What is intelligence?

HexHammer

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 05:19 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;160284 wrote:
Another definition is a Buddhist one - intelligence is the ability to make distinctions.

Both these definitions, or notions, capture something about the capacity to make judgements or distinctions. I think this is something particular to intelligence, as distinct from just 'consciousness' or 'perception' or even 'awareness'.
I largly agree, but why are some highly intelligent scientists so clumsy with poor motor skills, when they'r so extremly intelligent?
0 Replies

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 05:25 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;160268 wrote:
Thouht it was quite clear now for 3 decades that IQ test only really test 1-2 of our intelligences, it doesn't test rethorics, motor skills, observation skills, preception skills ..etc.

ability to change

---------- Post added 05-05-2010 at 04:30 AM ----------

Pepijn Sweep;160290 wrote:
ability to change

MIND@>matters not if black or white
color full Earth

Horus Foto !>

Hermes
Hathor
Beseth
Seth
Bes

Ge-feliciteerd
0 Replies

Descartes

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 08:10 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;160284 wrote:
actually I will chip in here with a concrete suggestion which is not TOO vague.

I recall reading once that the derivation of the word 'intelligence' is from 'inter leger' or 'between lines'. So it is an ability to make inferences or judgements, to understand the significance of what is being seen.

Another definition is a Buddhist one - intelligence is the ability to make distinctions.

Both these definitions, or notions, capture something about the capacity to make judgements or distinctions. I think this is something particular to intelligence, as distinct from just 'consciousness' or 'perception' or even 'awareness'.

Your right in the sense that intelligence comes from making judgements and distinctions, but to make that distinction you must first make a perception based on the matter in front of you. So simplistically our intelligence comes from what we perceive than in our conscious state of mind we make an inference into what that perception is which in-turn makes us aware of the judgement we are about to make. So yes both these quotes are true but to a certain extent, but i do agree with what your saying.
0 Replies

coolie13

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 09:10 am
@rhinogrey,
I totally agree with you, this is basically the same thing as saying man cannot exist without anything, he needs substance,he needs to be pulled...it doesnt matter which direction. Man wants to or needs to(subservient to will) makes those connections cause without it,he falls flat on his back.
0 Replies

peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2011 11:11 am
@Yogi DMT,
Hmmm quick question. Let me set up a scenerio. A person got to a car accident and part of his brain was damged. He now lives in a world created by his mind. He has no concept of reality. Would there any be anything in that scenerion that fits the defenition of Intellegence? Its there any intelegence in that person?
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2011 11:27 am
@peter jeffrey cobb,
The operativeness of Intelligence is as valid in an internal scenario as in an external one...given we can have and simulate many personality´s in our own mind the interactions may just well be as complex in both mediums...
Not pragmatic ? It is...if it works it works...to whom ? in itself even if it kills you...
0 Replies

north

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 10:16 pm
the want to know , experience , observation , question , criticize , reason , emotion , survive , expression , understand , truth , honest , practible and the understanding that you could be wrong at moments with your thinking , see it and admit it ( all in NO particular order )

survive with sanity , balanced
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 12:57 am
Intelligence is mainly the rare ability one has, while under the pernicious influenza agency, to seat down, relax, and fully enjoy without complains an Hollywood soap opera in 3D HD...
0 Replies

permoda12345

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 10:40 am
@Yogi DMT,
intelligence is knowing the great wide world inside the small world inside me .
I look into myself to start and raise thoughts . tests or school works are considered to be a part of my intelligence .
0 Replies

north

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 12:14 am
@Yogi DMT,
Yogi DMT wrote:

When i here the phrase intelligence quotient what comes to mind is the brain power to use logic to figure out various problems, ideas, ect. But i can't really pinpoint what defines a person's intelligence.

Is intelligence real? Does it classify a person's will to expand their thinking? A person can study very hard in school but still not do well, on the other hand, a person can barely do any work in school but somehow do great on all the tests.

For me at least, this concept is very hard to grasp. and i was wondering what eeryones defines intelligence as.

intelligence is based on the amount of time one has to dwell upon a ology

the more time you have , the more possibilities there are , and therefore the more complex things become

the less time you have to dwell , the less complex things are , the simpler things are

both are true

intelligence is applied
0 Replies