veracity of evolution

odenskrigare

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 08:00 am
@ACB,
salima;87276 wrote:
what is distasteful about the aspect of survival of the fittest? natural selection is not the same as a wrestling match. the fittest would not be limited to mean the one with behavior capable of destroying everything else. take it to the basic form of aggression, which male is strong enough to be the breeder. if he were so strong and antagonistic that he destroyed every other male of his species including his children, the species would come to an end. on the other hand, if a male has superior qualities other than physical strength which are more important and suited to the direction a species is leaning towards, they will be selected.

evolutionary psychology also accounts for "nice" behaviors

it would appear that most of us exhibit them to some degree

Aedes;87300 wrote:
Yes, but that reflects their character and communication style. So long as we're not getting too nasty (ahem Odenskrigare...), let's look past their style -- because everyone is making good points.

I'm not getting too nasty

especially in the face of chronological snobbery, willful ignorance, strawmanning, and, yea, even wishes for my death (William)

how do you expect me to react to "I'M OLDUR DEN U I'M RYTE"

ACB;87312 wrote:
I take the latter view. The fact that falsification is possible does not imply that it is likely.

there is no falsification before emergence of a better theory
Dave Allen

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 08:16 am
@odenskrigare,
odenskrigare;87333 wrote:
evolutionary psychology also accounts for "nice" behaviors

Sure, in the case of human beings "survival of the fittest" has often meant "survival of the most cooperative".
Quote:
how do you expect me to react to "I'M OLDUR DEN U I'M RYTE"

Point out that there are people older than him who feel as you do?
0 Replies

richrf

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 08:42 am
@salima,
salima;87276 wrote:
what is distasteful about the aspect of survival of the fittest?

Because, like an religious notion, of some things being better than others, it can support notions such as eugenics. After all, humans are part of a deterministic nature, and all the eugenicists are doing is speeding up the evolutionary process by eliminating the unfit.

In any case, this notion is an interesting idea, but total speculation of what may or may not have happened in the past. I can always make up a good story of why one trait was passed on and another one wasn't. There is no way to verify Darwin's theory or to replicate it, and it should be put under the giant umbrella of speculation like every other metaphysical theory out there.

Rich
Dave Allen

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 08:46 am
@odenskrigare,
Residents of nagasaki probably feel that quantum mechanics are associated with rather upsetting historical episodes.

But that does not make quantum wrong.

Also, as explained above, proponents of eugenics didn't really grasp what survival of the fittest (itself something of a misnomer) implied.
odenskrigare

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 08:51 am
@richrf,
Dave Allen;87337 wrote:
Point out that there are people older than him who feel as you do?

I did, several times ... wrt theory of mind and evolution, you've got Marvin Minsky, Richard Dawkins, Hans Moravec, Michael Shermer, et al., none of them were born yesterday

but Pathfinder just keeps browbeating with the "U ARROGINT YUNG MAN" line as if my tendency to defend the truth will wane with age

richrf;87347 wrote:
Because, like an religious notion, of some things being better than others, it can support notions such as eugenics. After all, humans are part of a deterministic nature, and all the eugenicists are doing is speeding up the evolutionary process by eliminating the unfit.

eyo

b

b

b

Fallacy: Appeal to Consequences of a Belief

---------- Post added 09-01-2009 at 10:54 AM ----------

Dave Allen;87349 wrote:
Residents of nagasaki probably feel that quantum mechanics are associated with rather upsetting historical episodes.

Also, as explained above, proponents of eugenics didn't really grasp what survival of the fittest (itself something of a misnomer) implied.

well for my part I am not in principle opposed to eugenics, as long as it isn't being used to advance bizarre occult beliefs and narrow down human appearance to just one kind of prototype

if anything genetic engineering should be used to diversify human phenotypes. wouldn't it be nice to see people with naturally green, blue and purple hair?
0 Replies

richrf

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 08:55 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;87349 wrote:

Quantum physics makes no presumption of what is good and what is bad. It is a mathematical formula. I find nothing wrong in the mathematical formula.

Darwin's speculation does presume there is a better and a worse (similar to religions), and it can be used as a rationale for all kinds of ideas, as has already happened.

It is one thing to observe events transpire and report them. It is a totally different thing to create a hierarchy of better and worse. Where in mathematics do they say one number is better or worse than another? Where in physics do they make this suggestion? These are sciences that report on observations. They do not make subjective judgments.

Darwin's speculation should have been jettisoned from the get go, but alas, it is the only story that science has, and since science feels it necessary to come up with a story competitive to the religions, they came up with this one. Just because it is the only story in town, doesn't make it science. Time for a house cleaning.

Rich

---------- Post added 09-01-2009 at 09:58 AM ----------

Dave Allen;87337 wrote:
Sure, in the case of human beings "survival of the fittest" has often meant "survival of the most cooperative".

Actually, it can mean anything and interpreted as such. It is a useless notion in this context.

What does it mean "the fittest"? Anything that survives? Totally useless notion. It just defines what is.

Rich
odenskrigare

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 08:59 am
@richrf,
richrf;87355 wrote:
Darwin's speculation does presume there is a better and a worse (similar to religions), and it can be used as a rationale for all kinds of ideas, as has already happened.

no stop bull****ting, the theory of evolution is descriptive not prescriptive. it states that genetic information which propagates itself survives, that which doesn't does not survive

hurr durr

richrf;87355 wrote:
It is one thing to observe events transpire and report them. It is a totally different thing to create a hierarchy of better and worse. Where in mathematics do they say one number is better or worse than another?

Game Theory (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

a ha ha ha I couldn't help myself

richrf;87355 wrote:
Darwin's speculation should have been jettisoned from the get go, but alas, it is the only story that science has, and since science feels it necessary to come up with a story competitive to the religions, they came up with this one. Just because it is the only story in town, doesn't make it science. Time for a house cleaning.

time for rich to ban himself from the Internet
Dave Allen

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 09:10 am
@richrf,
richrf;87355 wrote:
Just because it is the only story in town, doesn't make it science. Time for a house cleaning.
It's not the only story in town - but it's the story in town with the most evidence and which stands up best to testing, and that's what makes it a science.

Quote:
What does it mean "the fittest"? Anything that survives?

No - that which is best suited to a given ecological niche.
richrf

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 09:22 am
@odenskrigare,
odenskrigare;87358 wrote:
no stop bull****ting, the theory of evolution is descriptive not prescriptive. it states that genetic information which propagates itself survives, that which doesn't does not survive

Totally useless idea. What survives survives, what doesn't doesn't.

This leaves us with two notions:

1) Everything is evolving (previously observed by Daoists and Heraclitus, and others).

2) That which survives, survives.

I can live with this, if this is what is what is being put forth as Evolutionary Theory, though it is difficult to get excited about it.

Rich
Dave Allen

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 09:25 am
@richrf,
richrf;87355 wrote:

Darwin's speculation should have been jettisoned from the get go, but alas, it is the only story that science has...

No - wrong. There is Lamarckian evolution for a start. During the 19th century plenty of models for evolution were tabled, but Lamarck's and Darwin's were the only ones to gain any traction. Lamarck's had obvious areas that it could not account for, and lacked predicitive power, so evolution by natural selection won out.
0 Replies

odenskrigare

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 09:26 am
@richrf,
richrf;87364 wrote:
Totally useless idea

useless means "lacking use"

Genetic programming - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia <== useful

and no don't pretend the hazy doctrines of Heraclitus and Laozi would have given rise to something as specific and practical as GP, or evolutionary psychology for that matter
0 Replies

Dave Allen

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 09:28 am
@richrf,
richrf;87364 wrote:
1) Everything is evolving (previously observed by Daoists and Heraclitus, and others).

2) That which survives, survives.

I can live with this, if this is what is what is being put forth as Evolutionary Theory, though it is difficult to get excited about it.

Rich

I think that's an ok summary for beginners - the basics are obvious when you know how to spot them. The step taken by natural selection is explain why certain organisms in certain circumstances survive better than others, and how this shapes the subsequent generation.
richrf

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 09:30 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;87362 wrote:
It's not the only story in town - but it's the story in town with the most evidence and which stands up best to testing, and that's what makes it a science.

Evidence of what for what? The theory is ambiguous. The evidence is just a lot of stories about what may have happened in the past.

How does anyone know that things survive because they survive other than looking at what survived? And that which perished, perished because they couldn't survive in the ecology that existed back then, which we are speculating was inhospitable to the species because it couldn't survive.

It is all self-defining. This is a real mess and has no place in the same category as physics and mathematics, or even modern biology which is really observing something that is happening and replicating results. It is when biology tries to insert itself into this Darwin Speculation thing that it runs into trouble, since biology is being used to speculate and assert something that may or may not have happened in the past, in the most contrived manner.

But scientists have to have their metaphysical beliefs, and so why not hide it somewhere as a "science".

Dave Allen;87362 wrote:
No - that which is best suited to a given ecological niche.

Best suited? How is that determined? By what survived?

Rich

---------- Post added 09-01-2009 at 10:31 AM ----------

odenskrigare;87367 wrote:
useless means "lacking use"

Genetic programming - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia <== useful

and no don't pretend the hazy doctrines of Heraclitus and Laozi would have given rise to something as specific and practical as GP, or evolutionary psychology for that matter

The only practical use for Darwin's speculation is that it allows scientists to embrace a metaphysical belief and still feel good about themselves as scientists. Let's just put it under the general title of scientific metaphysics.

Rich
Berner

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 09:34 am
@richrf,
richrf;87371 wrote:
Evidence of what for what? The theory is ambiguous. The evidence is just a lot of stories about what may have happened in the past.

How does anyone know that things survive because they survive other than looking at what survived? And that which perished, perished because they couldn't survive in the ecology that existed back then, which we are speculating was inhospitable to the species because it couldn't survive.

GENETICS GENETICS AND GENETICS.

richrf;87371 wrote:

It is all self-defining. This is a real mess and has no place in the same category as physics and mathematics, or even modern biology which is really observing something that is happening and replicating results. It is when biology tries to insert itself into this Darwin Speculation thing that it runs into trouble, since biology is being used to speculate and assert something that may or may not have happened in the past, in the most contrived manner.

"Nothing in Biology makes sense except in the light of Evolution"

Theodosius Dobzhansky

richrf;87371 wrote:

But scientists have to have their metaphysical beliefs, and so why not hide it somewhere as a "science".

Quit saying it's all metaphysical when it's backed by EMPIRICAL evidence.
0 Replies

Dave Allen

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 09:34 am
@richrf,
richrf;87371 wrote:
Evidence of what for what? The theory is ambiguous.
You had it a minute ago - what evidence did Heraclitus have?

Let's start with what you can understand first and then try and work on what you can't - what did Heraclitus get that you too can grasp?
odenskrigare

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 09:35 am
@richrf,
richrf;87371 wrote:
The only practical use for Darwin's speculation is that it allows scientists to embrace a metaphysical belief and still feel good about themselves as scientists

BZZT wrong thanks for playing

Evolution 101: What are the Practical Applications of Evolution?
0 Replies

Pangloss

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 09:42 am
@odenskrigare,
Going along with antibiotics, in some cases doctors will prescribe them to be dosed in "pulses", or else use a very low dose of the drug. Why is this? Because it can still help to improve a bacterial infection, but the adjusted doses work to avoid the production of antibiotic-resistant bacteria. (The resistant bacteria pass on their genes, while the "unfit" bacteria for that antibiotic-rich environment die off)

The MRSA bacteria that you may have heard about on the news have evolved because of our antibiotic use, and this is yet another known "fact" of evolution that takes place right in front of us.
0 Replies

richrf

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 09:43 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;87375 wrote:
You had it a minute ago - what evidence did Heraclitus have?

Let's start with what you can understand first and then try and work on what you can't - what did Heraclitus get that you too can grasp?

Heraclitus and the Daoists just observed the world just like everyone else does. They noticed that things change.

Now, because of modern day technology, e.g. telescopes and microscopes, humans can observe things change that are further away in space (whatever space may be), and smaller in size (up until a point, and then things get very cloudy).

The ancient observers were very much attuned to change and actually noticed changes that are no longer even perceived by modern observers - e.g. certain rhythms in the universe, or manifestations of internal change into the external.

So, sensitivity changes. Some knowledge is lost in some memory somewhere. But the general observations that All is in flux has pretty much been with us for thousands of years.

Rich
Dave Allen

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 09:43 am
@richrf,
richrf;87371 wrote:
Best suited? How is that determined? By what survived?

Basically that's right, though things can survive and thrive or survive but struggle too.
richrf

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 09:44 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;87370 wrote:
I think that's an ok summary for beginners - the basics are obvious when you know how to spot them. The step taken by natural selection is explain why certain organisms in certain circumstances survive better than others, and how this shapes the subsequent generation.

Well, I am not looking for a summary. I am looking for the definition of Darwin's Evolutionary Speculation.

Rich