Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 06:05 am
(1) What is "setting up cots"?
(2) appeals bench?

Context:
Senators holding all-night talkathon on federal judges
WASHINGTON (AP) - With humor, anger and a show of GOP unity, the Senate on Wednesday launched 30 hours of uninterrupted debate on President Bush's political nominees not making it to the federal appeals bench, setting up cots and preparing to cast blame at each other throughout the night.

TIA
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,073 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 06:46 am
"Cots" are folding beds--portable, but not very comfortable.

The "Appeals Bench" is the Federal Court of Appeals. "Bench" is a way of referring to judge who sits on a "bench".
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 08:43 am
(1) It meant they set up beds at senate for talkathon?
(2) I didn't get what "not making it to the federal appeals bench" means yet. Rolling Eyes Does it mean Bush not appointing nominees to the federal appeals bench?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 08:47 am
Quote:
uninterrupted debate on President Bush's political nominees not making it to the federal appeals bench, setting up cots

OristarA- President Bush has appointed some people to the Federal Appeals courts. Their nominations were not approved by Congress, Therefore they did not "make it", (were not approved, in this particular context) to the positions in the appeals court (bench).

"Making it" can have a lot of different meanings, according to the sentence in which it is used. In general, it describes a positive accomplishment.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 09:06 am
Yes, they are really bringing in beds in case anyone needs to rest during the 30 marathon!
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 11:42 am
Phoenix, you've made the meaning very clear, I think I've gotten it in 97% (not 100% is because I'm the first time to know this English expresson Smile , it needs time to perfect it!).

Thank you all!
0 Replies