Dawkins on Evolution

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 05:50 am
@Aedes,
What would be the methodology behind religious thought?

I pointed out some hypocrisy before, because I think that all the religious individuals on here could stand to apply their arguments against Dawkins upon themselves.

So, its time for this agnostic to do some religion hatin' (not literally, don't worry, I will attack faulty beliefs for being faulty, not for being religious):

What is the religious method for belief and discovery, and why is it superior to Dawkins?
jeeprs

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 05:58 am
@richrf,
you can't know it if you don't do it, because in this field of knowledge, you yourself and the way you live your life is the subject of the experiment. If you think you can sit on the sidelines and make a call about how it ought to be, forget about it. It doesn't work like that.
Dave Allen

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 07:28 am
@richrf,
Describing metaphysics as a field of knowledge is an oxymoron.

It's a field of subjective hunches (and indeed, insists that all other such fields are too).

IMO
0 Replies

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 07:34 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;90840 wrote:
you can't know it if you don't do it, because in this field of knowledge, you yourself and the way you live your life is the subject of the experiment. If you think you can sit on the sidelines and make a call about how it ought to be, forget about it. It doesn't work like that.

When does any scientist do this?

All scientific experimentation is subjective. The scientist doesn't "sit on the sidelines and make a call about how it ought to be", he brings about an experience that shows how things are.

I find that most religious individuals do their best to imitate the scientific quest without acknowledging it. That way they can nod to the common sense manner of gaining knowledge without admitting that this same manner has made religious belief almost untenable.

What methodology do you use to figure out how things are?

---------- Post added 09-17-2009 at 09:35 AM ----------

Dave Allen;90860 wrote:
Describing metaphysics as a field of knowledge is an oxymoron.

It's a field of subjective hunches (and indeed, insists that all other such fields are too).

IMO

I'm a strong agnostic. I think all comments about the notion of God or gods are unfounded.
0 Replies

LWSleeth

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 08:20 am
@Mr Fight the Power,
Mr. Fight the Power;90838 wrote:

I pointed out some hypocrisy before, because I think that all the religious individuals on here could stand to apply their arguments against Dawkins upon themselves.

So, its time for this agnostic to do some religion hatin' (not literally, don't worry, I will attack faulty beliefs for being faulty, not for being religious):

What is the religious method for belief and discovery, and why is it superior to Dawkins?

What does religious hypocrisy have to do with the logic of Dawkins' arguments? Why would the issue be what is "superior" (or not) to Dawkins? What does religion have to do with having a sense there is "something more" going on in the universe besides physics? Religion is one thing, the experience that leads people to believe there is a God is another.

I at least am NOT religious, but I meditate daily. From repeated "union" experiences over the last 35 years I've come to sense a conscious presence everywhere. Now, I don't leap from my experience to metaphysical statements in public debates because I can't externalize my experience for others to examine . . . each person has to master the skill himself; but I have come to understand why people who've had the union experience might feel there is a conscious force at work behind apparent reality. Why did Jesus say "I and my Father are One"? I believe it is because he'd merged with the greater conscious realm I just spoke of.

But that is another subject. This isn't a contest between religion and science, not for me anyway. I am strictly focused on Dawkins' use of science to spin facts so that an atheistic-physicalistic creation story seems a foregone conclusion; specifically, Dawkins' (and that's what this thread is about, not religion) proclamation to the world, representing his views as "science," that "evolution is a fact as much as the it's a fact that the Earth revolves around the Sun."

What science actually knows is that life gradually evolved, and probably from a common first life form. It does NOT know what caused that evolution or first life form, it only has an unconfirmed theory, a theory that just so happens to be an atheistic-physicalistic one being propagated by atheistic-physicalistic believers (should we not be concerned about objectivity?). It is dishonest to claim scientific certainty when one doesn't know. That is the only issue for me; in fact, I am still open to the possibility that evolution theory or abiogenesis is right. I don't care what the truth is, I just want an unbiased search for it, especially by those claiming they represent the objective reporting of facts.
Dave Allen

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 08:41 am
@LWSleeth,
LWSleeth;90872 wrote:
It is dishonest to claim scientific certainty when one doesn't know. That is the only issue for me; in fact, I am still open to the possibility that evolution theory or abiogenesis is right. I don't care what the truth is, I just want an unbiased search for it, especially by those claiming they represent the objective reporting of facts.

That seems fair - though it's the case as far as I see it that abiogenesis research is making headway through the application of relatively mundane trials involving the sort of compounds and environments thought to exist on the primeaval Earth (themselves decided on through "mundane" thinking) - and not some sort of spiritual gnosis, as far as I can tell.

Also, this piece isn't scientific - he was invited to give his opinion in a newspaper. I suppose if he was invited by a music magazine to say what his favourite band were people would be saying "oh, I suppose scientists reckon nothing's better than the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band - how can they prove that" or whatever.

His opinion on religion probably is informed by his degree of confidence in the eventual ability of science to reveal all, and this is hubris I suppose, but if he was asked "tell us what the scientific method reveals about god" his answer would be different to the article in the Wall St Journal.

I'm speculating wildly of course - I have no idea whether or not Dawkins is a Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band fan.
0 Replies

Pangloss

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 10:14 am
@Mr Fight the Power,
Mr. Fight the Power;90838 wrote:

I like the idea of 'reason vs. revelation' when it comes to scientific vs. religious thought. I'm not talking about 'revelations' from the bible, but rather the dictionary definition, where certain things are 'revealed' to a person. Religious thought can rely upon revelations that other people have experienced and decided to communicate to others, or it can involve revelations to the self that are unique and possibly incommunicable.

Quote:

I don't think so. Give an example, please. I'm also not religious, but that doesn't change the fact that Dawkins is treading in territory that he does not understand and can not speak of, using the language of science. Evolution is fine and dandy, but one is making a fallacious leap in their reasoning to then say that God does not exist.

Maybe the most he could try to say is that some strict creationists are wrong about life's evolution because science has shown differently. And this is only possible when you have certain religious folk trying to explain scientific phenomena using the bible, and of course science can easily counter it.

Quote:

As I said, I would characterize the methodologies as 'reason vs. revelation'. One is not, and does not need to be, superior to the other. They are two entirely different ways of thinking about how to approach the world and about how to draw meaning from it.
0 Replies

Dave Allen

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 10:20 am
@richrf,
Quote:
I'm also not religious, but that doesn't change the fact that Dawkins is treading in territory that he does not understand and can not speak of, using the language of science.

Once more: It's an opinion piece in a popular newspaper - not a science book.
Pangloss

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 10:27 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;90929 wrote:
Once more: It's an opinion piece in a popular newspaper - not a science book.

Yes, you've pointed this out twice now, and so what? An opinion piece is making an argument, and his argument is flawed. The title, "Richard Dawkins argues that evolution leaves God with nothing to do" shows in black and white that he is making an argument, which should be open to discussion.

If you'd rather not discuss the flawed argument, you're free to move on to another thread. :sarcastic:
0 Replies

Dave Allen

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 10:32 am
@richrf,
What I'm doing is pointing out that when you say he is using the language of science - without acknowledging that it's not an argument made with a scientific audience in mind - your own argument is flawed.

I am open to debate. No one was rebutting my point so I reasserted it.

As I am free to do, as far as I see it.
0 Replies

richrf

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 11:11 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;90836 wrote:
Not really.

In an opinion piece in the Wall Street Journal though...

And what an opinion! I think I will write a book about Dawkins' theory, and call it: Dawkins's Poof! A short story of how life began.

Acknowledgments to Dawkins for his inspiration.

Chapter 1.

It just did. Poof!

Rich
0 Replies

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 11:12 am
@LWSleeth,
LWSleeth;90872 wrote:
What does religious hypocrisy have to do with the logic of Dawkins' arguments? Why would the issue be what is "superior" (or not) to Dawkins? What does religion have to do with having a sense there is "something more" going on in the universe besides physics? Religion is one thing, the experience that leads people to believe there is a God is another.

I am not entirely sure what the argument against Dawkins is. He says that if God exists, he has nothing to do. Obviously, this means that he understands God to be ineffectual on our universe, and us with no ability to discern his existence from that of a general unconscious universe.

If you wish to argue with that opinion, I need some method for determining what could be called God, and what can't be. If you agree with that opinion, I cannot understand how one could believe in a conscious creator at all (except for some chained Spinoza deterministic entity that is ultimately worthless).

Quote:
I at least am NOT religious, but I meditate daily. From repeated "union" experiences over the last 35 years I've come to sense a conscious presence everywhere. Now, I don't leap from my experience to metaphysical statements in public debates because I can't externalize my experience for others to examine . . . each person has to master the skill himself; but I have come to understand why people who've had the union experience might feel there is a conscious force at work behind apparent reality. Why did Jesus say "I and my Father are One"? I believe it is because he'd merged with the greater conscious realm I just spoke of.

Why should I not think that you invented exactly what you wanted to find? Is there any responsibility when forming beliefs from experiences that no one else can share?

Quote:
But that is another subject. This isn't a contest between religion and science, not for me anyway. I am strictly focused on Dawkins' use of science to spin facts so that an atheistic-physicalistic creation story seems a foregone conclusion; specifically, Dawkins' (and that's what this thread is about, not religion) proclamation to the world, representing his views as "science," that "evolution is a fact as much as the it's a fact that the Earth revolves around the Sun."

What science actually knows is that life gradually evolved, and probably from a common first life form. It does NOT know what caused that evolution or first life form, it only has an unconfirmed theory, a theory that just so happens to be an atheistic-physicalistic one being propagated by atheistic-physicalistic believers (should we not be concerned about objectivity?). It is dishonest to claim scientific certainty when one doesn't know. That is the only issue for me; in fact, I am still open to the possibility that evolution theory or abiogenesis is right. I don't care what the truth is, I just want an unbiased search for it, especially by those claiming they represent the objective reporting of facts.

First off, I propose that, if you accept mutation as an actual occurrence, you cannot possibly deny evolution. Evolution is not just some observed phenomenon, it is set in stone by logic.

Ultimately, it is most telling that your definition of unbiased is "open to just about whatever, even if it cannot be objectively observed." Your standard for knowledge leaves us incapable of having knowledge. That is specifically biased toward your own opinion, as you are stating that someone who is objective must account for ideas on entities that cannot possibly observed by a great deal of the population.

If you continue to ask scientists to disprove God or some greater consciousness, you will always hold your belief. It cannot be done.

Until you can show me that anything more exists, it makes absolutely no sense to assume that it exists.

---------- Post added 09-17-2009 at 01:34 PM ----------

Pangloss;90923 wrote:
I like the idea of 'reason vs. revelation' when it comes to scientific vs. religious thought. I'm not talking about 'revelations' from the bible, but rather the dictionary definition, where certain things are 'revealed' to a person. Religious thought can rely upon revelations that other people have experienced and decided to communicate to others, or it can involve revelations to the self that are unique and possibly incommunicable.

Reliance on revelation is absolutely insane. At no point, other than religion, where people can be shown to generally believe what they want to believe, is reliance on revelation acceptable.

To keep along the line, if any religious person capable of saying God exists because I have had a revelation, why cannot Dawkins say God does not on the lack of revelations? Why should anyone even consider "revelations" valid?

Quote:
I don't think so. Give an example, please. I'm also not religious, but that doesn't change the fact that Dawkins is treading in territory that he does not understand and can not speak of, using the language of science. Evolution is fine and dandy, but one is making a fallacious leap in their reasoning to then say that God does not exist.

Maybe the most he could try to say is that some strict creationists are wrong about life's evolution because science has shown differently. And this is only possible when you have certain religious folk trying to explain scientific phenomena using the bible, and of course science can easily counter it.

I do not need to give an example.

First off, the default position is "there is not". It is impossible to assume "there is" without experience of it, as we would have no perspective or constraints on exactly what is.

Now this leaves two options: (to steal from you) reason and revelation.

Now if we follow the path of reason, we expand into science, and to do so, I am quite certain that the religious individual will be both hypocritical and extremely outmatched.

As for revelation, it is very difficult for someone to argue from revelation without sounding like a lunatic, and I doubt very many are willing to do so.

Quote:
As I said, I would characterize the methodologies as 'reason vs. revelation'. One is not, and does not need to be, superior to the other. They are two entirely different ways of thinking about how to approach the world and about how to draw meaning from it.

Except that one is totally ad hoc justification that they wouldn't actually use to justify any other belief.

How about ghosts, how does everyone feel about them?
Pangloss

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 12:16 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
Mr. Fight the Power;90949 wrote:
Reliance on revelation is absolutely insane. At no point, other than religion, where people can be shown to generally believe what they want to believe, is reliance on revelation acceptable.

You don't have to accept it if you don't want to, and neither does anyone else. I'm just pointing out that it is the main methodology behind religious thought, that the divine can be revealed to an individual through experience. I never argued that it's logical or that it's a firm foundation for forming a belief.

Quote:
To keep along the line, if any religious person capable of saying God exists because I have had a revelation, why cannot Dawkins say God does not on the lack of revelations? Why should anyone even consider "revelations" valid?
Maybe they have had their own experiences that validate the revelations of others, or that are simply so powerful as to where they cannot reject their impact with logic.

Quote:
As for revelation, it is very difficult for someone to argue from revelation without sounding like a lunatic, and I doubt very many are willing to do so.
You keep talking about religious lunacy and insanity, but these are very subjective, judgmental terms that don't really get to the reason why religious people believe what they do. I don't think most of them would claim that they can scientifically or logically demonstrate why they believe what they believe.

Quote:
Except that one is totally ad hoc justification that they wouldn't actually use to justify any other belief.
Many people 'believe' that they are in love with someone or something else. Ask them to scientifically demonstrate this, or to logically attempt to prove it. It can't be done. People justify all sorts of beliefs based on subjective experience instead of reason.

Reason is not the only thing involved in the human thought process, which is obvious. You are trying to say that reason is better than revelation, but I think if you honestly examine that claim, you will realize that for some things it is, and for some things it isn't. We humans may be unique in our ability to reason, but that doesn't mean it's all there is to us. Things like love or spirituality can be based on experiencing feelings, and are just as valid to someone's experience of the world as scientific thought. The difference is that science allows for demonstration to others, while feelings and revelations are personal and can't exactly be communicated. Of course science is more 'logical' and more scientific, but it is not necessarily 'better', as that depends on the type of thought it is being applied to.
richrf

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 12:34 pm
@Pangloss,
For the first time I finally understand the beef that Creationist have with the way science is now being taught. If stuff like Dawkins' metaphysical musings is being taught in science classes, then indeed the Creationist community has every right to have their musings introduced in the same science classes. Both are wildly speculating on the birth and nature of Life.

Rich
Mr Fight the Power

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 12:48 pm
@Pangloss,
Pangloss;90962 wrote:
You keep talking about religious lunacy and insanity, but these are very subjective, judgmental terms that don't really get to the reason why religious people believe what they do. I don't think most of them would claim that they can scientifically or logically demonstrate why they believe what they believe.

And yet belief in reincarnation, ghosts, or what have you is largely considered insane by them.

There is absolutely nothing different between their revelation and my revelation that Ghengis Khan is giving me advice on how to pick up women at the bar.

Ask them which one of us is crazy, though.

I understand why they believe, I just want it to be admitted that it is unjustified to believe in that manner.

Quote:
Many people 'believe' that they are in love with someone or something else. Ask them to scientifically demonstrate this, or to logically attempt to prove it. It can't be done. People justify all sorts of beliefs based on subjective experience instead of reason.

Of course we can map out the brain during these beliefs and find what leads to them. If we can do that to religious belief, does that destroy religion?

Quote:
Reason is not the only thing involved in the human thought process, which is obvious. You are trying to say that reason is better than revelation, but I think if you honestly examine that claim, you will realize that for some things it is, and for some things it isn't. We humans may be unique in our ability to reason, but that doesn't mean it's all there is to us. Things like love or spirituality can be based on experiencing feelings, and are just as valid to someone's experience of the world as scientific thought. The difference is that science allows for demonstration to others, while feelings and revelations are personal and can't exactly be communicated. Of course science is more 'logical' and more scientific, but it is not necessarily 'better', as that depends on the type of thought it is being applied to.

Religion is the only one of those things that we want to apply truth to.

There is a big difference between saying "I'm in love with" and "I believe in". They are fundamentally different. If "I believe in" carried with it the same properties and connotations of "I like" or "I love", that being an absence of truth claims, then I would have no problem with it.

---------- Post added 09-17-2009 at 02:50 PM ----------

richrf;90970 wrote:
For the first time I finally understand the beef that Creationist have with the way science is now being taught. If stuff like Dawkins' metaphysical musings is being taught in science classes, then indeed the Creationist community has every right to have their musings introduced in the same science classes. Both are wildly speculating on the birth and nature of Life.

Rich

What metaphysical musings?

Wasn't that the whole point of this: Dawkins' physicalism wasn't sufficient to address the question of God?

Dawkins entire point in saying that God would have nothing left to do is to say that physicalism has gone far enough in explaining the natural, that we don't really need to be concerned with metaphysics.
0 Replies

LWSleeth

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 01:01 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;90792 wrote:
I spent three years as a postdoctoral fellow at Harvard doing evolutionary parasitology research in one of the premier labs of its kind in the world -- when I was an undergrad I did my thesis research on regulation of homeobox genes in organogenesis during early embryonic development. So I've got a little bit of experience doing research in this field and I'm not susceptible to deceptions by the likes of Dawkins (of whom I might add I've never read a single word).

For all the "extensive" writing you do on biology, I'm shocked that you think that combinatorial gene regulation, including the enormous science of epigenetics, is just some rhetorical game.

[SIZE="3"]I carefully read your responses, and if I assume you are an honest man, then I can only conclude you just don't get it. Why do you offer up combinatorial gene regulation or epigenetics research (or hox genes) as possible solutions to the objections I raise??? They answer nothing, shed no light on the issue, do not in any way, shape or form save the fallacious logic used to claim "evolution theory is a fact" (remember, that is my ONLY objection). If you have great hopes for E-theory, no problem; if you personally believe it with all your heart and mind, no problem; if you think people who believe God has a role in creation are idiots, no problem. HOWEVER, if, as a scientist (which Dawkins is) one states to the public (as a scientist) that "evolution is a fact the way the Earth revolving around the Sun is a fact," then I do have a problem.

My problem isn't with E-theory, it is a fine theory (I just don't buy it yet). My problem is with statements about what known, and the logic used to argue that E-theory is a fact . . . and nothing more. So you can stop listing all the great research going on, or your expertise, because they don't fix the distortions and logic fallacies committed by E-theory believers making their case to the public.

Do you know what a composition fallacy is? If not:
Fallacy: Composition

When you list all the great mechanisms of a cell or organ, as though because you find only mechanical stuff it means life is nothing but mechanics, then you commit a composition fallacy. Consider your example above when you said, "Think of working car versus not working car. It's all the same material -- but you put enough of it together the right way and it begins to work."

Do you believe you accounted for the creation of a car? Why not take out the car's inventor, designer, and assembly experts and see just how far towards a car's creation you get. Because car parts and operations are entirely mechanical doesn't mean that's all there is to the creation of a car. And because all the parts and functions of biology are mechanical/physical (overlooking the question of consciousness for the moment), it doesn't mean that's all there was to the creation of life.

You can explain, like all E-theorists, that life's development followed a certain path. You can explain much of how the body is put together. Awesome! Being able to follow and explain that allows us to manipulate body chemistry and physics in beneficial ways.

What you cannot demonstrate, in short, is the hypothesized self-directing mechanical processes that supposedly create and evolve life. And all your hopes for finding the right conditions, chemistry, bio-mechanisms, etc. that will produce a demonstration of some purely physical life-creating and evolving process are little more than the emotions of your a priori belief system, and the group of science believers you belong to. It doesn't matter how much you can manipulate genetics now, or mess with the brain, or any of it because none of that is creating and evolving a life from chemicals. Make all the claims you want about what you "will" do someday, but the fact is, you haven't done it. So why not wait until science can demonstrate clearly in front of us all, that it has discovered the creation process before telling the world in various ways that physics is God.

The vast majority of the world think something more is involved than mechanics. So when Dawkins et al proclaim to the world they've got it all figured out, and imply (or outright state it as Dawkins does) that only idiots and morons doubt atheistic/mechanistic creation theory, that to doubt only means you just don't know enough about biology or E-theory, that to doubt the scientism minority is merely a sign of the ignorance of the masses . . . it is irritating to put it mildly.

Mechanical understanding is a great thing, but learning how to feel is a human potential as well. Not all of reality, at least in my experience, can be known via my intellect; some aspects of reality can only be felt (no, not emotionally, but through heightened sensitivity), and God is one of those things. Making sense of God is very difficult, but feeling God is incredibly simple: join that vast field of consciousness and enjoy.

I'll leave you with a last couple of thoughts. Have you ever considered the possibility that some science-types are a bit handicapped? If someone is so skilled in an area of human potential that all they ever do is use that one skill, other areas of possible development may remain dormant (or underutilized). That's how I see mechanists, they are really smart about taking things apart to see how it all works, but they can be obsessive too in that everything is to be understood by dissection. I think it's funny to imagine the panic reductionists might experience when they reach a point where there is nothing else to break down, you know the smallest possible "part" has been separated out, and still there is nothing to see that serves as the foundation of it all.

But, what if something exists that is, and can only be, ONE. How will the genius mechanics understand that?? They won't because, as logic clearly reveals, the only way to know it is to become one with it.[/SIZE]
0 Replies

Dave Allen

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 01:03 pm
@richrf,
richrf;90970 wrote:

But Dawkins personal opinions on metaphysics aren't in worthy biology textbooks - they are in articles in a popular newspaper, or his book on religion - which isn't a biology textbook either.

So saying "no wonder Creationists want their side of the story taught in science classes if this is the sort of thing taught in science classes" is absolute nonsense - because this sort of thing is not taught in science classes.
0 Replies

LWSleeth

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 01:18 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
Mr. Fight the Power;90949 wrote:
If you continue to ask scientists to disprove God or some greater consciousness, you will always hold your belief. It cannot be done.

[SIZE="3"]What are you talking about? Where did I ask anyone to disprove anything? What I've "asked" is to see the kind of evidence that justifies the claim "evolution theory is a fact." Of course you can smash any argument when its fabricated from some ridiculous straw man you alone have created. Since I can see how you want to debate, I am dropping out now to save myself a huge waste of time.[/SIZE]

---------- Post added 09-17-2009 at 12:31 PM ----------

Dave Allen;90989 wrote:
But Dawkins personal opinions on metaphysics aren't in worthy biology textbooks - they are in articles in a popular newspaper, or his book on religion - which isn't a biology textbook either.

So saying "no wonder Creationists want their side of the story taught in science classes if this is the sort of thing taught in science classes" is absolute nonsense - because this sort of thing is not taught in science classes.

That's not quite true. I personally have had various biology professors (virtually all of them) speak about random mutation and natural selection as the primary evolution dynamics as though they are as firmly established as gradual development and common descent; they make absolutely no distinction in the evidence, and therefore distort what is actually known versus what is merely believed. If a teacher believes that way, it is very difficult to present the theoretical aspects of E-theory as actual theory.

On the other hand, I'd have even more of a problem with teaching creationism as an alternative theory. Biology is a scientific discipline, so biology teachers should only be expected to teach science; if teachers stopped acting like all E-theory is virtually a fact, then I'd be perfectly happy with it being taught (and even grateful to be given the chance to study the evidence of evolution).
Mr Fight the Power

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 02:07 pm
@LWSleeth,
LWSleeth;90992 wrote:
What are you talking about? Where did I ask anyone to disprove anything? What I've "asked" is to see the kind of evidence that justifies the claim "evolution theory is a fact." Of course you can smash any argument when its fabricated from some ridiculous straw man you alone have created. Since I can see how you want to debate, I am dropping out now to save myself a huge waste of time.

If you don't buy into evolution, then we probably have a difference in mentality that cannot be overcome. I also consider it fact beyond any reasonable doubt.

My point, however, is if we were to do a complete unbiased examination, we would find that there is a great deal of evidence for the leading edge opinions of evolutionary science, while there is absolutely no evidence for any metaphysical creationism. That you consider an unbiased treatment of them would be to examine them equal only says to me that you consider no evidence to be equal to a great deal of evidence.

---------- Post added 09-17-2009 at 04:15 PM ----------

LWSleeth;90987 wrote:
Do you know what a composition fallacy is? If not:
Fallacy: Composition

Evolution is a theory of more than just the components of the system. As Dawkins said in his paper, it is more likely that the inhabitants on another planet would have developed evolutionarily than that they exist at all.

Evolution is a conceptual framework that just so happens to apply to life because of genetic variation. Anything that has a limited lifetime and stands to be passed on, genes being only a portion of this group, will behave evolutionary. Behaviors, language, production methods and technology, economics, these can all be described in terms of evolution.

Dawkins obviously understood this and introduced the concept of memetics. Study up on that.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 02:29 pm
@richrf,
I still reckon Dawkins' conception of deity is completely wrong, and as he wrote a book on the topic (quite aside from this opinion piece), this is not unimportant. In the opinion piece, he says that 'God is complex' and 'exists objectively, in the same way as the Rock of Gibralter'. Now without even asserting a belief in Deity, you can show that this does not accord with any conception of God provided by any type of theology or traditional philosophy. First, because anything that is complex is composed of parts and exists because of causes and conditions. Second, as many theologians explicitly state, the being of Deity is of a different order to that of any existing thing, and it cannot be understood as an object of perception or even thought in the same way as any ordinary type of object, being or thing. Dawkins has no conception of the idea of a 'self-existent', 'transcendent' or 'incorporeal being'. It might be possible to present arguments against the reality of this understanding of Deity, but Dawkins does it nowhere. Therefore the entire Dawkins' hypothesis on the non-reality of God is based on a flawed understanding of the nature of that which he denies. And in fact his whole intrusion into the realm of theology and philosophy is a misadventure, ill-conceived and unfounded, and the sooner he realises this and returns to the subjects he knows and understands, the better off we will all be.
0 Replies