Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 09:08 pm
@odenskrigare,
well my point was that denying a mountain of evidence is always ridiculous

although it doesn't necessarily entail anti-Semitism
0 Replies

PoeticVisionary

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 11:18 pm
@odenskrigare,
I'm pretty sure I didn't miss it. Hell I could have, enough interesting and educational posts on this thread(seriously). It seems to me nobody has metioned most scientists if you could ask them if evolution were fact would say yes. There is one thing stopping it from it going from theory to fact. Funding. They have to walk the fence to avoid offending people who are funding their research. There are people from the religious right, left and in between who fund research projects in the hopes of disproving evolution. No I don't have any articles as proof, but they are out there I just don't have the patience or time to search. So I guess you'll just have to say I heard it from my cousin's best friend's sister who knows my wife' cousin.
0 Replies

odenskrigare

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 11:40 pm
@odenskrigare,
I don't think biologists (including in the US) feel any professional pressure not to speak out about evolution

social pressure they might feel but it has nothing to do with funding
0 Replies

richrf

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 12:00 am
@Aedes,
Aedes;85666 wrote:
Yes, you are correct.

Keep in mind, however, that the scientific understanding of evolution is a conglomerate of mutually corroborative sciences, and the development of molecular genetics is undoubtedly the most important.

Why?

Because Darwin's observation lacked a mechanism. With molecular genetics, the actual mechanism behind phenotypic evolution came to light.

Genetic molecules and mechanisms are remarkably similar across eukaryotes, i.e. everything from protozoa to plants to humans, and even among bacteria and viruses it's sufficiently similar.

So on a brief time scale we can easily demonstrate evolution happening prospectively. Based on differential genetic homology, we can easily demonstrate common ancestry. And based on gene conservation, we can even get pretty good estimates of the timeline of evolutionary divergence -- and these estimates corroborate the fossil record.

And while the evolution of viruses like HIV may not directly speak to human evolution, the point is that in real life we get a constant proof-of-principle when we can see evolution happening on a day-to-day time scale.

Hi Paul,

This is what I would prefer:

1) That Darwin's theory of the Origin of the Species be taught as a speculation (which is is) on what may or may not have happened millions of years ago and then a presentation on the background and evidence for these speculations. This would be honest and would certainly bring back some humility to the field of science - something I think it badly needs. We now have a situation where people are talking about what happened millions of years ago with certainty that cannot even be applied to what happened yesterday or tomorrow. An incredible phenomenon to behold. And scientists are supposed to be critical?

2) That current sciences regarding what is being observed presently be taught as such with the necessary footnotes. For example, it is now very obvious that studying animals in a zoo setting is much different than studying in the wild. Studying animals or humans in a lab setting is also necessarily different than studying in the wild. Errors of possibly omission and commission should be explained - if no other reason than to teach students about real critical analysis.

3) All obvious biases within sciences be seriously studied and informed. I don't think there is nearly enough disclosure on these issues, as scientists circle their own wagons and protect each other.

With this in place, I can begin taking what a scientist says seriously. It is a an uncomfortable for me that I cannot take the word of scientists. I always do my own research. It is enormously time consuming, but I can tell you that I trust what my auto repairman says more than I trust the comments by scientists. As a group, they have seem to have lost all notion of critical thinking. How can anything that may or may not have happened millions of years ago could be possibly be considered anything by total speculation? It is incredible.

Rich
prothero

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 12:02 am
@odenskrigare,
What is the difference between a theory and a fact?
Are not theories explanations for large numbers of facts or observations?
When and how does a theory become just a fact?
0 Replies

odenskrigare

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 12:08 am
@richrf,
richrf;85708 wrote:
How can anything that may or may not have happened millions of years ago could be possibly be considered anything by total speculation? It is incredible.

Rich

one finds out what happened so many years ago by fossil records, by geology, by astronomy, etc. in the same way that Eratosthenes found the diameter of the Earth without ever seeing it from space: by deduction

fossilized bones, rock strata, these are tangible rich

qi ... chakras ... not so much

it is not speculation to say that shell imprints left in rocks were left by things that died a long time ago and were covered in sediment that hardened
richrf

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 12:17 am
@odenskrigare,
odenskrigare;85710 wrote:
by deduction

A nice word for speculation.

Quote:
it is not speculation to say that shell imprints left in rocks were left by things that died a long time ago and were covered in sediment that hardened
And that is ALL that you can say. Period. Everything else is speculation and should be discussed as such. If scientists can no longer tell the difference between what they observe and what is speculation then they have totally lost any notion of critical analysis of their own subject.

However, as a footnote to the above, I understand that any science who takes this position, will be held in ridicule since the enforcers will make sure of that. So I give scientists a pass because I realize that they have to make a living also. It is just that I don't trust what they say because of the obvious biases in the fields. There is no room anymore for real critical analysis.

Rich
odenskrigare

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 12:30 am
@richrf,
richrf;85713 wrote:
A nice word for speculation.

no

a priori knowledge gluing together empirical observations isn't "speculation"

and what do you call Chinese metaphysics rich

hard fact?

richrf;85713 wrote:
And that is ALL that you can say. Period.

no because we can date the rocks and compare them to each other, and notice gradual morphological changes, and bla bla bla

like this

http://labspace.open.ac.uk/file.php/4153/S182_10_003i.jpg

richrf;85713 wrote:
Everything else is speculation and should be discussed as such. If scientists can no longer tell the difference between what they observe and what is speculation then they have totally lost any notion of critical analysis of their own subject.

no, lack of critical thinking is clinging to an archaic notion of a vital force located in the heart, an organ which can be replaced when it fails

where does 神 go when someone gets a artificial heart?

good god you're hypocritical
richrf

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 12:51 am
@odenskrigare,
odenskrigare;85715 wrote:

no, lack of critical thinking is clinging to an archaic notion of a vital force located in the heart, an organ which can be replaced when it fails

I don't mind repeating myself to you as often as I have to:

Everything I say is my opinion. It is pure speculation. None of it is fact nor do I present them as facts. My ideas and concepts are constantly changing. I present them as a way of sharing ideas and concepts that I have arrived at after 58 years of exploration, experiences, and experimentation in a wide variety of endeavors. It works very, very well for me. It works very well for many of my friends - but not all.

For some people, it is fun and very rewarding to explore and understand alternative perspectives in life. I have a couple who are in their 80s, and love to talk about these things as they witness their health improving immensely. Everyone is different and has their own journey in life. I wish everyone well in their own discoveries.

As for critical analysis, when I see some from you, I will let you know. Right now, I only observe poor attempts at ridicule. If you really want to be a master of ridicule just read how the original quantum physicists use to berate themselves. It is quite humorous and befuddling at the same time. But so it is.

Rich
odenskrigare

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 01:14 am
@richrf,
richrf;85716 wrote:
I don't mind repeating myself to you as often as I have to:

Everything I say is my opinion. It is pure speculation. None of it is fact nor do I present them as facts. My ideas and concepts are constantly changing. I present them as a way of sharing ideas and concepts that I have arrived at after 58 years of exploration, experiences, and experimentation in a wide variety of endeavors. It works very, very well for me. It works very well for many of my friends - but not all.

For some people, it is fun and very rewarding to explore and understand alternative perspectives in life. I have a couple who are in their 80s, and love to talk about these things as they witness their health improving immensely. Everyone is different and has their own journey in life. I wish everyone well in their own discoveries.

rich you are ignoring the critical distinction between consistency and entailment

though health benefits and things of that nature may be consistent with the ideas of qi and so on, they do not entail it

entailment is a much more stringent criterion

me I rely on reality-based means of health maintenance: cardiovascular exercise and a fair amount of balance in my diet, granted I have to eat more fatty foods than most people just to maintain weight. the benefits and mechanisms are tangible and so I know that my regimen entails them

richrf;85716 wrote:
As for critical analysis, when I see some from you, I will let you know.

I don't need you to evaluate my critical thinking ability you believe in qi

richrf;85716 wrote:
Right now, I only observe poor attempts at ridicule. If you really want to be a master of ridicule just read how the original quantum physicists use to berate themselves. It is quite humorous and befuddling at the same time. But so it is.

I'd be surprised if you "knew" anything about quantum physics besides claptrap you "learned" from The Dancing Wu Li Masters

you certainly don't strike me as the person who would learn all the prerequisite vector calculus, linear algebra, statistics, and concepts from classical mechanics involved in real quantum physics, much less the actual theory itself
0 Replies

ACB

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 10:05 am
@richrf,
richrf;85716 wrote:
Everything I say is my opinion. It is pure speculation. None of it is fact nor do I present them as facts. My ideas and concepts are constantly changing. I present them as a way of sharing ideas and concepts that I have arrived at after 58 years of exploration, experiences, and experimentation in a wide variety of endeavors.

Granted that you think Darwinian evolution is only speculation, I would be interested to hear your views on it. Do you think - purely as a matter of opinion - that Darwin could have been right that new species evolved through natural selection of random mutations? And do you think it is more or less believable than qi, and why?
richrf

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 10:13 am
@ACB,
ACB;85783 wrote:
Granted that you think Darwinian evolution is only speculation, I would be interested to hear your views on it. Do you think - purely as a matter of opinion - that Darwin could have been right that new species evolved through natural selection of random mutations? And do you think it is more or less believable than qi, and why?

Hi,

I experience qi (energy) every day in my life. It exists moment to moment.

I have no idea what happened millions of years ago. My guess is that there are many many things that happened over the millions of years that we are as yet completely unaware of. Whether or not we ever become aware of them, I do not know. I am open to further exploration of the subject.

Rich
Aedes

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 10:14 am
@richrf,
richrf;85708 wrote:
That Darwin's theory of the Origin of the Species be taught as a speculation
Darwin's personal work is 150 years old, and it's not even really taught at all except as a foundational moment in evolutionary science. His work was revolutionary at the time, and it's an incredibly prescient example of deductive reasoning based on exhaustive observation. But Darwin's "speculation" would have been long forgotten if not for all the research that's happened since then.

Countless other ecology, paleontology, paleobotany, molecular biology and other studies could just as easily INDEPENDENTLY generate a theory that is quite close to Darwin's. And THAT is why there is a very big difference between teaching Darwin and teaching evolutionary biology.

richrf;85708 wrote:
All obvious biases within sciences be seriously studied and informed. I don't think there is nearly enough disclosure on these issues, as scientists circle their own wagons and protect each other.
Every major scientific journal and meeting requires disclosure of financial or other conflict of interest by authors, and nearly all journals will publish funding sources and financial conflicts of interest with the article. A financial conflict of interest does not necessarily obviate a study, but the point is that it needs to be disclosed. Inappropriately undisclosed biases and conflicts of interest can lead to censure, loss of grant funding, retraction of articles, and expulsion from scientific societies.

That doesn't mean it's a perfect system, but people who have an interest in discrediting a scientist can easily look into his public disclosures and see if he's keeping secrets.
0 Replies

odenskrigare

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 11:57 am
@richrf,
richrf;85785 wrote:
Hi,

I experience qi (energy) every day in my life. It exists moment to moment

refer to what I said about consistency vs. entailment

I could attribute my sense of vitality to a terrible ten thousand-headed demon named "Dhaakhra" but would that explanation merely be consistent with my feeling, or entail it?
0 Replies

LWSleeth

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 01:37 pm
@jgweed,
jgweed;85309 wrote:
Either one accepts the science or one does not . . .

[SIZE="3"]Where I stand is . . . I accept all actual science; I might add, I reject supernaturalism totally.[/SIZE]

jgweed;85309 wrote:
The only "falsification" appears to come from outside the scientific community.

[SIZE="3"]As you likely know, falsification, Popper's intent at least, is an aid in formulating a testable hypothesis. It isn't about detractors trying to prove a theory wrong. However, using how you seem to mean it, I would say in response to your following comments . . .[/SIZE]

jgweed;85309 wrote:
This can take the form of denying science itself, placing it under the dark cloud of "mere opinion" or "bias" or "just another belief like any other." From other quarters, and usually begat from a religious motive, isolated, dubious, and skewed "evidence" is presented in refutation of the theory of evolution; at times, this involves picking and choosing other scientific procedures and calling them into question (e.g. carbon dating).

[SIZE="3"]. . . that you've overlooked an entire category of doubter, and that is the science lover who thinks those acting as though evolution theory is a "fact" (as one poster here said, and lots of public figures, like Dawkins and Dennett, have said), are premature in their proclamations, and also fail to properly acknowledge legitimate gaps in the theory.

I emphasized "legitimate" gaps to reassure you that my objections at least have nothing to do with the fossil record, religious conviction (I am not religious), dubious or skewed evidence, etc. I wholly am convinced, in fact, that evolution has happened, gradually over a large expanse of time, naturally, and likely from some original single cell or so. I would say that is a "fact" as much as anything observed by humans is a fact.

That said, I also don't think the "theory" of evolution is even close to being a "fact." [/SIZE]

jgweed;85309 wrote:
. . . "evolution" as a general theory has the requisite explanatory power, seems consonant with recent advances in microbiology and genetic research, and is supported by collateral areas of science, for example paleontology. Naturally, as a theory, it is always subject to revision or rejection based on new evidence, and its "veracity" is that of any scientific theory.

[SIZE="3"]Why would I say I believe evolution is a fact, but evolution theory is not? Because half the debates that go on in forums like these are not about the heart of the theory, that: mutation and natural selection (and associated E-mechanisms such as bottleneck and founder effects, genetic drift, coevolution, etc.) are responsible for the development of whole organisms.

What the facts state is that mutation and NS can cause minor adaptions to extant organ systems. There is absolutely no proof that the original organ systems were developed that way in the first place. It is merely assumed. Why is that assumed when every other facet of evolution (that can be supported with evidence) is painstakingly documented?

You'll notice above, where you listed "bias" as a common argument, that when I responded to other specious claims commonly made by doubters, I didn't exclude myself from the bias accusation. Well, that's because I think there is bias in the science community when it comes to how evolution is presented to the public.

Virtually all evidence presented by the scientific community is in support of gradual development over time, common descent, and simple adaption. Avoided like the plague is the huge gap no one wants to admit to where evidence is required to establish simple adaption as an organism-evolving force.

Richard Dawkins, evolution's angry champion, is typical of the biased scientist using this tactic. He says, for example, "There are clues from the distribution of DNA codes throughout the animal and plant kingdoms, of protein sequences, of morphological characters that have been analyzed in great detail. Everything fits with the idea that we have here a simple branching tree. The distribution of species on islands and continents throughout the world is exactly what you'd expect if evolution was a fact. The distribution of fossils in space and in time are exactly what you would expect if evolution were a fact. There are millions of facts all pointing in the same direction and no facts pointing in the wrong direction."

Yet despite the complex phylogenic circumstances so competently detailed by evolutionists through genetic sequencing, fossil records, dating techniques, comparative morphology, taxonomy, patterns of biogeography and so on, only life's development over time, common descent, and that minor adjustments of existing organ systems to local environmental conditions does regularly occur are confirmed as effectively certain-what caused life's progression from cell to complex organisms can only be linked to adaptive mechanisms theoretically (i.e., not factually).

So, this particular objection to E-theory of mine is about sound reasoning. I am able to reason from fossil evidence that life evolved over time, from genetic evidence that life seems to have come from some first cell, from observation and statistical calculations that mutation/NS can cause adaption . . . but what evidence am I to reason from that says simple adaption is anything more than what we observe it to be: a built-in means for a created, extant system to make minor adjustments to environmental changes? For me, a relatively unbiased thinker with no cause to push, I have no reason to leap to the conclusion that simple adaption evolves organisms.

But if I were a science-only or religion-hating thinker, I might have reason to avoid the simple adaption issue. Being committed to science-only can bias me toward mechanistic explanations (since science is 100% mechanistic exploration); or if I wanted to make sure hated religious theorists were kept out of the discussion, I'd make sure to only argue what the evidence supports, as though that's all there is to E-theory. That is why I say the typical evolution theory believer (keeping in mind I am distinguishing between the fact of evolution, and the factors theorists claim cause evolution) is either biased by his predilection for mechanics/physics or is a religion hater, or both . . . and that prevents him from either evaluating evidence outside of what's mechanistic, or causes him to present evidence in such a way that it makes evolution more "fact" than it is to keep religion at bay.

Summing up, evolution is a fact, evolution theory is wholly speculative in one vital spot. Whatever it was that caused the genetic changes which led to the evolution of organ systems/organisms is still a huge mystery.[/SIZE]
Aedes

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 02:51 pm
@LWSleeth,
LWSleeth;85819 wrote:
evolution theory is wholly speculative in one vital spot. Whatever it was that caused the genetic changes which led to the evolution of organ systems/organisms is still a huge mystery.
I think it's better established than you may give it credit for, especially as science has developed very strong demonstrations of the origin of various organelles (like plastids and mitochondria). And the phylogenetic development of organs and organ systems has been strongly supported by molecular evidence of early pattern formation, including the well-known homeobox genes.

I would not say it's "wholly speculative". I would say that it's a lot like neuroscience, in which studying microscopic examples provides a lot of "proof-of-concept", which in aggregate is nicely extrapolated to bigger systems.
LWSleeth

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 03:45 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;85832 wrote:
I think it's better established than you may give it credit for, especially as science has developed very strong demonstrations of the origin of various organelles (like plastids and mitochondria). And the phylogenetic development of organs and organ systems has been strongly supported by molecular evidence of early pattern formation, including the well-known homeobox genes.

[SIZE="3"]I wasn't able to find any information on mitochondrial or plastid development that is relevant to evidence mutation/NS was the evolving force of organ systems; I am however familiar with some of the hopes for hox genes, and if mitochondria/plastid development is of that class of evidence, then as you know I'm sure, it is merely theory.

If you understand my problems with E-theory, first it is the claims by the vast majority of the scientific community that E-theory is virtually a "fact," when that theory has an evidential gap (i.e., not hypotheses gaps) in a crucial concept of E-theory . . . the evolutive ability of simple adaption; yes, there are many hopeful avenues of exploration that might yield the necessary evidence to call E-theory a fact, but right now the actual, observable evidence is lacking. Second, I object to the tactic of arguing for E-theory only with the evidence that proves evolution occurred; every unbiased, reasonably-educated person knows evolution happened, it is what caused evolution that's in dispute with thinkers like myself.

What I believe I observe in the vast majority of E-theory proponents is that they already believe it, and are now only trying to find that which supports their a priori belief. When I, an uncommitted thinker, have challenged this by saying it is a premature belief on their part (in many, many past debates I've had), I have been accused of everything from being a Bible-thumping creationist to (the normal tactic) not understanding E-theory or science.

I would have absolutely no trouble accepting E-theory if the evidence were there (again, evidence that simple adaption can evolve whole organisms); there is nothing in my view of things that is threatened by E-theory. Yet it isn't just the lack of evidence that bothers me about E-theory, there is something else too.

Ultimately E-theory is purely mechanical, and every observation I've had of mechanistic properties is that they only develop for a limited number of steps, but if they do take more steps, those steps turn repetitive relatively quickly (as with crystals or PCR). I understand natural selection is supposed to solve this problem (in E-theory anyway), but nonetheless, when all is said and done E-theory is dependent on mechanics to account for the incredibly creative and effective organization found in life. This is only intuitive on my part, but mechanics and perpetual creativity (as life seems to be) don't seem compatible concepts.

I realize lots of stuff that seemed beyond belief in the past, have turned out to be true (relativity?), and that often what someone calls "intuition" is nothing more than an ingrained set of beliefs based on how things have worked for that particular person. On the other hand, a clean, unbiased intuitiveness has also turned out to be quite accurate at times.

As of now, I personally lean toward the theory that there was "something more" behind evolution, yet to be discovered, possibly a force that manipulated life at the genetic level and pushed it toward constructive, anti-entropic development. Of course, I can't prove that either, so neither do I consider that a "fact." Smile[/SIZE]
Pathfinder

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 06:10 pm
@odenskrigare,
did he say a FORCE?

Hey Sweeth, come on over to this thread, I think you might find it very interesting.

http://www.philosophyforum.com/philosophy-forums/branches-philosophy/philosophy-mind/4403-consciousness-biological-problem-60.html#post85874

Now just hold on a cottin pickin minute Sweeth, Odenskrage here has assured us that evoltuoion IS a FACT, and that no scientist worth any amount of talent would even suggest it isnt.

You dont mean to tell me that there actually ARE scientisits out there that do not accept evolution as fact yet? Thats not what Oden said, he says that 99.9 percent of the worlds sciectists all accept that evoltuoj is a proven fact, hands downm hell he even drew a nice graph to prove it, didya see it didya? hahhaah sorry Oden couldnt help myself.:whistling:

Seriously though Sweeth , we have a concersation going on about that exact force behind the scenes that you are eluding to in that other thread.

---------- Post added 08-26-2009 at 07:22 PM ----------

My final thought on the veracity of evolution remains undecided.

I am not willing to either deny its possibility or declare it a fact.

I watch and learn as the real minds behind the scenes do the hard work. My library is ready to receive and I will not be placing anything on the fact shelf until it is proven without any credible contradictions. Right now, there are just too many well thoughtout and argued contradictions to accept evolution as fact.
LWSleeth

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 06:44 pm
@Pathfinder,
Pathfinder;85878 wrote:
Now just hold on a cottin pickin minute Sweeth, Odenskrage here has assured us that evoltuoion IS a FACT, and that no scientist worth any amount of talent would even suggest it isnt.

Keep in mind I agree that evolution is a fact, but disagree that evolution theory is a fact. I don't know if the theory is true or not. I am only saying that acting like the theory is basically proven is empirically improper because we don't have the evidence to establish simple adaption as the main evolving force.
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 06:44 pm
@LWSleeth,
LWSleeth;85843 wrote:
I wasn't able to find any information on mitochondrial or plastid development that is relevant to evidence mutation/NS was the evolving force of organ systems
As you've mentioned yourself in your previous post, mutation and natural selection are hardly the only mechanisms of evolution. The evidence for endosymbiosis is overwhelming for plastids and for mitochondria. Endosymbiosis may not be a routine mechanism of evolution, but in several cases it has been one of the most significant of all biological developments in the history of life on this planet.

Endosymbiotic theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

LWSleeth;85843 wrote:
I am however familiar with some of the hopes for hox genes, and if mitochondria/plastid development is of that class of evidence
Hmmm... I'm not sure you're that familiar with either, then. I mentioned mitochondria and plastids as examples of organelles whose primary evolutionary biogenesis is well established. And I mentioned homeobox genes because they give great insight into the evolutionary origin of organs and body patterns in animals. These are two separate topics that were meant to address your point.

Homeobox genes have nothing at all to do with subcellular organelles like mitochondria, chloroplasts, apicoplasts, etc.

LWSleeth;85843 wrote:
that theory has an evidential gap (i.e., not hypotheses gaps) in a crucial concept of E-theory . . . the evolutive ability of simple adaption
I don't agree that this is a "gap" at all, but since you seem to confuse Darwinian theory with evolutionary biology, I can see how you might think so. If you're still hung up on "simple adaptations" and you're not talking about the molecular biology of embryogenesis, then you're a few decades behind the discussion.