the system in order to communicate more effectively? At what point do we begin calling a natural language a constructed language? Lastly, why does it matter if it's constructed or not?

As an aside, I'd be interested in seeing your response to the rest of what I wrote.

This problem with what "natural" is supposed to mean is why I avoid the phrase "natural language" and use "normal language" instead though the meanings are slightly different.

One could change the personal pronoun's rule of having to be written with a capital "I". Is there any reason for that? And please do away with verbal conjugation. There is no verbal conjugation in danish and there are no problems with that AFAIK.

---------- Post added 11-30-2009 at 05:07 PM ----------

Zetherin;107067 wrote:
I'd be interested to see how one would demonstrate how streamlining language to facilitate effective communication is lowering standards.

I have no idea. Usually the objection is only voiced, not argued. As above. People may even refuse to argue their case! (Again, as above.)
0 Replies