I can see myself falling in a bad direction

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 06:57 am
I need to find some more optimistic philosophy's.

I previously had alot of good beliefs that helped my life in a good direction. But I did notice I felt scared and worried when anyone opposed them or tried to rip them apart. This just proved that on some level my beliefs wernt strong enough. So i decided to get rid of any prejudice and ideas i had before and just go out to seek the truth.
But this is now kinda making me insane and feel unstable! I have to keep reminding myself that there are so many different filters for life and it is possible for me to feel stable and that my life has some purpose other than finding purpose once again.

My beliefs before were.

. Subjective reality. all I can possibly say is real is this moment and anything can be discovered. Limitations of this moment exist because of the level my consciousness is at.

. Things exist because of contrast. This was the most beautiful idea I had. The idea that death only exists because of life. and life only exists because of death.

.We are here to experience emotions we wouldnt be able to experience if we didnt limit ourself. I seen the universe or consciousness as one big vast everything. But to make beauty like a drawing you need to have contrast in it to draw something beautiful. Limitations are beautiful. They create the beauty of revealing everything once again. God is basicly a stripper. You could just see him naked in one go but thats not as beautiful as a strip tease Wink lol

Is there anything wrong with these ideas? Because all it takes to get me in a depression is for them to say anything along the lines of "life sucks then you die" Kinda view. Even though I know there are things much more beautiful than that idea like.. well we don't really die... time is just an illusion and we live in an unlimited multidimensional universe. But still.. they get to me. And im not one that likes to take on blind faith.

If i don't sort this out I can see my life turning upside down. Me not caring about anything and me going into depression.

Before my life felt meaningful and beautiful.

Anyone wana help?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,234 • Replies: 24
No top replies

xris

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 07:06 am
@glasstrees,
dwixi;71693 wrote:
I need to find some more optimistic philosophy's.

I previously had alot of good beliefs that helped my life in a good direction. But I did notice I felt scared and worried when anyone opposed them or tried to rip them apart. This just proved that on some level my beliefs wernt strong enough. So i decided to get rid of any prejudice and ideas i had before and just go out to seek the truth.
But this is now kinda making me insane and feel unstable! I have to keep reminding myself that there are so many different filters for life and it is possible for me to feel stable and that my life has some purpose other than finding purpose once again.

My beliefs before were.

. Subjective reality. all I can possibly say is real is this moment and anything can be discovered. Limitations of this moment exist because of the level my consciousness is at.

. Things exist because of contrast. This was the most beautiful idea I had. The idea that death only exists because of life. and life only exists because of death.

.We are here to experience emotions we wouldnt be able to experience if we didnt limit ourself. I seen the universe or consciousness as one big vast everything. But to make beauty like a drawing you need to have contrast in it to draw something beautiful. Limitations are beautiful. They create the beauty of revealing everything once again. God is basicly a stripper. You could just see him naked in one go but thats not as beautiful as a strip tease Wink lol

Is there anything wrong with these ideas? Because all it takes to get me in a depression is for them to say anything along the lines of "life sucks then you die" Kinda view. Even though I know there are things much more beautiful than that idea like.. well we don't really die... time is just an illusion and we live in an unlimited multidimensional universe. But still.. they get to me. And im not one that likes to take on blind faith.

If i don't sort this out I can see my life turning upside down. Me not caring about anything and me going into depression.

Before my life felt meaningful and beautiful.

Anyone wana help?
Dont think you are alone in your journey is the first thing to remember.Dont discount your thoughts or feelings but revise them as you learn.None of us get it right and ive been trying to make sense of life for many years now.Many things you have said remind me of my thoughts so chin up lass and just keep smilling:bigsmile:
richrf

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 11:07 am
@xris,
Hi,

I like your viewpoint in life. It is similar to mine. I go out and enjoy exploring lots of things. I picture myself as part of the whole, enjoying the whole, and interacting with the whole. I have my ups and my downs. I accept this as part of my life. When I use to try to achieve something, I noticed that the bigger the achievement the bigger the letdown as soon as I achieved it. Smile So noways, I moderate what I do. The ups are smaller and the downs are smaller, which is the way I like it.

Things that I might do include:

1. dancing Salsa or Swing
  2. practice Taiji and yoga
  3. play tennis
  4. play basketball
  5. read fiction
  6. read philosophy
  7. read history
  8. watch So you think you can Dance?
  9. sing
  10. play the piano
  11. discourse on the Internet
  12. walk
  13. try out new foods (inexpensively of course, though I love Whole Foods)
  14. bike
  15. play and improve my Table Tennis game
  16. watch the Food Channel competitions
  17. invest in the stock market

and lots of other things. I enjoy learning about things around me.

I hope you enjoy this message. :bigsmile:

Rich
glasstrees

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 01:31 pm
@richrf,
richrf;71777 wrote:
Hi,

I like your viewpoint in life. It is similar to mine. I go out and enjoy exploring lots of things. I picture myself as part of the whole, enjoying the whole, and interacting with the whole. I have my ups and my downs. I accept this as part of my life. When I use to try to achieve something, I noticed that the bigger the achievement the bigger the letdown as soon as I achieved it. Smile So noways, I moderate what I do. The ups are smaller and the downs are smaller, which is the way I like it.

Things that I might do include:

1. dancing Salsa or Swing
  2. practice Taiji and yoga
  3. play tennis
  4. play basketball
  5. read fiction
  6. read philosophy
  7. read history
  8. watch So you think you can Dance?
  9. sing
  10. play the piano
  11. discourse on the Internet
  12. walk
  13. try out new foods (inexpensively of course, though I love Whole Foods)
  14. bike
  15. play and improve my Table Tennis game
  16. watch the Food Channel competitions
  17. invest in the stock market

and lots of other things. I enjoy learning about things around me.

I hope you enjoy this message. :bigsmile:

Rich

Yeah Achievements are good based on how you view them. If you see your existance as pure consciousness then it makes you wonder WHY we are like we are. Theres really no reason why are reality shouldnt be one big orgasm. But its not. To make beauty you need a tease. You cant just have all of everything. Picasso said. " I would like to be a poor man with lots of money" I really like this. You could apply it to things other than money obviously. Being rich or something just changes the scale you are in. It dosnt change how much you appreciate it. Only you can do that. See life as a blank piece of paper. Your desires are what drive you to move the black pen. You can get cause up and think if you make a big sploge of the black pen that will be great because you figure you have a desire for it so alot would be good. But really the objective is to draw something beautiful.
richrf

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 01:39 pm
@glasstrees,
dwixi;71806 wrote:
Yeah Achievements are good based on how you view them. If you see your existance as pure consciousness then it makes you wonder WHY we are like we are.

Hi,

Yes, for me learning is the "achievement" or as Bentov might put it - observing my consciousness evolve. For what purpose - well to amuse myself because to do nothing is quite boring. For me, it is like the ocean. The waves give it texture and interest. Looking at a flat ocean is OK, but it might get boring after a while. Smile

Rich
glasstrees

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 01:44 pm
@richrf,
Its now when i start to get happy again that I think maybe im just caught up in optimistic fairytales..... See my problem?
0 Replies

grasshopper

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 03:24 pm
@glasstrees,
Are you sure that thoose 'good-belifs' helped your life in a good direction? Good belief, according to who? Which good direction? They are not simple things you can mention in a sentence and pass. You can not accept it as it is.

But if you are sure of them(which you possibly will say because it is hard to accept that we wasted yearS on trying to get into a 5 size small dress) than why you suffer now?

In another hand, when i feel down and when it seems like i'm going the wrong way, i tell myself that it is harder to see things simple, while they are in such complex structure now.
glasstrees

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 05:06 pm
@grasshopper,
grasshopper;71836 wrote:
Are you sure that thoose 'good-belifs' helped your life in a good direction? Good belief, according to who? Which good direction? They are not simple things you can mention in a sentence and pass. You can not accept it as it is.

But if you are sure of them(which you possibly will say because it is hard to accept that we wasted yearS on trying to get into a 5 size small dress) than why you suffer now?

In another hand, when i feel down and when it seems like i'm going the wrong way, i tell myself that it is harder to see things simple, while they are in such complex structure now.

Well they are good in terms of they made me happy and I had a general focus to help other people and seek knowledge. But the problem comes when I am to question these beliefs that made me want to seek out knowledge and be the best person i can in the first place.
xris

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 03:18 am
@glasstrees,
dwixi;71874 wrote:
Well they are good in terms of they made me happy and I had a general focus to help other people and seek knowledge. But the problem comes when I am to question these beliefs that made me want to seek out knowledge and be the best person i can in the first place.
Lifes full of questions,if you think you know the answers you know nothing.You could be dogmatic and sing loudly so you blank out all the questions but then you cant sing forever.
You are no diffrent than any of us,we assume we have the answers but realise that only by debate can we trust our views.Im of an age when i can say i know everything there is about knowing sod all.Read here on this forum, very learned men are just as confused as you.Lifes a journey, its not the arriving thats important.Be patient lass take one step at a time.
glasstrees

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 10:04 am
@xris,
xris;72041 wrote:
Lifes full of questions,if you think you know the answers you know nothing.You could be dogmatic and sing loudly so you blank out all the questions but then you cant sing forever.
You are no diffrent than any of us,we assume we have the answers but realise that only by debate can we trust our views.Im of an age when i can say i know everything there is about knowing sod all.Read here on this forum, very learned men are just as confused as you.Lifes a journey, its not the arriving thats important.Be patient lass take one step at a time.

I think learning and the universe revealing itself to us is the seduction of life. This is what creates emotion and fun. I know we can never explore everything and know how everything work's. But I think its important to have a view of WHY it works.
Whoever

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 06:02 am
@glasstrees,
Dwixi

It seems to me that your problem is not your beliefs as stated but the fact that you don't really believe them. If you did, your moods would not be blown around by people expressing less optimistic views. If you don't know those people are wrong then your beliefs are just opinions.

If you post your beliefs for criticism somewhere I'll come and argue that they can be logically and empirically justified. What you need to do, in my opinion, is to turn your beliefs into a systematic worldview then see if it works in philosophy and physics. I believe this would be possible, that it would work, and that it can be logically proved that it would work. This is because you've arrived at the particular set of beliefs/conjectures that you mention.

Hope this cheers you up.
glasstrees

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 03:42 pm
@Whoever,
Whoever;73601 wrote:
Dwixi

It seems to me that your problem is not your beliefs as stated but the fact that you don't really believe them. If you did, your moods would not be blown around by people expressing less optimistic views. If you don't know those people are wrong then your beliefs are just opinions.

If you post your beliefs for criticism somewhere I'll come and argue that they can be logically and empirically justified. What you need to do, in my opinion, is to turn your beliefs into a systematic worldview then see if it works in philosophy and physics. I believe this would be possible, that it would work, and that it can be logically proved that it would work. This is because you've arrived at the particular set of beliefs/conjectures that you mention.

Hope this cheers you up.

So.

I should try and put them into use and then im in a better point to grow with them and also back them up?

If so.

Yeah, I mean before when i had pretty rubbish belifs i was happy alot. But I would rather have truth than to be happy.Instead of being happy with a falty computer program running I would rather spend my time looking for one that would work better. Rather than settle for the one im already useing.
Holiday20310401

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 03:52 pm
@glasstrees,
Diminish your beliefs, they lead you among city streets.

dwixi;73758 wrote:

Yeah, I mean before when i had pretty rubbish belifs i was happy alot. But I would rather have truth than to be happy.Instead of being happy with a falty computer program running I would rather spend my time looking for one that would work better. Rather than settle for the one im already useing.

Geez man, why not have both. If I knew I couldn't have both then well... what's the point of living.
glasstrees

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 04:26 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401;73763 wrote:
Diminish your beliefs, they lead you among city streets.

Geez man, why not have both. If I knew I couldn't have both then well... what's the point of living.

I want Both. I just want one first. Then the other.

we dont know when were doing to die so..

Beliefs first. Happyiness second.

okay. a little happiness now too. Just for the purpose of me not goign insane though.
Holiday20310401

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 05:33 pm
@glasstrees,
Grief may be more a sign of madness than belief, ..... but I doubt it.
0 Replies

Whoever

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 11:52 pm
@glasstrees,
Why assume the truth is something to be pessimistic about? If we don't know what it is then there's at least a 50% chance it would make us happy.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 12:22 am
@glasstrees,
dwixi,

I suggest some introspection. Are you a seeker of understanding, a critical thinker, never satisfied with the superficial answers society often provides? Or are you perfectly content with a defined set of beliefs, never feeling the motivation or urge to evaluate further?

It seems to me you're the former, not the latter. And if so, beliefs will not provide you the fulfillment you desire. You simply will not let yourself be happy often with the mindset that there is more to understand, more intricacies to uncover. The fuller your understanding, the more enlightened you become, the better you'll be able to articulate your thoughts. And take note, I didn't say the more you know - it's the understanding that is key. You'll begin to understand this existence in ways you had never imagined, but don't expect concrete answers or happiness immediately. The road will be treacherous, testing your mental, physical, and emotional stability, and sometimes it may even make you wish you had never been born. But, in the end, you'll be on the path to fulfillment.

With that said, all birds do need to perch from time to time. So perch, regain your sanity whenever you feel the need, and enjoy the bursts of happiness that don't always come from rational thought. Just make sure you don't stay perched for too long, as the branch can't hold you forever.
glasstrees

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 05:59 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;73901 wrote:
dwixi,

I suggest some introspection. Are you a seeker of understanding, a critical thinker, never satisfied with the superficial answers society often provides? Or are you perfectly content with a defined set of beliefs, never feeling the motivation or urge to evaluate further?

It seems to me you're the former, not the latter. And if so, beliefs will not provide you the fulfillment you desire. You simply will not let yourself be happy often with the mindset that there is more to understand, more intricacies to uncover. The fuller your understanding, the more enlightened you become, the better you'll be able to articulate your thoughts. And take note, I didn't say the more you know - it's the understanding that is key. You'll begin to understand this existence in ways you had never imagined, but don't expect concrete answers or happiness immediately. The road will be treacherous, testing your mental, physical, and emotional stability, and sometimes it may even make you wish you had never been born. But, in the end, you'll be on the path to fulfillment.

With that said, all birds do need to perch from time to time. So perch, regain your sanity whenever you feel the need, and enjoy the bursts of happiness that don't always come from rational thought. Just make sure you don't stay perched for too long, as the branch can't hold you forever.

Yeah Smile
that is what im trying to do. Although I wont let details worry me. I will be happy when i know that I am safe. The universe and all consciousness isnt one day going to seize to be forever Very Happy

I guess now. I am kinda happy with what i think now. I have realise. We are consciousness. Something exists rather than nothing. that deserves a wow. theres no such thing as time its just a dimension! WOW. All I know is this consciousness. It existed when it didnt have to. Everything has to have a first action to make it happen yet we have a universe!? yet i have consciousness. Theres always existance and always will be. There cant be nothing.. ever. Were just consciousness.

These im happy with. but then. Sometimes.. When i feel down.
It magnifys the slightest problems i have with mysef. I think depression is caused by low energy living. When you dont hang around with people and you just be by yourself for long amounts of time.

I seek negative things. Just so i can look at them. feel bad about them. Then try to make sense of them so I dont have to feel bad about them anymore. currently its Christians vs atheists. I dont see myself as either. I see my existence as being part of divine consciousness. but nothing separate. I dont think a being other than us planned everything. I just see how my existace and awareness ariveing from nothing is beautiful. Theres this yahoo answer of a guy that is discribing how he feels to be just like me. Here But then all the responses are like "YOU NEED TO FINNNND JESUS! PRAY TO GOD!" I hate how they prey on people feeling down. So then Christianity can be the thing that saves them. I hate how Everything between religion and atheism is so black and white. Religion to me seem's like the easiest solution for someone who wants to back up there ego perspective of existence. telling themself that it will last forever. It might last forever but i think its wrong to keep people attached to there ego's. Religion does offer many wise words but... In genral to me it seems to be peoples quick fix answer to death without any thought. Its a microwave meal that will give you cancer if you keep eating them. All along i have to grow my own healthy meal and make it myself Very Happy

But yeah.
Then atheists. They act like they can unprove god. They act like the universe just poped out of nothing. and one day it will go back to nothing. For eternity again :') Surely dont they consider that maybe the universe is infinite and ever lasting? Meaning an exact dubble of your conciousness is probably somewhere else in the universe meaning you will probably experience life after death one day? A universe where you are projected everywhere. There for your conciousness MUST be more than just your current state. Its really all the states ever but you are temporarily limited to this one while you are alive. Its like they WANT to bring people down. Its a beautiful universe. And they act like they are only alive because.. well they might as well. They never consider the amazingness of the universe.

Why do i still feel down when these guys are arguing? Even though im sure i know they are both wrong....
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 07:06 pm
@glasstrees,
dwixi wrote:
Why do i still feel down when these guys are arguing? Even though im sure i know they are both wrong....

You seem to value understanding, and so I have to applaud you. You're certainly on the right track, but remember that general conclusions are just that - general. They cannot speak for particulars, and so it's best not to believe them to be undoubtedly true. If you find yourself hovering over a general conclusion, dissect it with all your might. You'll soon find that the discrimination you once shared for a group of people or a collection of ideas, was actually just a lack of understanding.

Here's a hint: There is no "these guys". Every theist isn't as you've described, nor is every atheist. You've created a false dichotomy with which you've used in an attempt to make sense of the world. You're making a grave error in lumping all religion into one category and assuming all atheists have a hidden agenda. And even though it is an error, it can certainly be an error that can allow you to grow. If you so choose, you can use it as a stepping stone to understand further. I truly hope you do.

As for the depression and happiness comments, you sound absolutely normal. It's natural to go through an emotional rollercoaster, especially if you start delving into many of the discussions this forum offers. If you find yourself drowning in doubt or sorry for too long, simply take break. Go out and enjoy that beautiful universe you spoke of. You certainly can see it, so don't refrain from experiencing it.

Be well,

Zeth
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 09:57 pm
@glasstrees,
Dwixi,

We don't live our lives according to a philosophy. We live our lives and find a philosophy that fits. This may be a time to stop thinking so abstractly, and just live. If you want meaning and beauty back, then start with the things you KNOW are beautiful or meaningful, whether it's someone you love or even some thing. Use that as a home base, a safe place where you know that these positive thoughts always rest.

And if you need ideas to help you, read the work of optimists. Or perhaps even pick up some postmodern stuff because instead of gloom you've got irony instead.

Finally, find someone to talk to. We're built to be social -- don't neglect that.
0 Replies