What is intelligence?

gone

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 05:57 am
@sneer,
sneer;72086 wrote:

In order to navigate, only knowledge is needed.
In order to be happy or successful in life you don't have to be intelligent.

---------- Post added at 02:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:53 PM ----------

I think happiness requires emotional intelligence. And I think 'intelligence' is a very fluid/non-tangible concept which attempts to describe a combination of things. Knowledge can be one of these things
William

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 07:03 am
@gone,
gone;71673 wrote:
Hmmm, well. Having annoyingly read the thread title only, I draw the conclusion that intelligence is like a means of navigation.

Allow me to explain: Imagine for a moment you are sailing the world's oceans in a boat. Along your voyage you encounter obstacle after obstacle and it's down to you to circumnavigate your way to your destination [death].

Therefore you need something to base your boat's manouveres on in order to tackle these obstacles. Like a virtual map which displays all these obstacles in real time. For the purposes of this analogy I'd suggest a map. However in reality we use our minds/intellectual capacity.

So it follows that intelligence is like a freeform instruction manual/map and we can draw upon the relative concepts it provides us with in order to make a succesful journey through life...or we can just waste it.

Great post, I you don't mind let me use another analogy. Intelligence is one's ability to "swim" by diving into the "pool of the past" and removing or masking the impurities there. There are many who can't swim and stay out of the pool or venture with a "life preserver" which allows us to tread water as we become accustom to those "impurities" we have "covered up" and learn to survive with them as we fail to dive deep enough. We create remedies for the impurities of which we can only guess because we are not meant to dive deep for it is hard to navigate as the pool becomes darker and deeper. So rather than solve the problems of the impurities we clorinate the pools which does not eliminate the impurity, it just allows us to aimlessly swim in the pool as it gets darker and deeper. IQ defines ones ability to swim in all that impurity and try and make sense of it so we can survive in the pool.

William

PS:
To borrow and alter a well known quote from Robert Frost:

The woods (pool) are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep
gone

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 03:29 pm
@William,
William;72693 wrote:
Great post, I you don't mind let me use another analogy. Intelligence is one's ability to "swim" by diving into the "pool of the past" and removing or masking the impurities there. There are many who can't swim and stay out of the pool or venture with a "life preserver" which allows us to tread water as we become accustom to those "impurities" we have "covered up" and learn to survive with them as we fail to dive deep enough. We create remedies for the impurities of which we can only guess because we are not meant to dive deep for it is hard to navigate as the pool becomes darker and deeper. So rather than solve the problems of the impurities we clorinate the pools which does not eliminate the impurity, it just allows us to aimlessly swim in the pool as it gets darker and deeper. IQ defines ones ability to swim in all that impurity and try and make sense of it so we can survive in the pool.

William

PS:
To borrow and alter a well known quote from Robert Frost:

The woods (pool) are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep

Hmmm :detective:
0 Replies

sneer

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 11:11 pm
@gone,
gone;72677 wrote:
I think happiness requires emotional intelligence.

and does emotional intelligence (whatever it is...) need knowledge?
0 Replies

parker pyne

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 11:43 pm
@Yogi DMT,
Well, according to all the IQ tests I've taken, intelligence is the ability to rotate polygons with my mind's eye.
sneer

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 01:48 am
@parker pyne,
parker pyne;73539 wrote:
Well, according to all the IQ tests I've taken, intelligence is the ability to rotate polygons with my mind's eye.

...according to IQ test I've did (only one...) I'm half-idiot.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 02:18 am
@Yogi DMT,
Inter-leger: 'to read between', to make judgements on basis of what is experienced

Buddhist definition: intelligence is the ability to discriminate.

Sanskrit 'Viveka' for 'discernment' is very close to this meaning.
0 Replies

nameless

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 02:26 am
@Yogi DMT,
Yogi DMT;62291 wrote:
What is intelligence?

It is what qualifies you to do a particular job.
I hire people intelligent enough to do a particular job, whether janitor or head of research. It's just the ability to do a particular job.
It isn't necessarily a hierarchy, but can be a lateral spread.
0 Replies

urangutan

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 06:55 am
@Yogi DMT,
Almost there Nameless. It is what helps you do your job or task at hand, better. Who and what ever you are.
0 Replies

markymark phil

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 05:13 pm
@Yogi DMT,
Wot do yoo meen.

Sorry that was awful humour
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 04:45 am
@Yogi DMT,
Yogi DMT;62291 wrote:
When i here the phrase intelligence quotient what comes to mind is the brain power to use logic to figure out various problems, ideas, ect. But i can't really pinpoint what defines a person's intelligence.

Is intelligence real? Does it classify a person's will to expand their thinking? A person can study very hard in school but still not do well, on the other hand, a person can barely do any work in school but somehow do great on all the tests.

For me at least, this concept is very hard to grasp. and i was wondering what eeryones defines intelligence as.
Hard school study does not eliminate naivity nor making you able to judge what is relevant and not, less making you see the conjunction of things, but sees them individually.

School preaches perfection in all things, when in real life imperfection will do.

Knowledge by itself, does not make you more intelligent, only more knowledable, only by being smart enough to use the knowledge then you are wise.
Being able to solve problems without any forknowledge, is being intelligent.
0 Replies

DAC

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 12:48 pm
@Yogi DMT,
One way I look at thinking is you can either think with your left side or your right side, or you could use you hole brain or you could look at detail, but you can not do everything at once all the time.

I think from a practical point of view there can not be much difference in intelligence between one person and another.
We all take in around the same a mount of information and we are ether doing something or organizing, I believe are brains never turn off. So the only way one person could be more intelligent than another is time and size which doesn't really work as well.
You could make your self seem more intelligent is by organizing your brain in a similar manor to the person testing for intelligence but that would just make you similar and that may not be clever.
I recently read that once you have an IQ over 115 motivations become more important to achieving.
0 Replies

Descartes

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 12:41 am
@William,
Intelligence is nothing that can be measured on a scale intelligence is gained through thinking, intelligence has nothing to do with being smart or doing well on tests because there rating an immeasurable form because our intelligence is in our mind not of that of a physical entity so they can never truely measure to any degree what our intelligence because no one knows what intelligence is, what we perceive as intelligence is just that of another mans bias on his take of what he thnks it should be so there will never be any definitive answer because there is no answer to it all, but to think for yourself and to understand and perceive the world around you is true knowledge but the only fact that we should know is that there is no fact, our mind is way to complex to be measured by numbers and theories they will never be able to fully grasp the capabilities that our mind can reach but we have been bred to completely shut off our mind to that of a true reality beyond this existence of an imperialistic point of view, so we will never grasp what intelligence because we just don't know and know can say that they know it, for there only deceiving them self of what they really need to gain and that is to introspect on your mind and aself and gain an understanding of what your perception is of that of our mind in a perfect stuck in a world of imperfect shapes.
jeeprs

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 01:29 am
@Yogi DMT,
Consider separating your texts into sentences and paragraphs.

This will make your posts much easier to read.
0 Replies

TuringEquivalent

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 02:17 am
@Yogi DMT,
Yogi DMT;62291 wrote:
When i here the phrase intelligence quotient what comes to mind is the brain power to use logic to figure out various problems, ideas, ect. But i can't really pinpoint what defines a person's intelligence.

Is intelligence real? Does it classify a person's will to expand their thinking? A person can study very hard in school but still not do well, on the other hand, a person can barely do any work in school but somehow do great on all the tests.

For me at least, this concept is very hard to grasp. and i was wondering what eeryones defines intelligence as.

From my experience, only the most conceded ape put importance to "intelligence". The question is not "what the **** is it?", rather, "why the **** should i care".
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 02:59 am
@ Descartes ,
_Descartes_;158693 wrote:
Intelligence is nothing that can be measured on a scale intelligence is gained through thinking, intelligence has nothing to do with being smart or doing well on tests because there rating an immeasurable form because our intelligence is in our mind not of that of a physical entity so they can never truely measure to any degree what our intelligence because no one knows what intelligence is, what we perceive as intelligence is just that of another mans bias on his take of what he thnks it should be so there will never be any definitive answer because there is no answer to it all, but to think for yourself and to understand and perceive the world around you is true knowledge but the only fact that we should know is that there is no fact, our mind is way to complex to be measured by numbers and theories they will never be able to fully grasp the capabilities that our mind can reach but we have been bred to completely shut off our mind to that of a true reality beyond this existence of an imperialistic point of view, so we will never grasp what intelligence because we just don't know and know can say that they know it, for there only deceiving them self of what they really need to gain and that is to introspect on your mind and aself and gain an understanding of what your perception is of that of our mind in a perfect stuck in a world of imperfect shapes.
Oooh, so Sarah Palin wasn't stupid? We all was just mistaken and wrong about her?

We already have good study of intelligences we have ~12 main intelligences, but are divided into many sub-areas.

It is very difficult to messure intelligences, because there are so many specilizations, that it would be very difficult to categorize each unique speiclization.

I remember that in my class in school was a jazz drummer and a rock drummer, each was very good, but couldn't adapt to eachothers kind of drumming as it would rely on different algorithms, even though their setup was identically.
Jebediah

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 11:23 am
@HexHammer,
I don't believe in the multiple intelligences theory. It changes the definition of intelligence, and the guy who came up with it seems to have an axe to grind about it being unfair to say certain people aren't intelligent.

It seems more intuitive that there is a kind of general intelligence, and that people who have more of it become better at math, or writing, or reading, than people who have less of it. Similar to how you can be athletic, and become better at football or soccer or basketball than someone who isn't athletic.
HexHammer

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 11:34 am
@Jebediah,
Jebediah;159010 wrote:
I don't believe in the multiple intelligences theory. It changes the definition of intelligence, and the guy who came up with it seems to have an axe to grind about it being unfair to say certain people aren't intelligent.
Rubbish, the first serious mapping of intelligence began in the years of Vietnam war, where war casualties, often soldiers with brain damage, such as fragments and projectiles had damage different areas of the brain.

The siencetist learned that we had ~9 major intelligences which later would expand to ~12.

Over the years there has been various attempt to map the brain, but I can't remember of the current most regarded form.

Jebediah;159010 wrote:
It seems more intuitive that there is a kind of general intelligence, and that people who have more of it become better at math, or writing, or reading, than people who have less of it. Similar to how you can be athletic, and become better at football or soccer or basketball than someone who isn't athletic.

Out of faulty memory it's:

- matemathic
- lingual
- empathy
- motor skills
- spacial
- grammar
- music
- rythmic
- orating
- artistic
- combinatory

..and somene else I can't remember ..but whatever ..u get the idea.
0 Replies

prothero

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 12:09 pm
@Yogi DMT,
Quote:
What is intelligence?

Well we have tests that "measure" your "intelligence quotient".
In fact they measure a few intellectual skills which correlate only loosely with ones actual accomplishments or contributions to the world.
Descartes

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 02:45 pm
@prothero,
First off sorry about my last post it was 3am and i was tired, it all kind of ran together. Anyway, now to answer the sarah palin question, how you see someone as stupid and how i see it our two completely different realms. your still basing your perception of knowledge from another man, dont look at it like that, understand that there can be no test in the world that can ever show true intelligence in the terms i am speaking on behalf of. Im not trying to convince but rather have you question what you think you know. Intelligence is beyond that of a simple definition of word with a man bias twist on it. Intelligence is just that of thinking beyond your ordinary boundary. Because we can fathom elements of life that are immaterial and not of that of sense of imperialism, that shows that our minds intelligence is beyond what we simply call thinking outside of the box. Consequently for that very reason you can never measure intelligence because you cannot measure the mind, its not seen with any perception of sense but we perceive it with a notion of thought and consciousness, thats why no one is stupid or dumb every single person has the choice to be truly " intelligent" or whatever you may call because we have thought, some people just choose, consciously or unconsciously, to utilize their mind in that aspect of thinking for them self, and not that of conformity and uniformity to put a standard on what another man perceives as intelligent.