English Language Reforms

Zetherin

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 12:44 pm
@Robert phil,
Robert;108150 wrote:
Lanugage reform has extensive precedent, so we at least can in theory.

Take a look at Emil's post, #26.

soz wrote:

Languages change organically. I don't think we can or should purposely change English because of some perceived lack. It has been evolving and will continue to evolve.

What do you mean language changes organically? Do you just mean it's ever-changing? If so, I agree, but why just because it is perpetually evolving should we not purposely change anything?
xris

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 01:17 pm
@Zetherin,
I think we should be honest and say there is distinct difference between the American desire and the English determination. Whose damned language is it for god sake? I'm getting a bit hissed of with these demands.

Whose going to form this academic board of linguistic examination? What criteria should we abide by? the new worlds desire to bring it down to the lowest denominator? gr8 4 uhoo r twittering ....

An impossible task, fraught with mischief and rebellion. You stole our colony , you wont get away with bastardizing our language.
0 Replies

soz phil

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 01:42 pm
@Zetherin,
I mean it is constantly changing, yes, and also that the changes usually happen in a bottom-up rather than top-down fashion -- fringe slang becomes mainstream, a word is misspelled so consistently for so long that the new spelling becomes the accepted spelling, etc.

I believe that in theory language can be reformed but it seems prohibitively difficult, especially now, and especially in a fiercely individualistic culture like America.
xris

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 01:53 pm
@soz phil,
The English language is constantly changing and it can absorb most colloquial alterations but dogmatic demands act counter to its attraction as a literature based medium. You cant force change, only encourage modification. I would love for shakespearean English to be in vogue, it has romance in the simplest of requests. "how goeth the night kind sir" so much better than "wots the time ubby".
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 02:04 pm
@xris,
Language naturally evolves yet standardization doesn't. Language being a natural human function as spoken and language being an artifical construct as written/standardized. Any effective real reform would have to be reformed to update it more closely with modern spoken English. It will also normally include things considered ungrammatical, like more better, and funner. The reason why these are "ungrammatical" is not that they don't have a grammatical function, it is because a standardizing authority and the consequent status ethos created by it, says that they are ungrammatical. There are a multitude of socio-political quagmires involving standardization that can be distilled into thee A's Accuracy, Acceptance, and Aesthetics. A feasable standardization must balance these things in a way that can be implemented for a speech community, again English being a World language makes it just thast much 'difficulter'.
0 Replies

Robert phil

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 02:04 pm
@soz phil,
soz;108167 wrote:
I believe that in theory language can be reformed but it seems prohibitively difficult, especially now, and especially in a fiercely individualistic culture like America.

English is a tough language to change top-down, mainly because there is no top (some other languages have recognized authorities) and because it's so widely used.
0 Replies

Emil

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 05:52 pm
@soz phil,
soz;108135 wrote:
Languages change organically. I don't think we can or should purposely change English because of some perceived lack. It has been evolving and will continue to evolve.

Nothing interesting or relevant follows from this.

And what is it with these biological metaphors (should be "metafors")?

---------- Post added 12-05-2009 at 12:53 AM ----------

soz;108167 wrote:
I mean it is constantly changing, yes, and also that the changes usually happen in a bottom-up rather than top-down fashion -- fringe slang becomes mainstream, a word is misspelled so consistently for so long that the new spelling becomes the accepted spelling, etc.

What makes you think that it is "prohibitively difficult"?

---------- Post added 12-05-2009 at 12:55 AM ----------

Robert;108171 wrote:
English is a tough language to change top-down, mainly because there is no top (some other languages have recognized authorities) and because it's so widely used.

One could just create a such authority if needed.

---------- Post added 12-05-2009 at 02:03 AM ----------

kennethamy;108122 wrote:
I don't know what a "terrible language" is, or how that is measured. Expecially in the abstract. English is not a "terrible language" for saying in it what you want to say. Nor is it as complicated as is Latin, or Ancient Greek, or German (all those declensions!). And its nouns do not have gender, which drives me crazy when I (try) to speak or write French or German. (Why "das Maedchen"? Why is "girl" neuter?). Unphonetic spelling alone does not make a language terrible.See:

"The Awful German Language" by Mark Twain
es". There is no verbal conjugation in danish at all. That's one of the few good things I have to say about my own native language.

Then there is the thing with apostrophes... etc.
kennethamy

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 11:50 pm
@Emil,
Emil;108208 wrote:

Surely you know what "terribly language" means, even if it is vague. It was meant to be vague.

I really do not, except that the speaker, for some reason, does not like the language. There may be a number of reasons for not liking the language. For example, that German is guttural and harsh sounding. That is obviously not why you have problems. If you read the link, Mark Twain give several reasons why he thinks that German is "awful".
Emil

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 12:48 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;108258 wrote:
I really do not, except that the speaker, for some reason, does not like the language. There may be a number of reasons for not liking the language. For example, that German is guttural and harsh sounding. That is obviously not why you have problems. If you read the link, Mark Twain give several reasons why he thinks that German is "awful".
more a matter of convention is it not? I don't think it sounds harsh. I think it sounds funny. In fact it is quite somewhat common to speak (incorrect) german in Denmark when drunk because it sounds funny.
kennethamy

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 12:59 am
@Emil,
Emil;108265 wrote:

As for the sound, that is more a matter of convention is it not? I don't think it sounds harsh. I think it sounds funny. In fact it is quite somewhat common to speak (incorrect) german in Denmark when drunk because it sounds funny.

Well, if it comes to that, it is all a matter of convention, and also, what you are accustomed to, and have grown up with. To the French and Italian ear, and, perhaps less so, to the English ear, German does sound harsh, largely because it is a guttural language. Scandinavian languages are guttural too (they and German belong to the same sub-family) so that's possibly why German does not sound harsh to your ear.
Emil

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 01:09 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;108268 wrote:
Well, if it comes to that, it is all a matter of convention, and also, what you are accustomed to, and have grown up with. To the French and Italian ear, and, perhaps less so, to the English ear, German does sound harsh, largely because it is a guttural language. Scandinavian languages are guttural too (they and German belong to the same sub-family) so that's possibly why German does not sound harsh to your ear.

OK.

I don't think it is a very large problem that a given language sounds harsh to natives of another language. That's hardly a worthwhile criticism.

I think you should read the first chapter in the Cut Spelling (CS) handbook. It is available here. It lists a number of reasons to implement CS and some implications of doing so etc. 22 pages.

-

As for the Twain essay. I made a nice pdf version here.
kennethamy

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 01:17 am
@Emil,
Emil;108272 wrote:
OK.

I don't think it is a very large problem that a given language sounds harsh to natives of another language. That's hardly a worthwhile criticism.

I think you should read the first chapter in the Cut Spelling (CS) handbook. It is available here. It lists a number of reasons to implement CS and some implications of doing so etc. 22 pages.

I think I wrote earlier that I am not opposed to spelling reforms, which I think may be practical (but trivial). For instance, I think that the British should reform their spelling to conform with American spelling. But, there are other kinds of reforms I would be uncomfortable with. As I wrote earlier, calling a language "terrible" or "awful" is unenlightening except, of course, that it is clear that the speaker doesn't like the language for some reason or other. It might be the way it sounds, or for other reasons.

P.S. What about the capitalization of all nouns as a spelling reform? Mark Twain seems to think that's a splendid idea. But you seem to be for decapitalization everywhere. You would have been at home in France during the Revolution (I mean, "revolution").
Emil

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 01:42 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;108273 wrote:
I think I wrote earlier that I am not opposed to spelling reforms, which I think may be practical (but trivial). For instance, I think that the British should reform their spelling to conform with American spelling. But, there are other kinds of reforms I would be uncomfortable with. As I wrote earlier, calling a language "terrible" or "awful" is unenlightening except, of course, that it is clear that the speaker doesn't like the language for some reason or other. It might be the way it sounds, or for other reasons.

I'm pretty rational and academic. When I call something terrible I don't just mean that I dislike it. I mean something more. A more, what is called, objective judgment. (Notice the cutting of "e" in the last word.)
kennethamy

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 01:46 am
@Emil,
Emil;108277 wrote:
I'm pretty rational and academic. When I call something terrible I don't just mean that I dislike it. I mean something more. A more, what is called, objective judgment. (Notice the cutting of "e" in the last word.)

I am sure you do mean more. Only how can we tell what more you mean? "Judgment" is the American spelling. The other is the British.
Emil

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 01:55 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;108279 wrote:
I am sure you do mean more. Only how can we tell what more you mean? "Judgment" is the American spelling. The other is the British.

You can't tell from that single sentence.

I prefer american spellings. Why would I add redundant letters?
But isn't it american english that has these "-ized" suffixes instead of "-ised"? That's annoying. There is no reason to use a different letter than "s" there. What about doing away with that letter all together. I can't think of a good reason to keep it.
Zetherin

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 02:13 am
@Emil,
kennethamy wrote:
As I wrote earlier, calling a language "terrible" or "awful" is unenlightening except, of course, that it is clear that the speaker doesn't like the language for some reason or other. It might be the way it sounds, or for other reasons.

It may be the way it sounds, but it may be something more important, or practical. Like, that the language is inconsistent, or that it is unreasonably hard to learn, or unreasonably hard to use. Or, the person may have gripes about certain rules. Why would it not be enlightening to evaluate and eventually critique these things in order to improve communication? I don't know why you would immediately assume that when someone says they think a language is terrible it is a preferential thing, like "I dislike vanilla icecream". If someone said an argument was terrible on this forum, would you write it off as something preferential -- they just don't like the way it 'sounds'? I think you would give them the benefit of the doubt that they were speaking about the substance of the argument; perhaps the form, or the justification, or the content. I mean, wouldn't you think this especially in a language reform thread, where, presumably, the finer points of language of being evaluated?

I don't think most people who are gunning for a reform are doing so because they don't like the way "Mississippi" sounds, do you? Although I do find the word annoying when I hear it spoken, why do we need so many s's?

---------- Post added 12-05-2009 at 04:04 AM ----------

Emil;108283 wrote:

But isn't it american english that has these "-ized" suffixes instead of "-ised"? That's annoying. There is no reason to use a different letter than "s" there. What about doing away with that letter all together. I can't think of a good reason to keep it.

Do you mean the letter "s" or the letter "z"?
Emil

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 03:05 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;108284 wrote:
Do you mean the letter "s" or the letter "z"?

The latter letter. Wink "z".
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 07:55 am
@Emil,
Emil;108283 wrote:

Do away with the letter, 'z'? How would you spell, "Zebra"? But we pronounce the word, "santitized" with a "z" sound, not an "s" sound.
Emil

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 08:22 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;108317 wrote:
Do away with the letter, 'z'? How would you spell, "Zebra"? But we pronounce the word, "santitized" with a "z" sound, not an "s" sound.

Sebra. To me they sound almost the same. Is it really worth the trouble to keep a letter around for this niche, bit deviant s sound? If anything, we should better use the symbols we have and freeing up one would help that.
xris

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 08:37 am
@Emil,
Emil;108319 wrote:
Sebra. To me they sound almost the same. Is it really worth the trouble to keep a letter around for this niche, bit deviant s sound? If anything, we should better use the symbols we have and freeing up one would help that.
Sorry but that tells us all we want to know, or is it no...Zebra with an s..ohhh dear. or is that deer..

I will pull up my sip and have a zip of water.