veracity of evolution

Dave Allen

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 09:45 am
@richrf,
richrf;87380 wrote:
Heraclitus and the Daoists just observed the world just like everyone else does. They noticed that things change.

Now, because of modern day technology, e.g. telescopes and microscopes, humans can observe things change that are further away in space (whatever space may be), and smaller in size (up until a point, and then things get very cloudy).

The ancient observers were very much attuned to change and actually noticed changes that are no longer even perceived by modern observers - e.g. certain rhythms in the universe, or manifestations of internal change into the external.

So, sensitivity changes. Some knowledge is lost in some memory somewhere. But the general observations that All is in flux has pretty much been with us for thousands of years.

Rich

Aye, but you said:
Quote:
1) Everything is evolving (previously observed by Daoists and Heraclitus, and others).

2) That which survives, survives.

So what's the difference (or simularity in your mind) between "all is flux" and "everything is evolving"?
richrf

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 09:47 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;87381 wrote:
Basically that's right, though things can survive and thrive or survive but struggle too.

OK. But if this is all that Darwin was saying, I think it was hardly revolutionary. Such thoughts are found in all ancient scriptures. Most of the Greek myths, Bible stories, Daoist and Buddhists thoughts, revolve around the perception that for some reason people struggle to survive. The question that I ponder is why? This is a strictly metaphysical question.

Rich
Dave Allen

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 09:48 am
@richrf,
richrf;87382 wrote:
Well, I am not looking for a summary. I am looking for the definition of Darwin's Evolutionary Speculation.

Rich
It's in his books, though better ones on the theory as contempery science are in more recent publications.

---------- Post added 09-01-2009 at 10:50 AM ----------

richrf;87384 wrote:
OK. But if this is all that Darwin was saying, I think it was hardly revolutionary.

The end isn't revolutionary, and the question of why is - until a test can be described - outside of science's ambit. What was revolutionary was a working model of how.
Berner

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 09:51 am
@richrf,
richrf;87384 wrote:
OK. But if this is all that Darwin was saying, I think it was hardly revolutionary. Such thoughts are found in all ancient scriptures. Most of the Greek myths, Bible stories, Daoist and Buddhists thoughts, revolve around the perception that for some reason people struggle to survive. The question that I ponder is why? This is a strictly metaphysical question.

Rich

Then this is your problem. You're looking for a why in a system meant to answer how questions.
0 Replies

richrf

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 09:52 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;87383 wrote:
Aye, but you said:

So what's the difference (or simularity in your mind) between "all is flux" and "everything is evolving"?

None. I am suggesting that Darwin's Speculation and Daoist/Heraclitus thinking belong in exactly the same camp.

Now, the moment Darwin injects a key subjective judgment into his speculation (and it is entirely speculative), that they survive because they are the fittest, we begin to run into trouble.

1) What does it mean to be the fittest?

2) How does one prove this without self-definition?

3) How the heck does anyone know what happened millions of years ago and whether it resembles at all the conditions as they exist today?

I remind you, that weather analysts can barely predict the weather a few hours from now, much less what was going on millions of years ago. It may have been stuff happening that we can never know about. It is all speculation. A story. Like Bible stories.

Rich

---------- Post added 09-01-2009 at 10:56 AM ----------

Berner;87387 wrote:
Then this is your problem. You're looking for a why in a system meant to answer how questions.

Nope, I know metaphysical speculation when I see it, and I tuck it into the right compartment. Now, the moment Darwin starts speculating on what happened millions of years ago and why they evolved as they did (i,.e. survival of the fittest), I tuck him right alongside all other metaphysical notions. There is simply no way of observing those conditions and one good guess is as good as another.

Rich
Berner

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 09:58 am
@richrf,
richrf;87388 wrote:

Organisms that are best adapted to their environment will be more likely to survive than those who are not.

richrf;87388 wrote:

What?

richrf;87388 wrote:

3) How the heck does anyone know what happened millions of years ago and whether it resembles at all the conditions as they exist today?

By looking at the fossil evidence. Geology tells us a lot more about what conditions were like several thousand/million/billion years ago than you seem to think.

richrf;87388 wrote:

I remind you, that weather analysts can barely predict the weather a few hours from now, much less what was going on millions of years ago.

The weather and fossils in the ground are not the same thing. Fluid dynamics and paleontology aren't related fields.

richrf;87388 wrote:

It may have been stuff happening that we can never know about. It is all speculation. A story. Like Bible stories.

Rich

Once again you can't equate bronze age myth with empirical data. Stop conflating the two to make it seem like you're right.
richrf

@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;87385 wrote:
It's in his books, though better ones on the theory as contempery science are in more recent publications.

Suppose you give me a link? I have already provided several links with completely different definitions. No one really knows what they are talking about when they talk about Evolutionary Theory. People just like to talk about it. Which is fine with me. I like talking about Heraclitus. It is fun to speculate and use one's imagination. I just don't pretend it is science.

Rich
Dave Allen

@richrf,
richrf;87388 wrote:
That which is best suited to it's ecological niche.

Quote:
Search me, but - so what? How can one prove anything without reaching understandable definitions?

Quote:
One can't. How did the sage who dreampt he was a butterfly know he was the sage? He reached his conclusions through examining the evidence and arguments, and probably plumped for the best ones.

Remember when you deduced, correctly, that I could speak English?

The evidence points to certain explanations, and the better explanations are probably closer to reality than the poorer ones.
0 Replies

odenskrigare

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 09:59 am
@richrf,
richrf;87388 wrote:
Nope, I know metaphysical speculation when I see it, and I tuck it into the right compartment. Now, the moment Darwin starts speculating on what happened millions of years ago and why they evolved as they did (i,.e. survival of the fittest), I tuck him right alongside all other metaphysical notions. There is simply no way of observing those conditions and one good guess is as good as another.

Rich

rich are you saying that any record of whatever happened in the past is metaphysical

we all could have been created five minutes ago with false memories of whatever was long ago
0 Replies

Dave Allen

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 10:02 am
@richrf,
richrf;87392 wrote:
Suppose you give me a link? I have already provided several links with completely different definitions. No one really knows what they are talking about when they talk about Evolutionary Theory. People just like to talk about it. Which is fine with me. I like talking about Heraclitus. It is fun to speculate and use one's imagination. I just don't pretend it is science.

Physists give no one clear definition of quantum, though you claim it's bound by a single clear idea (even though you were unable to articulate it when asked to do so).

It seems to be a case of double standards for you, but if you are genuinely interested I'd suggest the Blind Watchmaker as a decent popular science book on the subject, good for beginner-intermediates.
richrf

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 10:04 am
@Berner,
Berner;87391 wrote:
Organisms that are best adapted to their environment will be more likely to survive than those who are not.

By looking at the fossil evidence. Geology tells us a lot more about what conditions were like several thousand/million/billion years ago than you seem to think.

The weather and fossils in the ground are not the same thing. Fluid dynamics and paleontology aren't related fields.

Once again you can't equate bronze age myth with empirical data. Stop conflating the two to make it seem like you're right.

Scientists find lots of little bit of ancient stuff just like the ancients did and so everyone is satisfied that things change.

Then scientists have to make a science out of it and create a little, unverifiable story, that things survive because they were the fittest. How do we know they are the fittest? Because they survived of course! Look at us humans. We survived didn't we? We are the fittest! It is a great religious story. Kind of like the Book of Genesis. And God made Man in his own image. A great, feel good story.

Rich
odenskrigare

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 10:05 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;87395 wrote:
Physists give no one clear definition of quantum, though you claim it's bound by a single clear idea (even though you were unable to articulate it when asked to do so)

he learned everything he needs to know about modern physics from The Dancing Wu Li Masters stfu
0 Replies

Berner

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 10:07 am
@odenskrigare,
Since you choose to ignore entire scientific fields, either out of ignorance or because you choose to, I'm done.

I'm done trying to show you why evolution is the best explanation for the biodiversity on the planet. You're not going to even consider the opposing point of view and instead continually throw the same strawmen at evolution like you've been doing for the past 10 pages even though people keep telling you why they are fallicious.
0 Replies

richrf

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 10:08 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;87395 wrote:
Physists give no one clear definition of quantum, though you claim it's bound by a single clear idea (even though you were unable to articulate it when asked to do so).

Schrodinger's mathematical wave function equations or equivalents are used to predict and verify observational results.

Heisenberg's Principle is used to define the limits of what is observable now and in the future.

Totally different concept from trying to guess at what may or may not have happened in the past to arrive at where we are at now. Quantum Physics is science. Darwin's Speculation competes with Intelligent Creation because they both belong in the same category - metaphysics.

Rich

---------- Post added 09-01-2009 at 11:09 AM ----------

Berner;87399 wrote:
I'm done trying to show you why evolution is the best explanation for the biodiversity on the planet.

No, it is the one you like best and the one you are most comfortable with. Many people like Noah's Ark as the preferred story.

Rich
odenskrigare

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 10:09 am
@richrf,
richrf;87396 wrote:
Then scientists have to make a science out of it and create a little, unverifiable story, that things survive because they were the fittest. How do we know they are the fittest? Because they survived of course! Look at us humans. We survived didn't we? We are the fittest! It is a great religious story. Kind of like the Book of Genesis. And God made Man in his own image. A great, feel good story

no you're the arrogant one who doesn't think the human race bears any improvement

the rest of us know that evolution is satisficing rather than optimizing, and many agree that we could be improved

and if you don't think that we can reckon what happened in the past through things like the fossil record, consider this analogy:

"rich wakes up in a stupor. he does not remember what he did yesterday, but sees a small pipe, ash, and empty cookie packages and pizza boxes on the near table. can rich tell what he was doing yesterday based on this evidence?"
0 Replies

Dave Allen

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 10:25 am
@richrf,
richrf;87400 wrote:
Schrodinger's mathematical wave function equations or equivalents are used to predict and verify observational results.

Heisenberg's Principle is used to define the limits of what is observable now and in the future.
Do you understand the difference between a theory and a formula?

Formulas are not, in themselves, definitions of quantum, but applications.

Quote:
Totally different concept from trying to guess at what may or may not have happened in the past to arrive at where we are at now.
Agreed - but so what, your comparing two wildly different things, if you were able to give an overarching theory of quantum you would be looking at like for like, but you haven't been able to provide one despite your earlier claims that it's a simple and clear matter.

Quote:
Quantum Physics is science. Darwin's Speculation competes with Intelligent Creation because they both belong in the same category - metaphysics.
No - you're wrong.

Evolution has tests - creationism does not.

Evolution accounts for and marries with other fields of science - creationism does not.

Evolution makes no claims for which there is no evidence - creationism does.

Evolution predicted discoveries such as genetics and DNA - creationism did not.
richrf

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 10:37 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;87406 wrote:
Evolution predicted discoveries such as genetics and DNA - creationism did not.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what you are talking about when you talk about Evolution. Evolution has been around for thousands of years. Things change. Granted. Every part of life changes. If you look at a human, every part of his external and internal structure is constantly changing. Granted. All of this has been known for thousands of years.

And I would also feel comfortable that humans will continue to change. Every part of them. Genes, DNA, muscle structure, brain neurons, everything. I will even predict that the elementary quantum particles that make up everything that is physically human including genes, DNA, muscles, neurons, etc. will continue to change. My interest is why? But that is metaphysics.

And consciousness seems to change. It seems to keep changing every time we observe something. Hmmm .. maybe that is why things change?

If you are talking about Darwin's speculation about why things change, i.e. to best survive in the ecological environment, that is the part that belongs with metaphysics and other religious beliefs. It is simply the placeholder's for scientists who cannot bring themselves to admit that they have metaphysical beliefs just like other human beings.

Rich
Phredderikk

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 10:48 am
@prothero,
prothero;87240 wrote:

To Phederrik:

Science is limited in scope, and the view of the world it gives us is partial and incomplete. Science is the study of objects, particularly the spatial and temporal properties of matter. Science does not yield a comprehensive world view especially in the areas of subjective experience (values and aesthetics).

Having said that
In the effort to construct a comprehensive world view (philosophy), one should seek to integrate science (objective experience) with values and aesthetics (subjective truth) not to force a false choice between the truth of science (empiricism) and the truth of religion.(faith). Your religion should be compatible with the objective empirical evidence not in direct conflict with it. No religion which pits itself squarely against the popular conception of (how the world really is) can hope to long survive.

Supernatural theology must and is giving way to natural theologies (Conceptions of the divine working through nature and natural law process). This is much more of a problem in traditional Western (particularly Christian) theologies than in Eastern theology. It has to do with the traditional Christian dualism of (earthly versus divine) not too dissimilar from Cartesian dualism (both of which are rationally untenable). This splitting of the world has never been a feature of Eastern monistic theologies.

I agree with everything you said... I am finding it interesting to note more and more the tension between literal/fundamental Christianity and the rest of society - I attend a Baptist Church (KJV only) with my family, but my own journey leads me into a lot of Buddhist ideas, as well as an openness to philosophy and a love of science. I discovered after about 8 years of being a strict biblical literalist that the only way to hold such beliefs is to essentially deny all other beliefs, as well as any empirical discoveries that don't agree with the Bible. It is a hard road to walk... I'm glad to be free of it! 'Dogma is the root of all sorts of evil'
0 Replies

William

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 11:58 am
@odenskrigare,
odenskrigare;87403 wrote:
no you're the arrogant one who doesn't think the human race bears any improvement

First, I personally noticed nothing in Riches remark you quoted that indicated an arrogance and your inference that it was, was not justified and totally gratuitous, IMO. As far as man's improvement, death is what that is all about and it will not take man's warped brilliance to achieve such improvements as they will develop as we go along, naturally as natural selection is just what it says it is: "NATURAL"; which is what these "Frankensteins" are efforting to do with their what can be observed as imperfect, selfish, egotistical assumptions/theories/opinions/scientific/erroneous interpretations that represents a "far from verifiable" definition of what evolution really means. In my most humble and honest opinion.

There seems to be a evolution/eugenic mindset that is egotistically 'out of control' as they desperately try to put a square peg into a round hole that doesn't even exist "naturally"; referring to that "un-disturbed" bottle of coke pathfinder so brilliantly made in that analogy. Perhaps Mary Shelley was a bit more of a prophet than than a writer, huh?

Unlike in the past when the scientific community was the last word on "any subject", new thought is emerging that was not allowed to before, big time. Is it all true? Of course not, but we can compare which "makes the most sense and evolution, as it is being discussed, makes absolutely no sense to me, where as much of the "new thought" most certainly does. It truly does seem the more we think we know the longer and more complicated and confusing the language becomes as I noted previously. I honestly feel something very wrong with that somehow.

There most definitely is an 'origin to our human species" of which we truly do not have a clue, IMO and perhaps never will for it will all come about very naturally or not at all as we become to realize what life is all about. It may take a while; so what's the rush? The universe has a way of cleaning it's own house and to assume we can alter that is folly, IMO.

William
Dave Allen

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 12:02 pm
@richrf,
richrf;87407 wrote:
Unfortunately, I have no idea what you are talking about when you talk about Evolution.
I'm talking about the theory of evolution by natural selection.

Quote:
Evolution has been around for thousands of years.
I think it's been about for longer than that.

Quote:
It seems to keep changing every time we observe something. Hmmm .. maybe that is why things change?
It's a hypothesis.

Quote:
If you are talking about Darwin's speculation about why things change, i.e. to best survive in the ecological environment, that is the part that belongs with metaphysics and other religious beliefs.

Darwin did not speculate on WHY things change - he probably had his own Judaeo-Christian ideas on that - he gave a working model of HOW living organisms change.
0 Replies