Got your 2004 Calendar yet?

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2003 12:35 pm
Picking out the kitchen calendar is a sacred, annual ritual in our house.
It must have twelve pictures that will inspire throughout the year AND match the colors of the decor.

How about yours? What's hanging on the wall with only one more month to go and what will hang there next year?

Joe
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 8,558 • Replies: 41
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2003 01:12 pm
I don't get a wall calendar. What I buy is one of those desk claendars/ appointment books. For 2004, I bought the Sierra Club vrsion. Pretty pictures!
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2003 01:58 pm
Bichone Fries calendars
I bought my calendar at the pet warehouse. Its a Bichon Fries calendar that looks just like my Maddy when he's all fooed-fooed up, bathed and combed, with a colorful bandana around his neck.

http://www.dogsworld.net/bichonfries.htm

BBB
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2003 03:35 pm
I used to buy theme calendars. . . lord of the rings, garfield, whatever. . . but now I have a palm and this year's Dave Barry has become a wee bit dusty. . .

I do buy desk calendars, however. This year I have a latinisms one, next year's will be FarSide. . .
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2003 04:05 pm
we have a giant one that the daily squares are about 2"x3", the Mrs keeps it working other wise I use Outlook.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2003 04:10 pm
i get mine at work

trucks! big big trucks!
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2003 04:11 pm
I get several calendars each year. I can't afford the masters, so every year I buy the greats, renoir or chagall for the kitchen. Last years I bought a monty python, and a smiley face calendar for the kids and I normally get at least one canadiana art for the bedroom.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2003 05:26 pm
Happy Early New Year. I figure if they can start playing Christmas music on the 2nd of November, I can wish you Happy New Year a couple of weeks later. Okay, now I am going to bore you with the tale of the Calendar Breakfast.

At least, my kids were bored with it for several years.

Each January 1st, at breakfast, the old calendar is taken down and brought to the table. The pages are turned back to the January before and one by one each month is looked at again, event by event. There's the Valentine's party that Ben went too, look at all those MD appointments for the old man, here's when Aunt Ann came to visit and there's the weekend of the soccer tourney (we lost Evil or Very Mad but we finished a strong third :wink: ),
here's the trip to Uncle Fred's and there's the day, the week, the nights that Granddad was so sick before he died, here's when A. started classes, and there's the three shows that L had for her jewelry.

You get it. The year is reviewed, remembered and then put away.
In some houses there is a fireplace where they burn each month after they look at it. We kept ours in a stack in a basket at the top of the closet. (I can tell you if I had a dentist appointment in April 1992.)

Now that the kids are grown and L and I go to Florida for Christmas and New Years, we haven't had a Calendar breakfast for several years. Looking at the calendars at the bookstore this afternoon reminded me of those mornings when we, like Janus, would look back at the past and then again, like Janus, look forward to a bright future as we hung up the new calendar on the wall.

Much love,

Joe
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2003 08:33 pm
I get to pick what ever bleeping calendar I want. One of the joys of being single I guess. Usually I have more than one. One weekly and one or 2 (the second wall calendar being a gift) wall calendars. I tend toward boxers, celestial bodies, and squished faeries.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2003 08:39 pm
I tend to go for briefs Laughing
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2003 08:58 pm
Recently I trust calendars on my computer.
(On a unix system one can see a calendar with the command
"cal 2004.")

BTW for calendar programs (java programs) try visiting my home page.
http://homepage.mac.com/fsato4/
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2003 09:03 pm
Not yet. We usually pick ours up on vacation, and then smuggle it through customs on the way back to Sandland. Last year my wife bought a beautiful calendar of Icons at the Schipol (Amsterdam) airport and managed to get it back In-Kingdom OK. I usually pick up pig calendars, and have only had them confiscated once or twice.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2003 12:16 am
I LOVE calendars!

I have one in my kitchen, with everyone's birthday noted, anniversary, notable events in life, RIP, when something was purchased, etc.

Then, I have a calendar on my desk, under my monitor. Because that's where I spend most of my time at home, and that's where I remember to write specific events, phone numbers, addresses, special happenings, and things to be transferred to the new calendar.

At work I have about 3 calendars around me. One on the wall, one in front of me, one with a 12 month view for my scheduling, etc.

I noticed in Wal-Mart they now have Calendars on every topic/theme you can imagine ... when I want to buy them, there won't be one left on the stands!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2003 07:27 am
I get them free from various places like the grocery store, real estate agent, etc..., but if I were to buy one it would be animals. I just love animals. I have a calendar in my cellphone where I put my appointments and I also just write them down on a piece of paper to put in my purse.
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2003 09:09 am
I just never could keep up a calendar. . . I have about a million on Montana's papers :-) When the techno-geekiness of my palm wears off, it'll be back to postits. . .
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2003 10:35 am
Setanta got me a lovely Sony Clie to use as an agenda last Christmas. I've never made it past putting my name and the date in. I put it aside, the battery dies, and I start over about 6 weeks later. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2003 10:36 am
Haha. . . same thing happened when my mom bought my dad a palm. . . nifty new, shiny thing, never leaves the box. . . SHE uses it now. . .

Check the motives, I always say. . . ;-)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2003 10:37 am
Joe, I love the concept of Calendar Breakfasts. I wanna.

However, I KEEP all of my calendars, which seems to defeat the purpose? Maybe not if we review, then put them away.

I've had roughly the same kind of calendar since freshman year in college. The first several years were weekly calendars, from the great bookstore Hungry Mind in Minneapolis. Cow on the front, plain lined paper inside with great quotes at the top. ("What a waste it is to lose ones mind, or not to have a mind as truly wasteful. How true that is." -Dan Quayle.)

After I stopped reliably going home to get Hungry Mind calendars, I got a very similar version, plain front, less interesting quotes.

Then the quotes disappeared.

Two years ago, I made a Huge Change. I got an 18-month calendar, and hopped off the academic calendar (July-June) and onto the regular calendar. (January - December.) Last year I got my first-ever normal desk calendar, National Gallery of Art, a gift from E.G. It's nice. Last week was "Portrait of a Youth" by Fillippino Lippi, got to remember how much of an influence he was on Botticelli by looking at the eyes and cheekbones.

I wonder if Hungry Mind (now "Ruminator" -- sold their name for a cool mil back in 90's boom times) still has any Jan-Dec desk calendars? Their quotes were the absolute best.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2003 05:28 pm
Mrs. SP gets, or chooses for me to get, something with flowers and/or gardens for the kitchen.

If I don't get something I like, or can at least tolerate, for work, I'll put up a Drunkin Donuts freebie untill I see something reasonable for short money in January/February.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2003 06:06 pm
Ah, you don't have choices for what we do.

1 calendar is just for show. It's a Wegman calendar, full of strangely posed (and often attired) Weimaraners. The other calendar is made by my husband in Autocad.
0 Replies