From Brain to Consciousness to Mind--the biological basis

jeeprs

Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2010 04:09 pm
@salima,
salima;116566 wrote:
sounds good to me-i vote for jeeprs to lead the opposition party. that allows me to jump the fence now and then :bigsmile:

Actually must politely decline. I will continue to monitor this thread however.
0 Replies

Alan McDougall

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 01:59 am
@KaseiJin,
I perceive the mind as the non matter RAM and the Brain as the hard drive memory device, when we die all is stired in the soul the flash drive of our final being
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 05:13 pm
@Alan McDougall,
[CENTER]I believe the Mind is a Dualty.

One part formed by a godly spark, the other our human soul. The more they work together, the better the Mind will be Conscious.

The Soul has so a better view of the World.

We are all connected in Matter and Spirit.
To what Ends I have no Clue, yet.
:bigsmile:
Kindly-ness
Pepijn Sweep
[/CENTER]
amer

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 06:11 pm
@Pepijn Sweep,
@Pepijn - please explain the interaction mechanism of your duality mind model? It seems to be some form of metaphysical model.
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 06:23 pm
@amer,
amer;148368 wrote:
@Pepijn - please explain the interaction mechanism of your duality mind model? It seems to be some form of metaphysical model.

It's like your brains has different layers and halfs communicating.

Metaphysicly I do not comprehend the word.

May be we could call it soul and spirit,
Soul being our immortal part and spirit the mortal, human part.

Pepijn Sweep
Magister I/O
amer

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 06:37 pm
@Pepijn Sweep,
@Pepijen - If these parts (of the 'brain') are part of the physical matter of the brain then they are physical processes that will end when the body dies. However, it seems that you are proposing mind/spirit distinct from the material matter of the brain - ie metaphysical - ie beyond the material matter.

My question still remains which is how do processes which do not reside in matter work? How/where is information processed and retained in this metaphysical realm? and how does the interaction (e.g. transfer of information across the material/non material boundary) work?
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 03:39 am
@KaseiJin,
How is it that we come to have a personality when actually we are the composite of millions of cellular processes all just doing their own thing? How do swifts migrate from Japan to Alaska to breed? Nature does all kinds of things that we have not foggiest idea about. It is cause and effect, operating in ways that we can't even conceive of.
xris

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 07:19 am
@jeeprs,
Ive read a few articles lately that tell us how science can activate parts of our brain that characterize our emotions and our temperament. BUT they can still not point to a certain area of the brain and say thats where my consciousness exists, where I'm actually located. They think its like an electromagnetic field surrounding our brain like an aura. We have electromagnetic radiation giving us communication over thousands of miles,the radio. What would that receiver or transmitter look like if it had the ability to communicate with another realm, an ethereal location? Is it beyond possibility our brain, that has tantalizingly showed signs of telepathy and distant viewing, has this ability. This ability that we have not looked for, for fear of ridicule...I just cant wait for the response to this speculative post..:bigsmile:
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 07:57 am
@xris,
I earlier wrote Copte Augustus

Mind is most like people of Bees. One Soul is Best. Machisimo is necessary, but Queen-bee flies and leads the way. If Only Mother Nature would give us a Signal.

Mankind is Guardian. Not Ruler of Sopia, Hermes or Mammon.

Humanity should shape UP.
amer

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 05:05 pm
@Pepijn Sweep,
Guys - You can do philosophy or science by analogy only up to a point, and only to explain and help clarify complex concepts. So, talking of bees and queen bees etc without attempting to provide details of what the underlying physical reality is, is only of limited use.

Now the real questions are:

1. If we assume a reductionist, material universe, then how do the tiny particles governed by the laws of physics eventually lead to cohesive, coordinated biological living beings thinking and acting with purpose, which are capable of making decisions and experiencing conciousness? Also, how does this reconcile to measurement of consciousness in a brain (the subject is actively describing a concept) where no physical activity is detectable? - see the book The Spiritual Brain
2. If on the other hand we assume that at some point the physics of the tiny particles, in living entities, are governed by certain metaphysical processes that endow that entity with consciousness and coordinated purpose and action, then what / where /how are those metaphysical processes taking place ? and how do these metaphysical proccesses interact with the physical subordinated processes to control it?

Ok. So, that was the easy part. What are the answers? Well, no one knows! I think though that I have framed the right questions.
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 05:31 pm
@amer,
amer;148661 wrote:
Guys - You can do philosophy or science by analogy only up to a point, and only to explain and help clarify complex concepts. So, talking of bees and queen bees etc without attempting to provide details of what the underlying physical reality is, is only of limited use.

Now the real questions are:

1. If we assume a reductionist, material universe, then how do the tiny particles governed by the laws of physics eventually lead to cohesive, coordinated biological living beings thinking and acting with purpose, which are capable of making decisions and experiencing conciousness? Also, how does this reconcile to measurement of consciousness in a brain (the subject is actively describing a concept) where no physical activity is detectable? - see the book The Spiritual Brain
2. If on the other hand we assume that at some point the physics of the tiny particles, in living entities, are governed by certain metaphysical processes that endow that entity with consciousness and coordinated purpose and action, then what / where /how are those metaphysical processes taking place ? and how do these metaphysical proccesses interact with the physical subordinated processes to control it?

Ok. So, that was the easy part. What are the answers? Well, no one knows! I think though that I have framed the right questions.

What if God lives among US ? :lol:Jezus Christus Triomphator
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 05:32 pm
@KaseiJin,
Hi Amer - First, personally, I don't subscribe to 'a reductionist material worldview'. I don't think such a view explains the phenomena of life adequately. The 'tiny particles governed by laws of physics' idea as an explanation for all the complex phenomena of life is a materialist myth.

I don't know about metaphysical processes, either, though. But if you look back at the beginning of this thread, I did float the ideas of entelechy and teleology. These are Aristotlean notions of how organisms are directed towards goals. Of course all such ideas are verbotten in this day and age. But I don't know how else you explain an awful lot of what goes on in biology, for example, the brain being able to re-route signals to compensate for damage, the capacity of organisms to heal and adapt to injury, and many other things. In some respects I feel the entire idea of 'genes' as 'atoms of information' is itself under threat, insofar as they can really only be meaningfully interpreted within the context, first, of the whole organism, and second, within the context of the environment.

So this is a holistic view, not necessarily metaphysical - that 'units', whether of matter or biological information, are not meaningful outside the context in which they are situated. Which more or less shoots down reductionism (which incidentally has been very useful for finding out how things work but is completely useless as an actual philosophy.)

I have read about 'The Spiritual Brain' if that is the Andrew Newberg book. Now I have a recommendation of my own - check out Why Us? How Science Rediscovered the Mystery of Ourselves by James le Fanu.
amer

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 07:59 pm
@jeeprs,
Hi Jeeprs

It seems to me that the laws of physics adequately explain how matter combines into some order of higher conglomerates for example molecules and where the matter involved is carbon based this can lead to some very complex molecules. These molecules, once again, based on the laws of physics interact to form other complex molecules which appear to perform function. Not necessarily function that can be shown to serve a higher purpose but nevertheless, these do appear to function all be it mechanistically.

The question then is, whether left long enough, can this process continue developing into ever more complex structures and mechanisms to a point where they become conscious of themselves as a unified entity and self directing? The materilaist, reductionist would argue that this is exactly what happens and that the higher level concepts of consciousness are illusory.

But clearly, this is a cop out. Its a case of the tail wagging the dog because it does not explain how how a self directing entity comes into being but just assumes that it does. And this is what is missing from all explanations. Because, what needs to be demonstrated is how material matter, under the sole laws of physics, progressively develops into higher level physical control processes i.e. conscious self directing mind, which directs the action of other matter (ie motor functions) within its own body and its interactions with the external bodies.

If a physical (non meta physical) explanation is to developed then the above mechanism must be demonstrated. We are far from this at this time I think. It is important that this mechanism should arise naturally from the laws of physics without any external input (ie from beyond physics) as a consequence of the onset of complexity only, because if any external input introduced then by definition it becomes metaphysics.

Where does entelechy and teleology fit into the above picture?
jeeprs

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 09:08 pm
@amer,
amer;148707 wrote:
Hi Jeeprs

It seems to me that the laws of physics adequately explain how matter combines into some order of higher conglomerates for example molecules and where the matter involved is carbon based this can lead to some very complex molecules.

That is not the subject matter of physics. That is chemistry. On that topic, if physics explains everything, why is there chemistry? If chemistry explains everything, why is there biology? If biology explains everything, why is there physiology? And so on. Each level of organisation contains principles which cannot be meaningfully reduced to the level below it. So it is heirarchical. Reductionism tries to ignore all that - but it never works past a certain level of analysis. Reductionism has its uses, but being a philosophy of life is not one of them.

amer;148707 wrote:
These molecules, once again, based on the laws of physics interact to form other complex molecules which appear to perform function. Not necessarily function that can be shown to serve a higher purpose but nevertheless, these do appear to function all be it mechanistically.

The question then is, whether left long enough, can this process continue developing into ever more complex structures and mechanisms to a point where they become conscious of themselves as a unified entity and self directing? The materilaist, reductionist would argue that this is exactly what happens and that the higher level concepts of consciousness are illusory.

It is pure guesswork, though. It is something that might happen, or we think likely to happen, or perhaps hope did happen, in a way that we might one day be able to understand.

amer;148707 wrote:
But clearly, this is a cop out. Its a case of the tail wagging the dog because it does not explain how how a self directing entity comes into being but just assumes that it does. And this is what is missing from all explanations. Because, what needs to be demonstrated is how material matter, under the sole laws of physics, progressively develops into higher level physical control processes i.e. conscious self directing mind, which directs the action of other matter (ie motor functions) within its own body and its interactions with the external bodies.

Glad you said that. Take a careful look at Information Theory, Evolution and the Origin of Life by Hubert P. Yockey. This is not ID or creationist propoganda, and Yockey is presenting a strictly scientific (and philosophical) argument on technical grounds. He is adamant that the origin of 'biological information' carred by DNA cannot be explained by any science we now have.

amer;148707 wrote:
If a physical (non meta physical) explanation is to developed then the above mechanism must be demonstrated. We are far from this at this time I think. It is important that this mechanism should arise naturally from the laws of physics without any external input (ie from beyond physics) as a consequence of the onset of complexity only, because if any external input introduced then by definition it becomes metaphysics.

I think the opposition between 'physical' and 'metaphysical' is far too simplistic. Many of the complexities of apparently very simple things about life, both on the biological and environmental level, defy a simple explanation. A lot of the cultural/scientific attitude towards all these questions is based on overconfidence that we really understand what 'natural' means. A sage once said 'miracles are not contrary to nature, they are contrary to what we know about nature'. But nature is full of surprises. It now looks more surprising, on the whole, than it did last century, I think.

amer;148707 wrote:
Where does entelechy and teleology fit into the above picture?

Teleology is a very ancient idea that 'everything has a goal'. It is an Aristotlean idea. In the pre-modern era, it was always assumed that God created everything in its place, and for a purpose, and that everything was working towards that purpose. It is regarded as quaint old-fashioned thinking nowadays. Any idea of purpose is deemed virtually heretical in the scientific community, because by its nature it is a very difficult thing to frame an hypothesis about. But the denial of the idea of purpose turns out to be almost impossible. Have a look at the Wikipedia article on a term called 'teleonomy', which has been suggested as a replacement for the taboo 'teleology'.

---------- Post added 04-06-2010 at 01:31 PM ----------

"entelechy" is a related idea:

1. (Philosophy) (in the philosophy of Aristotle) actuality as opposed to potentiality
2. (Philosophy) (in the system of Leibnitz) the soul or principle of perfection of an object or person; a monad or basic constituent
3. (Philosophy) something that contains or realizes a final cause, esp the vital force thought to direct the life of an organism
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 01:59 am
@jeeprs,
What if Mind needs Carbon-base but itself is complex of exchanges of elements by neurons ?

All menthal medicins seem to go this way...

Is it truth well treaden paths are most populair ?

Two questions, one fact

Pepijn Sweep
Magister Io
amer

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 06:53 pm
@Pepijn Sweep,
jeeprs;148721 wrote:
That is not the subject matter of physics. That is chemistry. On that topic, if physics explains everything, why is there chemistry? If chemistry explains everything, why is there biology? If biology explains everything, why is there physiology? And so on. Each level of organisation contains principles which cannot be meaningfully reduced to the level below it. So it is heirarchical. Reductionism tries to ignore all that - but it never works past a certain level of analysis. Reductionism has its uses, but being a philosophy of life is not one of them.

It is pure guesswork, though. It is something that might happen, or we think likely to happen, or perhaps hope did happen, in a way that we might one day be able to understand.

Glad you said that. Take a careful look at Information Theory, Evolution and the Origin of Life by Hubert P. Yockey. This is not ID or creationist propoganda, and Yockey is presenting a strictly scientific (and philosophical) argument on technical grounds. He is adamant that the origin of 'biological information' carred by DNA cannot be explained by any science we now have.

I think the opposition between 'physical' and 'metaphysical' is far too simplistic. Many of the complexities of apparently very simple things about life, both on the biological and environmental level, defy a simple explanation. A lot of the cultural/scientific attitude towards all these questions is based on overconfidence that we really understand what 'natural' means. A sage once said 'miracles are not contrary to nature, they are contrary to what we know about nature'. But nature is full of surprises. It now looks more surprising, on the whole, than it did last century, I think.

Teleology is a very ancient idea that 'everything has a goal'. It is an Aristotlean idea. In the pre-modern era, it was always assumed that God created everything in its place, and for a purpose, and that everything was working towards that purpose. It is regarded as quaint old-fashioned thinking nowadays. Any idea of purpose is deemed virtually heretical in the scientific community, because by its nature it is a very difficult thing to frame an hypothesis about. But the denial of the idea of purpose turns out to be almost impossible. Have a look at the Wikipedia article on a term called 'teleonomy', which has been suggested as a replacement for the taboo 'teleology'.

---------- Post added 04-06-2010 at 01:31 PM ----------

"entelechy" is a related idea:

1. (Philosophy) (in the philosophy of Aristotle) actuality as opposed to potentiality
2. (Philosophy) (in the system of Leibnitz) the soul or principle of perfection of an object or person; a monad or basic constituent
3. (Philosophy) something that contains or realizes a final cause, esp the vital force thought to direct the life of an organism

All matter and energy reactions obey the lawa of physics -whether we call them chemistry or biology these must obey these very same laws of physics. Chemistry deals in great detail with matter under the Electromagnetic forces only. So, in this sense, whilst biology and chemistry are distict studies from physics, they are at the most basic level laid on the foundations which physics provides.

I agree, that the direction of reductionism (from top to bottom) results in dropping essential principles, which are available at the higher levels and missing at the lower levels, nevertheless, in the reductionist/materialistc philosophic construction you must be able to move from the low level, systematically to higher levels and construct these higher level principles. In fact, these higher level principles must arise naturally and must not be externally enforced. It is critical, when taking the materialistic approach therefore to strictly stay within the realms of the physical constraints i.e. within the limits set out in the physics. It is in this sense that I have referred to physics as the acid test which is the restriction in which these physical models can be developed.

I disagree - I am stating definitions here very precisely - What is not in physics is metaphysics. 'Natural' - when used by the hard scientific community is unambiguos and refers to laws and processes that essentially are expected to arise in the manner I have outlined above under the reductionist/materialistic construction with the direction pointing from the lower levels to the higher levels.

When a statement is made that 'everything has a goal' then it must be rigorously substantiated rather than simply stated as an unproven/unprovable opinion or simply as a statement of hope or wish. Also, when you talk of 'working towards a purpose', once again it must be substantiated and be a testable principle - otherwise, it is no more than a superstitious gobbledegoodk or at best akin to Wittgenstein's pink rabbit. When you make a statement then the onus of proof lies with the maker of the statement. This is a basic test that such approches fail.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 07:00 pm
@KaseiJin,
Thanks Amer - I see your points and think you are technically quite correct in many ways. I am very glad to be an amateur in these matters.
amer

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 07:09 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;149003 wrote:
Thanks Amer - I see your points and think you are technically quite correct in many ways. I am very glad to be an amateur in these matters.

Jeeprs - you are very welcome. Thanks for your thought provoking comments.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 07:35 pm
@KaseiJin,
Do have a look at that James le Fanu book, even if you only check out the reviews. I think it is well worth reading.
Jebediah

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 07:51 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs wrote:

I'm not sure about this jeeprs. Compare it to getting directions from L.A. to NYC. You can't really do it by staying zoomed in the whole time--but you can't be zoomed out the whole time. You need to look at it from various levels.

Physics informs chemistry, chemistry informs biology, biology informs psychology. A lot of times when we think on the "upper level" we are relying on a map provided by a great deal of work on the small level. We wouldn't have maps of the US if people hadn't gone to great detail on the micro level to plot and chart it*. I don't think it's inconceivable that we can chip away on the micro level and eventually reach an understanding of consciousness.

*Well I suppose we would because of satellite photo's but that's not the point :bigsmile:
0 Replies