Suicide: cowardly or courageous?

hue-man

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2009 05:47 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Cowardly unless you are going through unavoidable and terminal physiological torment.
0 Replies

Alan McDougall

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 03:09 am
@xris,
xris wrote:
Every suicide has a story, different stores different humans.Is murder the act of madness or mental illness? if we can be drawn into murder and be condemned why not suicide?There are degrees of murder and in my humble opinion there is with suicide.My experiences of the act gives me the opinion that many are self centred selfish acts of a coward.I am not condemning all suicides as selfish but i will when the evidence gives me that right.A coward like all human weaknesses is not something that people choose to be, it is who they are BUT it must be judged as such.I have weakness for the opposite sex but if i had my way ide be less so but that is me and i must be judged by who i am not what i would choose to be..

Respectfully xris unless you have been down the road of desperation leading to suicide like I have anything you state is just an outside personal opinion.

It is like telling a person from Timbuktu that that city is just a myth. To speak about it with knowledge you must have lived in that real city, in the country of Mali in Northern Africa.

I repeat suicide is neither cowardly or courageous it is an act of utter desperation , where death becomes more attractive that the pain of mortal life.

I can speak with authority on this subject because I have tried to kill myself to escape the unspeakable horror, desolation and fear of an extreme untreated manic depressive.

I really take umbrage that it was an act of cowardice or a courageous way to escape, it went way beyond those adjectives, it was a mindless need to blot out my unbearable existence

I cant think of anything more courageous that trying to live with the unspeakable horror of manic depression than I did most of my life

There is this Hollywood idea of manic depression , where every second celebrity proudly proclaim they are sufferers from the bipolar disorder (a watered down title for manic depression)

Bipolar is now the fashionable disease to have , because being a bipolar equates to genius.
xris

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 04:22 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall wrote:
Respectfully xris unless you have been down the road of desperation leading to suicide like I have anything you state is just an outside personal opinion.

It is like telling a person from Timbuktu that that city is just a myth. To speak about it with knowledge you must have lived in that real city, in the country of Mali in Northern Africa.

I repeat suicide is neither cowardly or courageous it is an act of utter desperation , where death becomes more attractive that the pain of mortal life.

I can speak with authority on this subject because I have tried to kill myself to escape the unspeakable horror, desolation and fear of an extreme untreated manic depressive.

I really take umbrage that it was an act of cowardice or a courageous way to escape, it went way beyond those adjectives, it was a mindless need to blot out my unbearable existence

I cant think of anything more courageous that trying to live with the unspeakable horror of manic depression than I did most of my life

There is this Hollywood idea of manic depression , where every second celebrity proudly proclaim they are sufferers from the bipolar disorder (a watered down title for manic depression)

Bipolar is now the fashionable disease to have , because being a bipolar equates to genius.
Thats your story Alan its not everyone's story.Would you condone murder for the same reasons?Certain men will say i was pushed into murder by the circumstance..Its still murder, its still suicide both have their repercussions.Im not judging the individual, im commenting on the subject as a whole.Glad you made it friend.Xris
Khethil

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 07:49 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall wrote:
... where death becomes more attractive that the pain of mortal life.

Great way to phrase it.

Yea, it's such a horrible place; yet it remains ineffable - unless someone actually experiences that feeling, there's really no way to describe it sufficiently.

Thanks
0 Replies

Alan McDougall

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 08:56 am
@xris,
xris;59009 wrote:
Thats your story Alan its not everyone's story.Would you condone murder for the same reasons?Certain men will say i was pushed into murder by the circumstance..Its still murder, its still suicide both have their repercussions.Im not judging the individual, im commenting on the subject as a whole.Glad you made it friend.Xris

I fully agree that suicide can be considered cowardly and its hurts the ones left behind terribly. But the mind of a desperate suicidal person has gone beyond logic and altruism. They are utterly and completely absorbed in the own desolation, they have become filled with only one need to exterminate their unbearable life.

Except for for altruistic suicide this state of mind is total selfishness nothing else matters apart from elimination your unbearably miserable life

In fact in my case I really felt I was doing those I left behind a great favor by removing my miserable presence from them so they could get on and enjoy life they way they should without worrying about this crazy up and down totally unpredictable person

I agree with most of your response accept for the equating murder to suicide as your analogy.

There is a type of suicide that could really be considered brave is a person giving up their life to save another. An example of this was in a holocaust death camp. For some minor transgression ten inmates were selected to be put in a pit and left there to die, as a warning for the others

One young man was selected for this unspeakable slow death in the pit, a elderly priest standing next to him who was unselected asked if they would take him instead of the young man.

That is courageous suicide, but it beats me how anyone could consider suicide cowardly, it takes courage to kill yourself, that is why so few desperate people do not go through with it.

XRIS this is long ago and just an awful memory of unrelenting fear, I now embrace each precious moment of life
xris

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 12:17 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Alan i suffer when i hear one poor soul has taking his or her life, it is all our failures as a society.I will never judge the individual, never but i cant condone it on principle.Should i say its the reserve of heroes or a natural course of events when things get bad.If someone is terminally ill , mentally sick, in the depths of depression my understanding will go out to them and i would give my judgement as understandable. Im not a fundamentalist who commands life is sacred ,but a lovers tiff, a silly family row, those i have heard of as reasons, i cant condone them.Its the suffering of those left that only ever worries me.
Alan McDougall

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 06:38 pm
@xris,
xris;59070 wrote:
Alan i suffer when i hear one poor soul has taking his or her life, it is all our failures as a society.I will never judge the individual, never but i cant condone it on principle.Should i say its the reserve of heroes or a natural course of events when things get bad.If someone is terminally ill , mentally sick, in the depths of depression my understanding will go out to them and i would give my judgement as understandable. Im not a fundamentalist who commands life is sacred ,but a lovers tiff, a silly family row, those i have heard of as reasons, i cant condone them.Its the suffering of those left that only ever worries me.

XRIS you are absolutely correct you, me or no one else should ever condone suicide, a warm word of comfort could redirect that desperate person away from taking his life

But if we try to understand the state of the mind of a suicidal, then maybe we can reach out and help instead of making philosophical arguments about the morality of the act, which is self murder

I am not suggesting that you are debating from a cold hearted philosophical platform as your compassion is very evident in you posts
0 Replies