It All Happened Before!

EmperorNero

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 03:00 pm
@Sorryel,
Sorryel;96337 wrote:
WEll...none of the stuff in this thread is particularly true. The Huns didn't knock out Rome, Rome and its alllies beat the Huns (Chalons 451 IIRC) and Byzantium lasted for 800 years after the Arab thing and China had no trouble with the Huns...indeed the only Chinese record of people who seem to be Huns is that they drove them away.
So if anything is repeating, its errors about actual events.

Rome did of course beat the Huns at Chalons. But even after that, a Hunnic invasion of Italy followed. That too wasn't when the Romans were conquered. It was however the Huns that influenced the Germanic invasions that ultimately did conquer the western empire. Had the Huns just stayed in Asia, the history Roman Empire would have been different.
The muslim invasion of the eastern empire did last longer, but it was Arabic invaders that defeated it as a major power and ultimately conquered Byzantium itself.
As for your point that China had no trouble with the Huns, that's not accurate. The Huns, or at least their predecessors or near relatives, were the reason the Chinese built the great wall. After which the Huns turned to Europe and caused before mentioned incidents with the Roman empire.
The Han empire fell not unrelated to this outside pressure.
The Huns not only invaded India, they conquered and ruled it.

I don't really want to stress this. I wrote this thread with too little time, and didn't make the points clearly.
I liked your response in my other thread, where a response will take some consideration.

Smile
Sorryel

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 07:01 am
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero;96358 wrote:
The muslim invasion of the eastern empire did last longer, but it was Arabic invaders that defeated it as a major power and ultimately conquered Byzantium itself.
As for your point that China had no trouble with the Huns, that's not accurate. The Huns, or at least their predecessors or near relatives, were the reason the Chinese built the great wall. After which the Huns turned to Europe and caused before mentioned incidents with the Roman empire.
The Han empire fell not unrelated to this outside pressure.

I don't really want to stress this. I wrote this thread with too little time, and didn't make the points clearly.
I liked your response in my other thread, where a response will take some consideration.

Smile

If history is narrated in a arbitrary way, certain elements can be selected that appear to repeat. For example your term "Hun" covers tribes over the biggest landmass on the planet. If you look at the details, there's no repetition. For example, the great wall was built over a very long period and Constantinople first fell to a alliance headed by Venice. So at the level of actual events, there are no repetitions.
0 Replies

Dave Allen

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 07:12 am
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero;96358 wrote:

Not Arabic invaders - the armies that conquered Constantinople were largely Turks in ethnicity. They probably had arabic allies, but they weren't Arabs by and large. The leaders were certainly Turks.
Sorryel

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 07:36 am
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero;92352 wrote:
As the Roman Empire grew, it required more soldiers to patrol its borders and frontiers. This brought a high tax burden on a population that was decreasing because of plague and poverty, dependent of immigration. Likewise, Rome Emperors and the upper classes adopted increasingly luxurious and extravagant lifestyles at the expense of the tax paying citizens. This cause not only great resentment among the lower classes, but the upper classes became more self-centered and less concerned about social and political responsibilities. New artistic and cultural styles were not being created. People came to view life as futile and meaningless. Weakened politically, economically, culturally, and psychologically, the Roman Empire no longer had the strength or the desire to fend off the Germanic invaders.
As the empire started to weaken, farmers and laborers clustered around powerful regional landowners to whom they surrendered full allegiance in return for military protection.

Your narrative is intriguing, but essentially none of what it narrates actually occurred.
For example, after 500 the eastern part of the empire under Justinian was able to defeat any barbarians it encountered and the Hagia Sophia was built, so new cultural forms were emerging.
There's also no sign of increasing luxury since Nero's Golden house was probably the peak of luxury and that happened 1400 years before the Empire finally was no more (and less than 100 years after Octavian set up the Imperial regime).
The fractioning of political authority probably peaked in the west in about 1000 AD, long after the Empire had been re-established as the Holy Roman Empire, so the narrative of people who "surrendered allegiance" actually belongs to a world structured by feudalism, not by tribal federations such as dominated the west in say 600 AD.
0 Replies

EmperorNero

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 03:16 pm
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;96876 wrote:
Not Arabic invaders - the armies that conquered Constantinople were largely Turks in ethnicity. They probably had arabic allies, but they weren't Arabs by and large. The leaders were certainly Turks.

True enough, and I stand corrected on the 'Arabic' part. But the emphasis was on muslim invaders. And more importantly the concept that I wanted to convey was that it was invaders from outside civilization that were invading and ultimately defeating the classical civilizations.
It shouldn't so much be the details, but the idea, that I want you to notice.

---------- Post added 10-12-2009 at 11:38 PM ----------

Sorryel;96880 wrote:
Your narrative is intriguing, but essentially none of what it narrates actually occurred.
For example, after 500 the eastern part of the empire under Justinian was able to defeat any barbarians it encountered and the Hagia Sophia was built, so new cultural forms were emerging.

When speaking of the downfall of the Roman empire I am referring to the western Roman empire. The east lived on, but I don't really consider it Roman. Nor did it matter much to the western half of Europe what Justinian doing. Nonetheless, both parts were conquered by invaders that had not adopted civilization themselves. So my point sort off remains, that civilization grows extravagant and gets replaced by non-civilized cultures. Civilization in the narrow sense.

Sorryel;96880 wrote:
There's also no sign of increasing luxury since Nero's Golden house was probably the peak of luxury and that happened 1400 years before the Empire finally was no more (and less than 100 years after Octavian set up the Imperial regime).

The Roman emperors lived in extreme personal luxury. Maybe not as bad as Nero, but why compare to the most extreme of them all?

Did you know Michelle Obama has 26 servants?

Sorryel;96880 wrote:
The fractioning of political authority probably peaked in the west in about 1000 AD, long after the Empire had been re-established as the Holy Roman Empire, so the narrative of people who "surrendered allegiance" actually belongs to a world structured by feudalism, not by tribal federations such as dominated the west in say 600 AD.

Same point here. Just because the peak was in another time, doesn't mean that it didn't happen in the time we are speaking of. While I could make some concessions on the last point - the decadence of the emperors being the worst long before the fall of Rome. Not so here. The fractioning of political authority is exactly what happened when Roman central control declined.

I too want to ask you not to put so much emphasis on details, but see the spirit of the idea. Which is civilizations run through a cycle that ends with apathy after which they are invaded by non-civilized cultures.

Smile
Dave Allen

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 04:28 am
@EmperorNero,
Quote:
I too want to ask you not to put so much emphasis on details, but see the spirit of the idea. Which is civilizations run through a cycle that ends with apathy after which they are invaded by non-civilized cultures.

Is that what happened to the Ottoman Turks?

Their empire was carved apart by the 'civilised' west was it not?

Or the late medeival Spanish?

They just sort of faded into insignificance after expensive military blunders, but I don't recall them suffering a subsequent invasion, am I wrong?

What about the British Empire?

We pretty much realised the moral cost of being top dog and so gave most of it back (after some bickering in places). We weren't invaded - haven't been invaded for hundreds of years (some French king did successfully invade after 1066 - but apparently he didn't much like London so buggered off back to Paris, he's pretty much an historical footnote).

In what way was classical Rome more civilised than the Huns, Goths and Vandals* anyway?

They might have erected more impressive buildings - they also fed people to malnourished lions as a form of public entertainment.

I think your torturing this particular metaphore to death. Not only do you not have a very good grasp of what happened to Rome, but you also seem to be suggesting that all empires share it's fate (they do not) and that the US inevitably will if it doesn't do something about the "barbarians" - who you seem to want to label as muslims (my apologies if I am wrong here - but you've not been plainly speaking about whatever issue it is you want to discuss).

The US will certainly cede it's paramount position to another nation. This will probably be China. The reason is that you have tied up so many assets in China and that Chinese people have a strong work ethic and actually manufacture stuff for low wages.

If you're suffering from the thought of loss of paramountcy (and take it from a Brit - it's not really that bad) you should concern yourself with the economic disparity being caused through cedeing so many economic assets and opportunities to China, rather than getting hot under the collar about people who believe in Islam.

*None of whom were Muslims.

Quote:
True enough, and I stand corrected on the 'Arabic' part. But the emphasis was on muslim invaders.

Of course it was - God save us from the Mohammedan rabble, eh?

Not to ignore atrocities committed by Muslims - but westerners have interfered with them far more than they have interefered with westerners in living memory - on aggregate at least.

They blow things up - we leave little pellets of uranium on the ground to warp the next generation of their children.

That's life!
Alan McDougall

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 05:53 am
@EmperorNero,
I think great cultures begin to fail and fall when there is too much power at the top. Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. The people lower down finally get the message say "enough is enough" and eliminate the despots and dictators
Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 06:33 am
@Alan McDougall,
kennethamy;96349 wrote:
Was it the Space Invaders that blew up the Twin Towers? I thought it was Muslims. Am I mistaken?

The people who blew up those towers were Muslim. So what? This in no way makes the case Nero is striving for.

EmperorNero;96358 wrote:
As for your point that China had no trouble with the Huns, that's not accurate. The Huns, or at least their predecessors or near relatives, were the reason the Chinese built the great wall.

That claim is contentious - it may be the case that the Huns who invaded Rome were related to the:
Xiongnu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But there is not sufficient evidence to support this claim. That Mulan movie is not exactly historically accurate.

EmperorNero;96358 wrote:

You want to give a source? I'm a history major, and this claim is certainly outside anything I have ever read or heard.
Khethil

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 06:41 am
@Alan McDougall,
The events in history reflect the decisions, conditions, needs and dispositions of humans and forces involved, across time. That we see familiar themes across the ages only makes sense - after all, we are the same animal facing recurring issues (even if the environment and factors change).

It's a tough nut to crack though, drawing correlations between what happened <in event 1> with what happened <in event 2>. It's a fascinating endeavor to draw comparisons, see their similarities and differences. Of course, we can't ever truly have the whole picture, nor really grasp all the details that culminated in this or that. That's not to say it's not worth the effort though; over time I think the careful examination nets a broader perspective and lessons.

From this view that cloud looks like a bunny. Half a state over it's a blob while 100 miles to the south one can clearly make out a smiley-face. History is like this, viewed from many different angles there are insights to be had. But just as complex as human nature itself is, so is its history.

So yea, it has all happened before - depending on how you look at it.

Thanks
0 Replies

Dave Allen

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 06:54 am
@EmperorNero,
Edit - thought better of it.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 07:01 am
@Dave Allen,
Those conquests are similar in that one people invaded and overpowered another. As with any invasion. However, even a brief study will illuminate significant differences.

As for the Huns being like the Muslims, I do not see the relationship. The Huns were an aggressive, nomadic peoples from the Asian steppes, while the Muslims are, by and large, settled and civilized people from the Middle East and Indonesia who do not typically live by the practice of aggressive military campaigns against neighbors. Further, modern Muslims are not a monolithic group - considering the plethora of Muslim dominated nations, they certainly do not compare to the Hunnish tribal organization.

In other words, it's a forced analogy. As I argued earlier, it would make more sense to compare the US to the Huns, even though this connection is also a bit silly.

The real pattern to examine is the relationship between relatively civilized people and relatively barbaric people - the pattern being that the civilized are overrun by the barbaric.

In the past, it was often the case the invaders were from the Asian steppes (Rome, India several times, ancient Mesopotamia several times, Greece leading to a dark ages, ect). But this is explained by the difficulty of permanently settled agricultural societies on the steppes as compared to the lush river valleys of Mesopotamia and India.
0 Replies

Sorryel

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 07:04 am
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero;96969 wrote:

Smile

Actual events are quite detailed. The idea that civilizations (defined how? The whole med littorial from 3000 BC to 500 AD -- deforestation and erosion could account for most of the decline in carrying capacity in that period, you don't need the notion of "civilization" for that) go through cycles is a self-defining prophecy of the sort that the Aztecs for example as successors to a series of "Tollans" produce. In the days before historians became relatively sophisticated, just about any regime could claim to be the new Rome or the new Tollan or the new Celestial Empire. Now I think most historians realize that these cyclic claims have to do with how regimes define themselves iconographically, not how they are really structured.
If the current US pax Americana resembles anything, it resembles the Empire of Great Britain in the 1920s and 1930s: a shakily democratic industrial regime that is running out of gas. Nothing like any phase of Rome at all except in terms of generating an environmental mess that is likely to have some bad impacts (such as the Romans did with their giant slave-worked farms in the late REpublic and early empire and later by accident when the plague of the 540s left farms abandoned).
0 Replies

EmperorNero

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 10:16 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;97130 wrote:
Is that what happened to the Ottoman Turks?

Their empire was carved apart by the 'civilised' west was it not?

Or the late medeival Spanish?

They just sort of faded into insignificance after expensive military blunders, but I don't recall them suffering a subsequent invasion, am I wrong?

What about the British Empire?

Those were empires, not civilizations. When speaking about empires you would be right, they disappear for lots of reasons. Bu by civilization I mean for example all of contemporary Western civilization, or all of ancient Mediterranean civilization, not just the Romans.
And you would be right in saying that Mediterranean civilization definitely lived on in the eastern Roman empire. But if only half of Western civilization falls, say Europe, wouldn't that be bad enough?

Dave Allen;97130 wrote:
We pretty much realised the moral cost of being top dog and so gave most of it back (after some bickering in places).

A sidenote, but the British didn't give up their colonial possessions out of good will. They simply couldn't afford them after wwII. And they realized that they were more of a detriment than a advantage.

Nothing in world history happens because of the moral implications. :sarcastic:

Dave Allen;97130 wrote:
In what way was classical Rome more civilised than the Huns, Goths and Vandals* anyway?

*None of whom were Muslims.

A civilization is a complex society characterized by dependence upon agriculture, long-distance trade, state form of government, cities and occupational specialization.

Now you have both equated civilization with empires and 'being civilized', I mean something inbetween.
A barbarian is simply someone in a culture outside of civilization.

And I'm not really making a point about Islam here. That's a religion/political ideology, not a culture.

---------- Post added 10-13-2009 at 06:29 PM ----------

Alan McDougall;97138 wrote:
I think great cultures begin to fail and fall when there is too much power at the top. Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. The people lower down finally get the message say "enough is enough" and eliminate the despots and dictators

In my opinion you are partly correct.
Great cultures begin to fail and fall when their ease of lifestyle makes them apathetic.
And in western civilization hedonism is a mass phenomenon.
Sorryel

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 10:31 am
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero;97193 wrote:
Bu by civilization I mean for example all of contemporary Western civilization, or all of ancient Mediterranean civilization, not just the Romans.
And you would be right in saying that Mediterranean civilization definitely lived on in the eastern Roman empire. But if only half of Western civilization falls, say Europe, wouldn't that be bad enough?

By your definition of civilization, Rome never fell since western Europe was never devoid of urban centers after the early Iron Age. There are plenty of cities in Europe that have been continuously inhabited since say 500 BC.

It seems your cyclic idea requires a clear fall, but that these don't ever seem to happen. Half of a fall is "bad enough"?...bad enough for what?
0 Replies

EmperorNero

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 10:54 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;97145 wrote:
That claim is contentious - it may be the case that the Huns who invaded Rome were related to the:
Xiongnu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But there is not sufficient evidence to support this claim. That Mulan movie is not exactly historically accurate.

I don't know that movie.
The historic evidence from that era is not strong, but I believe that the construction of the great wall lead to a general movement of peoples that brought the Huns into western Europe. Remind you that this happened centuries later.
What I am looking at is that the nomadic tribes north of China before the great wall regularly raided the settled Chinese border regions. And after China 'digging in' they lost that source of income, changes which certainly had effects on their neighbors who in turn pushed their neighbors.
Not in a direct movement of one peoples from A to B
Just as it is often said that the Hunnic pressure pushed the Germanic tribes into the western Roman empire.

Didymos Thomas;97145 wrote:
You want to give a source? I'm a history major, and this claim is certainly outside anything I have ever read or heard.

I might have made an error there. I don't think the Huns ever ruled much of India.
But they definitely had a part in the downfall of India as a unified civilization.
It says so on the internet. Wink

History of India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
In the 4th and 5th centuries, the Gupta Dynasty unified northern India. (...) The empire came to an end with the attack of the Huns from central Asia.

The Decline and fall of classical civilizations
Quote:
Interestingly, after the fall of the Gutpas the invading Huns simply integrated into the warrior caste of Hinduism and ruled the regions locally. With the social structure of India intact, much of its culture survived. The ruling warriors, however, had no use for the peaceful and contemplative religion of Buddhism.

---------- Post added 10-13-2009 at 07:07 PM ----------

Khethil;97148 wrote:
The events in history reflect the decisions, conditions, needs and dispositions of humans and forces involved, across time. That we see familiar themes across the ages only makes sense - after all, we are the same animal facing recurring issues (even if the environment and factors change).

(....)

So yea, it has all happened before - depending on how you look at it.

I more and more subscribe to a fatalistic view of history which is driven by geography, not a idealistic view that sees human ideas as the driving force. Your point remains, history looks different depending how we look at it. But less so.

---------- Post added 10-13-2009 at 07:13 PM ----------

Didymos Thomas;97153 wrote:
Those conquests are similar in that one people invaded and overpowered another. As with any invasion. However, even a brief study will illuminate significant differences.

As for the Huns being like the Muslims, I do not see the relationship. The Huns were an aggressive, nomadic peoples from the Asian steppes, while the Muslims are, by and large, settled and civilized people from the Middle East and Indonesia who do not typically live by the practice of aggressive military campaigns against neighbors. Further, modern Muslims are not a monolithic group - considering the plethora of Muslim dominated nations, they certainly do not compare to the Hunnish tribal organization.

In other words, it's a forced analogy. As I argued earlier, it would make more sense to compare the US to the Huns, even though this connection is also a bit silly.

I didn't really make that comparison.

Didymos Thomas;97153 wrote:
The real pattern to examine is the relationship between relatively civilized people and relatively barbaric people - the pattern being that the civilized are overrun by the barbaric.

In the past, it was often the case the invaders were from the Asian steppes (Rome, India several times, ancient Mesopotamia several times, Greece leading to a dark ages, ect). But this is explained by the difficulty of permanently settled agricultural societies on the steppes as compared to the lush river valleys of Mesopotamia and India.

That was the comparison I did want to make. That civilizations with a - as you call it - lush culture get overrun by the lean and mean ones.
Sorryel

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 11:21 am
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero;97200 wrote:

That civilizations with a - as you call it - lush culture get overrun by the lean and mean ones.

Except that what you're describing never happens because without Lushious culture you don't get enough people to overrun anything. What actually happens is that from time to time the elites of a unlushious culture get sucked into a Luschious culture. The basic civilization remains intact and there is some shifting around of the elites involved. This describes the valley of Mexico in the period 1200-1600 AD, the Maya in the Yucatan, China with the Manchus and about 50 minor regime changes in the Mediterreanean littorial over a 3-4000 year period and apparently the Huns and Guptas in India. So I think your great cycle amounts to the simple fact that elites and elite styles change from time to time.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 11:31 am
@Sorryel,
Again, Nero, the tribe involved in the Chinese defensive posturing is not the same as the Hunnish tribe that invaded Rome, nor is that tribe recognized as the one that invaded India. Heck, your own Wiki sources say so.

You might try a history text book next time rather than a strange interpolation of Wiki sources.
EmperorNero

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 11:52 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas, see post #35.

Sorryel;97197 wrote:
By your definition of civilization, Rome never fell since western Europe was never devoid of urban centers after the early Iron Age. There are plenty of cities in Europe that have been continuously inhabited since say 500 BC.

It seems your cyclic idea requires a clear fall, but that these don't ever seem to happen. Half of a fall is "bad enough"?...bad enough for what?

Sorryel;97205 wrote:
Except that what you're describing never happens because without Lushious culture you don't get enough people to overrun anything. What actually happens is that from time to time the elites of a unlushious culture get sucked into a Luschious culture. The basic civilization remains intact and there is some shifting around of the elites involved. This describes the valley of Mexico in the period 1200-1600 AD, the Maya in the Yucatan, China with the Manchus and about 50 minor regime changes in the Mediterreanean littorial over a 3-4000 year period and apparently the Huns and Guptas in India. So I think your great cycle amounts to the simple fact that elites and elite styles change from time to time.

If you call the medieval ages and the political instability in China after the fall of the Han dynasty just 'shifting elites'. Similarly in India and Mesopotamian classical civilization.
I would say those civilizations did fall. A clear fall is near impossible, except if the entire population gets wiped out. The downfall of the stable political system is bad enough for the people who live under it.

And in todays western culture, luxury and hedonism are no longer elite-only concepts with the majority of the population remaining poor peasants, those are a mass phenomenon.
Sorryel

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 12:07 pm
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero;97222 wrote:
Didymos Thomas, see post #35.

If you call the medieval ages and the political instability in China after the fall of the Han dynasty just 'shifting elites'. Similarly in India and Mesopotamian classical civilization.
I would say those civilizations did fall. A clear fall is near impossible, except if the entire population gets wiped out. The downfall of the stable political system is bad enough for the people who live under it.

And in todays western culture, luxury and hedonism are no longer elite-only concepts with the majority of the population remaining poor peasants, those are a mass phenomenon.

Okay so its "bad enough" if there is political instability. So political instability is bad. Political instability is the bad thing that occurs cyclically? How is political instability of the cyclic kind different from political instability of the non-cyclic kind? When the Aztecs were running straight and true and not hedonistically, they ritually sacrificed 50,000 people a year in the name of political stability. Instability in the Aztec Empire was probably better for everyone except the elite.
Now look at the world now. There is no significant instability and everyone is hedonistically happier than ever before. We seem to be far from any cycle involving hedonism and instability.
EmperorNero

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 12:18 pm
@Sorryel,
Sorryel;97232 wrote:
Okay so its "bad enough" if there is political instability. So political instability is bad. Political instability is the bad thing that occurs cyclically? How is political instability of the cyclic kind different from political instability of the non-cyclic kind? When the Aztecs were running straight and true and not hedonistically, they ritually sacrificed 50,000 people a year in the name of political stability. Instability in the Aztec Empire was probably better for everyone except the elite.
Now look at the world now. There is no significant instability and everyone is hedonistically happier than ever before. We seem to be far from any cycle involving hedonism and instability.

I think you took that a little wrong. We were arguing what constitutes a 'fall' of civilization, and you rejected my definitions that it's cultural shift or political change. So I brought up the political instability that followed the fall of the classical civilizations. Of course neither of the three factors alone are the answer. For each of them you could say there are other examples that disprove that factor as single indicator.
Political instability does occur cyclically. Along with political and cultural change. That's what I call the downfall of a civilization. I accredit that to the attributes of civilization. Namely it's populace growing soft.
We may be happy these days, but I'm saying that this is the reason our doom is looming.
Google search the guy in my signature. Smile