DNA and the 'Code of Life'

QuinticNon

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2010 07:05 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;119270 wrote:
The comment was not directed at you or anyone else in particular

No I didn't think so. It just got me thinking that's all.

I often find my presentation accused of being just another ID argument and that is something I adamantly reject. I note a clear difference between ID vs IE. I believe in Intelligent Evolution.

Aedes;119270 wrote:
And what do you consider me? If the answer is a hardcore materialist, then you're wrong.

First and foremost I think of you as Scientist. The beginning of our first discussion a few weeks back did lead me to tag you as Hard Materialistic Atheist, yet your latter comments on that thread suggested much more open mindedness than I previously thought.

You don't outright reject the Sentient Authorship presentation, but wisely seem to leave it open as an unnecessary possibility , whereas I push more for the absolute conclusion. You do argue from the hard materialist position of empirical evidence, but somehow seem to leave it open drawing no hard conclusions either way. I still think you're an Atheist though.
Aedes

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2010 07:09 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;119272 wrote:
the idea that life is 'self generating' is, according to traditional philosophy, irrational, on the grounds that nothing appears which does not have a cause.
Traditional philosophy has also never been able to tell us what caused the first cause, what created the unmoved mover, and where God came from. The argument that God is eternal holds no more logical merit than the argument that the laws of physics are eternal -- less in some ways because at least we can say what we mean when we say 'laws of physics'.

jeeprs;119272 wrote:
I think that many scientific philosophers say that life began 'without cause' because (1) causality as it is understood in the traditional sense is out-of-scope for science and maybe even for the 'modern outlook', and (2) because the scientific view has been shaped by opposition to the previous religious and mythological accounts which did provide a causal account(namely, the divine will).
I don't think this is widely said as such.

Furthermore, all science can say about ultimate causes is 'who knows'. The physical potential was there for things to happen. That's good enough.

Leave the ultimate cause discussion to people who like unending arguments.
QuinticNon

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2010 07:12 pm
@salima,
salima;119271 wrote:
the word immaterial is being used a lot and in my history that always meant 'insignificant' which is not its use here at all.
not made of matter or not physically realas immaterial.Smile

But since you brought it up... I'm always looking for better ways to refine my presentation. Would you suggest I choose another word to illustrate Energy/Matter as Material and Information as Immaterial? Should I say physical and non-physical? Something else?
Aedes

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2010 07:16 pm
@QuinticNon,
QuinticNon;119277 wrote:
First and foremost I think of you as Scientist.
What this comes down to for me is that I know science well enough to know a scientific argument from a nonscientific one -- and science really can't be taken down by argumentation, because it's simply not a domain of argumentation.

We can talk about intelligence all we like, but until this argument can speak the language of science, with objective measures, methodologies, reproducibility, etc, then it's not an argument that can penetrate the scientific understanding of the world.

QuinticNon;119277 wrote:
You don't outright reject the Sentient Authorship presentation, but wisely seem to leave it open as an unnecessary possibility , whereas I push more for the absolute conclusion.
That's fair. I believe it is false, and I believe that there can be no scientific demonstration of it, but I will never rule it out. Why should I?

QuinticNon;119277 wrote:
You do argue from the hard materialist position of empirical evidence, but somehow seem to leave it open drawing no hard conclusions either way.
I only take that position because this is an epistemological issue. We must ask ourselves how we know anything. Evolutionary biology does not use tools that are appreciably different than any other field of life sciences, so the cogency of the theory rests in hard observational evidence and the most parsimonious story that unites it. Philosophical necessity (or lack thereof) of an 'author', however elegant the argument, can't knock at the door of science when it's just argumentation.

QuinticNon;119277 wrote:
I still think you're an Atheist though.
Guess I'd better get back the dues I just paid to our Temple last week then. :whistling:
salima

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2010 07:33 pm
@QuinticNon,
QuinticNon;119279 wrote:

But since you brought it up... I'm always looking for better ways to refine my presentation. Would you suggest I choose another word to illustrate Energy/Matter as Material and Information as Immaterial? Should I say physical and non-physical? Something else?

the pun is cute. i am afraid the lights are going out in a minute, so i will reply later. something came to mind out of the quote you posted.

otherwise, on impulse i would say UNmaterial, coin a new word...but that is really unscientific as well as unnecessary. a better word exists... :BRB:
0 Replies

QuinticNon

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2010 07:43 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;119280 wrote:
..so the cogency of the theory rests in hard observational evidence and the most parsimonious story that unites it.

Me too... In the spirit of "parsimony", I cannot logically refute this Sentient Authorship principle. It is the most elegant solution to me. The code itself is the smoking gun of "observational evidence".

And surprise surprise, I would never have expected you to pay "dues". The joke's on me. I'll have to re-examine my lacking talents in categorizing people.

Now, I must ask. Do you see the difference I have illustrated between I.D. and I.E., or do you believe they are one in the same? I just can't accept all the baggage that comes with Creationism and Intelligent Design. I also see differences in Classic Darwinism and Neo Darwinism. Do you?
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2010 07:52 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;119278 wrote:
Traditional philosophy has also never been able to tell us what caused the first cause, what created the unmoved mover, and where God came from.

Perfectly true. And that is because this matter is not one of hypothesis or argument. The mistake people make is that just because you can use a word for Deity, that it is clear what is being referred to. 'Oh yeah God does this or does not to that..'. But 'first cause', 'unmoved mover' are not just any words or concepts. They are very mysterious indeed. We profoundly, truly and deeply do not know what is the First Cause and the unmoved mover and why God is not created. It is not a matter of somebody withholding information. It hasn't been explained because it can't be, inconvenient though that may be.

---------- Post added 01-12-2010 at 12:55 PM ----------

also apologies in advance where my observations are tangential to the main argument. This is just by way of a commentary on some of the background philosophical issues.
0 Replies

QuinticNon

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2010 08:07 pm
@jeeprs,
God did destroy that tower for it offered men access to the heavens.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2010 10:13 pm
@jeeprs,
Aedes;119278 wrote:
Leave the ultimate cause discussion to people who like unending arguments.

You definitely are black-belt Aedes. No question there. Whenever I make a move I end up on the mat. On the other hand, you are not really representing the arguments that I am attempting to critique.

I think it is perfectly true that for many in the modern age, the idea that life is self-generating or 'arose without cause' is a fundamental part of their outlook. I mean, pretty much the whole of the existentialist movement was predicated on the contingent nature of human existence. Certainly, many of the current proponents of 'the scientific outlook' as a philosophy of life make a lot of the fact that human existence is a matter of contigency. Again, the beliefs that are informed by evolutionary theory inform a certain attitude to life, which is also quite beyond the scope of science as such. Virtually all of philosophy and religion has now been subsumed under evolution by way of being explained by 'adaptive necessity', i.e. 'we evolved these views because they help us to survive'.

None of this is actually within the purview of the actual science. But plenty of people draw these conclusions from it.
salima

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2010 10:47 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;119299 wrote:
You definitely are black-belt Aedes. No question there. Whenever I make a move I end up on the mat.

i'll drink to that...:deflated:

---------- Post added 01-12-2010 at 10:25 AM ----------

i think one of the issues may be that people in the field of science have a wider context in which they are looking at its parts, and someone like me hears something scientific, gets all excited and sees it as having some meaning to their gnostical metaphysical speculations. but that is like looking at a pinwheel and thinking i understand the theory of aerodynamics.

i actually dont have a problem with never knowing what the first or last cause are-or believing that it is that elusive god-concept. either way is fine with me. but the idea of having proof that there is one is kind of exhilarating.
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2010 10:56 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;119299 wrote:
You definitely are black-belt Aedes. No question there.
:flowers:

jeeprs;119299 wrote:
I think it is perfectly true that for many in the modern age, the idea that life is self-generating or 'arose without cause' is a fundamental part of their outlook.
As you sort of mention there is a string of thinkers (not scientists!) probably starting from Spinoza, but certainly from Hume, extending through Nietzsche and through the Existentialists, who from various influences (some scientific, some anthropological, and some speculative), have devalued the traditional Western conceptions of cause, purpose, morality, etc. I don't neglect authors in this either, like Voltaire and Dostoyevsky. Even Shakespeare was definitely a non-philosophical, non-moral, non-religious writer.

Certain people like Newton and Darwin were incredibly central to inspiring this philosophy, but these guys were scientists and not much into dealing with this idea of which you speak.

I know for a fact that within science, in scientific communications, in scientific environments, in scientific forums, people hardly ever talk about this stuff. They regard it as a personal matter, unanswerable, and in the end a fairly unimportant question.

That's how I feel, to be perfectly honest. I do not think that ultimate cause and ultimate purpose are particularly interesting or important questions. Sure, they may be fundamental, but that's not enough to get my wheels turning.

But I am a very congenial, sympathetic guy and I am fully capable of vicariously appreciating the value of such questions in you and in other people I encounter. It's talking to other humans about it that makes this subject interesting to me.

jeeprs;119299 wrote:
None of this is actually within the purview of the actual science. But plenty of people draw these conclusions from it.
You're right about the former. But I don't think that people are drawing these conclusions from science, at least not directly. Here's what I think happens: I think that science undermines religion to some degree, simply because it's so damn obvious. It gives us technology and toys. It gives us a new story every day. And it gives more details.

Because people can pick and choose what they believe, since religion does not tower over everything, certain inclinations like "not everything can be explained" and certainly existentialist leanings become popularized. Throw in postmodernism, our extremely cynical self-image, and you see how idealizations of humans, of reason, and of explanations sort of lose traction in our time.

I don't think science rocks people's world enough to get them to change fundamental beliefs. But culture does, and modern culture's attitudes owe a lot more to what humans do than what humans discover.
salima

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2010 11:13 pm
@QuinticNon,
QuinticNon;119279 wrote:

how about incorporeal? used as a synonym for immaterial, it is defined:
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English incorporealle, from Anglo-French incorporel, from Latin incorporeus, from in- + corporeus corporeal
Date: 15th century
1 : not corporeal : having no material body or form
(from merriam webster online)

yet i fear that too will cause difficulties in understanding. i am not sure myself whether i believe information is not energy...my thoughts are off topic here, but i tentatively concluded there is only one unified isness and has to be composed of the main substance-i think there has to be a substance, even to a dream or a hallucination. i suspected it could be called energy or consciousness. frequency would be what causes the different apparitions we take to be physical or mental etc...then again energy has to be doing something before it is energy, so it is an 'ing' rather than an 'is'.

can information be the same as thought? otherwise wouldnt it be recorded thought? does a thought contain information or is a thought actually the information itself? is a thought an 'ing' or an 'is'?

consciousness has to be the main 'is'...and thought is what it does, and information may either be an attribute of thought or type of thought?

now i even confused myself, maybe you can straighten me out...
QuinticNon

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 12:38 am
@salima,
salima;119304 wrote:
how about incorporeal?

Considerable... Thank you.

salima;119304 wrote:
i am not sure myself whether i believe information is not energy

There are specific requirements for something to be defined as "energy". Information does not fit the definition. That's why Norbert Weiner specifically said: "Not energy and not matter".

salima;119304 wrote:
frequency would be what causes the different apparitions we take to be physical or mental etc...then again energy has to be doing something before it is energy, so it is an 'ing' rather than an 'is'.

Frequency is a form of energy. So it's not information either.

salima;119304 wrote:
can information be the same as thought?

I believe that's exactly what it is. Information is a thought before that thought has been recorded on a physical medium... a code.

salima;119304 wrote:
otherwise wouldnt it be recorded thought?

That's what code is. The physical record of an immaterial (incorporeal) thought.Very Happy

salima;119304 wrote:
does a thought contain information or is a thought actually the information itself?

My long standing belief is this, in detail...

"Thinking" (thought) can only occur when pure experiential awareness has been codified into a description from mind to brain. The process of doing this produces (authors) Information... to bring something in-to-form.

We don't even realize it. We take it for granted and rarely isolate the different steps of consciousness. This is however a very old idea put forth first by Aristotle (I think it was him). The notion he presents is that thinking cannot occur without a language to think the thought upon. I completely agree with this, but attempt to break it down into individual steps.

All this takes place before a word is ever spoken or written in physicality. It's all in the mind and illustrates the path to the physical brain. Try it out for yourself... can you think about anything without forming words or pictures in your mind? I certainly cannot and I've never met anyone who says they can.

But people do indeed "think" differently. Some think in pictures, and some think in words. But understand that a word is really just a picture anyway. It represents something else.

Any time an image/object relationship is formed, then the inklings of language (code) is manifest.

Consider this scenario, beginning with pure experiential awareness before any thinking occurs. Our sense of sight has made us aware of the very first sunrise. We don't know what it is yet. All we can do is experience it. No thinking has occurred during this experience... yet.

Thinking occurs if and only if we describe the observation. Even if only in our mind. The more description (image/object association), the more thinking.

First it's bright, then round, then yellow, then moving across the sky as a chariot of the gods who live beneath the southern mountain range and desire to impregnate the daughters of Matt before the moon takes the night.

The more words, the more thinking. Now the "thought" from mind has been encoded into the "code" of brain. If brain desires to share that "thought", it must speak or write a code to another sentient being.

This is directly related to different levels of consciousness. A baby with few words is less conscious than a Nobel Laureate. The baby becomes more conscious when the "blob" across the room becomes, big, round, bouncy, red, and ball.

salima;119304 wrote:
is a thought an 'ing' or an 'is'?

Ha! Your guess is as good as mine.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 02:56 am
@Aedes,
Aedes;119302 wrote:
:flowers:

As you sort of mention there is a string of thinkers (not scientists!) probably starting from Spinoza, but certainly from Hume, extending through Nietzsche and through the Existentialists, who from various influences (some scientific, some anthropological, and some speculative), have devalued the traditional Western conceptions of cause, purpose, morality, etc. I don't neglect authors in this either, like Voltaire and Dostoyevsky. Even Shakespeare was definitely a non-philosophical, non-moral, non-religious writer.

Don't know about Spinoza on this list. His 'intellectual love of God' was the pinnacle of this thought. Granted he is one of the figures who is said to have paved the way for the emergence of the secular ideal, and that his depiction of God was highly unorthodox. But in his own way he was a deeply spiritual man.

As for Shakespeare (if indeed Shakespeare was Shakespeare) there is much of the perennial wisdom in him, but he was not at all beholden to the religious authorites.

But I think the real turn away from the spiritual outlook was central to the whole 'Enlightenment Project', and with good reason if you understand the history of it.

Aedes;119302 wrote:
Certain people like Newton and Darwin were incredibly central to inspiring this philosophy, but these guys were scientists and not much into dealing with this idea of which you speak.

Newton wrote an enormous amount on alchemy and obscure facets of hermetic philosophy, most of which has no practical worth and is only of interest to scholars. But he was actually a very religious man. Darwin not nearly so much. But it is nevertheless the case that Newton, Galileo, and Descartes were instrumental (probably inadvertantly) in the subsequent 'death of God' that was pronounced by Neitszche. (I am awaiting my last Amazon order which has a book on it, The Theological Origins of Modernity, by Michale Allan Gillespie, which has a lot about this.)

Aedes;119302 wrote:
I know for a fact that within science, in scientific communications, in scientific environments, in scientific forums, people hardly ever talk about this stuff. They regard it as a personal matter, unanswerable, and in the end a fairly unimportant question.

That's coz they're scientists.

Aedes;119302 wrote:
That's how I feel, to be perfectly honest. I do not think that ultimate cause and ultimate purpose are particularly interesting or important questions. Sure, they may be fundamental, but that's not enough to get my wheels turning.

I respect that completely. I am not an evangelical type. But I stand up for spiritual values generally. Part of this is from experiences I have had. I agree that religious institutions are worthy of criticism, or even being melted down and recast, and am not afflilated with any institutional religion. But I am not anti-religious, and in fact antireligion has only served to make me more conscious of the importance of spiritual values.

My take on religion: basically it is that through which you articulate your relationship with the All. Not with your family, your work, your relationships, your society - although it can embrace all that - but the All, the whole universe. And without something that functions in that role, there will always be sense of lack. That is how it is for me, anyway.

Aedes;119302 wrote:
But I am a very congenial, sympathetic guy and I am fully capable of vicariously appreciating the value of such questions in you and in other people I encounter. It's talking to other humans about it that makes this subject interesting to me.

That comes across very well.

Aedes;119302 wrote:
You're right about the former. But I don't think that people are drawing these conclusions from science, at least not directly. Here's what I think happens: I think that science undermines religion to some degree, simply because it's so damn obvious. It gives us technology and toys. It gives us a new story every day. And it gives more details.

Because people can pick and choose what they believe, since religion does not tower over everything, certain inclinations like "not everything can be explained" and certainly existentialist leanings become popularized. Throw in postmodernism, our extremely cynical self-image, and you see how idealizations of humans, of reason, and of explanations sort of lose traction in our time.

I don't think science rocks people's world enough to get them to change fundamental beliefs. But culture does, and modern culture's attitudes owe a lot more to what humans do than what humans discover.

As I often say on the Forum, this is very much a sign of the particular time and place we live in. At the conference I went to in California in October (pretty new age conference, mind you) I met a couple of academics of Indian background. Their attitudes to the whole 'science vs religion' question were completely different to most of the Western academics I have spoken to. The Hindu conception of deity is so completely different to the Western one, that the whole dialog is in turn completely different. The idea of Brahman is completely different to the idea of Jehovah. And so on.

There is a real ferment of ideas happening at this time in history. It is an exciting time to be alive. I am basically a pluralist - while I believe there is an all-encompassing truth, or that all particular outlooks are but parts of a larger whole, nobody has a monopoly on the truth. This was one of the fatal flaws of Western religion, this exact idea. It was never the case.

And I am very interested in this idea, that information represents or indicates a fundamental level of existence. I believe without reservation that the ground of existence is intelligence, not matter. Even the fact that certain reactions seem bound to occur in precursor chemicals can be taken to mean that there are laws of form which instantiate living organisms wherever conditions arise correctly in the cosmos. Of course 'laws of form' are pre-Darwinian. But they might even make a comeback yet.

---------- Post added 01-12-2010 at 08:38 PM ----------

QuinticNon;119311 wrote:

"Thinking" (thought) can only occur when pure experiential awareness has been codified into a description from mind to brain. The process of doing this produces (authors) Information... to bring something in-to-form.

We don't even realize it. We take it for granted and rarely isolate the different steps of consciousness. This is however a very old idea put forth first by Aristotle (I think it was him). The notion he presents is that thinking cannot occur without a language to think the thought upon. I completely agree with this, but attempt to break it down into individual steps.

All this takes place before a word is ever spoken or written in physicality. It's all in the mind and illustrates the path to the physical brain. Try it out for yourself... can you think about anything without forming words or pictures in your mind? I certainly cannot and I've never met anyone who says they can.

The process of thinking takes time. Anyone who has knowledge of cognitive studies will attest to that. There is the instantaneous awareness, and then a very short time later, the thought will form. This is why people often say when they have been confronted by an emergency 'I didn't think - I just acted'. They also say 'time seemed to stand still'. This is because in a very real way, thought is time. Thinking is indeed the firing of neurons. But it is preceded by awareness, which is elusive, because you obviously cannot think about it.

Yogis and meditators are very conscious of this because they have honed their attention skills to a very fine point, and can distinguish between the pure awareness of the moment, and the nexus of reaction that occurs a split second later. This is very related to the idea of the 'eternal now' - that is a very fine (or in Buddhist terms, 'skilful') state of awareness whereby the attention is effortlessly directed to the present moment, without the machinery of thought with all of its associations, memories, reactions and so on coming into play.

'Incorporeal' is a lovely word indeed, and is also exactly what we are considering here. Alas, it is iredeemably associated with Augustine, Aquinas and the scholastics, and is much deprecated as a result. But a lovely word nonetheless.
xris

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 08:21 am
@QuinticNon,
QuinticNon;119250 wrote:
How can a formula form without thought. How can a formula be expressed without code?
I still dont understand your concept of thought requiring a formula to exist? There is a formula for life, given the correct mixture and the right conditions life will create itself. You dont know that formula, the code is not written down, but it still exists. There is formula that we will discover that exists now , it does not require humanity to exist, for it to be a reality.

What I can never understand with the scientific mind is the idea that we are discovering. The idea that whatever it was, it never existed till we discovered it. The other scientific idea that originality is concept they can not envisage, why is that? It restricts their enquiry when they refuse to acknowledge the fact that we may be observing the origins of life. This idea that somewhere over the rainbow lies the secret that we may never discover. Examine the idea that this might just be it. Its not useless quest nor should it be beneath human enquiry.
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 08:25 am
@jeeprs,
Jeeprs -- take note that I'm not talking about spirituality. Whether Darwin or Newton were theists or spiritual is not really relevant. Newton's efforts with alchemy are not to be ridiculed, because it was the state of the science at the time.

Spinoza took an axe and swung it at Scholasticism. THAT is why he is so relevant to this movement. Scholasticism as you know was a project to marry classical rational philosophy with Christian theology. It required that scriptural sources (and the theology borne of scripture) be considered rational, or that they contain truth. Spinoza rejected this -- he considered scripture to be a work of humans. This is a direct line with Nietzsche's rejection of Western morality, and with Hume's and Voltaire's more overt atheism.

So even though Spinoza was early in this movement, he veered off in a markedly different direction than Descartes, who was not really able to escape the gravitational pull of God as conceived in the European tradition.

And take note that Spinoza predates modern science (he was sort of a contemporary with the beginning of it). In fact it can and should be argued that the rationalist liberation from theology was what created modern science to begin with -- I mean it's no coincidence that the ferment of science in the form of Galileo, Copernicus, Newton, Kepler, Harvey, etc, happened around the same time as the rise of rationalist philosophy in Descartes, Spinoza, and later Kant. So philosophy's own re-evaluation of itself may indeed have set us down the road to this point of "no cause" that you personally happen to find intellectually unappealing, but allows for science to be conducted without metaphysical presuppositions.

pagan;119276 wrote:
Does it follow from this that there is likely to be new ways of 'reading' the genome in the future. By this I mean that the physical form of the dna/rna molecules (eg their twisting folding) will potentially provide information within information.
This is already being done, because genome projects (human and other) have generated a huge amount of genetic data. You're not going to look at a gene sequence and know eyes from nose, of course, but there are data libraries (with oodles of information) that will tell you exactly what protein motifs and functions are predicted from the gene sequence. So you can see if the gene contains the active site of a serine protease, or if there will be an N-terminal signal that produces trafficking to the cell membrane, or if there will be binding sites for glycosylation, etc. And there is cellular and supracellular function that can be inferred from all this stuff.

This is direct genetics. More common has been reverse genetics, where you look at a gene product and work your way backwards to find the gene.
QuinticNon

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 10:13 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;119318 wrote:
The process of thinking takes time....There is the instantaneous awareness, and then a very short time later, the thought will form.

Yes that's basically what I said. I just continued to explained how the thought forms after what you call "instantaneous awareness" or I call "pure experiential awareness from the senses". Yes, that's how it starts. I see no difference here.

jeeprs;119318 wrote:
This is why people often say when they have been confronted by an emergency 'I didn't think - I just acted'. They also say 'time seemed to stand still'. This is because in a very real way, thought is time.

Sure. I get all that.

jeeprs;119318 wrote:
Thinking is indeed the firing of neurons.

I explain language description as the mechanism allowing that to happen.

jeeprs;119318 wrote:
But it is preceded by awareness, which is elusive, because you obviously cannot think about it.

That's what I said.

jeeprs;119318 wrote:
Yogis and meditators are very conscious of this because they have honed their attention skills to a very fine point, and can distinguish between the pure awareness of the moment, and the nexus of reaction that occurs a split second later.

This is where we split. The "nexus of reaction" is not thought. It is "reaction". A cause/reaction, but not a thought/action.

Prick my skin with a needle, provide cause. My senses will react automatically. No thought necessary. But describing the experience, "That Hurts", codifies my "experience" into "thought" by encoding it into the brain. Once encoded, I can do more than react... I can act. Thought/Action is not the same as Cause/Reaction. Cause/Reaction requires the senses to react to stimuli. Thought/Action requires codified description. Information is born, or as Bhartrihari suggests, Brahman is spoken (invited) into our physical realm.

---------- Post added 01-12-2010 at 10:24 AM ----------

xris;119341 wrote:
I still dont understand your concept of thought requiring a formula to exist?

The formula is the thought.

jeeprs;119318 wrote:
There is a formula for life, given the correct mixture and the right conditions life will create itself.

That formula (thought) is presented on the physical code of DNA.

xris;119341 wrote:
You dont know that formula, the code is not written down, but it still exists.

It is written on the double helix. It is enacted upon RNA.

xris;119341 wrote:
There is formula that we will discover that exists now , it does not require humanity to exist, for it to be a reality.

I'm talking about life, not the chaos of cosmos. The formula for life is recorded on the code of DNA. I've never seen a formula for the universe, except that Pi link I provided you earlier. Until a code can be found, we cannot say if the universe was or was not determined. Code is what allows us to make the determination.

Paley's watch cannot be determined as designed or a product of chaos until we find a set of codified plans that illustrate the watch before the watch ever existed in reality. Find those plans, and we know the watch was designed. I've never seen a plan for a rock, or a nebula.
pagan

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 10:34 am
@Aedes,
Aedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagan
Does it follow from this that there is likely to be new ways of 'reading' the genome in the future. By this I mean that the physical form of the dna/rna molecules (eg their twisting folding) will potentially provide information within information.

Quote:
Aedes
This is already being done, because genome projects (human and other) have generated a huge amount of genetic data. You're not going to look at a gene sequence and know eyes from nose, of course, but there are data libraries (with oodles of information) that will tell you exactly what protein motifs and functions are predicted from the gene sequence
Cool thanks for replying. Ok, i sense that you might not like this question in certain contexts...... but do you therefore think that the information in dna/rna molecules is potentially medium dependent? ie when abstracted into a genome sequence and printed onto paper the information is predictive in the hands and minds of scientists. By contrast, when the information is materialised specifically in dna/rna molecules (not paper), it is physically formative and life creating.
QuinticNon

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 10:39 am
@jeeprs,
Acting upon Information is definitely "medium dependent". Vista, can only be enacted upon in the way intended if it has the medium of a PC to function with. Hand over the Vista code to an aboriginal tribe, and they will act upon it in a completely different way than intended by the original author... but they will act upon it, perhaps by offering it to the Gods.
0 Replies

xris

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 11:22 am
@QuinticNon,
QuinticNon;119363 wrote:
Yes that's basically what I said. I just continued to explained how the thought forms after what you call "instantaneous awareness" or I call "pure experiential awareness from the senses". Yes, that's how it starts. I see no difference here.

Sure. I get all that.

I explain language description as the mechanism allowing that to happen.

That's what I said.

This is where we split. The "nexus of reaction" is not thought. It is "reaction". A cause/reaction, but not a thought/action.

Prick my skin with a needle, provide cause. My senses will react automatically. No thought necessary. But describing the experience, "That Hurts", codifies my "experience" into "thought" by encoding it into the brain. Once encoded, I can do more than react... I can act. Thought/Action is not the same as Cause/Reaction. Cause/Reaction requires the senses to react to stimuli. Thought/Action requires codified description. Information is born, or as Bhartrihari suggests, Brahman is spoken (invited) into our physical realm.

---------- Post added 01-12-2010 at 10:24 AM ----------

The formula is the thought.

That formula (thought) is presented on the physical code of DNA.

It is written on the double helix. It is enacted upon RNA.

I'm talking about life, not the chaos of cosmos. The formula for life is recorded on the code of DNA. I've never seen a formula for the universe, except that Pi link I provided you earlier. Until a code can be found, we cannot say if the universe was or was not determined. Code is what allows us to make the determination.

Paley's watch cannot be determined as designed or a product of chaos until we find a set of codified plans that illustrate the watch before the watch ever existed in reality. Find those plans, and we know the watch was designed. I've never seen a plan for a rock, or a nebula.
The formula for life is not written down, if you have it, give to me, please. Science for years has been trying to replicate life without any success. What this DNA informs you of, is the eventual outcome of evolution not the initial formula that instigated life and gave it the potential. The formula for life is hidden from man, its not discovered.Paley's watch needs more than plans it needs the concept of time to be accepted first. You are looking at the result not the cause. That initial spark of life had concealed in its make up all the future of life's venture, it had determination and a desire to succeed. There is no chaos in the cosmos its determined.