Why Islam? Fastest Growing Religion in America

vikorr

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2013 04:49 am
@Setanta,
Thanks for the book reference. I've downloaded it.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2013 04:53 am
@vikorr,
To be honest I don't think that Islam is any more violent than other religions. When violence is perpetrated by a Moslem their faith is focussed on, but when other faiths carry out violence it's largely ignored. The IRA were called Republican or Nationalist terrorists, never Catholic terrorists. If their Catholicism were focussed on instead of their Nationalism we'd probably have a very different view of Catholics. Weren't the Mafia all good Catholics too? How would things go if instead of using the term "mob slaying" they said "Catholic slaying." What if every time a Catholic committed a violent crime the first thing we were told was that they were a Catholic?

I think we'd probably think Catholicism was the most violent religion.

Apologies to Catholics, I am just using Catholicism as an example, you could carry out the same exercise with any religion.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2013 04:56 am
@vikorr,
I second what Setanta said. They've got a very long memory in the Middle East. Another huge bone of contention was the UK/US backed coup in Iran back in the 1950s that deposed a democratically elected government and installed the autocratic Shah.
Setanta

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2013 05:15 am
@izzythepush,
Another long-lasting effect of the 1953 coup against Mohammad Mosaddegh's government is the obsessive hatred of Israel by the Persians. Central Intelligence brought in Israeli agents (the people who are today the Mossad) to set up SAVAK, the Shah's secret police. When relations between the CIA and Iran cooled in the late 1960s and the 1970s, Isreali agents stepped into the breach, and operated--none too discretely--in Iran. They conducted kidnappings, torture and murders. Many of the targets were imams and mullahs. Small wonder that a government run by mullahs has a fixated hatred for Israel.
coldjoint

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2013 09:59 am
@Setanta,
Do you have any sources or we supposed to believe you?
Setanta

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2013 11:31 am
@coldjoint,
No, you're supposed to kiss my red, pimply ass.
coldjoint

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2013 11:41 am
@Setanta,
Why is that? Because you have to admit nothing will change as long it is socially acceptable to defend a backwards and violent religion because they could get violent?

Let me ask you a question:
In a free society if you are scared to openly discuss an element of that society, how free are you are? And does a element even belong in a free society?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2013 11:51 am
Are you so dull-witted as not to understand that this is a free and open discussion? Is your head really that far up your ass?
coldjoint

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2013 11:55 am
@Setanta,
Are you always so arrogant? Or is it just a defense mechanism for your obviously limited knowledge on this subject.\?
Setanta

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2013 11:59 am
@coldjoint,
My knowledge is not limited--it appears to me that you, a snide, vicious son of a bitch, think that free and open discussion can only take place when everyone agrees with you. If they don't agree, then they must be both ignorant, and frightened. Given your track record in the brief time you've been registered here, that seems to be your point of view--"Agree with me, or you're stupid and cowardly."

You're a hell of a piece of work, Bubba.
coldjoint

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2013 12:01 pm
@Setanta,
You are putting words in my mouth. Maybe you can show me how you came to that decision.
You think you can intimidate me, please think again.
Setanta

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2013 12:05 pm
@coldjoint,
No, i wouldn't come within two yards of your mouth--i suspect you'd bite. As for intimidating you, you and your opinions are a matter of indifference to me. If you comment on my posts, especially with insulting remarks, you can expect to get paid in your own coin.
coldjoint

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2013 12:10 pm
@Setanta,
Character assassination will not change the facts about Islam. In fact it makes you look childish.

Quote:
you and your opinions are a matter of indifference to me

Then why are you here?
Setanta

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2013 12:32 pm
@coldjoint,
I am here because i have been talking to relatively reasonable and interesting people . . . then you showed up . . .
coldjoint

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2013 12:36 pm
@Setanta,
Then simply do not talk to me. I do not need your input. and so far you have said nothing anyway.
Setanta

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2013 12:41 pm
@coldjoint,
You showed up to comment on one of my posts, i didn't go looking for you. I can deal with there being cockroaches in the world, but i don't go looking for them. If you have a problem with what you call character assassination (something you've been doing to yourself since you showed up here), then simply do not talk to me.
coldjoint

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2013 12:45 pm
@Setanta,
Go **** yourself. I'm done are you?
Setanta

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2013 12:47 pm
@coldjoint,
Nope, as long as you make any of your nasty remarks to me, i'll reply in kind. Go **** your mother, it you actually have one, you nasty piece of ****.
coldjoint

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2013 12:48 pm
@Setanta,
Amatuer
Setanta

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2013 12:54 pm
@coldjoint,
I suspect you were trying to write the word amateur. So does this mean that you consider yourself to be an expert, foul-mouthed prick?