United or divided states of America

georgeob1

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2003 05:52 pm
au1929 wrote:
Let me ask this another way. Are we being Balkanized? Instead of being one nation are we acting as if the US is 50 separate nations with little regard for it's neighbor. In effect have we become Europe and is that being aided and abetted by the actions of our legislators and administration?

Not at all au1929. Read some of the contemporary accounts of elections past. Issues were just as hotly debated then and the prognosticators of doom just as active.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2003 06:54 pm
As I recall, the ascention of Jefferson to the office of President was held by some, and vigorously so, to pressage the certain demise of the Noble American Experiment. There was some concern over a "Tyrrany of Virginians" among the rhetoric of the time.
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 04:13 am
I am happy that Mr. Hobitbob corrected me. I must thank him. I acknowlege that Gaddafi is not Arabic but Tuareg. However, I must most respectfully point out that according to The Cambridge Factfinder, Sunni Muslims comprise 96% of the population of Lybia, Christian groups-3% and Jewish- 1%.

I must most respectfully point out that there does not appear to be a "high percentage of Orthodox Christians in Lybia" unless Mr. Hobitbob wishes to say that 3% is a "high percentage".

Mr. Hobitbob chides me for "hate speech".

I do not hate anyone. I merely point out that President Reagan had Lybia bombed and that Lybian scum destroyed a plane bearing innocent people in Scotland.

I merely point out that GI's who were in Lybia in World War II reported that the Lybian Muslims were among the most corrupt and retarded peoples they had ever seen.

This is not hate. It is commentary.

Anyone who has read the stories written by Paul Bowles about North Africa knows the savagery implicit in the Lybian populace.

Africa has always been the backward continent--
The North Africans are just a cut above the Nigerians culturally who, as Arnold Toynbee has commented in his massive study- "A study of History"--have never contributed positively to any civilization"

I must most respectfully point out that I find it astonishing that the North African Society, with all of its primitive undercurrents and with almost no real contribution to the world's culture, should be held up as a model while the USA, the leading country in the world in most areas, should be denigrated.

The only parallel that I can find is that of the situation laid out by Professor Mary Lefkowitz, a leading scholar of antiquity, who pointed out in her fine book-Not out of Africa- that the ridiculous claims made by some Afro-American would be scholars that Aristotle plundered the library at Alexandria in Egypt and that therefore Greek civilization was "stolen" from black people.

Aristotle died before the LIbrary at Alexandria was fully functioning and there is no evidence that Aristotle ever visited Alexandria.

Such fairy tales are told by groups who feel inferior.
Africa has always been a backward land and despite desperate efforts to give it parity with Europe, scholars know that nothing of any real value ever grew among the savage tribes of the Sahara.

I do hope that I have given enough evidence to show that my points are corroborated.

I respectfully ask that anyone who has information that differs materially help me to learn more.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 06:51 am
Italgato

I appreciate very much your interest in the history of North Africa!

However, since this thread is about the "United or divided states of America", such would be IMHO totally out of the topic (and belong to another category as well).

Besides, I'm not sure, if au as creator of this thread, wants such a discussion here.

So, why not create a new one about this very interesting topic?

(An aside: I really like this guide-line of the Kiwanis club: Encourage international understanding)
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 07:26 am
Walter
I have some time ago given up trying to control what is discussed on any thread. People have a tendency to write what is on their mind. At times that leads to lively discussions and at others wasted effort and surprisingly occasionally deals with the subject on hand. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 08:31 am
While laudable, au, I would opine your assumption there is flawed in that it implies all folks have minds.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 09:21 am
Timber
I always give people the benefit of the doubt. Embarrassed
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 09:23 am
Laughing

There's certainly plenty of doubt to go around. That's one thing we ain't likely to run short of any time soon.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 09:29 am
I most likely doubt my own understandings of the nature of things more often than not. I also, more often than not, reject out of hand the opines of others that have little doubt of their own convictions.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 09:29 am
Hobitbob -- I failed to haul out the rose petals and strew them in your path -- in gratitude for your really wonderful responses to Pistoff's list. Damn that's good!
0 Replies

Suzette

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 09:32 am
timberlandko wrote:
While laudable, au, I would opine your assumption there is flawed in that it implies all folks have minds.

...but, don't forget: as a former VP once said, "It is a terrible thing to lose one's mind".
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 09:35 am
dyslexia wrote:
I also, more often than not, reject out of hand the opines of others that have little doubt of their own convictions.

A position, no doubt, derived from strong personal conviction Twisted Evil :wink:
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 09:38 am
Hmmmm. I think I'll agree with him anyway, Timber.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 09:48 am
You're likely right, rog. And I'm prolly just overly curmudgeonly this morning. It was a rough night.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 01:42 pm
Boy -- I hope everyone in this thread has been listening to Talk of the Nation today. It take on the subject of this thread with call-ins and with participation from former members of Congress, both parties.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 02:13 pm
I suspect the greatest divide in this nation is the growing gap between the activist left and the growing majority. Then again, a few County Board seat pickups in Suffolk County, New York, a mayorality, and a 4-point gubernatorial win in a state with a 60% Democrat majority could be signs that I'm wrong.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 02:43 pm
Suzette wrote:
timberlandko wrote:

...but, don't forget: as a former VP once said, "It is a terrible thing to lose one's mind".

I use to think that the speaker of that quote was the dumbest candidate conservatives ever got elected -- and I often noted that he was up against some strong competition in that department.

But Dan Quayle is a goddam genius compared with the guy who makes the Oval Office his place of business right now.
0 Replies

Suzette

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 03:04 pm
Frank, now why would you say something so harsh? Now, just look at one of my favorite things our president has to say:

"I think if you know what you believe, it makes it a lot easier to answer questions. I can't answer your question."

but, there's always:

"You ******* son of a bitch. I saw what you wrote. We're not going to forget this." --George W. Bush to writer and editor Al Hunt
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 03:44 pm
So-o-o-o-o presidential, Suzette, don't you think?
0 Replies

Suzette

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 03:55 pm
Tartarin, I really can't believe what is going on! I do believe I misunderestimated just what a total ass he is.
0 Replies