Five Ways Obama Can Redeem His Nobel Prize

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2009 02:08 am
I should like to call your attention to this article that appeared in Salon Magazine by Juan Cole. A link is here:
Nobel Peace Prize - Salon.com

I thoroughly agree with this blog. It is short and sweet.

I could have quoted it but the link will provide you with the ideas. If you know anybody who knows someone in The White House, perhaps you can push for some implementation of any one of these excellent suggestions.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,099 • Replies: 19
No top replies

kennethamy

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2009 02:17 am
@deepthot,
deepthot;110833 wrote:
I should like to call your attention to this article that appeared in Salon Magazine by Juan Cole. A link is here:
Nobel Peace Prize - Salon.com

I thoroughly agree with this blog. It is short and sweet.

I could have quoted it but the link will provide you with the ideas. If you know anybody who knows someone in The White House, perhaps you can push for some implementation of any one of these excellent suggestions.

Sorry, but unimpressed. But this is not the forum for this discussion.
deepthot

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2009 03:13 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;110835 wrote:
Sorry, but unimpressed. But this is not the forum for this discussion.

You are likely right that some other forum would be more suitable.

Even if the discussion is moved to another site, I still would like to know what it takes to impress you. The point of my reference to this blog by Juan Cole was to get people to be more aware that there is an irony, if not a living contradiction, in Obama getting a peace prize and delivering a speech on Just War theory. He tells us that "there is evil in the world" as if we did not know that. [I am under the impression that war is the very opposite of peace.]

Are "military solutions" really solutions?

What has Barak Obama done really to make peace?

Does anyone here believe he merits a Peace prize?

"Peace" is a concept that should be dear to those concerned with Ethics, for this reason:

Aristotle held that Political Philosophy is Social Ethics. In keeping with that - any good political analysis should have a place for peace, should define it, and show how ethical persons, in their social interactions, would behave peacefully.

At least that's how I look at it.

I would like to hear the views of other readers on this issue.
kennethamy

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2009 03:16 am
@deepthot,
deepthot;110849 wrote:
You are likely right that some other forum would be more suitable.

Even if the discussion is moved to another site, I still would like to know what it takes to impress you. The point of my reference to this blog by Juan Cole was to get people to be more aware that there is an irony, if not a living contradiction, in Obama getting a peace prize and delivering a speech on Just War theory. He tells us that "there is evil in the world" as if we did not know that. [I am under the impression that war is the very opposite of peace.]

Are "military solutions" really solutions?

What has Barak Obama done really to make peace?

Does anyone here believe he merits a Peace prize?

"Peace" is a concept that should be dear to those concerned with Ethics, for this reason:

Aristotle held that Political Philosophy is Social Ethics. In keeping with that - any good political analysis should have a place for peace, should define it, and show how ethical persons, in their social interactions, would behave peacefully.

At least that's how I look at it.

I would like to hear the views of other readers on this issue.

Why not start a new thread in the News forum?

News and World Events
Dewey phil

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2009 04:49 pm
@kennethamy,
I just joined this discussion and must say it's refreshing to find a political discussion group as grown up and civil as you folks.

I think the Salon's ideas of the steps necessary to promote peace are sound. However, the Salon saddles the entire responsibility for accomplishing these steps on Mr. Obama. If there is any "irony" in all this, it is in any assumption that Obama or any other president has such power as to be able to create peace by decree. That, I submit is vastly unrealistic and simple-minded thinking.

This is a democracy. The president is the servant of the people. Does anyone here really believe the people are so disposed presently as to be ready to support the president in his efforts to accomplish those five steps? I doubt it. They seem too uncertain, too confused, and too resentful - too unready for peace. No prize winners, we.

Did Obama deserve the prize? According to the rules, it is to be awarded "to the person who will have done the most or the best work for fraternity between the nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses. Obama, one commentator put it: " has yet to achieve any major breakthroughs on the many international efforts he has undertaken: drawing down U.S. involvement in Iraq and beefing it up in Afghanistan, reaching peace in the Middle East, forcing Iran to forgo its nuclear program, resetting relations with Russia, improving diplomacy with the Muslim world and reducing the world's supply of nuclear arms." OK, not a lot has been finished, but much has had a good start. Is that not the best, most promising work for fraternity between the nations? (In considering your answer, please recall our former president's qualifications for the prize.)
kennethamy

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2009 04:52 pm
@Dewey phil,
Dewey;111035 wrote:
I just joined this group and must say it's refreshing to find a political discussion group as grown up and civil as you folks.

I think the Salon's ideas of the steps necessary to promote peace are sound. However, the Salon saddles the entire responsibility for accomplishing these steps on Mr. Obama. If there is any "irony" in all this, it is in any assumption that Obama or any other president has such power as to be able to create peace by decree. That, I submit is vastly unrealistic and simple-minded thinking.

This is a democracy. The president is the servant of the people. Does anyone here really believe the people are so disposed presently as to be ready to support the president in his efforts to accomplish those five steps? I doubt it. They seem too uncertain, too confused, and too resentful - too unready for peace. No prize winners, we.

Did Obama deserve the prize? According to the rules, it is to be awarded "to the person who will have done the most or the best work for fraternity between the nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses. Obama, one commentator put it: " has yet to achieve any major breakthroughs on the many international efforts he has undertaken: drawing down U.S. involvement in Iraq and beefing it up in Afghanistan, reaching peace in the Middle East, forcing Iran to forgo its nuclear program, resetting relations with Russia, improving diplomacy with the Muslim world and reducing the world's supply of nuclear arms." OK, not a lot has been finished, but much has had a good start. Is that not the best, most promising work for fraternity between the nations? (In considering your answer, please recall our former president's qualifications for the prize.)

There has been no discussion, because this topic does not belong here. It belongs on,
News and World Events
Quinn phil

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2009 06:16 pm
@deepthot,
Why have a political branch of philosophy, if we're not allowed to discuss politics?
0 Replies

deepthot

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2009 06:30 pm
@deepthot,
I can discern the topic's relevance to Philosophy of Politics.

Isn't that the subject of this Forum??
Politics is getting people on your bandwagon. If a President stood for peace s/he would get lots and lots of people as enthusiastic followers - who would have a profound sense of relief, and incredulity at first: is this really happening?!!

By peace I don't mean merely an armistice, or cease-fire. I do not mean only the absence of war, but a positive state of affairs. I mean active mediation of conflicts before they get to the point of violence. I mean a strong Cabinet department that works on eliminating spousal and child abuse; and intervenes between juvenile gangs to acheive harmony. I mean, additionally, an organized force prepared to engage in nonviolent direct action, as was happening under the leadership of Dr. Martin L. King.

My new signature is: We have eyes but we do not see. We have eyesight but lack vision.
0 Replies

Dewey phil

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2009 07:24 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;111037 wrote:
There has been no discussion, because this topic does not belong here. It belongs on,
News and World Events

I guess I should have realized that my post might belong in the redundant thread under News and World Events. Still, this thread WAS officially open, and where this thread actually does belong IS arguable. So I don't feel any need to apologise. I just feel sorry for all those folks in the other thread who missed my masterpiece.

Peace!
0 Replies

deepthot

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2009 11:40 pm
@Dewey phil,
Dewey;111035 wrote:
I just joined this discussion and must say it's refreshing to find a political discussion group as grown up and civil as you folks.

Welcome to our Forums !

Yes, Dewey, this is a high-class joint. I too admire the civility that the Top Administrator, Justin, and his kind helpers enforce. We enjoy behaving ethically here.

You argue well and persuasively, and have already made a fine contribution.

It is true that the current U.S. President has had less than a year in office, and that it was G. W. Bush who initiated the give-away to the banks, brokers and re-insurance companies. Obama sure has a lot on his plate -- is it pasta? -- and he inherited a major mess. Still he could have fought for peace harder than he did. He hasn't even hinted that he will do anything in that direction.

The president only proposes; it is Congress that disposes.

To give Obama some credit, there is a heavier emphasis upon diplomacy in his administration. My philosophy of politics stresses an even heavier reliance on diplomacy than I have witnessed so far.

During the Cuban Missile Crisis, which I lived through and remember vividly, Bertrand Russell wrote letters to Khruschev and to Kennedy urging them to be sensible; and I attribute to him (partial) credit for the relatively-stable outcome. The result was good. Why some day we may even recognize Cuba as a nation that exists.

We need Departments of Peace in nations to counter-balance the Departments of War. Our war department is euphemistically-known as 'The Defense Department.'

"Defense" and "Aggression" are two sides of the same coin: often what A calls defense, B calls aggression. Both are true viewpoints.

I agree with Juan Cole that Obama can still redeem himself.
Around the planet the yearning for peace is in the air ...as Bob Dylan's lyrics put it, "It's blowin' in the wind."
kennethamy

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 08:26 am
@deepthot,
deepthot;111122 wrote:
Welcome to our Forums !

"Defense" and "Aggression" are two sides of the same coin: often what A calls defense, B calls aggression. Both are true viewpoints.

"

Oh, I don't know about that. Germany invaded Belgium and Holland in 1940. Belgium and Holland did not invade Germany.
deepthot

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 08:42 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;111218 wrote:
Oh, I don't know about that. Germany invaded Belgium and Holland in 1940. Belgium and Holland did not invade Germany.

That''s why I said "often" instead of "always" in that sentence you quoted from me.

Before Hitler arose there were editorials in the newspapers putting down "reds" and "pacifists" etc. Then there were Brown-Shirts roaming the streets, open ly displaying brutality and gangsterism. Only after that did Hitler rise to power. We need to detect the warning signs early before the next 'hitler' comes along. We need to beware and alert when any group or outfit is violating the dignity or the civil rights of any peaceful minority. The spreading around of the ideas written in Mein Kampf preceded the actual voting in of the man Adolf Hitler.

Will we recognize the danger in time -- when the next Joseph McCarthy type, or Richard Cheney type is sounding off and aiming for power. That is the question.

---------- Post added 12-14-2009 at 09:16 PM ----------

When scanning this blog by Jeffrey Sachs on the topic of the thread, be sure to peruse also the Comments you see as you scroll down to the bottome of the page. The second one listed expresses my thoughts exactly, better than I could have:

Jeffrey Sachs: A Better Strategy for Afghanistan

WE HAVE EYES BUT DO NOT SEE; WE HAVE EYESIGHT BUT LACK VISION.
0 Replies

josh0335

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 09:08 am
@Dewey phil,
Dewey;111035 wrote:

American Presidents before Obama had the power to start wars and convince the population to jump on-board by decree. There's no reason why the reverse cannot be true. It won't happen, I know, but the power is there if a President chooses to use it.
Dewey phil

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 09:33 am
@josh0335,
josh0335;111509 wrote:
American Presidents before Obama had the power to start wars and convince the population to jump on-board by decree. There's no reason why the reverse cannot be true. It won't happen, I know, but the power is there if a President chooses to use it.

Hi josh:

I spoke of the power to bring peace, not to start war. But I do agree with you on the war thing. People are easy to scare and hard to pacify..
Deckard

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 10:00 am
@Dewey phil,
Regardless what the Nobel committee says awarding the prize to Obama was a tactical move intended to influence his future actions. (Well, that's what I think anyway.) There's an opportunity cost to awarding the prize this way. Some other more worthy person does not get the prize. It's worth taking a little time to become aware of those who were favored to receive the award such as Sima Samar and Hu Jia. One of these people could have gotten the global recognition that they deserved and with this global recognition comes a great deal of support that can lead to further change through that person.

So I guess my point is that the question is not whether Obama can redeem the prize but whether the Nobel committee can redeem itself...and I'd have to say "No". The deed is done. Obama walked off the stage with a peace prize after making a speech about how necessary and justified his war is. It is Orwellian to say the least.
josh0335

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 01:37 pm
@Dewey phil,
Dewey;111516 wrote:
Hi josh:

I spoke of the power to bring peace, not to start war. But I do agree with you on the war thing. People are easy to scare and hard to pacify..

I can't think of a President ever trying to bring peace. How can we know the American people are hard to pacify if the President never tries to make peace?
0 Replies

Dewey phil

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 03:28 pm
@Deckard,
Deckard;111523 wrote:
Regardless what the Nobel committee says awarding the prize to Obama was a tactical move intended to influence his future actions. (Well, that's what I think anyway.) There's an opportunity cost to awarding the prize this way. Some other more worthy person does not get the prize. It's worth taking a little time to become aware of those who were favored to receive the award such as Sima Samar and Hu Jia. One of these people could have gotten the global recognition that they deserved and with this global recognition comes a great deal of support that can lead to further change through that person.

So I guess my point is that the question is not whether Obama can redeem the prize but whether the Nobel committee can redeem itself...and I'd have to say "No". The deed is done. Obama walked off the stage with a peace prize after making a speech about how necessary and justified his war is. It is Orwellian to say the least.

There's a tendency, I believe, for some of us to think that a political leader can and should direct every action and every word to the achievement of peace -- almost like one of those sign-carrying citizens on the street corner. It's not that easy. The route to peace has many detours. To judge a leader's ultimate direction, we must look at all he does and says, at the context of his every action and word, and at the influence of his other duties and aims.

I've tried to do more of that and, on that basis, continue to share the Nobel Committee's admiration of Obama's peace efforts.

But maybe you're right. Maybe there is someone more deserving of the prize. You mention Sima Sumar and Hu Jia. (The nominations are kept secret, but Hu Jia is known to have been a nominee.) Those two people certainly deserve international recognition for their work in human rights, but I doubt that's what the peace prize is for..

Who would have been a better choice? French President Nicolas Sarkozy has been mentioned. How about him, or does someone have a better choice? If so, please explain why he or she is more deserving.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 04:06 pm
@Dewey phil,
Dewey;111516 wrote:
Hi josh:

It is easy to scare people by blowing up two skyscrapers in a big city. Those New Yorkers are just fraidy-cats!

---------- Post added 12-15-2009 at 05:09 PM ----------

Dewey;111568 wrote:
There's a tendency, I believe, for some of us to think that a political leader can and should direct every action and every word to the achievement of peace -- almost like one of those sign-carrying citizens on the street corner. It's not that easy. The route to peace has many detours. To judge a leader's ultimate direction, we must look at all he does and says, at the context of his every action and word, and at the influence of his other duties and aims.

I've tried to do more of that and, on that basis, continue to share the Nobel Committee's admiration of Obama's peace efforts.

But maybe you're right. Maybe there is someone more deserving of the prize. You mention Sima Sumar and Hu Jia. (The nominations are kept secret, but Hu Jia is known to have been a nominee.) Those two people certainly deserve international recognition for their work in human rights, but I doubt that's what the peace prize if for..

Who would have been a better choice? French President Nicolas Sarkozy has been mentioned. How about him, or does someone have a better choice? If so, please explain why he or she is more deserving.

How about the nuclear bomb? It has kept us from a large war for nearly 70 years. That is why Strategic Air Command had the motto, "Peace is our business".
deepthot

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 03:10 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;111576 wrote:
------ Post added 12-15-2009 at 05:09 PM ----------
How about the nuclear bomb? It has kept us from a large war for nearly 70 years. That is why Strategic Air Command had the motto, "Peace is our business".

That is strictly your interpretation, Ken. It is not mine. Peace is the road to real peace: measures to reduce the edge of heated disputes before they result in violence are steps on the road to peace. PEACE IS THE WAY.

A Department of Peace working in cooperation with a national Peace Instiiujte and with the State Department, and with our U.N. embassador is in our immediate self-interest. We should set one up. There is an effort underway in the House, with many co-sponsorss but not one senator has yet sponsored a parallel bill. Perhaps that last-mentioned fact explains in part the findings of the surveys mentioned in this link, which everyone here may find to be of keen interest:

Check it out.

I mentioned the U.S. Congress in my previous post; this news bulletin is about the standing in the mind of the public of the two houses of congress. We urgently need campaign finance reform. Two states have it now and it is working fine there: Maine and Arizona. Massachusetts had it for a while but then the state legislature noticed that it reduced their opportunities for corrupt behavior, and they revoked it !!
0 Replies

deepthot

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 02:57 am
@deepthot,
In regard to Obama's "new" strategy for Afghanistan, Ted Voth wrote this:

"The fatuity continues...

The only strategy Afghans will settle for is immediate withdrawal.

What British strategy would have pleased us in 1776?
0 Replies