Does anybody wanna learn a little Chinese?

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2003 08:23 am
I think maybe someone wanna learn a little Chinese.
China, my motherland, is a wonderful, amazing and magical place.I love her. I hope that more people could know her brilliant culture. So, getting to know our language may be the first step.
I still have some problems.
First, I am not sure if anybody is interested in Chinese.
Second, if the first answer is yes.What do you wanna learn? Spoken Chinese? Chinese Songs? Chinese ancient poem? or something else?
Third, it's my own private problem. I maybe have not enough time to offer lessons regularly, so I think I need a partner to do this together.
I am trying to persuade one of my friends to work with me, She is a graduate student studying hard to get her M.A. Degree. I don't think she has much spare time for me. I have to "bribe" her Smile
Anyway, I should solve these problem one by one, and now, Let me find the answer for the first question.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,902 • Replies: 19
No top replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2003 08:27 am
Present, Teacher.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2003 08:49 am
What a nice offer, StevenZhao. Thank you! I'm here, too.
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2003 08:50 am
I only know three words in Chinese:

"ee" is one.
"tzu" is teacher
"Chung-gwo" is China.

But I'd like to learn more.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2003 10:11 am
I'd like to. Shien shien. Or is it tien tien?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2003 10:36 am
I live in Raleigh NC and because of Research Triangle Park, we have people from all over the world at one of my karaoke shows all the time, including Chinese. I would love to be able to say to someone from China, "Hello, I'm happy to meet you, do you know you have some lettuce from the buffet stuck between your teeth?" I've been taught to say that in French and Italian and the look on peoples faces is priceless. Laughing

Aren't there a lot of different dialects in conversational Chinese though? How would one know which to use?
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2003 01:12 pm
I'd love to learn Chinese - not just the spoken language, but the characters too. What part of China does this Chinese come from? I've heard from some people who used to live there that all the dialects are mutually unintelligeable.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2003 01:24 pm
Present, teacher.
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2003 01:44 pm
When I went to China, they tried to teach us a bit of Chinese, but not much of it stuck. . . I know the characters for China (middle country) and the word for thank you (though I only know how to pronounce it, nothing else).

It was a beautiful country and I'd love to go back, so learning a bit would be helpful :-)
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2003 01:41 pm
Chinese culture and language have always fascinated me; I was considering spending six months in Beijing or Guangzhou, to try to learn the language. In fact, if I were given the opportunity to wake up one morning, speaking any language, I would choose Mandarin. The only difficulty I have found so far is trying to memorise the characters, which I really want to master.

Anyhow, thank you for such a kind offer.
0 Replies

Rounin

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 04:34 pm
Jung gwo? Does it mean the same as the Korean "Jung hwa" or Japanese "Chuu goku"? ( 中國 / 中国 )? Both mean "country in the middle" or something like that.

Edit: I guess that's "Jung gug", and not "Jung hwa".
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 11:40 am
Steven.... Yes!!

One of my biggest dreams is a trip to China....

Where I take my Tai Chi class, they have a "cultural exchange" to China each year.... One of these years, I'm going to participate!!

Our Tai Chi teacher is a member of the faculty at Sozhou University.... 10 days of the "cultural exchange" is spent with students in the Foreign Language Department there....

I would love to be a part of the daily early-morning Tai Chi exercises in the parks in China....

Let's see..... maybe I should learn how to say.... "can you guide me to the park where they do the Tai Chi in the morning"....

:-)
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 03:44 pm
I wish Steven would check in and get us started...
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 04:08 pm
Yes, I would like to read poems like the following.

桃之夭夭
灼灼其華
之子于帰
宜其室家

(Appropriate fonts are needed but no need of changing encoding.)

(The peach tree is young and elegant;
Abundant will be its fruit.
This young lady is going to her future home,
And will order well her house and chamber.)

0 Replies

yeahman

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 05:37 pm
Rounin wrote:
Jung gwo? Does it mean the same as the Korean "Jung hwa" or Japanese "Chuu goku"? ( 中國 / 中国 )? Both mean "country in the middle" or something like that.

joong-gook (korean) = china (english) = middle kingdom/nation (literal translation)
in chinese i believe it's pronounced jjung-gu (cantonese?).
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 05:55 pm
In cantonese, "dzung gwok" will be close for the pronunciation of 中国.
(In the classical book of history "史記", the term "中国" seems to be used almost synonymously to "中原" - middle field along 黄河 (the Huang He).)
0 Replies

dayanday

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 09:29 am
Jim wrote:
I only know three words in Chinese:

"ee" is one.
"tzu" is teacher
"Chung-gwo" is China.

But I'd like to learn more.

Would you like to know the chinese characters for these words? Cool
let me help you. But first of all, you should add "gb2312" code to support Chinese charaters reading, ok, here they go:

"ee" is one. [ actually in chinese pinyi is "yi", and character: 一 ]
teacher [ pinyi: "lao shi" ; character: 老师 ]
China [ pinyi: "zhong guo" ; character: 中国 ]

If you like to learn more, please tell me, Razz , and btw, I am not a native english speaker, so if I make any mistake in my English, please point it out, thanks in advance!
0 Replies

dayanday

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 09:32 am
Rounin wrote:

In chinese pinyi, china is "zhong guo", and you said it, it meas the "country in the middle" .
0 Replies

dayanday

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 09:34 am
littlek wrote:
I'd like to. Shien shien. Or is it tien tien?

you mean "thank you" , it's " xie xie" ! Razz
0 Replies

Rounin

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 02:08 pm
I've been wondering about that X. Is it almost like j/sh-sound or what? It'd be cool to learn more about the phonemes that are found in Chinese, and how they're romanized into pinyin.
0 Replies