Judge Moore fired

williamhenry3

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2003 12:44 am
Setanta wrote:
Actually, Alabama already has a governor from the religious right--and he's tellin' 'em that a Christian's duty lies in relieving the suffering of the poor, so he proposed a big tax increase ! ! ! Got shot down in the state house, naturally.[/I]

Setanta<

The first sentence of your post is correct; the second is incorrect.

To set the record straight, Alabama's GOP Gov. Roy Riley proposed the largest tax increase in Alabama's history. To his credit, Gov. Riley successfully saw his tax initiative sail through the Alabama legislature.

When the shiny new tax package left the legislature, it faced a referendum by the voters. Gov. Riley campaigned throughout the state to promote the passing of the tax package.

The voters of Alabama, however, said "no" to the governor's tax initiative. Thus, Gov. Riley concluded, the people of the state had cast their votes for smaller government spending. That is what they are now getting with massive cuts in state funding.

Thus, the already poor state will be even poorer.
0 Replies

Suzette

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2003 06:33 am
Upon returning to this discussion, I immediately thought of this passage from the Declaration of Independence (couldn't say why Rolling Eyes ):

"...But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security..."

http://www.law.indiana.edu/uslawdocs/declaration.html
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2003 11:12 am
Thanks for setting that info out, LW.

I knew most of it already -- but you did an excellent job of summarizing it.

I doubt Roy Moore's move, which I consider enlightened, will help him with the Dems in the Senate.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2003 12:00 pm
Phoenix32890
Quote:
I am pissed. I read this morning that even though he had been suspended since August, he still collected his pay!

One would think he was a school teacher in NY. The only difference they would never have been fired. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2003 04:07 pm
It is the case that Moore can stand again for election to the same position.
0 Replies