Dawkins on Evolution

richrf

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 08:12 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;90119 wrote:
Perhaps (I believe) because they realise (as far as I can tell) how boring (in my opinion) and weak (ditto) arguments sound when they are made with the (relatively) hardcore phenomenologists (assuming they actually exist) in mind (I reckon).

Now we are talking. Everyone has their own belief system. Armstrong takes a position stemming from and acknowledging belief systems exist and why they exist. Dawkins, on the other hand, takes the scientific point of view, that belief systems are unwarranted and then states his own.

We all have faith in our belief systems and they change over time. I think this point of view is far more tolerant than some of those that emanate from true believers of either side.

Rich
Dave Allen

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 08:23 am
@richrf,
richrf;90120 wrote:
Now we are talking.

Can you be sure?

Quote:
Everyone has their own belief system.

How do you know that?

richrf;90120 wrote:
Dawkins, on the other hand, takes the scientific point of view, that belief systems are unwarranted and then states his own.

DAVE: Hello Mr Strawman, how are you today?

STRAWMAN: Not great, pretty shoddily built, as usual.

DAVE: Looks like it, seems to me that an uncited and rather dubious assertion is being equated with the scientific point of view.

STRAWMAN: Yup.

DAVE: Should be easy to knock that down.

STRAWMAN: Help - I'm blowing away!
richrf

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 08:56 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;90121 wrote:
Can you be sure?/QUOTE]

Nope. But so far that is what I have observed.

Question: Where did life come from?
Scientist: The Universe (God) created life.
Question: And who decides what we do in life.
Scientist: The Laws of Physics (God, The Creator) decides.
Questoin: No Free Will?
Scientist: No Free Will. The Laws of Physics (God, The Creator) decides it all.
Question: The Universe (God) is beautiful, isn't it.
Scientist: Yes, the Universe (God) is beautiful.

The only difference between a scientist and a theologists is the words they use. Both however exhibit very strong faith in what they believe.

As for me, I just keep exploring on my own, and let the true believers duke it out on which faith is better/stronger than the other. Dawkins is an evangelist, just like Billy Graham, and he preaches to the faithful.

Rich
0 Replies

Dave Allen

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 09:03 am
@richrf,
Same strawman again. Even if this wasn't a simplification and misrepresentation of Dawkin's point of view, and it is, Dawkins is a scientist, not "Scientist(s)".
richrf

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 09:13 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;90125 wrote:
Same strawman again. Even if this wasn't a gross simplification of Dawkin's point of view, and it is, Dawkins is a scientist, not "Scientist(s)".

Fine, we can replace the word Scientist with Dawkins in my above post. However, I think Dawkins' views are representative a wider spectrum of people other than himself - that is mashing together scientific sounding talk (random, laws, species, etc. ) with lots of faith. It is just a matter of being aware of it.

Rich
0 Replies

Dave Allen

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 09:21 am
@richrf,
What do you think faith is?

Quote:
Fine, we can replace the word Scientist with Dawkins in my above post.

Cool, that will improve it to a misrepresenting simplification rather than just plain wrong.
richrf

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 09:25 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;90128 wrote:
What do you think faith is?

A confident belief.

faith (fhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/amacr.gifth)n.1. Confident belief in the truth, value, or trustworthiness of a person, idea, or thing.
2. Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence. See Synonyms at belief, trust.
3. Loyalty to a person or thing; allegiance: keeping faith with one's supporters.
4. often Faith Christianity The theological virtue defined as secure belief in God and a trusting acceptance of God's will.
5. The body of dogma of a religion: the Muslim faith.
6. A set of principles or beliefs.

Dawkins' faith is explicitly spelled out in his first paragraph:

Evolution is the universe's greatest work.

Now, if this is not faith (which, btw, is fine with me), I don't know what is. All he has done is replace the word God with the word Universe, so that it is more palatable for his readership/followers. But the premise stands on its own. It is the beginning of his own belief system.

We all have to start from somewhere. Daoists call it the Dao. Early paganists worshiped nature. There are similarities in differences.

Rich
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 03:14 pm
@richrf,
What is the point of saying that evolution 'does not violate the laws of physics'? It is like saying that chess 'doesn't violate the law of gravity'.

Furthermore, nothing that Dawkins has ever said is really in conflict with the type of philosophical theism that Spinoza advocated. Substitute 'God or Nature' for 'Universe' and nothing in Dawkins contradicts Spinoza, does it?

---------- Post added 09-15-2009 at 07:23 AM ----------

The other thing I notice about evolution-as-cause-of-everything is that it is the one instance in science where the absence of a cause, and the absence of a purpose, is held up as a theory. Biological philosophy always seems to proceed by denying that life has a cause, purpose, or reason, so if it appears to have these, it must be an illusion. However it does not really present an account for why life appears to be so coherent. Conversely, you don't have to be a theist to see that certain principles, proportions, ratios, and so on, appear again and again throughout every level of existence. If neo-darwinism amounts simply to the insistence that everything happens 'without reason', it sacrificies considerably more than fidelity to the Hebrew bible; it also sacrifices some of the basic principles which have always informed Western philosophy. In fact, I wonder whether at the end of the day, Dawkins 'philosophy' is actually rational.

---------- Post added 09-15-2009 at 07:32 AM ----------

because the whole model of Dawkin's God as 'uber-designer' or 'great architect' is in itself a completely misleading anthropomorphism. What if 'the hand of God' or 'the grand design' is just encoded in the very fabric of the Universe from the instant of creation in such a way that it spontaneously gives rise to life, intelligence, where the conditions are suitable? This is very much in keeping with the Platonist understanding of Deity. Meanwhile, however, there is no 'God' there to be found in any explicit sense. Everything is just the manifestation of the same underlying Logos which appears everywhere in the Universe. So when Dawkins says 'where is the evidence', the response is 'it is all a matter of interpretation'. If you see it the right way, the universal order is itself of divine origin. But you won't see it because you hate religion.

If religion was as Dawkins understood it, then I would certainly agree with him.
richrf

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 05:31 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;90172 wrote:
What is the point of saying that evolution 'does not violate the laws of physics'? It is like saying that chess 'doesn't violate the law of gravity'.

I agree. Really, what does gravity have to do with evolution?

jeeprs;90172 wrote:
Substitute 'God or Nature' for 'Universe' and nothing in Dawkins contradicts Spinoza, does it?

I had the same observation. God reveals itself in the Universe.

jeeprs;90172 wrote:
In fact, I wonder whether at the end of the day, Dawkins 'philosophy' is actually rational.

I really don't know what to call it. He starts off by saying that Evolution is the Universe at work, giving the Universe a very God-like feel to it. No different than Spinoza's God or the God that Einstein spoke of. So, if this is rational then so be it. But it doesn't feel any more rationale than any other belief system I have run across. It is just acceptable for the scientific community because the word God is not used.

jeeprs;90172 wrote:
Everything is just the manifestation of the same underlying Logos which appears everywhere in the Universe. So when Dawkins says 'where is the evidence', the response is 'it is all a matter of interpretation'. If you see it the right way, the universal order is itself of divine origin. But you won't see it because you hate religion.

I agree. This is just another way to put the same idea out there, but using different words. Heraclitus said all is in flux. Evolution says things evolve. It is the same, only we may be looking at different things. Heraclitus was looking at the clouds, the oceans, the wind. Scientists are looking at galaxies and microbes.

jeeprs;90172 wrote:
If religion was as Dawkins understood it, then I would certainly agree with him.

And many belief systems are very similar. Ancient Pagans worshiped Nature. And why not?

Rich
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 10:37 pm
@richrf,
Well actually, paganism may be fashionable again, but the term actually means 'spiritually unenlightened'.

As is Dawkins. And I think all that he has proved through all of this lunging and flailingis that (1) he attributes far more to Darwin than Darwin himself ever would have dreamed of claiming credit for (2) he hates religion, or rather, is only able to discern the very worst things about it and (3) he doesn't understand philosophy in the slightest.

But I think it is clear the whole 'new atheism' debate is becoming passso time to move on.
prothero

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 10:50 pm
@richrf,
It si kind of interesting that biologists seem to have adopted determinism en mass and point to physics for justification.
At the same time the physicists are beginning to have doubts (about determinism that is).

It is in some sense not rational to adopt in theory (determinsm) that which one denies in practice or which contradicts what must be presupposesd in practice (some form of free will). The same could be said for denying several other assumptions of hard core common sense notions we all employ in the process of living. In some sense then Dawkins position is not rational.
0 Replies

richrf

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 11:14 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;90215 wrote:
Well actually, paganism may be fashionable again, but the term actually means 'spiritually unenlightened'.

As with everything, ancient forms of paganism has many definitions. Here is one that is similar to many of the sites that I have researched:

Paganism Beginnings

"1) religious and spiritual practices concerning the worship of, or devotion to, the earth, the natural world, and/or the manifest physical universe; and/or 2) belief in spiritual beings: goddesses, gods, nature spirits (fairies, elves, power animals), and ancestral spirits. Not all expressions of Paganism incorporate both of these characteristics; it is possible to be a nature mystic without worshiping the goddesses or the gods, and vice versa.
"

Normally,

---------- Post added 09-15-2009 at 12:18 AM ----------

prothero;90218 wrote:
It si kind of interesting that biologists seem to have adopted determinism en mass and point to physics for justification.
At the same time the physicists are beginning to have doubts (about determinism that is).

Einstein, for one, had lots of problems with Quantum Physics, because it shattered Einstein's ideas of determinism. Einstein posed the EPR Paradox in order to question the possibility of non-local action that Quantum Physics seemed to suggest. As it turns out, Bell's Inequality Equation and subsequent experiments that tested it, do in fact suggest that there has to be either separability or non-local action. Both of which shatter the notion of determinism.

Rich
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 11:37 pm
@richrf,
Dawkins himself often says that the success of evolutionary theory means you didn't have to believe in God any more, the reason being that prior to the discovery of evolution, it was hard to account for the complexity of organisms, and so the 'argument from design' was very convincing, whereas evolutionary theory has shown that complexity evolves over time and that every creature can therefore have evolved as a result as natural selection.

But saying that natural selection disproves the Biblical meaning of 'creation' is based on an understanding very much like that of creationism or intelligent design. Where creationists or intelligent designers try and prove the 'existence' of God through pointing to scientific evidence, biologists try and 'disprove' His existence on the same basis. However it is interesting to note that the Catholic view of the creation doctrine (and I am not writing as a Catholic apologist) does not support the creationist/intelligent design view, and so has never ever really been affected by the biological view. In fact, the mainstream Churches have in general never subscribed to the vulgar creationism that Dawkins seems to think characterises all Christianity. This was understood by the liberal intelligentsia within the Church many centuries ago. (But there are many kinds of thinkers within the churches.)

Quote:
"Those who are worried about conflict between faith and reason on this issue fail to distinguish between cause in the sense of a natural change of some kind and cause in the sense of an ultimate bringing into being of something from no antecedent state whatsoever. "Creatio non est mutatio," says Thomas [Acquinas], affirming that the act of creation is not some species of change. So, the Greek natural philosophers were quite correct: from nothing, nothing comes. By "comes" here is meant a change from one state to another and this requires some underlying material reality, some potentiality for the new state to come into being.
This is because all change arises out of a pre-existing possibility for that change residing in something.

Creation, on the other hand, is the radical causing of the whole existence of whatever exists. To be the complete cause of something's existence is not the same as producing a change in something. It is not a taking of something and making it into something else, as if there were some primordial matter which God had to use to create the universe. Rather, creation is the result of the divine agency being totally responsible for the production, all at once and completely, of the whole of the universe, with all it entities and all its operations, from absolutely nothing pre-existing.

Strictly speaking, points out Thomas, the Creator does not create something out of nothing in the sense of taking some nothing and making something out of it. This is a conceptual mistake, for it treats nothing as a something. On the contrary, the Christian doctrine of creation ex nihilo claims that God made the universe without making it out of anything. In other words, anything left entirely to itself, completely separated from the cause of its existence, would not exist-it would be absolutely nothing. The ultimate cause of the existence of anything and everything is God who creates, not out of some nothing, but from nothing at all.

In this way, one can see that the new science [i.e. Aristotleanism] of the thirteenth century, out of which our modern science developed, was not a threat to the traditional Christian doctrine of creation. To come to know the natural causes of natural beings is a different matter from knowing that all natural beings and operations radically depend on the ultimate cause for the existence of everything: God the Creator. Creation is not a change. Creation is a cause, but of a very different, indeed unique, kind. Only if one avoids the Cosmogonical Fallacy, is one able to correctly understand the Christian doctrine of creation ex nihilo."
Source
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2009 02:36 am
@richrf,
Well, one man's sage is another man's pagan.:bigsmile:

Just noticed this priceless quote in that Dawkins piece you referred to:

Quote:
What is so special about life? It never violates the laws of physics. Nothing does (if anything did, physicists would just have to formulate new laws-it's happened often enough in the history of science).

How convenient! How marvellous! Doesn't violate the law, but if it did - BINGO - we'll just change it! From the well known philosophical principle of Argumentum Ad Hoc. So flexible! Especially useful when establishing principles of absolute fact, like the origin of life. Kind of like intellectual putty.

---------- Post added 09-15-2009 at 07:51 PM ----------

Quote:
Making the universe is the one thing no intelligence, however superhuman, could do, because an intelligence is complex-statistically improbable -and therefore had to emerge, by gradual degrees, from simpler beginnings: from a lifeless universe-the miracle-free zone that is physics.

I wonder how could any biologist could reduce biology to physics? What are the equations that describe the emergence of intelligence from matter? Which science do they belong to? Do any of the philosophers on this forum believe that this is a defensible hypotheses?

---------- Post added 09-15-2009 at 08:02 PM ----------

I don't think Dawkins understands 'intelligence' in the way that the Greeks did. The 'primary intellect' was able to cognize the Forms because it was 'cut from the same cloth', so to speak.

Whereas if intelligence is just the outcome of a process of natural selection, then we have no reason to believe that it might tell us anything true about the universe, only what helps us to survive. In which case there is no particular reason to favour this hypothesis over any other.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2009 04:52 am
@richrf,
And finally, the denoument. Dawkins has finally started to get the drift of the Armstrong criticism:

Quote:
"Now, there is a certain class of sophisticated modern theologian who will say something like this: "Good heavens, of course we are not so naive or simplistic as to care whether God exists. Existence is such a 19th-century preoccupation! It doesn't matter whether God exists in a scientific sense. What matters is whether he exists for you or for me. If God is real for you, who cares whether science has made him redundant? Such arrogance! Such elitism."

Well, if that's what floats your canoe, you'll be paddling it up a very lonely creek. The mainstream belief of the world's peoples is very clear. They believe in God, and that means they believe he exists in objective reality, just as surely as the Rock of Gibraltar exists. If sophisticated theologians or postmodern relativists think they are rescuing God from the redundancy scrap-heap by downplaying the importance of existence, they should think again. Tell the congregation of a church or mosque that existence is too vulgar an attribute to fasten onto their God, and they will brand you an atheist. They'll be right.

So here, he is (1) misunderstanding the difference between 'reality' and 'existence' and (2) then appealing to the very believers he has labelled as 'deluded' to turn them against the 'sophisticated theologian' (the hypocrisy is exquisite).

Well I am one of those 'sophisticated theologians'. I don't believe for a moment that a God exists, anywhere. I can definitely say, with no fear of rebuttal, that there is no such thing as God. So I guess that makes me an atheist. The issue I have, though, is that there is also nothing in the realm of experience or perception which is self-existent. Nothing exists independently of causes and conditions, and without being related to something else. Therefore the existence of any particular is derived. If all is existence is derived, and there is nothing that it is ultimately dependent upon, then nothing ultimately exists. If nothing ultimately exists, then this argument means nothing, as do all of Dawkins, Darwin, or anyone else.

I think I will leave it there.
richrf

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2009 06:49 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;90256 wrote:
So here, he is (1) misunderstanding the difference between 'reality' and 'existence' and (2) then appealing to the very believers he has labelled as 'deluded' to turn them against the 'sophisticated theologian' (the hypocrisy is exquisite).

Hi,

I think the thing about the Dawkins essay is he distilled the argument of evolutionary biologists into a rather short piece without the big words and fancy experiments - and what was left was nothing, other than Spinoza's God. If nothing else, he clarified his position.

Rich
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2009 06:57 am
@richrf,
Well I would love to agree with you, except that the subject of the essay is not actually evolutionary biology, about which Dawkins will know more than you or I or anyone here is ever likely to.

The subject of the essay is actually not evolutionary biology, it is theology and philosophy, and it is clear that about these subjects he knows very little.
richrf

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2009 07:09 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;90287 wrote:
The subject of the essay is actually not evolutionary biology, it is theology and philosophy, and it is clear that about these subjects he knows very little.

It's both I think, as the title to Dawkins' essay is: Evolution leaves God with nothing to do.

So, basically, he is arguing that there is no need for God, since he has substituted the word universe for God, and evolution is the work of the universe (God). He then goes on to support evolution with a burst of scientific sounding stuff including the how life is explained by the laws of physics.

I realize this is a mess, but it is Dawkins' mess, so I am not going to try to make heads or tails out of it.

Rich
0 Replies

prothero

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2009 04:22 pm
@richrf,
Karen Armstrong, I think conceeds far too much.
Her essay could be read as saying that "god,Tao,Brahman,etc." are entirely human constructs and that religion is a form of psychotherapy for man trying to deal with the awful truth (i.e. there is no transcendent purpose or value).

Dawkins on the other hand conceeds far too little.
Promoting a vision of reality in which everything (subjective experience and material properties) will be explained and eventually predictable according to the laws of physics. Although he does not dwell on the apparent or possible indeterminism in current physics he basically promotes a mechanistic and deterministic view.

My own view would be that our conceptions of the divine are and must change over time just as our conception of the universe and how it operates changes. Religion must be willing to change just as science changes on the basis of our changing worldviews and conceptions.

Our notions can at best approximate the truth (correspondence). But just as our explanations at the material world seem to more closely approxiamte truth so can our notion of spiritual reality come closer to truth. It is one thing to abandon supernatural forms of theism it is quite another to diminish the divine to an entirely human consturction which has no other basis in existence, truth or reality than what man inbues it with.

To loose all notions of transcendent value and purpose that are part of the conception of the divine is a great loss indeed. "God is dead" stirkes at the heart of human ideals and values. Reason alone does not bring transcendence and science does not create ethical values.
richrf

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2009 08:34 pm
@prothero,
prothero;90423 wrote:
Karen Armstrong, I think conceeds far too much.
Her essay could be read as saying that "god,Tao,Brahman,etc." are entirely human constructs and that religion is a form of psychotherapy for man trying to deal with the awful truth (i.e. there is no transcendent purpose or value).

Dawkins on the other hand conceeds far too little.
Promoting a vision of reality in which everything (subjective experience and material properties) will be explained and eventually predictable according to the laws of physics. Although he does not dwell on the apparent or possible indeterminism in current physics he basically promotes a mechanistic and deterministic view.

I agree. They both delivered essays that were palatable for the Wall Street Journal audience and their own academic colleagues.

Rich
0 Replies