What is intelligence?

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 12:27 pm
When i here the phrase intelligence quotient what comes to mind is the brain power to use logic to figure out various problems, ideas, ect. But i can't really pinpoint what defines a person's intelligence.

Is intelligence real? Does it classify a person's will to expand their thinking? A person can study very hard in school but still not do well, on the other hand, a person can barely do any work in school but somehow do great on all the tests.

For me at least, this concept is very hard to grasp. and i was wondering what eeryones defines intelligence as.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 7,687 • Replies: 69
No top replies

Kaynafshar

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 09:09 pm
@Yogi DMT,
"I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing. ..." `~~Socrates
0 Replies

Yogi DMT

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 09:26 pm
@Yogi DMT,
Lol, ellaborate?
0 Replies

rhinogrey

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 11:08 pm
@Yogi DMT,
Intelligence is subservient to the will. It is the 'creative' capacity for drawing causal connections between distinctions in your environment and reaching conclusions about the relations thereof. In this way it has an evolutionary function.
BrightNoon

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 05:14 pm
@rhinogrey,
In human terms, intellligence is the ability to understand the present in terms of the past: i.e. to define the present, visceral experience in terms of the memory of past experiences. More generally, intelligence is the ability to categorize or organize something external in terms of the internal structure: with external and internal referring to whatever 'thing' is in question.
Paggos

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 05:12 pm
@BrightNoon,
Intellect in it's own is a process in which in the hippocampus we mainly learn from amounts of glucose. These amounts are genetically influenced, and it can be based on where you come from. The less amount of glucose you put out, the less energy you put out to learn that aspect, therefore, you learn easier, and faster. If you really value what you do and or learn, you will prevail, genetics won't seek you otherwise.
0 Replies

KaseiJin

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 07:16 am
@Yogi DMT,
Something seems to be slightly amiss there, Paggos. The hippocampus is active primarily in laying down long-term memory, rather than for intelligence (which is surely dependent upon memory, but not that alone).
0 Replies

William

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 07:44 am
@rhinogrey,
rhinogrey;62607 wrote:
Intelligence is subservient to the will. It is the 'creative' capacity for drawing causal connections between distinctions in your environment and reaching conclusions about the relations thereof. In this way it has an evolutionary function.

It seems to me that would difine wisdom, wouldn't it? Perhaps you are corredt, in that i am having difficulty in understanding what subservient to will means.
William
0 Replies

Extra Gravy

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2009 07:44 am
@Yogi DMT,
I feel like that definition could keep going to outline the general categories of phenomena and help us organize the more specific answers, so that we could hopefully show how they are related. Ideas anyone?
0 Replies

William

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2009 07:58 am
@Yogi DMT,
Could it have anything to do with an innate ability to "recognize"? The innate ability to learn that which is set before us as if it is "somehow familiar" such as what one might call "de ja vu processing"? Just a thought.
William
meditationyoga

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2009 03:25 pm
@Yogi DMT,
I can only say that the whole seems to be the only intelligence, or what defines intelligence. Hard topic.
0 Replies

Poseidon

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2009 05:36 pm
@Yogi DMT,
Intelligence is the ability to solve entirely new problems.
Being able to apply a formula has little to do with such capacity.
Being able to derive a new formula is far more important.

Many IQ tests, can be studied for, and they have thus lost their capacity
to test intelligence. Increasingly, they only test memory.

A good test would be to place the person in a group of people that use
an entirely unknown language, and then see how long it takes them
to be able to communicate effectively.

Or : create an entirely original computer game, that has never been seen before.
Or : write a novel about your entire life.
0 Replies

Teena phil

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2009 06:29 pm
@Yogi DMT,
I belive it has to do with what one can do with the information that "comes in". I've always imagined this as a sort of a juice maker. The more new material the person can "squeeze out" after "loading in" some sort of knowledge/experience/etc in the brain, the more intelligent the person is. It's a process of entering something new and the ability to process it and get some sort of a (new) conclusion, thought process or idea. For example some people need that a given experience happens to them 5 times in order to get out some sort of a personal conclusion out of it, some people need to experience it only once to make the same conclusion, and others need to only read/hear about it/imagine the situation/etc to be able to get a result. The depth of this"result" is also important.

Of course there are many different ways to understand inteligence, this is just my idea of it.
0 Replies

sneer

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 07:05 am
@Yogi DMT,
In order to define the intelligence I need to define 'framework' and - as distincting notions - put the definition in a sequence with knowledge and wisdom.

The framework I'd define as: multi-pattern physical space; rules managing the Chaos; time you have to spent on the Earth; limited number of humans you are or you will be in relation with; the machine called body that carries your mind; the way your mind is working; thousands of artificial systems your're part of, you're using or you have to respect; biosphere and so on.
On the other side there is your mind, that acts within the framework and interacts with it and other entities.

Having above defined it's much more simple:
Information about this framework is knowledge, gathered by the process of education and cognition.
Intelligence is smart and efficient dealing with entities within the framework and emerges by creating relations between 'knowledges' of different areas.
Wisdom needs both wide knowledge, sharp intelligence and experience as well, but is rather a way of living than a state of mind.
0 Replies

Dearhtead

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 02:48 am
@Yogi DMT,
Yogi DMT;62291 wrote:
When i here the phrase intelligence quotient what comes to mind is the brain power to use logic to figure out various problems, ideas, ect. But i can't really pinpoint what defines a person's intelligence.

Is intelligence real? Does it classify a person's will to expand their thinking? A person can study very hard in school but still not do well, on the other hand, a person can barely do any work in school but somehow do great on all the tests.

For me at least, this concept is very hard to grasp. and i was wondering what eeryones defines intelligence as.

For me an intelligent human knows one thing, he knows that God is.
sneer

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 03:28 am
@Dearhtead,
Dearhtead;71335 wrote:

only one thing?
sorry for being not intelligent for you.
Dearhtead

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 03:45 am
@sneer,
sneer;71337 wrote:
only one thing?
sorry for being not intelligent for you.

Heu I think God is sufficient to know to live in a a good way.
gone

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 05:18 am
@Dearhtead,
Hmmm, well. Having annoyingly read the thread title only, I draw the conclusion that intelligence is like a means of navigation.

Allow me to explain: Imagine for a moment you are sailing the world's oceans in a boat. Along your voyage you encounter obstacle after obstacle and it's down to you to circumnavigate your way to your destination [death].

Therefore you need something to base your boat's manouveres on in order to tackle these obstacles. Like a virtual map which displays all these obstacles in real time. For the purposes of this analogy I'd suggest a map. However in reality we use our minds/intellectual capacity.

So it follows that intelligence is like a freeform instruction manual/map and we can draw upon the relative concepts it provides us with in order to make a succesful journey through life...or we can just waste it.
Extra Gravy

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 05:55 am
@Dearhtead,
Dearhtead;71335 wrote:

So you are saying that there are no unintelligent believers in god?

How do you even remotely consider that statement philosophy?
0 Replies

sneer

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 06:53 am
@gone,
gone;71673 wrote:
Hmmm, well. Having annoyingly read the thread title only, I draw the conclusion that intelligence is like a means of navigation.

attractive, but my understanding is slightly different.
if you'd like to see my post, it's a knowledge level and not intelligence, neither wisdom.
In order to navigate, only knowledge is needed.
In order to be happy or successful in life you don't have to be intelligent.

---------- Post added at 02:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:53 PM ----------

Extra Gravy;72068 wrote:
So you are saying that there are no unintelligent believers in god?

How do you even remotely consider that statement philosophy?

Hey, I think this guy missed the category of the thread. It's not about religion.