Dawkins on Evolution

Zetherin

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 05:32 pm
@richrf,
I might be being ignorant here, but what other interpretations of evolution are there besides the one Aedes noted, rich?

I really don't think it's as open-ended definitionally as you're making it out to be. I think you may misunderstand people because they don't use terms like "allele", which is a specific, scientific word. Instead, people laxly use "creature", "species", "organism", "gene" (I'd argue that while this is a scientific term, it's widely used), or other such layman terms. Still, as Aedes notes, it reduces to the same process.

Here's wikipedia's layman definition: "The change in the genetic material of a population of organisms from one generation to the next"

If we try to interpret from Aedes' definition:

"population of organisms" = "population"
"genetic material" = "allele"
"the change" = "frequency change"
"from one generation to the next" = "as a function of time"

Where's the difference?
Aedes

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 06:54 pm
@richrf,
richrf;92835 wrote:
Well, I guess the thread is still open. Now for the expansions. You see, it is going to be really difficult to get a clear idea of what evolution is
Nah. If I want to talk about Darwin's finches in 2009 terms, then I'll be looking at the genetic and embryologic correlates of their phenotypic differences and their common genetic background -- and this leads back to differential genetic change over time in different subpopulations. It all leads back to population genetics and how they change over time, and I don't think you can find an exception to that.

richrf;92835 wrote:
In order to placate every little view that some scientist might have, we have to leave it open-ended.
I'm not sure what you're talking about here, but if you're talking about non-scientific musings of scientists when they write essays for the Wall Street Journal, then you're no longer talking about evolution anyway.

---------- Post added 09-22-2009 at 08:56 PM ----------

Zetherin;92841 wrote:

Where's the difference?
I highlighted this to clarify one thing. You need to keep "allele frequency" together. This is an expression of the prevalence of certain genotypes in a population. So if brown eyes is B and blue eyes is b, one population is 80% b and 20% B, but over time they become 50% B and 50% b, then this is a change over time in the frequency of these two alleles.
Zetherin

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 08:32 pm
@richrf,
Aedes wrote:
I highlighted this to clarify one thing. You need to keep "allele frequency" together. This is an expression of the prevalence of certain genotypes in a population. So if brown eyes is B and blue eyes is b, one population is 80% b and 20% B, but over time they become 50% B and 50% b, then this is a change over time in the frequency of these two alleles.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification.

Would an appropriate but crude analogy be:

B is fins
b is flat feet
X is species

Initially most of the population of X has b, but over the course of time, the majority of the population develop B (in this case, for adaptation purposes). The allele (I assume a type of gene) has changed over time, or, is it not that the allele changes, but rather that b is "phased out"? B begins to be the dominant allele and the organism is said to have evolved.

I know I'm basically reiterating what you've said, but I want to make sure I'm on the right track. Also, spelling it out will help everyone in the thread, I think.
richrf

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 08:50 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;92841 wrote:
I might be being ignorant here, but what other interpretations of evolution are there besides the one Aedes noted, rich?

I really don't think it's as open-ended definitionally as you're making it out to be. I think you may misunderstand people because they don't use terms like "allele", which is a specific, scientific word. Instead, people laxly use "creature", "species", "organism", "gene" (I'd argue that while this is a scientific term, it's widely used), or other such layman terms. Still, as Aedes notes, it reduces to the same process.

Here's wikipedia's layman definition: "The change in the genetic material of a population of organisms from one generation to the next"

Where's the difference?

As I said, if this is it, then this is it. I am not concerned with synonyms, I am only interested in so-called reducible ideas. I am quite comfortable with the sentence as it stands and any synonyms that someone wants to use.

Rich
Zetherin

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 08:51 pm
@richrf,
richrf;92875 wrote:
As I said, if this is it, then this is it. I am not concerned with synonyms, I am only interested in so-called reducible ideas. I am quite comfortable with the sentence as it stands and any synonyms that someone wants to use.

Rich

Oh, well, then, I think this discussion is over.
0 Replies

richrf

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 08:53 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;92854 wrote:
I'm not sure what you're talking about here, but if you're talking about non-scientific musings of scientists when they write essays for the Wall Street Journal, then you're no longer talking about evolution anyway.

While I think that Dawkins would take exception to your statement, I certainly wouldn't and he can fight his own battles. Personally, I am comfortable with a simple phrasing (and any elemental synonyms). It is quite clear what you consider to be evolution. Now, whether other scientists would agree - as I said, that's not my prob.

So, we have a working definition, I think.

Rich

---------- Post added 09-22-2009 at 09:54 PM ----------

Zetherin;92876 wrote:
Oh, well, then, I think this discussion is over.

Well, others may have something to say, but as for myself, I think I have made the points I wanted to make and what's more, as an added bonus, I have a working definition for evolution for future reference.

Rich
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 09:03 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;92873 wrote:
Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification.

Would an appropriate but crude analogy be:

B is fins
b is flat feet
X is species

Initially most of the population of X has b, but over the course of time, the majority of the population develop B (in this case, for adaptation purposes). The allele (I assume a type of gene) has changed over time, or, is it not that the allele changes, but rather that b is "phased out"? B begins to be the dominant allele and the organism is said to have evolved.
Yeah, that's basically right.

The complicating factor when you apply it to real world genetics, of course, is that most traits are polygenic, and worse yet the genes that do one thing also do 100 other things too in different tissues. Just look at the brutally complex interactions between the clotting cascade, the complement cascade, and the bradykinin cascade, and it becomes very difficult to make a pure model of a gene/trait relationship.

Alleles, by the way, are 'versions' of a given gene (like Brown vs blue). There may be many versions of certain genes, each of which occur at different frequencies in a population. Furthermore, there are two copies for every somatic gene and most (but not all) sex chromosome genes in diploid organisms, and whether a given genotype (BB vs Bb vs bb) results in a given phenotype depends on their relative dominance (which can be in itself determined by different genes that have a regulatory role). Ugh.

Finally, allele frequencies may be unstable and change over time -- Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium is a quadratic model of how gene frequencies will eventually stabilize in the absence of other influences (like selection and nonrandom mating).

---------- Post added 09-22-2009 at 11:07 PM ----------

richrf;92877 wrote:
While I think that Dawkins would take exception to your statement, I certainly wouldn't and he can fight his own battles.
There's a slice of science in what he writes, but it's dumbed down for a newspaper audience (remember -- 5th grade reading level) and it isn't beholden to evidence. I'm sure he's a smart guy and knows the difference between that and other communications on the subject.

richrf;92877 wrote:
whether other scientists would agree - as I said, that's not my prob.
I would find it hard to imagine disagreement with this except perhaps in small technical ways. An ecologist who is interested in evolution may be very focused on phenotype and its role in an ecosystem -- but the underpinning of biology is cellular function and this is mediated by genetics. And so is evolutionary biology -- it's one arm of genetics.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 09:47 pm
@richrf,
Aedes, that's more information than I can wrap my head around at the moment! I'd really need to do my research in order to have an understanding of the context, the bigger picture. Thanks for the great explanation though; I think it has benefited all those reading.

Rich, I'm glad we've all come to an understanding, and I'm glad you've left with a practical definition of evolution. My understanding is definitely clearer now, too!
Aedes

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 10:03 pm
@richrf,
Glad it was helpful -- please let me know if you'd like me to rephrase any of it. I'm exhausted and I'm working on stuff in other windows so I just noticed that I didn't define terms well. We are diploid, two copies of each chromosome.
0 Replies

Dave Allen

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2009 02:33 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;92883 wrote:
Aedes, that's more information than I can wrap my head around at the moment!

If it might help I think a real world example would be the work of a Russian geneticist (name escapes me right now - EDIT: Dmitri Belyaev) who was selecting Russian silver foxes for tameness.

He used something called "flight time" to determine their tameness - so he would approach a group of foxes whilst they were feeding and those who ran away last he would breed from for his next experimental group.

After a few generations the foxes no longer ran away when humans approached them, but some other changes had occured too, such as the foxes developing piebald coats and floppy ears.

So it seems that the genes governing "flight time" may well have also influenced the shape of the foxes ears and the colour of the coat.

And this might corrolate to a hypothesis about many breeds of dog - who have, in comparison to wolves, piebald coats and floppy ears.

Now there are some objections to the experiment. Some animals just become tamer due to having more human contact than others, and perhaps subconsciously or consciously the scientists were somehow bias in favour of doglike foxes. There might also be hormal factors involved that make the genes' influence less direct (though still valid, I think obviously). But the success of other geneticists in recreating his results might demonstrate how genes governing a particular characteristic of an organism might also influence quite different things as well.

There is a nice wiki page on the experiment here:
Domesticated silver fox - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 11:34 pm
@richrf,
part of the whole point of religious faith is that you can't prove God, and shouldn't need to. That is why it is called 'Faith'. Although it is true there are a lot of bone-headed, idiotic things done for what people call 'faith'. But as the saying goes, you can legislate against stupidity.

Dawkins is just pathologically theophobic, that is all there is to it.

Meanwhile check out this article. It is where the cartoon came from. I don't agree with the philosophical point, but I like the humour and it contains some interesting observations. Also the site it is on is really interesting.

http://neuroanthropology.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/jesus-vs-darwin.jpg?w=300&h=225
Mr Fight the Power

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2009 07:43 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;94198 wrote:
part of the whole point of religious faith is that you can't prove God, and shouldn't need to. That is why it is called 'Faith'.

But this definition of faith is decidedly different than religious faith.

I cannot fundamentally prove anything since my faculties eventually conflict and defy themselves (ultimately I cannot accept my faculties to prove the voracity of my faculties).

Dawkins (and I) hold the position that has already acknowledged such doubt and moved on to attempt to show that religious faith is unjustified, even where such epistemological faith is justified.

The most concise rebuttal I could provide would be this: Faith is reserved for what is not proven, rather than for what is not disproven.

Quote:
Dawkins is just pathologically theophobic, that is all there is to it.

There is far, far more to it than that.
0 Replies

Dave Allen

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2009 09:16 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;94198 wrote:
Meanwhile check out this article. It is where the cartoon came from. I don't agree with the philosophical point, but I like the humour and it contains some interesting observations. Also the site it is on is really interesting.

I think it reinforces something that I've been considering recently in the wake of this particular conversation, that when you observe a tree, or a bird, or a blade of grass, you are looking at a literal relation.

Which is a more emphatic comment on the oneness of things than I think can be found in any religion.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2009 11:05 am
@richrf,
Mr. Fight the Power wrote:

Dawkins (and I) hold the position that has already acknowledged such doubt and moved on to attempt to show that religious faith is unjustified, even where such epistemological faith is justified.

Can you expound on this position?

Why does religious faith have to be justified? And if we are to assign these descriptions, justified and unjustified, what exactly do we mean when we do so? Are we speaking purely from a formal epistemic logic standpoint? You must be if you're using justified in the same sense you're using justified in application to epistemological faith.

Keep in mind when reading I do understand your distinction between religious faith and epistemological faith (which ultimately, like you say, is all we can go by). This has begged the question to what sort of justification you're attempting to show religious faith doesn't have. If you're attempting to show that religious faith isn't abiding by standards of correct reasoning (by whatever method), I would say it's a waste of time.

---------- Post added 09-29-2009 at 01:12 PM ----------

Dave Allen wrote:

I think it reinforces something that I've been considering recently in the wake of this particular conversation, that when you observe a tree, or a bird, or a blade of grass, you are looking at a literal relation.

A literal relation? As opposed to a figurative relation?
Dave Allen

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2009 12:56 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;94272 wrote:
A literal relation? As opposed to a figurative relation?

Just using the word as an exaggerative, really. She's a real woman, he's a true scotsman - that sort of thing.
Zetherin

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2009 01:04 pm
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;94297 wrote:
Just using the word as an exaggerative, really. She's a real woman, he's a true scotsman - that sort of thing.

Ah, I still don't understand. What is a real, true, literal relation? What does "I'm looking at a literal relation" mean? What is being related? I don't know what you mean. Excuse my ignorance if you've explained this elsewhere; I haven't read the entire thread.
0 Replies

Dave Allen

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2009 01:09 pm
@richrf,
Ah right, I get you.

What I mean is that if people like Dawkins, Shubin, Darwin, Gould et al are right about the general way evolution can be applied to natural history, as I think they are myself, then you are a distant cousin of grass and maggots and fungi and bears and butterflies and so on.

A literal relation.
0 Replies

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2009 02:12 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;94272 wrote:
Can you expound on this position?

Why does religious faith have to be justified? And if we are to assign these descriptions, justified and unjustified, what exactly do we mean when we do so? Are we speaking purely from a formal epistemic logic standpoint? You must be if you're using justified in the same sense you're using justified in application to epistemological faith.

Keep in mind when reading I do understand your distinction between religious faith and epistemological faith (which ultimately, like you say, is all we can go by). This has begged the question to what sort of justification you're attempting to show religious faith doesn't have. If you're attempting to show that religious faith isn't abiding by standards of correct reasoning (by whatever method), I would say it's a waste of time.

First off, justification is everything. It is a key component of consciousness. If you wish to act, speak, or think without justification, you exist in arbitrary random world, and you might as well turn in your person card right now.

Ultimately, there is absolutely no justification to religious belief if founded in revelation. As I mentioned before, we cannot trust our own faculties to show their own voracity. This defies the basic rules by which we understand things.

This is precisely why we have science and more abstractly universal logics of reason and grammar. We have to break the arbitrary nature of subjectivity. With science we define phenomenon and describe the steps for recreating and observing phenomenon, with the understanding that repeated observation by others increases the likelihood of our holding a correct true belief. This is justification, at least what we can make for ourselves. With arguments, we have universal rules of logic that allow us to say "Your argument cannot be true" or "my opinion is true because this is true and this follows from this from this". Again we have bridged the arbitrariness of subjectivity and moved closer to a broader and more reliable objectivity.

Religious observations and arguments completely defy the confines of science and logic and therefore are entirely arbitrary.

"God exists" is no more tied to reality than "Napolean's ghost lives in my TV." Argue that I am wrong on the latter statement, and that much will be apparent.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2009 02:25 pm
@richrf,
Mr. Fight the Power wrote:

This is precisely why we have science and more abstractly universal logics of reason and grammar. We have to break the arbitrary nature of subjectivity. With science we define phenomenon and describe the steps for recreating and observing phenomenon, with the understanding that repeated observation by others increases the likelihood of our holding a correct true belief. This is justification, at least what we can make for ourselves. With arguments, we have universal rules of logic that allow us to say "Your argument cannot be true" or "my opinion is true because this is true and this follows from this from this". Again we have bridged the arbitrariness of subjectivity and moved closer to a broader and more reliable objectivity.

I completely agree with this.

Quote:
Religious observations and arguments completely defy the confines of science and logic and therefore are entirely arbitrary.

There are many thoughts, concepts, and beliefs which would fall into the same category. Love, justice, empathy, the taste of food, nearly all qualia experiences, etc.

The fact that something cannot be evaluated through the scientific method or a method of correct reasoning (logic), does not mean that that thing is unimportant, meritless, or meaningless.

Quote:
First off, justification is everything. It is a key component of consciousness. If you wish to act, speak, or think without justification, you exist in arbitrary random world, and you might as well turn in your person card right now.

Justification is not everything, at least not in the context of logical analysis, as you seem to be using it. Many people have acted, spoken and thought about a multitude of things and didn't always hold justification for believing or thinking such. Heck, this is the basis of creative thought. Clearly not everything must be evaluated through the rigors of a logical method. That's absurd. Every novel of fiction known to man would be wiped from the earth!

Please correct me if I'm misinterpreting.
Mr Fight the Power

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2009 05:11 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;94308 wrote:
There are many thoughts, concepts, and beliefs which would fall into the same category. Love, justice, empathy, the taste of food, nearly all qualia experiences, etc.

The fact that something cannot be evaluated through the scientific method or a method of correct reasoning (logic), does not mean that that thing is unimportant, meritless, or meaningless.

I could not agree more. At no point did I reference importance or merit, as these are merely subjective measures. Love, justice (to some arguments), empathy (if we ignore behavioral evolution), and tastes (I'm gonna leave out qualia, cause that is another argument altogether) are totally arbitrary, however. These are not statements about the world, rather statements about the mind. If christians wish to alter the statement "God exists" to the statement "I am inclined to believe that God exists", I will have no argument.

If God is forever relegated to being a preferred taste, I will cease to doubt his followers.

Quote:
Justification is not everything, at least not in the context of logical analysis, as you seem to be using it. Many people have acted, spoken and thought about a multitude of things and didn't always hold justification for believing or thinking such. Heck, this is the basis of creative thought. Clearly not everything must be evaluated through the rigors of a logical method. That's absurd. Every novel of fiction known to man would be wiped from the earth!

Please correct me if I'm misinterpreting.

It is true that the abstract capabilities of the human mind are important.

All I meant to say is that, in order to be an intentional human being, that is a person, one must first have intent. If one has intent, then presumably, one has a goal. If one has a goal, then presumably one has a personal justification for desiring that goal.

Basically, we are persons if and when we can answer the question "Why did you do that". Otherwise we are automatons.