Suicide: cowardly or courageous?

No0ne

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 04:18 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Suicide?
The catholic chruch deems it a mortal sin?

:listening:
If ye know that if ye go to a place ye will die, is that not called suicide?

Ha...Hath not even the corner stone of the catholic faith that doeth no sin, gone to such a place knowning that thy would surly die?

For surly thy one hath choosen to die...for that be suicide...
0 Replies

Thucydides

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 10:27 pm
@WithoutReason,
Well, Sleepy, do you know what would happen to you if you killed yourself?
No, you have no idea. So I think my point is pretty solid. That's kind of a murky vision if you ask me.
Elmud

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 11:10 pm
@Sleepy phil,
Sleepy wrote:
Angry? Yes, of course; who wouldn't be angry in my situation? Get back and hurt those that hurt me? I don't see how suicide accomplishes that. She cheated on me, lied to me, and left me for another guy. OK, she might feel a bit of shame or guilt perhaps, but hurt? I don't see how. There was no "problem" and I didn't consider suicide as a solution to any problem. There was nothing to reconcile. Sometimes, you can get to a point in life where you just don't want to live any more, just tired of living. I still am. But we all seem to have these innate, irrational instinct to live no matter what, that makes it very difficult to produce the overwhelming will power necessary to carry out a suicide.

Sometimes, just to have someone listen.No replies. No advise. Just,,,,someone who will listen.
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 11:13 pm
@Thucydides,
I think what drives people to suicide depends on their circumstances. I think it's very sad and always question could there have been light at the end of the tunnel for that person and did they ask that themselves because to reach that point of wanting to die surely they must've believed there wasn't. I have met people who have been through trauma and were strong enough to stick it out and lived,(and not even contemplate suicide),I hear of people who's circumstances are so horrific that they chose to leave this world as an alternative and I can understand that,I think it's very sad. I have heard of people who 'can't be bothered and give up' and some people who are affected so deeply by circumstances,(outward and inward) that they just cant cope and choose to go. Either way it's very sad but I do believe it can be both,cowardly and courageous but above all else tragic. It can is devastating for the family and friends so what is it for them,painful?

I get the impression that some people,(ie.in general, not you guys),who think it's courageous believe this because they wouldn't do it themselves as it's just a very hard thing to do,I find it hard to swallow when people say this not because I think the person just gave up and it's 'a cop out' but because some people say that about evey suicide without knowing why the person did it or even mentioning how sad it is a person has resorted to suicide so I believe they are just conveying their own opinions on the subject without considering the person in any way,I also think you need to look at why the person did it before you are able to make any judgement. Most intelligent people do it because they cannot cope and I can understand that and it is a brave thing to do,(I think),other people just give up and I dont really know what to think about them,you can ask well did they try and if not that goes against what we believe but I think you should try to go beyond that as it is such a serious thing and find out as much as you can about their circumstances.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2009 01:18 am
@WithoutReason,
I haven't read much that's been said here, but I'll just answer the thread question:

I don't feel we should pass an overarching judgment on suicide, for we do not know the circumstances with each case. Applying a presumptuous adjective to the act, without knowing what was going through the mind of the particular individual, seems short-sighted to me.
Elmud

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2009 03:59 pm
@Zetherin,
Sometimes we tend to try and put things into a box. To insinuate that this can only be a moral issue is shortsighted.
0 Replies

Aphoric

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2009 05:26 pm
@WithoutReason,
I'm sure some version of this has been stated.

The way you put it, it does indeed sound courageous, and even somewhat poetic. However, I doubt the motive of everyone who kills themselves is simply to face that fear and overcome it. I can't say I know what went on in the heads of everyone who has ever killed themselves, but every case I've heard of has always seemed an act of avoidance of whatever should befall the person had they continued living. Perhaps at that time they fear whatever lies in their future more than death.

Actually, as I think about it, it seems to me suicide is always a form of escape (unless it is an act of martyrdom). Death comes for everyone, and I think that in the moments before it does, should you choose to accept it, and face it with grace and dignity, that is worthy of being called courageous. That being said, to skip all of the life that is to come before that seems to me like escapism. Therefore I'd say suicide generally is cowardly, either that or just plain foolish - or are those words synonymous?
Elmud

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2009 05:42 pm
@Aphoric,
Aphoric wrote:
I'm sure some version of this has been stated.

The way you put it, it does indeed sound courageous, and even somewhat poetic. However, I doubt the motive of everyone who kills themselves is simply to face that fear and overcome it. I can't say I know what went on in the heads of everyone who has ever killed themselves, but every case I've heard of has always seemed an act of avoidance of whatever should befall the person had they continued living. Perhaps at that time they fear whatever lies in their future more than death.

Actually, as I think about it, it seems to me suicide is always a form of escape (unless it is an act of martyrdom). Death comes for everyone, and I think that in the moments before it does, should you choose to accept it, and face it with grace and dignity, that is worthy of being called courageous. That being said, to skip all of the life that is to come before that seems to me like escapism. Therefore I'd say suicide generally is cowardly, either that or just plain foolish - or are those words synonymous?

I think it was Aedes who said that 97% of all suicides were a product of mental illness. What part of mental illness do you not understand?
Jacob phil

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 03:55 am
@WithoutReason,
To tell you the truth I believe it is courageous, afterall our lives are all we have and to end it just like that must take some courage. Why would it be cowardice? It's not like life offers some sort of a clear answer or a meaning to those who live a 100 years, it's still the same life with same old offerings..

ps: I'm not a pessimist!
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 08:30 am
@Sleepy phil,
Sleepy wrote:
Angry? Yes, of course; who wouldn't be angry in my situation? Get back and hurt those that hurt me? I don't see how suicide accomplishes that. She cheated on me, lied to me, and left me for another guy. OK, she might feel a bit of shame or guilt perhaps, but hurt? I don't see how. There was no "problem" and I didn't consider suicide as a solution to any problem. There was nothing to reconcile. Sometimes, you can get to a point in life where you just don't want to live any more, just tired of living. I still am. But we all seem to have these innate, irrational instinct to live no matter what, that makes it very difficult to produce the overwhelming will power necessary to carry out a suicide.

Which is a good thing because at some point in the future you may find something worth living for and stop being tired of living. I've been there,ie.tired of living,I have felt suicide was on option but an innate instinct prevented me to not comtemplate it any further than an option and Im glad,I have a great job now,making great friends and although a little tired of life Im not tired of living anymore,it's hard when your in it but great if you can come out of it and you can.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 01:47 pm
@Elmud,
Elmud wrote:
I think it was Aedes who said that 97% of all suicides were a product of mental illness. What part of mental illness do you not understand?

All of it.

What constitutes "mental illness", and are we sure it's 97%? The majority of suicides I personally know of, I wouldn't consider that individual having a "mental illness". Though, I could just be in that 3% or don't know the exact definition of "mental illness" being used here. How broad is "mental illness"? Is depression, sadness or loathing, "mental illness"?

Depending on how broad "mental illness" is, we could say all humans have a "mental illness", no?
Caroline

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 05:13 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:
All of it.

What constitutes "mental illness", and are we sure it's 97%? The majority of suicides I personally know of, I wouldn't consider that individual having a "mental illness". Though, I could just be in that 3% or don't know the exact definition of "mental illness" being used here. How broad is "mental illness"? Is depression, sadness or loathing, "mental illness"?

Depending on how broad "mental illness" is, we could say all humans have a "mental illness", no?

'They' say that depression is a form of mental illness,so therefore a high percentage of us have suffered from mental illness at some point in our lives. I used to see mental illness as people who were insane but not anymore!
0 Replies

Aphoric

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 10:41 pm
@Elmud,
Elmud;53088 wrote:

What do you think I was describing?
0 Replies

Alan McDougall

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2009 01:20 am
@WithoutReason,
I repeat suicide is not cowardly or courageous it is always an act of desperation
Khethil

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2009 05:24 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall wrote:
I repeat suicide is not cowardly or courageous it is always an act of desperation

This is how I, too, have always looked at it. My feeling is that a lot of folks calling it 'cowardly' - although they may really think it so - are simply expressing their distaste, disgust or disapproval by using that word.
xris

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2009 05:41 am
@Khethil,
Every suicide has a story, different stores different humans.Is murder the act of madness or mental illness? if we can be drawn into murder and be condemned why not suicide?There are degrees of murder and in my humble opinion there is with suicide.My experiences of the act gives me the opinion that many are self centred selfish acts of a coward.I am not condemning all suicides as selfish but i will when the evidence gives me that right.A coward like all human weaknesses is not something that people choose to be, it is who they are BUT it must be judged as such.I have weakness for the opposite sex but if i had my way ide be less so but that is me and i must be judged by who i am not what i would choose to be..
Khethil

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2009 05:49 am
@xris,
Hey Xris,

xris wrote:
My experiences of the act gives me the opinion that many are self centred selfish acts of a coward.

I hear ya... and I can't deny that some are probably just as you say (I can't know what I haven't experienced). It just seems that; to judge such a sad act of self-destruction as "selfish" and "cowardly" condemns someone who, more than anything else, likely needed understanding.

Again, I'm not professing to know all motives behind all suicide attempts; I can only come from the perspective I have.

Thanks
xris

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2009 06:09 am
@Khethil,
Khethil wrote:
Hey Xris,

I hear ya... and I can't deny that some are probably just as you say (I can't know what I haven't experienced). It just seems that; to judge such a sad act of self-destruction as "selfish" and "cowardly" condemns someone who, more than anything else, likely needed understanding.

Again, I'm not professing to know all motives behind all suicide attempts; I can only come from the perspective I have.

Thanks
Is not the act of condemning a vague useless action but its all we have when we see a certain weakness.I cant change that person , i cant go back in time and resolve their weakness.I have a good friend who was suffering from a protection racket and sought my help.I faced the bully out in his shop and said if he returned he would regret it."How did you face him Xris" my friend asked "He was twice the size of you"."Mike"i replied" my father always told me a coward dies a million times a hero just the once"It does not make me better than my friend just different.
Khethil

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2009 06:23 am
@xris,
xris wrote:
Is not the act of condemning a vague useless action but its all we have when we see a certain weakness.I cant change that person , i cant go back in time and resolve their weakness.I have a good friend who was suffering from a protection racket and sought my help.I faced the bully out in his shop and said if he returned he would regret it."How did you face him Xris" my friend asked "He was twice the size of you"."Mike"i replied" my father always told me a coward dies a million times a hero just the once"It does not make me better than my friend just different.

I hear ya, and your point's well taken. Strength of character in facing our difficulties must remain a top priority of the highest importance. Your point's well conceded. In most cases, no doubt, dire issues in life can, should and must be endured with fortitude and forbearance.

But... but... but... I've felt that black desperation that screams "I just can't DO this anymore". For my part, I've pressed on (mainly because I see suicide as accomplishing nothing more than ensuring that things won't get better); but it's such a dark, desperate place. For those who've fallen prey to this particular demon, I just find it hard to justify such a harsh judgment of the act in general.

I suppose we're best agreeing to disagree - and I think we'd probably both agree that the circumstances and mental dispositions of those involved would likely play a pivotal role in how such an attempt can or should be characterized. I also have within my, in this issue, a little voice that cautions, "... take care here, how can you judge an act of desperation on someone else's part?" I do - I think we all do to some extent - yet the caution should remain nonetheless.

Thanks for engaging, Xris.
xris

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2009 07:34 am
@Khethil,
Khethil wrote:
I hear ya, and your point's well taken. Strength of character in facing our difficulties must remain a top priority of the highest importance. Your point's well conceded. In most cases, no doubt, dire issues in life can, should and must be endured with fortitude and forbearance.

But... but... but... I've felt that black desperation that screams "I just can't DO this anymore". For my part, I've pressed on (mainly because I see suicide as accomplishing nothing more than ensuring that things won't get better); but it's such a dark, desperate place. For those who've fallen prey to this particular demon, I just find it hard to justify such a harsh judgment of the act in general.

I suppose we're best agreeing to disagree - and I think we'd probably both agree that the circumstances and mental dispositions of those involved would likely play a pivotal role in how such an attempt can or should be characterized. I also have within my, in this issue, a little voice that cautions, "... take care here, how can you judge an act of desperation on someone else's part?" I do - I think we all do to some extent - yet the caution should remain nonetheless.

Thanks for engaging, Xris.
Thank you..I have had my problems with depression and that horrible black hole that seems impossible to climb out of..im not really that judgmental on others Ive just seen the heartache that it can bring to those left.thanks xris..
0 Replies