The truth about Iraq

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 09:37 pm
November 12, 2003
The Truth About Iraq
By Representative Marsha Blackburn (TN-7th)

It is impossible to prepare for a trip to Iraq. The heat, the sight of bombed buildings, the sand that covers everything, the smells, and the eyes of a people who are just beginning to experience freedom for the first time are overwhelming to the senses. It is the Iraqi people as both individuals and as a nation that I will remember the most.

At a Baghdad police station I shook hands with each of the 25 Iraqi women who composed the first graduating class of female police officers in the history of Iraq. This was not only a first for Iraq, it was also the first job any of these women had ever had. I will never forget the way they ran their fingers across the lettering on my business card. I was their new friend from the free world.

Iraq is taking baby steps toward freedom and they will need America to serve as a guide. Our nation so young in history will help an ancient land be free. This is a truly wonderful thing. We know that free capitalist nations do not attack one another. In Iraq our military efforts and our humanitarian work contribute to a better and safer world for all Americans.

Adults in Iraq have really never known life without Saddam Hussein. They watched as family, friends, and neighbors disappeared over the years to Saddam's torture chambers. Fortunately, the very small children retain their innocence. In Mosul, we spent time at a women's center where I learned that women in Iraq comprise 65 percent of the population, with a 70 percent illiteracy rate. I remember one little girl in particular who watched as we prepared for a photo at a women's center. I motioned the child over to us and put her in the photo with us. As she plunked herself down on my knee and pulled my arms around her I choked back tears and held her tight. This girl will grow up in freedom because of America. Her memories won't include Saddam Hussein, but instead how the American members of the 101st Airborne brought her freedom.

In Baghdad, days before the bombing, I spent time at the Al Rashid hotel and at a city hospital. The message from the hotel staff and the Iraqi officials to us as members of Congress and ambassadors from the free world was a simple -- don't leave us now. The people who lined the streets as we passed to wave and cheer the Americans sent the same message -- we are thankful and we will not forget.

Our men and women in uniform went to Iraq to defeat terrorism so that we might live without the fear of another day like September 11th when more than 3,000 Americans were murdered on our own soil. Our soldiers are so young and brave, and so confident this mission will change the world for the better. America's troops went to Iraq to change the Iraqi people, but as I talked with them about their lives, their hopes and dreams, it was clear that Iraq has changed them as well. America's veterans will understand this the most, for they too risked their lives to free nations and protect America. They too were changed by their experiences.

Everyday we are closing the circle and tightening the noose--literally and figuratively-- around the remnant of Saddam's regime and the terrorists. Each day that we destroy 100 tons of ammunitions and weapons, stabilize more villages, and train additional Iraqi security forces is a day closer to a free and democratic nation. We have already trained more than 50,000 Iraqis to protect their nation against the terrorist insurgents seeking to return the nation to Saddam Hussein. The new Iraqi army has trained one battalion and will have another 27 in place by next spring.

When you are on the ground in Iraq, you see the progress of the Iraqi Governing Council, the ministry heads, and the constitution writing committee. These men and women readily accept the task of setting their country back on a firm footing and see it as their duty to work quickly and fairly, assessing the progress and taking the setbacks in stride. They know the coalition authority is here to assist them as they rebuild their infrastructure, get their asphalt plants, their cement plants, their water plants and their power plants back in place. They know that once this is in place, that the coalition will help them 'prime the pump' of their economy and become a productive nation.

When the objection to the war in Iraq is cost, it is important to view cost from a historical perspective. WWI cost America 24 percent of our Gross Domestic Product (GDP). Following the war we loaned Germany money to rebuild and they were crushed under a debt load twice their GDP. WWII and Hitler were products of a Germany unable to repay loans. WWII cost us 130 percent of our GDP and taught us a valuable lesson. We provided grants to rebuild Europe and Japan. Today both are strong allies and defenders of freedom.

The war in Iraq and the war on terrorism are costing us less than one percent of the GDP. Stabilizing Iraq and fighting terrorism where it has its roots is a wise move for the entire free world and it will save us enormously in the future.

When I was in the control room of the 101st Airborne in Mosul, I could not help but notice a sign posted by General David Petreaus -- it said, "We are in a race to win over the people. What have you and your element done today to contribute to victory?" That is the question that each member of congress, each reporter, and each American should ask themselves every day. Our military men and women--and their families-- deserve our support, the Iraqi people deserve their chance at making a democratic society work. When freedom takes hold and Iraq is stabilized, we will be looking into the eyes of an ally.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,642 • Replies: 20
No top replies

pistoff

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 10:58 pm
Dog shite propaganda.
Truth? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 11:21 pm
Who knows. He never actually attrributes what he posts, and often heavily edits them so that anything that would go contrary to his "message" isn't there to raise questions. He probably found it somewhere and excised anything "inconvenient." He isn't intelligent enough to have made it up on his own.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 11:42 pm
Re: The truth about Iraq
perception wrote:
November 12, 2003
The Truth About Iraq
By Representative Marsha Blackburn (TN-7th)

It is impossible to prepare for a trip to Iraq. The heat, the sight of bombed buildings, the sand that covers everything, the smells, and the eyes of a people who are just beginning to experience freedom for the first time are overwhelming to the senses. It is the Iraqi people as both individuals and as a nation that I will remember the most.

Would that be the freedom to be shot by US troops randomly, harassed at checkpoints, and continuously reminded that you are subject to the qwhims of half educated 19 year olds?

Quote:
At a Baghdad police station I shook hands with each of the 25 Iraqi women who composed the first graduating class of female police officers in the history of Iraq. This was not only a first for Iraq, it was also the first job any of these women had ever had. I will never forget the way they ran their fingers across the lettering on my business card. I was their new friend from the free world.

So, we are supposed to forget that there have been women in the workforce in Iraq since the 1950s? Are we also supposed to forget that many of them were physicians, attorneys, professors, etc...?
BTW, how many of these police officers have been killed for collaborating with the invaders?

Quote:
Iraq is taking baby steps toward freedom and they will need America to serve as a guide. Our nation so young in history will help an ancient land be free. This is a truly wonderful thing. We know that free capitalist nations do not attack one another. In Iraq our military efforts and our humanitarian work contribute to a better and safer world for all Americans.

Because the US is so accomplished at installing democracy, right? Never mind that it deposed the democratically elected ruler of neighboring Iran and installed its puppet Pahlavi, or that it supported the Hussein regime in Iraq.

Quote:
Adults in Iraq have really never known life without Saddam Hussein. They watched as family, friends, and neighbors disappeared over the years to Saddam's torture chambers. Fortunately, the very small children retain their innocence.

Now they can look forward to imprisonment and torture from the US. What a plus.

Quote:
In Mosul, we spent time at a women's center where I learned that women in Iraq comprise 65 percent of the population, with a 70 percent illiteracy rate.

I would love to see evidence supporting this comment. It sounds false.

Quote:
I remember one little girl in particular who watched as we prepared for a photo at a women's center. I motioned the child over to us and put her in the photo with us. As she plunked herself down on my knee and pulled my arms around her I choked back tears and held her tight. This girl will grow up in freedom because of America. Her memories won't include Saddam Hussein, but instead how the American members of the 101st Airborne brought her freedom.

And as she grows up, will surely treasure memories of relatives killed by the occupation forces, if she isn't herself killed.

Quote:
In Baghdad, days before the bombing, I spent time at the Al Rashid hotel and at a city hospital. The message from the hotel staff and the Iraqi officials to us as members of Congress and ambassadors from the free world was a simple -- don't leave us now. The people who lined the streets as we passed to wave and cheer the Americans sent the same message -- we are thankful and we will not forget.

And the continuing attacks show the Iraqis will not forget their "liberators" anytime soon.

Quote:
Our men and women in uniform went to Iraq to defeat terrorism so that we might live without the fear of another day like September 11th when more than 3,000 Americans were murdered on our own soil.

Would that be the same 3000 citizens of at least 50 nations who were killed by Saudis? Gullibility, thy name is American.

Quote:
Our soldiers are so young and brave, and so confident this mission will change the world for the better. America's troops went to Iraq to change the Iraqi people, but as I talked with them about their lives, their hopes and dreams, it was clear that Iraq has changed them as well. America's veterans will understand this the most, for they too risked their lives to free nations and protect America. They too were changed by their experiences.

Especially those killed, and the wounded who are receiving no support for their injuries. How about military families, that are suffering. But fear not, the rich are getting tax cuts. I guess that makes everything OK, yes?

Quote:
Everyday we are closing the circle and tightening the noose--literally and figuratively-- around the remnant of Saddam's regime and the terrorists. Each day that we destroy 100 tons of ammunitions and weapons, stabilize more villages, and train additional Iraqi security forces is a day closer to a free and democratic nation. We have already trained more than 50,000 Iraqis to protect their nation against the terrorist insurgents seeking to return the nation to Saddam Hussein. The new Iraqi army has trained one battalion and will have another 27 in place by next spring.

The noose we are tightening is around our own necks. "Collaborators" are routinely shot. There is no sign of a democratic Iraq.

Quote:
When you are on the ground in Iraq, you see the progress of the Iraqi Governing Council, the ministry heads, and the constitution writing committee. These men and women readily accept the task of setting their country back on a firm footing and see it as their duty to work quickly and fairly, assessing the progress and taking the setbacks in stride. They know the coalition authority is here to assist them as they rebuild their infrastructure, get their asphalt plants, their cement plants, their water plants and their power plants back in place. They know that once this is in place, that the coalition will help them 'prime the pump' of their economy and become a productive nation.

This would be the same group of exiles, many of whom haven't set foot in the country in 30 years, who are most of them fleeing indictment for frud and larceny in many nations. Rebuilding contracts have gone to US companies that refuse to do any work until it is "safe," and efforts by the CPA to assume the role of a real government is always quashed by Bremer, the US colonial governor.

Quote:
When the objection to the war in Iraq is cost, it is important to view cost from a historical perspective. WWI cost America 24 percent of our Gross Domestic Product (GDP). Following the war we loaned Germany money to rebuild and they were crushed under a debt load twice their GDP. WWII and Hitler were products of a Germany unable to repay loans. WWII cost us 130 percent of our GDP and taught us a valuable lesson. We provided grants to rebuild Europe and Japan. Today both are strong allies and defenders of freedom.

And as strong defenders of freedom, refused to participate in this act of the rape of another country. The Germans and the Japanese have also avoided sharing the new fait of the US: That of international pariah!

Quote:
The war in Iraq and the war on terrorism are costing us less than one percent of the GDP.

Think of how much mre would have been saved had Bush not pushed the country into his private war!

Quote:
Stabilizing Iraq and fighting terrorism where it has its roots is a wise move for the entire free world and it will save us enormously in the future.

But instead, we invaded Iraq.

Quote:
When I was in the control room of the 101st Airborne in Mosul,

On her knees glorping?

Quote:
I could not help but notice a sign posted by General David Petreaus -- it said, "We are in a race to win over the people. What have you and your element done today to contribute to victory?" That is the question that each member of congress, each reporter, and each American should ask themselves every day. Our military men and women--and their families-- deserve our support, the Iraqi people deserve their chance at making a democratic society work. When freedom takes hold and Iraq is stabilized, we will be looking into the eyes of an ally.

More likely we have created a bnation sized recruiting base for anti US terror. Way to go Bush. Osama's little helper!
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 01:09 am
LOL
At least it was amusing. :wink:
0 Replies

Bugger20

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 08:52 am
hobit, That could very well be the most ignorant thing I have ever had the misfortune of reading. tsk tsk you have no clue what is going on in Iraq
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 11:00 am
Then by all means post a refutation.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 11:24 am
Bugger20 -- please read the Terms of Agreement.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 11:26 am
Quote:
U.S. making progress in Iraq, Blackburn says
By James W. Brosnan
Contact reporter
October 28, 2003

WASHINGTON - U.S. Rep. Marsha Blackburn, R-Tenn., met with Iraqi and U.S. officials for dinner at the Al Rasheed Hotel about 60 hours before the hotel was attacked.

Blackburn, whose district includes part of Shelby County, also visited the Iraqi police academy, meeting with female graduates, but she said Monday she didn't know whether any of them were killed or injured in the latest bombings that targeted three police stations.

Blackburn said she came away from Iraq convinced that the U.S. is making progress in bringing stability and democracy to the country in spite of the recent attacks.

"The tighter they pull that net around the remaining resistance from Saddam Hussein's army, the more they're going to act like a caged animal," Blackburn said.

Blackburn was among a group of eight female members of the House who visited Iraq on Thursday and Friday, although they spent their nights in Kuwait.

Blackburn said she was not surprised at hearing about the attack on the hotel after they left Iraq.

Blackburn said the most encouraging part of the visit was their trip to Mosul in an area dominated by the Kurds, who were oppressed by Saddam.

"When we rolled through the streets of Mosul, we were greeted by kids with thumbs up, waving at us," Black burn said.

The area is under the command of the 101st Airborne Division based at Fort Campbell, Ky. Blackburn said she met with troops from the division as well as members of a Tennessee National Guard military police unit whose duty has been extended.

She said the Guardsmen are concerned about being away from their jobs and families but that "the morale over there is great. It really is."

source: America at war

So perception is posting an article of November 12, which then was published at least two weeks after this honourable lady stayed two nights in a Kuweitian hotel and drove through some streets, thus finding all the truth.

A very, very clever lady!

And quite funny: she herself postes this letter under the date of November 4:

THE TRUTH ABOUT IRAQ
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 11:29 am
This sounds just like "The light at the end of the tunnel" they kept promising us (but that was in the early 70s).

Here we go again.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 11:38 am
Ya gotta actually look at her, take the full thing in. I didn't see the standard Republican string of pearls below her perky chin, but the rest is pro forma: http://www.house.gov/blackburn/press/nov_04_03.shtml
0 Replies

perception

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 11:43 am
Lightwizard wrote:
Bugger20 -- please read the Terms of Agreement.

LW

Please read Hobit's post and then tell me why you only addressed your post to Bugger 20.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 11:48 am
Perception's got a good point there . . .

GAG, CHOKE, ACK, ACK . . . .
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 11:58 am
Good posts, HobbitBob & Walter. And all the others who see this farce for what it is.

Percerption, I'm sure you see this as vindication for some of the things you see as true. I hope you understand that many of us see it as baloney.

But just as beauty is in the eyes of the beholder -- so to are perceptions on how a war is going.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 12:01 pm
Because my post:
Quote:
Who knows. He never actually attrributes what he posts, and often heavily edits them so that anything that would go contrary to his "message" isn't there to raise questions. He probably found it somewhere and excised anything "inconvenient." He isn't intelligent enough to have made it up on his own.

pointed out your past behaviour. Can you deny that this has been your usual way of posting? You never give sources, and frequently edit out bits of articles that don't fit your preferred worldview. When these actions are pointed out, you begin the name calling, and making comments like: "If I were in charge you would be shot for being a traitor." Really, percy, why do you even bother to (attempt) to defend your actions?
0 Replies

perception

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 12:15 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
Good posts, HobbitBob & Walter. And all the others who see this farce for what it is.

Percerption, I'm sure you see this as vindication for some of the things you see as true. I hope you understand that many of us see it as baloney.

But just as beauty is in the eyes of the beholder -- so to are perceptions on how a war is going.

I wouldn't mind if perceptions were as far as it goes but it's the "intent" of some of you folks that really worries me. This isn't just about Bush failing---it's about this country failing in Iraq. The way I see it failure is not an option because the consequences would be devastating to the world----I say again "FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION".
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 12:18 pm
Failure occurred when Bush and Co. made the decision to invade. Just out of curiosity, Percy, was there any real reason to invade Iraq? I am asking for your opinion, and for the "facts" that you based this opinion on.
0 Replies

Bugger20

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 12:45 pm
Re: The truth about Iraq
Quote:
Would that be the freedom to be shot by US troops randomly, harassed at checkpoints, and continuously reminded that you are subject to the qwhims of half educated 19 year olds?

First of all, they aren't shot randomly.
Second, they are understanding of the "harassment" at check points, as long as the US gets the bad guys (Ba'athists)

Quote:
So, we are supposed to forget that there have been women in the workforce in Iraq since the 1950s? Are we also supposed to forget that many of them were physicians, attorneys, professors, etc...?
BTW, how many of these police officers have been killed for collaborating with the invaders?

None of them were Iraqi women (By birth) They were educated outside of Iraq, and Saddam paid them exorbant amounts of money to create a good view of himself to the outside world. However "his" people (the real Iraqi people) had a much harder time getting jobs and security.
The Officers killed for collaborating with the invaders were killed by Ba'athists (Saddam).
The US has never killed someone FOR siding with them, however accidents do happen.

Quote:
Because the US is so accomplished at installing democracy, right? Never mind that it deposed the democratically elected ruler of neighboring Iran and installed its puppet Pahlavi, or that it supported the Hussein regime in Iraq.

It supported the Hussein regime and have realized that was wrong. Have you not gone back to fix a mistake? They are now.
The people are happier there.
The freedom is amazing compared to what they had before. (Having freedom compared to not having freedom at all that is)

Quote:
Now they can look forward to imprisonment and torture from the US. What a plus.

What imprisonment? The prisoners that the US has taken have been criminals (i.e. - Ba'athists, Saddam supporters) Meanwhile the newly installed Iraqi police department have been capturing actual criminals and gangs. (I've seen the coolest pictures and heard from friends how amazing this one gang bust was! The americans were there for support but basically let the Iraqi Police handle it! It was awesome!)

If you had seen (which I can give you the opportunity to) the torture that Saddam has put "his" people through, you would know just how much of a blessing the US really is.

Quote:
I would love to see evidence supporting this comment. It sounds false.

It may not be completely accurate, but from the Iraqi's that I know it's about right. The men of families were killed in order to keep them from having children (if they were Shia

Quote:
And as she grows up, will surely treasure memories of relatives killed by the occupation forces, if she isn't herself killed.

However, she is lucky to be alive considering that Saddam randomly picks families, and burns their children.

Quote:
And the continuing attacks show the Iraqis will not forget their "liberators" anytime soon.

What continuing attacks? Are you speaking about the terrorists and Ba'athists that are continually attacking the US while they are there to help? Seriously, You need to start making yourself intelligent enough to atleast say what attacks.

Quote:
Would that be the same 3000 citizens of at least 50 nations who were killed by Saudis? Gullibility, thy name is American.

Well you're not even really arguing there. You're just naming another evil that should be removed.
But add 6,000,000 shia muslims to the list of victims at the hands of Saddam.

Quote:
Especially those killed, and the wounded who are receiving no support for their injuries. How about military families, that are suffering. But fear not, the rich are getting tax cuts. I guess that makes everything OK, yes?

that has nothing to do with the war. (Tax cuts that is).
America is being very un-selfish in removing an evil from the world. It doesnt' matter what the reason is, or anything like that, why can't people just appreciate that Saddam no longer has power and the Iraqi people are much safer now?

Quote:
The noose we are tightening is around our own necks. "Collaborators" are routinely shot. There is no sign of a democratic Iraq.

Actually there are huge developments of democracy in Iraq. It's just that you apparently don't pay attention to people that know what they're talking about.

Quote:
This would be the same group of exiles, many of whom haven't set foot in the country in 30 years, who are most of them fleeing indictment for frud and larceny in many nations. Rebuilding contracts have gone to US companies that refuse to do any work until it is "safe," and efforts by the CPA to assume the role of a real government is always quashed by Bremer, the US colonial governor.

Those "exiles" had been exiled because Saddam would have had them removed or killed due to them being Shia. (Not all of them however). The members of the GC are some of the most intelligent and respected Iraqi leaders (both men and women) that Iraq has ever had. There is nothing wrong with them. Fraud and Larseny are complete BS. These are good lawful people. Saddam said "fraud and larseny" (if anybody did, I highly doubt anyone would though) because he wanted them returned to Iraq and killed.

About the contracts going to the US:
1) Why is it, that when the US invades a country and doesn't rebuild it, they get crapped on? Now they are rebuilding it, and getting crapped on? Make up your minds. Pick a point of view, and stick with it. Don't keep changing your opinion to stay anti-US.
2) What Iraqi companies should they give the contracts to? There are next to none (that aren't Ba'athist).

Quote:
And as strong defenders of freedom, refused to participate in this act of the rape of another country.

Tell me, how would allowing Saddam Hussein to remain in power, promote peace and justice in the world?

Quote:
Think of how much mre would have been saved had Bush not pushed the country into his private war!

Exactly!
The US are being very un-selfish in this act of liberating the Iraqi people from the death grip Saddam had on them.
They are risking their own lives, they are spending their own money, and practically ruining their own economy (which has gotten stronger, good for them!) to rid the world of an evil that the rest of the world would not support them on. I support them ridding of all evil. However, it has to be done one step at a time.

Quote:
But instead, we invaded Iraq.

But instead? Iraq has been the center of terrorism for the past 35 years! So the US has finally gone in and removed the biggest part of the terrorism going on in Iraq, and has made huge success in the war against terrorism.

Quote:
More likely we have created a bnation sized recruiting base for anti US terror. Way to go Bush. Osama's little helper!

Well first of all, the people there are very supportive of the US intervention to remove Saddam Hussein from power.

Second, please educate yourself on the situation (atleast a tiny bit please) before making arguments.

I know what's happening in Iraq long before any news source. Since April I have been posting things about the Iraqi people being happy, and how great things are and other such things LONG BEFORE anything has been reported. Why? because my sources are the Iraqi people. I get daily updates from Hassan (who gets daily updates from Saba, a man who lives in Iraq and works for the IPO)

The things that are happening in Iraq are beautiful, and no one should be against them. (Unless you are a Saddam supporter, in which case you should be killed).
You may have been against the reasons, and admittedly the US did not find WMD, however, they found loads of Mass Destruction caused by Saddam.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 12:51 pm
Love 'em or mow 'em down.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 01:21 pm
perception wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

I wouldn't mind if perceptions were as far as it goes but it's the "intent" of some of you folks that really worries me. This isn't just about Bush failing---it's about this country failing in Iraq. The way I see it failure is not an option because the consequences would be devastating to the world----I say again "FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION".

1) We should never have gotten into this in the first place.

2) "Failure" is seeming more inevitable with every day that passes. Bush is now starting to worry about the effect of the war on his re-election chances -- and apparently is trying to hasten stuff that really no longer can be hastened. Bush is going to want our troops out of harms way before the re-election campaign gets into full swing. Remember the word "Vietnam." I think you will be hearing it a lot during the next year.

MY GUESS: Just as this thing no longer is about WMD or supposed Saddam ties to Al Quieda - it soon will no longer be about seeing that a democracy emerges from the ashes.

3) Give these people the opportunity -- and they will develop an Islamic Republic which will have nothing more than superficial relationships to democracy. MY OPINION: Our interests and the world's interests were probably better served by Saddam than what will eventually emerge from this mess. The Iraqi people will be no better off with whatever comes into being than they were under Saddam.

4) As for your comment "FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION" -- my reaction would be: If failure is ever perceived to be the most opportunistic eventuality for George Bush's re-election, failure will not only be an option, it will be touted as the reason we went into Iraq in the first place.
0 Replies