What is love?

Elmud

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 06:53 pm
What is love? I don't know. I have no clue. Now, I am not talking about parental love. I have four children. I think I know what that love is. Also, I am not referring to the love for your fellow human kind. I have opinions on that too. What I am talking about, is the "love" a man has for a woman and visa verski.

I remember puppy love. I was once young and I recall that feeling. But, I later realized that could not be love. That was just emotional infatuation. She broke my heart anyway.

Jesus said the two shall become one. Is that love? I don't know. All I have ever experienced was a thing that was somewhat conditional. I think. Maybe someone out there knows what that means. I do not.

My daughter tells me that true love is unconditional and unending. I think I understand a little of what she was saying but, I haven't experienced anything like that. Well, maybe once but still, I am not sure about that either.

So, what is love. Does anyone know? In the vows the words are said, for richer or poorer. In sickness and in health. For better or for worse.Till death do us part. Good words. But, they are just words. People get divorced anyway.

So, what is love? I don't know. I don't have a clue. I am asking, even begging for someone to tell me what love is. Because, I don't know.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,944 • Replies: 92
No top replies

odenskrigare

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 08:12 pm
@Elmud,
I believe it is "Baby, don't hurt me; baby, don't hurt me (no more)."
Justin

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 08:39 pm
@Elmud,
I'll offer my opinion. Love is balance. Love is the God energy of the universe expressed in balance sexed opposites of One thing, (GOD).

When a man an woman, (sexed opposites) become One, they begin to become balanced and the closer they come to balance the more Love there is. Love and balance are so utterly close. This same type of love is expressed in nature, which is also balance.

So from where I sit, love is balance and what is out of balance, love brings into balance. Balance and Love being two very important keywords.
0 Replies

odenskrigare

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 09:56 pm
@Elmud,
What do you (Justin) have to say about homosexual relationships? Do you find them 'unbalanced'?

Not judging; strictly curious
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 10:02 pm
@Elmud,
Love is caring...If you don't care you don't love...It is a form of relationship, and like all relationships it is supposed to feed your life, or at a minimum, the life of your kind...If it does neither, it is a failed relationship without meaning.... And no, I do not believe it is possible to love objects such as gold, or ideas such as power... I believe it is possible to give objects and ideas meaning, and it is possible for these forms to be forms of relationship as much as love is... I don't think you can love them, because they cannot love you, cannot need you, and cannot be made whole by you...
Clearly, people will often give up their lives when they do not know what their lives are for objects and ideas.... In the end, people with objects and ideas will give them up for a moment more of life, because at some point they realize that objects or ideas have no meaning without life...

When people love, the give up a portion of their lives, themselves, to have love... If both people give up some of themselves to have love, who loves, and who do they love??? They give themselves to the other, and there with the other find themselves... So when they face death with love they know they will not die so long as their lover lives, and when their lover dies they feel they have been cheated by death of all that gives life meaning, and dead themselves, unable to feel, fearful and alone... So to love is to care, but love is courage too, for only the brave can love, and only the brave can trust, and trust is an essential part of any healthy form of relationship...And where is the trust in any so called love of objects or ideas???If you cannot fear it hurting you, or dieing and taking your life with it, it is not love...It is avarice and not cupidice...
Theaetetus

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 10:08 pm
@Elmud,
I think the love of two individuals is nothing more than the obliteration of two isolated individuals to form one single individual. To fully love another, you must become them as they become you. Without that unity, there cannot be true love between two separate individual identities. In other words, love is the true opposite of pure indifference.
0 Replies

Elmud

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 10:09 pm
@odenskrigare,
odenskrigare wrote:
I believe it is "Baby, don't hurt me; baby, don't hurt me (no more)."

Allegory is wearing me T-Totally out.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 10:16 pm
@Elmud,
Isn't that supposed to be: beat me, spank me, make me write bad checks???
0 Replies

Justin

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 11:15 pm
@Fido,
odenskrigare wrote:
What do you (Justin) have to say about homosexual relationships? Do you find them 'unbalanced'?

Not judging; strictly curious

No problem. It's a legit question. Honestly it truly makes no difference in my finding of unbalance in another because as I find that unbalance within another, I'm lead to believe that the unbalance or imbalance is within me.

Homosexual and heterosexual truly make no difference because if there be God there be One and if there not be God, there still be One. Divided expression of one. So in essence, you and I may be males but our nature which seeks balance has both male and female equally within, each balancing out the other in-as-much as we allow, but physically, omnipresent in nature. We cannot escape balance. If homosexuals have a balanced relationship and it works for them and expresses love and creates balance, congratulations!... Who are we to judge?

Who am I to judge the homosexual? Who am I to judge anyone for that matter? In the philosophy I'm discovering, as I judge someone else, I also judge myself;

• As I condemn someone else, I condemn myself.
  • As I think wrong or out of balance about someone else, it equally manifests that imbalance within myself.
  • What I put in is what I get out.:surrender:
  • You are what you eat. :Glasses:
  • You are what you think you are... and the list goes on and on.

So, that's my answer and I take the same stance on abortion, like it or don't. It's a fairly simple philosophy and one that a guy by the name of Jesus, (supposedly) SHOWED us. Not that I believe in all that either but, the boy had a hold of something, whoever he was. LOL. This is not to say that I didn't find it wrong earlier in my life but I was also raised fundamental Christian and today I can't believe how anyone could be so naive... but then again that naivety was within me and the could very well be only a reflection. Imagine that... LOL.

That's my philosophy based on my experience. To each their own and all One.

- Peace

ADDED: - and back on topic.

I must add, after re-reading the original post, that we express love and the love we express comes from the love we know within. Love is God, Love is Balance, Love is Light, Love is Creation, Love is all there is. Love is not something we can find in someone else. That's my entire point.
Holiday20310401

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 11:38 pm
@Justin,
I don't understand how oneness implies balance any more than a duality. You could have -4, 4 and sum those together. Then you could just have zero. What's the difference?
Justin

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 12:07 am
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401;51728 wrote:
I don't understand how oneness implies balance any more than a duality. You could have -4, 4 and sum those together. Then you could just have zero. What's the difference?

The difference is you and I. Us and them. The difference is what humankind brings to the table... the difference is you... US. WE, they them.
odenskrigare

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 12:20 am
@Justin,
Justin wrote:
No problem. It's a legit question. Honestly it truly makes no difference in my finding of unbalance in another because as I find that unbalance within another, I'm lead to believe that the unbalance or imbalance is within me.

Homosexual and heterosexual truly make no difference because if there be God there be One and if there not be God, there still be One. Divided expression of one. So in essence, you and I may be males but our nature which seeks balance has both male and female equally within, each balancing out the other in-as-much as we allow, but physically, omnipresent in nature. We cannot escape balance. If homosexuals have a balanced relationship and it works for them and expresses love and creates balance, congratulations!... Who are we to judge?

Who am I to judge the homosexual? Who am I to judge anyone for that matter? In the philosophy I'm discovering, as I judge someone else, I also judge myself;

• As I condemn someone else, I condemn myself.
  • As I think wrong or out of balance about someone else, it equally manifests that imbalance within myself.
  • What I put in is what I get out.:surrender:
  • You are what you eat. :Glasses:
  • You are what you think you are... and the list goes on and on.

So, that's my answer and I take the same stance on abortion, like it or don't. It's a fairly simple philosophy and one that a guy by the name of Jesus, (supposedly) SHOWED us. Not that I believe in all that either but, the boy had a hold of something, whoever he was. LOL. This is not to say that I didn't find it wrong earlier in my life but I was also raised fundamental Christian and today I can't believe how anyone could be so naive... but then again that naivety was within me and the could very well be only a reflection. Imagine that... LOL.

That's my philosophy based on my experience. To each their own and all One.

- Peace

ADDED: - and back on topic.

I must add, after re-reading the original post, that we express love and the love we express comes from the love we know within. Love is God, Love is Balance, Love is Light, Love is Creation, Love is all there is. Love is not something we can find in someone else. That's my entire point.

I don't want to be dense but, frankly, I'm not sure what any of this means.
Justin

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 10:22 am
@odenskrigare,
odenskrigare wrote:
I don't want to be dense but, frankly, I'm not sure what any of this means.

Yeah, most don't. Elmud had asked about Love and I explained my perception of it. You had asked about Homosexuality and balance and basically my answer is I don't give a hoot what someone else is doing as it's not my place to be judgmental. To each their own.

Very few people, if anyone at all has ever understood what I'm saying. For me it's elementary.
Joe

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 07:40 pm
@Justin,
Love is subject to all the influences of the world but still causes the Human race to feel a part of something else. If love is balance, which I think is a good start, then you have but know choice but to way your worth against another woman or man. This is done in more ways then I could count, but the process always leads back to the same fragile state. Which is the bliss we feel for another with no ego or effort what so ever.

That is the love Ive had once and will always want. Oh and that puppy love that was brought up, i wish I was trapped in that bubble still. Nothing made sense, but it did at the same time. lol. Talking about love without getting sentimental seems kind of predictable.

Anyways, Love also has expanded over the years I have had growing up. What I wanna know is why so many stages? Or, what makes these seem different. Different types of love that is.

peace
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 07:50 pm
@Elmud,
Elmud wrote:
What is love? I don't know. I have no clue.
Elmud

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 09:41 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

Nice poem Kennethamy.
0 Replies

Holiday20310401

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 09:49 pm
@Justin,
Justin wrote:
The difference is you and I. Us and them. The difference is what humankind brings to the table... the difference is you... US. WE, they them.

So what are you saying? We are all one, but at the same time able to maintain individuality, and the reciprocity and mutual relationships between the differences are able to balance, the ability to balance is love?

I thought this oneness implied there was no difference between us in that we are all connected, so is it just the realization of the fact that allows for a system of love?:puzzled:
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 10:25 pm
@Elmud,
Love is an emotion.

What are you confused about?
Elmud

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 10:32 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:
Love is an emotion.

What are you confused about?

< Admires the sterility of that answer. Thanks.:perplexed:
Zetherin

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 10:38 pm
@Elmud,
Elmud wrote:
< Admires the sterility of that answer. Thanks.:perplexed:

From an evolutionary standpoint, love is said to have evolved from paleocircuits within the mammalian brain, and is designed for care, feeding, and grooming of offspring.

As humans with conscious rationalization (developed frontal lobes, among other things), we can defy nature's intentions and channel love (and any emotion) as we choose.

Beyond that, I don't see anything inherently mystical/interesting about love in particular. I find it absolutely fascinating we have these emotions, but the emphasis is on the "s".